Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

TheWeedNumber posted:

They gave the parkland shooter life.

Edit: they shoulda voted for death. Smdh soft rear end jurors.

Spending the rest of his long, long life in a jail cell is a much worse fate than having the state provide him with the easy way out after 15-20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

TheWeedNumber posted:

I’m reminded now of the silver lining in a life sentence: that you actually have to live moment to moment locked in a loving cage. Maybe that’s worse than death?!? Idk. I still prefer this rear end in a top hat dead tho.

Personal preference is something that has to be quelled when dealing with public policy. The inhumanity of life sentences is also something that needs to be addressed in our system, but really we need to address the causes that lead to people like the parkland shooter commiting mads murder and the factors that enable them to do it as children.

On a personal level, yeah, I wouldn't shed a tear if this guy was executed, but that doesn't mean it should be an option in our system. He's never going to see the light of day again and will live In absolutely horrific conditions that would be illegal in any other developed nation. At this point there aren't really any good options, which is why we need to address the upstream problems that lead us to here. This situation is almost uniquely American and is absolutely repellant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grip it and rip it posted:

Personal preference is something that has to be quelled when dealing with public policy. The inhumanity of life sentences is also something that needs to be addressed in our system, but really we need to address the causes that lead to people like the parkland shooter commiting mads murder and the factors that enable them to do it as children.

On a personal level, yeah, I wouldn't shed a tear if this guy was executed, but that doesn't mean it should be an option in our system. He's never going to see the light of day again and will live In absolutely horrific conditions that would be illegal in any other developed nation. At this point there aren't really any good options, which is why we need to address the upstream problems that lead us to here. This situation is almost uniquely American and is absolutely repellant.

Yeah I think life sentences will always be a thing, but reforming it where its less of a dystopian thing; "Here's a library, here's cable TV, here's food, you can't leave this place every again" rather than "We're going to basically torture you for the rest of your life."

Just remove them from society but let them keep their dignity and sanity.

On the other hand we totally need to reform sentencing guidelines anyways since life in prison can be given for absolutely stupid poo poo like 3 strikes laws and drug use. It should be exclusively for murder and other such things.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 13, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The worst person we know just made a really good point:

https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/1580404574606659584

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

The worst person we know just made a really good point:

https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/1580404574606659584

The Dragon of Budapest Speaks!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
ways to never be wrong:

- Jeb!
- Gorka supporter
- ???

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Spending the rest of his long, long life in a jail cell is a much worse fate than having the state provide him with the easy way out after 15-20 years.

I feel like the terror of knowing your life is gonna end, and there may or may not be nothing after this, to be a far more sublime punishment. Even if you die in a cell you get to die in a bed that is your own, for the time being anyway. Getting put down like a rabid dog imo has to eclipse that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

I mean, he's been for decades one of the most prolific purveyors of a toxic and broken mindset that pushed countless Americans down the path to fascism and violence. It's not easy to draw as direct a line as Purdue and opiate deaths, but that doesn't mean he's just some clown with a podcast.

People get way invested in stuff like “Trump isn’t the problem he’s just a symptom” but it’s still super important that figureheads experience consequences because that’s how shadowy stuff spreads and gains support.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

The Dragon of Budapest Speaks!

The Vapour of the Danube has recomposed himself after having evaded the Hungarian Rendorseg.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Lmfao. https://twitter.com/alexa_mro/status/1579144403548938240

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TheWeedNumber posted:

I feel like the terror of knowing your life is gonna end, and there may or may not be nothing after this, to be a far more sublime punishment. Even if you die in a cell you get to die in a bed that is your own, for the time being anyway. Getting put down like a rabid dog imo has to eclipse that.

Living in a box would be worse imo, but we all have different levels of attachment to personal freedom

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think it's as much a damning thing about California Politics than how cheap it is to buy off people in North Africa.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can be a little column A/column B I guess? There have been multiple full length investigatory pieces on how astonishingly hosed up the US is on stuff like building and zoning permits. Almost certain John Oliver has one specifically on that.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't think it's as much a damning thing about California Politics than how cheap it is to buy off people in North Africa.

I think it’s still damning because California politics suck if they can’t even build a loving railroad on time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TheWeedNumber posted:

we have existential dread of mortality at home

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Can be a little column A/column B I guess? There have been multiple full length investigatory pieces on how astonishingly hosed up the US is on stuff like building and zoning permits. Almost certain John Oliver has one specifically on that.

At the end of the day its gonna be either buying the people to either shutup and move out or buying enough politicans/police to shut them up and move out.

The problems in californias rail expansion looks alot like the same problems Atlanta is having trying to expand marta access to more useful places than the airport

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheWeedNumber posted:

I think it’s still damning because California politics suck if they can’t even build a loving railroad on time.

Worth noting while California politics suck, the effort was actively undermined by techbros like Elon Musk.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Worth noting while California politics suck, the effort was actively undermined by techbros like Elon Musk.

