Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

a bunch of poeple on nextdoor got really mad at me because i said, on a post warning of a nearby speed trap, that people should just go the speed limit

I got banned from Nextdoor because some lady said that she found small holes in her front yard and was concerned that drug dealers were hiding drugs in them, and I responded that they were probably just from moles or the like and she probably watches too much television.

All the advertisers on that site are security system providers, it depends on paranoia to continue to exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
There's no way I'd last a week on nextdoor, I prefer not knowing exactly how lovely and racist my neighbors are anyway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

All the advertisers on that site are security system providers, it depends on paranoia to continue to exist
i still get ND emails and it has absolutely turned into a 24/7 paranoia crime blotter rss feed. infact, pretty much the only email round-ups i get from ND are all about crime alerts and poo poo, its insane. there used to be more mix of people asking for babysitters, does anyone want my cat, i'm giving away a couch, im hosting a garage sale next saturday, etc etc and now it's pure I WITNESSED CRIME / MY FRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT CRIME WATCH OUT spam. i'd be almost convinced it's more than 2/3rds astroturfed bots if i didn't know babby bombers were paranoid giant pieces of poo poo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/GernotWagner/status/1580607541838761986?s=20&t=Gem0H7wYHXU0xNwf0q3cjw

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Requiring a cop to help people cross the street safety is going to create jobs and increase the police state, it's a win win.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The ultimate US transportation infrastructure is that everyone has get everywhere by car, but the cars are also driven by cops and you are technically under arrest while you are in the car

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

america is a diseased land

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/22/1047341052/barcelona-bicibus-kids-parents-bike-ride-to-school

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Xaris posted:

i still get ND emails and it has absolutely turned into a 24/7 paranoia crime blotter rss feed. infact, pretty much the only email round-ups i get from ND are all about crime alerts and poo poo, its insane. there used to be more mix of people asking for babysitters, does anyone want my cat, i'm giving away a couch, im hosting a garage sale next saturday, etc etc and now it's pure I WITNESSED CRIME / MY FRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT CRIME WATCH OUT spam. i'd be almost convinced it's more than 2/3rds astroturfed bots if i didn't know babby bombers were paranoid giant pieces of poo poo

there's probably algorithms that promote that poo poo (I don't know exactly how Nextdoor works because I'm not on it) but it feels more organic if the posts are from real paranoid freaks, so no need for bots.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The ultimate US transportation infrastructure is that everyone has get everywhere by car, but the cars are also driven by cops and you are technically under arrest while you are in the car

Also the car is sometimes parked with you insode on train tracks

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
gently caress cars that pass on the right on single lane roads because they don’t wanna wait for the person in front to turn left. Like, you’re just making it take longer and more dangerous!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/_mattlowe/status/1577672282406760449?s=20&t=FzTOY7cmb9i6v4zk6jbDXw

Unsurprisingly, :acab:.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yes, all cars are bad.

As George Orwell once said, "two wheels good, four wheels bad".

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Oct 14, 2022

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

eXXon posted:

Yes, all cars are bad.

As George Orwell once said, "two wheels good, four wheels bad".

the buses were quite upset with this until the bicycles that had replaced the cars as rulers of the road after the revolution agreed that because a bus was at least twice the length of a car they are not a four wheeled vehicle, but rather two two wheeled vehicled that have been conjoined

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Anecdotally, it seems that red light cameras are disproportionately installed in poorer neighborhoods, and that's hosed up

yeah, mondo hosed up, if i wanna speed through a poor neighborhood on my way into the city and turn a child into a crimson mist i should be allowed to do that

the funny thing i've run into before with speed cameras and red light cameras is that lots of people want them on their own street but not any others. like, please don't do burnouts at 800 mph on my street... but also please don't do anything to stop me from doing that on streets where other people live

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

the buses were quite upset with this until the bicycles that had replaced the cars as rulers of the road after the revolution agreed that because a bus was at least twice the length of a car they are not a four wheeled vehicle, but rather two two wheeled vehicled that have been conjoined

