Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ah, the original Targaryens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

So was Cleopatra being insanely hot some kind of weird overflow error where incredible amounts of inbreeding for generations produced increasingly hosed up people until it somehow wrapped around to the other side?

Maybe they just thought the hapsburg chin was really fetching back then

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

So was Cleopatra being insanely hot some kind of weird overflow error where incredible amounts of inbreeding for generations produced increasingly hosed up people until it somehow wrapped around to the other side?

There's always statistical chance involved in genetics. Inbreeding weights this somewhat but not completely. She might have just been lucky.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Regarde Aduck posted:

There's always statistical chance involved in genetics. Inbreeding weights this somewhat but not completely. She might have just been lucky.
It turns out there is a "hot" gene and by the time she was born her family dna was 90% "hot".

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Like Julius, Antony, and Marcus, i am attracted to partners with a nice ability to give me economic control of the middle east and territorial consolidation behaves rather like a recessive gene.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

piL posted:

Like Julius, Antony, and Marcus, i am attracted to partners with a nice ability to give me economic control of the middle east and territorial consolidation behaves rather like a recessive gene.

Vast and enormously fertile... floodplains.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Either that or she was the end result of royalty boning their hotter slaves for ten generations, thus selecting for hotness and gross tyranny

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

Either that or she was the end result of royalty boning their hotter slaves for ten generations, thus selecting for hotness and gross tyranny
:hmmyes:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

By contemporary accounts, Cleopatra (the one who hung out with Julius) was not actually insanely hot in a physical sense. She was considered attractive because she was extremely intelligent, charismatic and charming.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
A sculpture of Cleopatra dating to around the time she visited Rome:

View from the front:

A sculpture of either Cleopatra or her daughter, Cleopatra:

And a side view:

(fine, "of either Cleopatra VII Philopator or her daughter, Cleopatra Selene II")

I think the first sculpture, at least, looks like an attractive woman who is entirely within the realm of "normal hot person". But it's a sculpture, and presumably idealized at least a bit. And so her being wicked, eastern seductress is:

Sagebrush posted:

By contemporary accounts, Cleopatra (the one who hung out with Julius) was not actually insanely hot in a physical sense. She was considered attractive because she was extremely intelligent, charismatic and charming.
Intellect, wit, and being thirty years younger than the guy she was seducing:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

piL posted:

She's beautiful! She's rich! She's got huge... Tracts of land!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inbreeding doesn't create errors, it increases the chances that errors manifest because the two sets of genes are similar.

Start off with barbarian Hapsburgs and of course you end up with Charles II.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Byzantine posted:

Inbreeding doesn't create errors, it increases the chances that errors manifest because the two sets of genes are similar.

Start off with barbarian Hapsburgs and of course you end up with Charles II.

The best way to prevent inbreeding is to simply castrate any nobles who get too ambitious

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://youtu.be/vDrsiGw1FIw

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In the same way Tolkien made up the Ents to call Shakespeare a hack, so too did the Futurama writers attack Lonzo and Oscar in the exact same way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

George W. Bush approval

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I listened to a lecture series on ancient Egypt a bit ago and was entertained to find out how many Cleopatras there were. Cleopatras were just all over the place back then, up to and including including the famous Cleopatra's sister, Cleopatra.

There's a solid, like, I dunno, 400 years of british history that is just a bunch of guys within one or two degrees of being called aethelfrid dying and making replacements also called some variation of that. Except when they're called Cedric instead.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Oct 13, 2022

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

There's a solid, like, I dunno, 400 years of british history that is just a bunch of guys within one or two degrees of being called aethelfrid dying and making replacements also called some variation of that. Except when they're called Cedric instead.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Truly the universal cultural constant across the entire planet's history is that coming up with more than one name is hard.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
James
James
James
James
Mary Queen of Scots
James

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon posted:

George W. Bush approval

i like that his approval rating shoots up slightly before each event

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its wild he let 2000 people die and the public was like "dang i love bush now"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its wild he blew up three towers and the public was like "dang i love bush now"

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Truly the universal cultural constant across the entire planet's history is that coming up with more than one name is hard.

I knew a guy in college with the exact same name as his brother, and apparently all male cousins of his generation in his family. Seems like some great-great-etc-grandfather of theirs decided to name all of his future descendants but only wrote down one name per gender per generation lol

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Xun posted:

I knew a guy in college with the exact same name as his brother, and apparently all male cousins of his generation in his family. Seems like some great-great-etc-grandfather of theirs decided to name all of his future descendants but only wrote down one name per gender per generation lol

From Robert A. Heinlein's The Number of the Beast

quote:

“No. But that’s not my name. I’m Zebadiah J. Carter. Zebulon E.-for-Edward Carter and called ‘Ed’ is my cousin. While he is probably listed as being on campus, in fact he is doing an exchange year in Singapore. It’s not as improbable as it sounds; all male members of my family have first names starting with ‘Z.’ It has to do with money and a will and a trust fund and the fact that my grandfather and his father were somewhat eccentric.”

Having the same name as your siblings/cousins is wild, though. Did they go by middle names? Initials? Will/Bill/Liam variations? I imagine there was a mix.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It gets a lot worse. By brother’s best childhood friend grew up to have ten kids, all named after him. David junior is fine, but Davida is just going too far.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hey, if it was good enough for George Foreman

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have an ancestor who had the exact same name as his 1 year older brother (all name parts). They were known as "Big N." & "Li'l N."

As for the reason, tradition was strong: You name the oldest son after paternal grandfather, oldest daughter after paternal grandmother, then second oldest after maternal grandparets, then after paternal brothers in order of age, etc., and since their grandfathers had the same first name, welp

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Domus posted:

It gets a lot worse. By brother’s best childhood friend grew up to have ten kids, all named after him. David junior is fine, but Davida is just going too far.

Those aren't so bad, but I have no idea how to even pronounce Davidb, Davidc, etc

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Davidella, Davidina and Davidette

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, if it was good enough for George Foreman

What happened to Georges One-Threeman? :ohdear:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
David, Davego, Davsuperego

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just use Star Wars clone rules. David, Daavid, Daviid...

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

What happened to Georges One-Threeman? :ohdear:

The same thing that happened to Foreman: Muhammad Ali

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Daid, Daiid, Daiiid, Daivd, Davd, David, Daviid, Daviiid, Daixd, Daxd

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_LXXII%2C_Prince_Reuss_of_Lobenstein_and_Ebersdorf

The house of Reuss took it too far

'All the males of the House of Reuss are named Heinrich (Henry) plus a number. In the elder line the numbering covers all male children of the elder House, and the numbers increase until 100 is reached and then start again at 1. In the younger line the system is similar but the numbers increase until the end of the century before starting again at 1. This odd regulation was formulated as a Family Law in 1688, but the tradition of the uniformity of name was in practice as early as 1200. '

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Tsaedje posted:

the numbers increase until 100 is reached and then start again at 1. In the younger line the system is similar but the numbers increase until the end of the century before starting again at 1.

pathetic. need to properly commit to the bit imo

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Clearly the database field only has two digits and then rolls over.

That being said, I really enjoy the generation name that could be a thing in Chinese families at one point. You give everyone in a family's generation the same middle name that indexes them to that generation. You can further organize it by having that name be the next word from a previously established family generational poem.

On the one hand, very organized. On the other hand, I hope your great great great grandparents didn't pick a poo poo poem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_name

Being part of a four hundred year old joke poem would be hilarious though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

T.C. posted:

Clearly the database field only has two digits and then rolls over.

All hail Robert FF, the two hundred and fifty‐sixth of his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.