A further indictment of the state and its political environs.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
A sneak preview into the poo poo being crammed into state DoE's in the next year +. This is the procedure and policies doc generated mainly by DeSantis's curriculum program. The document preamble reads as a who's who of Christian fascists and segregationists in the acknowledgments alone. The idea is to blast school kids with such a white-washed version of not only US but Global history from kindergarten onwards.

https://go.boarddocs.com/co/cde/Board.nsf/files/CJVJZK4F58FB/$file/AmericanBirthright.pdf

Fun fact: they acknowledge two institutions for "using" the framework in a way that was harshly criticizing the standard. The entire document is a misrepresentation of fact and precedent on an insane level.

Also: It's promoted on the ground by these lovely people: https://hechingerreport.org/how-moms-for-liberty-wants-to-reshape-education-this-school-year-and-beyond/

e: fixed primary link, added another

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 13, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Grip it and rip it posted:

A further indictment of the state and its political environs.

It’s probably more that land couldn’t be imminent domanined as easily as Africa. Whole lot of farmers most likely complained and had powerful conservative backers willing to poke the Gavin government in the eye.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Bexar county sheriff in TX has certified that the migrants flown from TX to Martha’s Vinyard by DeSantis are victims of a crime, and thus they’re all eligible for visas to remain the USA.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

E: ^^^ Well that backfired didn't it.

I'm working with a few engineers who came from the HSR project, I should see what they think.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Select committee may create fireworks today:

https://twitter.com/haleytalbotnbc/...ward-conclusion

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, the stuff they got from the Secret Service is damning. They knew. Everyone knew

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/1580623843726458881?s=20&t=8DqzFNy7PRJQaTfbFbcBwg

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CommieGIR posted:

California's complete inability to build high-speed rail predates Musk's efforts by decades, though. I think the specific SNCF example was from the early 2000s. The state has really taken dysfunction to another level with bad faith actors being granted broad veto powers to block any change.

I'm now curious if pro-home/transit groups have ever turned the tables on the NIMBYs to lob the same disingenuous roadblocks in front of highway construction or a mansion-owner adding an expansion. (though there's a lot more credibility to environmental challenges to highway construction than rail)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, the stuff they got from the Secret Service is damning. They knew. Everyone knew

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/1580623843726458881?s=20&t=8DqzFNy7PRJQaTfbFbcBwg

Who are these from - to?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

That Works posted:

Who are these from - to?

I THINK (and hope) that these aren't comments made by the Secret Service, but quotes from thedonald.win users included in a SS email.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GoGoGadget posted:

I THINK (and hope) that these aren't comments made by the Secret Service, but quotes from thedonald.win users included in a SS email.

Yeah, it was quotes the Secret Service was passing around. They knew what they were going to likely step into.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1580596818248839168

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Does he use the same lawyers as Alex Jones? :lol:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

California's complete inability to build high-speed rail predates Musk's efforts by decades, though. I think the specific SNCF example was from the early 2000s. The state has really taken dysfunction to another level with bad faith actors being granted broad veto powers to block any change.

I'm now curious if pro-home/transit groups have ever turned the tables on the NIMBYs to lob the same disingenuous roadblocks in front of highway construction or a mansion-owner adding an expansion. (though there's a lot more credibility to environmental challenges to highway construction than rail)

I recently watched a video detailing how Paris renovated itself in the 19th century into the modern Paris and it really just involved displacing a ton of people (like upwards of 300,000) and imposing draconian building codes. (see here)

It was a literal "gently caress you" mentality by the designer. Slums just moved, neighborhoods cleared, and building prescriptions strictly enforced. (They couldn't get everything they wanted though. The French university campus had enough sway and clout to get them to piss off so there were still limits).

Now, doing this to the city for almost 20 years built up enough resentment and unrest that they eventually forced the chief architect to resign. And by all accounts he was a humorless jerk. You don't have to hand it to him but it does have to be said that his building codes, while removed from the books after his dismissal, continued to be followed since Parisians in the late-19th central had grown to like the style.

If you have access to Nebula, you can view it here: https://nebula.tv/videos/citybeautiful-how-boulevards-changed-paris-forever/

To bring this back to the US, there's something to be said on removing some the veto points in the current system of approving public works. I'm not advocating for demolishing poo poo in the middle of the night in order to clear an area for a project but the public good can't be forever bogged down to special or private interests.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 13, 2022

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Does he use the same lawyers as Alex Jones? :lol:

Donald normally relies on bad lawyers. I don't think he's been represented by a competent lawyer since at least the first impeachment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Supreme Court just told Trump to gently caress off and leave them alone over the classified documents.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Supreme Court just told Trump to gently caress off and leave them alone over the classified documents.

lol it was 9-0 with no dissents

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, new footage here, the governmental higher-ups essentially bunkering and trying to get ANYONE involved during the actual insurrection.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1580636676484833281

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1580637540960243713

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hrm. I think they took their shot and DC will not be loving around if a group forms up again to try this.

At least for the next couple voting cycles.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Holy poo poo J6 committee just passed a motion to subpoena Trump to come testify before them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Also, new footage here, the governmental higher-ups essentially bunkering and trying to get ANYONE involved during the actual insurrection.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1580636676484833281

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1580637540960243713

Jesus despite like weeks of run up where it seemed that something like this was going to at least be attempted they seem loving lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Hrm. I think they took their shot and DC will not be loving around if a group forms up again to try this.

At least for the next couple voting cycles.

Depends on if the next president decides to actively impede that process?