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

yeah, mondo hosed up, if i wanna speed through a poor neighborhood on my way into the city and turn a child into a crimson mist i should be allowed to do that

the funny thing i've run into before with speed cameras and red light cameras is that lots of people want them on their own street but not any others. like, please don't do burnouts at 800 mph on my street... but also please don't do anything to stop me from doing that on streets where other people live
My argument is that traffic cameras should be more evenly distributed and that taxpayers should see all the money from them, not private companies, ever. Also the process by which citations are issued and fines levied should be transparent and subject to appeals because robots shouldn't be policing humans alone, not yet at least

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Oct 14, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Boywhiz88 posted:

gently caress cars that pass on the right on single lane roads because they don’t wanna wait for the person in front to turn left. Like, you’re just making it take longer and more dangerous!

That's why this exists

It's a two lane road with a post office on one side. So if there's people trying to make a left into the parking lot of the post office and holding up traffic, there's a weird little lane for people for people to go around them on the right

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My argument is that traffic cameras should be more evenly distributed and that taxpayers should see all the money from them, not private companies, ever. Also the process by which citations are issued and fines levied should be transparent and subject to appeals because robots shouldn't be policing humans alone, not yet at least

Once the cameras can recognise the "friends of the police benevolent association" stickers we can go back to fully automated

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's pretty sad, nowhere in the UK has trains as nice or as functional as these unless they stop in London. And even then not always. It's an Italian train station although the train we were on was operated by the Swiss railways. I much prefer the single decker ones, more spacious and loads more luggage space, and I don't think they actually lose that many seats.

One thing the UK does do ok at is level boarding - it's much more common, at least in the South, than in most of mainland europe.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Boywhiz88 posted:

literally two days ago: Shocking video shows Toronto driver slam their car into a terrified cyclist

quote:

In the Twitter thread, Watkins explains that "she (the driver) was trying to squeeze past the cars ahead who were waiting to turn left. She failed to look for a cyclist as she crept into my bike lane to pass the cars."

Watkins tells blogTO that despite the terrifying experience, she was unharmed in the collision, admitting that at the age of 63, she's very fortunate to have walked away without injuries,

unprotected bike lanes are more than useless - not blaming them but cyclists feel a false sense of protection and then poo poo like this happens :(

thankfully it ended w/o injury this time

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i hate cars and i hate driving

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

802.11weed posted:

hey, same!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

802.11weed posted:

This reminds me to recharge the lead battery in my car again. I need to pick up a bunch of lumber. Wait... how long does gasoline last? <Googles search> Are you loving kidding me? God drat it. I need to start buying fuel stabilizer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this contractor working on our building has a brand new ford raptor lol

i was standing right next to it talking to him, jfc i'm 6'1" and i could barely see over the front

quote:

It's a trophy truck for the masses and it makes very few compromises in pursuit of this mission.

The brakes are another story, however, requiring 149 feet to bring the Raptor to a stop from 60 mph.

Switching into the truck's Baja drive mode when you're off-roading means that you have full access to the forward-facing camera without speed restrictions, and that's pretty cool.

Is the F-150 Raptor a good value? This is a solidly built and well-appointed truck that provides some plush touches along with extreme off-road capability. The Raptor is pretty expensive for a full-size truck, and that's before you add any options. Our test truck was equipped with the optional (and pricey) 37-inch tire package. You get some extra ground clearance from it, but we think we'd stick with the 35-inch tires.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Oct 14, 2022

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

distortion park posted:

One thing the UK does do ok at is level boarding - it's much more common, at least in the South, than in most of mainland europe.

The station near me (up north) has such a big gap that they have to announce warnings for it before the train gets there. It's less a step and more of a jump.

