Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

el oso posted:

I find it funny how they made Man of Medan's biggest name actor and cover star, Shawn Ashmore, incredibly easy to miss out on nearly the entire story. In my first playthrough I got him off the boat at the start and then he was just out of the game until the very end

Honestly compared to The Quarry's "let's get this moderately large name actor and make him talk like someone involuntarily coming off antidepressants" that's almost a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

el oso posted:

I find it funny how they made Man of Medan's biggest name actor and cover star, Shawn Ashmore, incredibly easy to miss out on nearly the entire story. In my first playthrough I got him off the boat at the start and then he was just out of the game until the very end

What choices did you make to do this? I played through it again last week in anticipation of the new one and he was in plenty of it. I did have him and Fliss hook up so maybe that was it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Pirate Captain posted:

What choices did you make to do this? I played through it again last week in anticipation of the new one and he was in plenty of it. I did have him and Fliss hook up so maybe that was it.

It's been a while since I played but I'm pretty sure it just depends on if, near the beginning, you decide to escape from the pirates when they hijack the protagonists' boat. Then you have to succeed in stealthing away and then do a QTE to not get shot as the guy speeds away.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Morpheus posted:

It's been a while since I played but I'm pretty sure it just depends on if, near the beginning, you decide to escape from the pirates when they hijack the protagonists' boat. Then you have to succeed in stealthing away and then do a QTE to not get shot as the guy speeds away.

That’s hilarious. I have to play through that section again.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

el oso posted:

Morpheus posted:

Yup! This happened when my partner and I played, and we were like "....Wait, are we missing out on a bunch of content now? WERE WE 'TOO GOOD' AT THE GAME?!"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I had too much work so I could only play part of little hope. It seems only Angela (the mature student) was bringing in her A game while the rest were just phoning it in, although the professor had some ok moments. I'm sure the game wants me to get Angela killed but her response to everything is so good I'm making sure she survives

Meanwhile I adored Angela!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess me and my friend got lucky when Little Hope had a game-breaking bug like halfway through the game where we couldn't restore a saved game at all. We've nearly restarted the game from the beginning a couple of times, but every time we almost play it again I'm like "nah".

We might pick up The Quarry if it ever has a good sale.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So Scorn is apparently releasing within 24 hours and its on game pass. Morbidly curious. When it was first announced and showcased I wasn't sure it was something to look forward to, I was sorta fearing if it would be another Agony. It looks like they really went ham on the art. It looks proper Giger.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I am very stoked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5qYjxBDaU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mindblast posted:

So Scorn is apparently releasing within 24 hours and its on game pass. Morbidly curious. When it was first announced and showcased I wasn't sure it was something to look forward to, I was sorta fearing if it would be another Agony. It looks like they really went ham on the art. It looks proper Giger.

From what I've played of the Alpha and Prologue the art and atmosphere are perfect, you're walking through Giger's art with a splash of Beksinski; hopefully the gameplay and puzzles hold up.

I'm excited as hell for it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mindblast posted:

I hope there's an actual game under the aesthetic. I'm honestly still not sure what kind of game it's supposed to be. Shooter? Immersive sim? Puzzle? Survival? Who knows!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From what I’ve seen of scorn it looks to play a bit like a resident evil game. Which is good.

I think a lot of people assumed it would be like doom for some reason and then when that didn’t pan out to be true people started calling it a walking sim. But I as far as I can tell it’s like, limited ammo management etc.

I don’t know why some people seem down on it. It looks great. Maybe it’s the mental connection to Agony like the poster above said.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'll be curious to hear trip reports for Scorn. It looks awesome, but I didn't really have an expectation as far as the gameplay. If it's more survival horror, it'll really depend on how tough they go with ammo and stuff before I decide to give it a try myself.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I'd really, really like to play The Quarry with a big group of friends around the country but last I checked the only multiplayer option is local. If they ever patch in online capability I'll be all over it, because what I've seen looks delightful and I love seeing Ted Raimi in things.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I'd really, really like to play The Quarry with a big group of friends around the country but last I checked the only multiplayer option is local. If they ever patch in online capability I'll be all over it, because what I've seen looks delightful and I love seeing Ted Raimi in things.

It’s weird to say this but it’s actually one of his better performances. He’s this serious character surrounded by ridiculousness and even when he gets ridiculous he still plays it straight. Very different from his usual stuff. His delivery of the last line of the prologue is fantastic.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Apparently slowbeef released a horror game? Waiting for reviews from here

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

veni veni veni posted:

From what I’ve seen of scorn it looks to play a bit like a resident evil game. Which is good.

I think a lot of people assumed it would be like doom for some reason and then when that didn’t pan out to be true people started calling it a walking sim. But I as far as I can tell it’s like, limited ammo management etc.

I don’t know why some people seem down on it. It looks great. Maybe it’s the mental connection to Agony like the poster above said.

from what i've seen it's a little heavier and more hands-on with its puzzles than games I'd consider to be "walking sims" (which often have some light puzzling, so I understand this is a very subjective thing) -- I get the impression that it's a survival horror game that leans a little more heavily into the "adventure game" influences of the genre than the "action game" ones.