I got on a train in Calais a few weeks ago, and it was the saddest platform I've ever been on, like it legitimately looked abandoned, and I'm pretty sure the walkway over the tracks was an asset from half life 2. The train that arrived was so dusty that it was impossible to see out of the windows, but it was easy to get on and it was bang on time, which none of the trains back in the UK were, once we finally managed to get home.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

two great tastes etc
https://weartv.com/news/local/sheriff-men-shoot-each-others-daughters-during-road-rage-incident-in-florida

the sequence of events is quite something though

quote:

Both men then stopped their vehicles and began arguing

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

this contractor working on our building has a brand new ford raptor lol

i was standing right next to it talking to him, jfc i'm 6'1" and i could barely see over the front

I hope you were both wearing respirators.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
a new train line just opened up near me and now I can get to some of my favourite bars without needing to go all the way into the city centre and then back out again via bus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

distortion park posted:

It's pretty sad, nowhere in the UK has trains as nice or as functional as these unless they stop in London. And even then not always. It's an Italian train station although the train we were on was operated by the Swiss railways. I much prefer the single decker ones, more spacious and loads more luggage space, and I don't think they actually lose that many seats.

That's a double decker? How? It looks pretty short. I've never been on a passenger train that isn't light rail so I can't wrap my mind around it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's a double decker? How? It looks pretty short. I've never been on a passenger train that isn't light rail so I can't wrap my mind around it

that's a single decker. I literally just got on a double decker regional train though

you can see the very un-disability friendly height difference (the newer high speed trains have steps which are better, but still not ideal)

It's hard to get the inside layout in one photo but you can sort of see how it works here. it's from the upper level looking down into the entrance area. the ends of each carriage are single level at the middle height - I think the center double level parts go down into space that the wheel axles require. this one has a fairly efficient layout since there are no loos or luggage areas

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if someone had shot my son my first priority would be to go to the hospital, however, i recognize that other people can have valid and equally important priorities

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
yeah it's pretty common to have double deckers for commuter rail here, i think all of the trains italy commissioned in the last 10-15 years for commuter rail purposes have been double deckers

that train above, the vivalto has been a powerhorse of regional rail i've been on a lot back when i was traveling a lot from uni to and fro. we have a bunch of variants of those all named around a music theme. so there's the vivalto (from vivaldi), pop, jazz, and rock trains.

recently rome has put in use these new trains, which thanks to european regulations have now by design mandatory disability-friendly access with retractable ramps and on-level entrances. they're also pretty sweet although i have no idea how hard our maintenance people are loving the brakes as the noise from one of these braking legit feels like it's on the edge of bursting my eardrums every time

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Oct 14, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/jakehutch28/status/1580914263212044288?s=46&t=krYTRN8MoJ_42avGgzI6AA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Let me tell you about my new boulder-centered urban planning initiative.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

That's why this exists

It's a two lane road with a post office on one side. So if there's people trying to make a left into the parking lot of the post office and holding up traffic, there's a weird little lane for people for people to go around them on the right

this would be better as a dedicated left turn lane with traffic going straight always forced to curve around it as a traffic calming measure. it would be even better than that if cars didn't exist

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

this is much closer to a cogent argument than ending your post with "but sure, cars bad, always, no matter what"

more than redistributing existing cameras, we'd be way better off adding more cameras basically everywhere. and yeah, get the private companies out of there, and take the money from cameras and put it into building out transit, bike lanes, and pedestrian infrastructure. you could even give a portion back to everyone as a kind of traffic dividend, so people who aren't endangering others get a nice little bonus and people who are endangering others still lose a ton of money.

im not sure where you're living where fines aren't transparent or subject to appeals, and while i'm going to go ahead and take you at your word i guess you're probably already aware that there are a ton of people who just dont like having traffic laws enforced on them at all who will say pretty much what you're saying because they know that saying "it should be okay for me to speed and run red lights with impunity" is gauche and arguments like the above sound much more palatable

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you hate red light cameras you're not a leftist

Edit: furthermore, police violence doesn't count if levelled against a driver

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Oct 14, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/StreetsblogNYC/status/1580770622182858752

Everyone make a surprised face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

Let me tell you about my new boulder-centered urban planning initiative.
It's a surprisingly affordable traffic calming measure. The price jumps up a bit if you want to buy nicer looking landscaping boulders, but it's still a lot cheaper than installing steel bollards. Just drop big rocks out the back of a truck.

A few of the apartments around here already have small boulders protecting the sidewalk.