And I think a lot of people are hesitant to get too hyped about it because it was initially announced 10 years ago and had some significant delays and long periods of radio silence which historically hasn't indicated a great final product. But recent impressions seem really solid and I'm very much looking forward to checking it out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Scorn reviews are out -- averages in the 7/10 range with a pretty common consensus that the game knocks it out of the park visually but that combat is the weakest link. On Metacritic there are both some 1/5 and 5/5 review scores for it which you don't see too often!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I knew from the previews that Scorn wasn't going to be for everyone and quite possibly not for me, but reviews are even more mixed than I had expected. I have a very low tolerance for bad checkpointing, especially in games with no manual save feature, so my interest in playing the game has dropped significantly until/unless that gets addressed in a patch, hopefully before it leaves Game Pass a year or so from now.

also, one of the reviews said it doesn't even have full controller support on PC? in a game that's simultaneously releasing on consoles, in the year 2022? wtf?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tired Moritz posted:

Apparently slowbeef released a horror game? Waiting for reviews from here

I've only played a few minutes but so far it's pretty disappointing in some pretty basic ways, like no keybinding or even a choice of camera inversion which makes it a bit awkward to play, and they for some reason decided that sightjacking should show you a headache inducing bright pulsating eye. Otherwise the huge heads are just goofy and not scary which kills the otherwise decent( if indie horror game) atmosphere. Quit after the first death because of a massive headache.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
scorn gameplay never looked too promising

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Disappointing to hear but since when are horror game fans all about that amazing gameplay.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A horror game without caveats is probably pretty boring

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

also, one of the reviews said it doesn't even have full controller support on PC? in a game that's simultaneously releasing on consoles, in the year 2022? wtf?

I'm curious about that, if it's true it could kill my interest depending on exactly what's not supported.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hel posted:

I've only played a few minutes but so far it's pretty disappointing in some pretty basic ways, like no keybinding or even a choice of camera inversion which makes it a bit awkward to play, and they for some reason decided that sightjacking should show you a headache inducing bright pulsating eye. Otherwise the huge heads are just goofy and not scary which kills the otherwise decent( if indie horror game) atmosphere. Quit after the first death because of a massive headache.

If by sight jacking you mean its a spiritual sibling to Siren then being miserable to play is just respecting history.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Siren was miserable not painful

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CuddleCryptid posted:

If by sight jacking you mean its a spiritual sibling to Siren then being miserable to play is just respecting history.

Yeah, it's explicitly ripping of the Forbidden Siren sightjacking, though with a bit less Quality of Life and more actual brain damaging effects, though Slowbeef said they'd fix that last part after I tweeted at him, so hopefully not for long. Will go back and play more when that happens, because outside of the big floating heads they actually seem to get the basic mood pretty good. My impressions are from the first 10ish minutes, so don't stop that from playing it yourself,

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I played the first chunk of Scorn til the first cutscene and area change after the intro, and the aesthetic is great, but if the puzzles are all gonna be block moving style puzzles and cranes I'm not super excited for the rest of the game. Will keep playing cause it's on gamepass and they nailed the art direction.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mr E posted:

I played the first chunk of Scorn til the first cutscene and area change after the intro, and the aesthetic is great, but if the puzzles are all gonna be block moving style puzzles and cranes I'm not super excited for the rest of the game. Will keep playing cause it's on gamepass and they nailed the art direction.

I'm a few hours deep into it and it's more moving puzzles and cranes.

Plus the occasional janky combat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mr E posted:

I played the first chunk of Scorn til the first cutscene and area change after the intro, and the aesthetic is great, but if the puzzles are all gonna be block moving style puzzles and cranes I'm not super excited for the rest of the game.

Agreed. Slide picture puzzles are where the true horror's at

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
AAAAAAAAAAAH i hate rubics cube "slide crap around a semi grid" type puzzles.
also I think I died.
I had to get a new handstrap.

Scorn : Gristly Myst.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I beat Scorn. Ask me anything.

I'll even help if you get stuck. Might want to ask fast before it disappears from my short term memory.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Is it any good?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Is it any good?

So yes and no.

I'm breaking this down into two spoilers. The second spoiler will have slight story spoilers

The art direction is insanely on point. If you ever wanted to walk through a giger/bernoski painting this is for you. But the combat is a little tedious and jankey and puzzles are more annoying as the difficulty mainly comes from finding what you want to interact with.

Lol don't expect the story to explain poo poo. It's not even a good ending. You might be able to piece together some stuff but it's almost looser than trying to piece together dark souls lore from item descriptions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Everything I'm learning about it sounds like it's less and less for me. That's fine, I'll probably just check out a playthrough sometime and save myself some money.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I wouldn't be buying it anyways if I played it (thank you xbox game pass) so I feel morally justified in just watching a let's play

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Personally I’m really digging Scorn

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Ineffiable posted:

I'll even help if you get stuck. Might want to ask fast before it disappears from my short term memory.

How long is it? Must be really short?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

DropsySufferer posted:

How long is it? Must be really short?

My save file says 4 hours.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like if any game would have had an excuse to go with Myst-style puzzles it'd be Scorn so if it's all mainlyy block puzzles that's a bit disappointing. Granted, good Myst puzzles aren't exactly the easiest thing to come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
There is an art book for Scorn coming out in December, which I might pick up instead of the game. Mostly just interested in the art anyway and all the gameplay footage looks exactly like what I expected (I.e. a game that had 8 years in invested into it’s art direction and not much else).