Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

god I forgot how funny some old GFC-era memes were

https://twitter.com/macroguru9/status/1579439368246554624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
INTC down to 2014 low, I'm either a genius or a moron for buying all the way down

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

drk posted:

INTC down to 2014 low, I'm either a genius or a moron for buying all the way down
Sup friend I've been doing the same thing with $T

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

drk posted:

I have some Fintech stock you might be interested in

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The only stocks I own that have held up are midstream companies. Everything else is a sea of red. I need financial Moses to come set my money free.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If Intel were poised to be a growth stock I'd say, average down but in this case I don't think Intel's stock will ever recover

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's up with AMD? My dad of all people asked me if he should load up on AMD or if it's going to go down further

Which is like... you guys don't know my dad, but it's a definite Shoeshine Boy Moment for him to ask about a stock

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sokani posted:

The only stocks I own that have held up are midstream companies. Everything else is a sea of red. I need financial Moses to come set my money free.

https://twitter.com/marketplunger1/status/1579840760353996801?s=20&t=AwII1lZHTrSNtoObfcIm5A

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can intel use its fabs to make chips for cars cause holy hell mine are getting old.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Can intel use its fabs to make chips for cars cause holy hell mine are getting old.

I believe they are intending to offer an older process for use in Automotive, possibly "Intel 16" (renamed 22nm, probably). I think its one of the things they intend to build at the new Ohio site.

Pretty sure all of their third party offerings are a couple years out from commercial availability, and automotive designs aren't exactly famous for being quick to incorporate new technology

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

you mean replacement chips for old cars, don't you
nobody will make those lol

e. oh you are hoping for the supply chain of car chips to improve and unfuck the car market, I understand

which country will intel manufacture automotive chips in?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's up with AMD? My dad of all people asked me if he should load up on AMD or if it's going to go down further

Which is like... you guys don't know my dad, but it's a definite Shoeshine Boy Moment for him to ask about a stock

I'm assuming they've been tanking because GPUs were being used to mine bitcoin en masse, which totally distorted the market, and they may well be hitting some kind of fundamental value level at some point. They're down about ~70%, which has roughly correlated to the BTC price:

Yahoo finance 1 year AMD: https://shorturl.at/hlsG9
BTC 1 year: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BTC-USD?p=BTC-USD&.tsrc=fin-srch

So I would guess it's something to do with that.

I would say no, AMD has not bottomed out. Their essentially a producer of consumer electronics, or that is their core business, and without bitcoin miners to prop them up they are reliant on sales of consumer electronics, which you would assume would be mostly correlated to the economy, which the Fed is trying to blow up.

Maybe the Fed Chair thinks If the bernank got a nobel for it they can too?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty sure whoever is whispering in bidens ear (military industrial complex*?) is not going to let intel build factories outside of the conus ever lest they be captured by the Chinese, some serious American protectionism poo poo happening right now

*The term was coined by outgoing president/retired general Eisenhower warning of what a problem they would be in politics down the road now that the money tap train of WW2 had dried up

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Intel is supposedly pushing pretty hard for major new fabs in Europe as well. They also have a pretty sizable operation in Israel. New leading edge fabs in Asia seems much less likely (tho they do operate there as well).

Also just read an article in Bloomberg reporting that they are quite possibly getting ready for massive layoffs due to the downturn in the PC market. Probably necessary, but not a good look when you just got tens of billions in subsidies and refuse to cut your dividend (so far at least)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

drk posted:

massive layoffs due to the downturn in the PC market.

I didn't know it had recovered :confused:

There was a big, one-time spike in demand for laptops due to covid but absolutely no one was under the impression that this was a permanent change

Desktop sales have been on slow decline since the 2010s, maybe earlier

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Elephanthead posted:

Intel had claimed they want to do that, but I've always heard the Intel process is a hell of a lot more complicated to do design and layout for than TSMC. I don't know if that's still true. Maybe the Intel Oregoon has a better perspective.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I feel a hell of a lot better about AMD than I do Intel that's for sure.

But yea feels like weakening consumer sentiment or whatever it is that is dragging PC sales is kicking everyone down. The hard drive sector like WD and Seagate is also dying.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

You know I was like "we're probably close to bottom"

but this has "sell everything related to PCs immediately bail the gently caress out" written all over it

https://twitter.com/gurgavin/status/1579957730982637569

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drk posted:

I believe they are intending to offer an older process for use in Automotive, possibly "Intel 16" (renamed 22nm, probably). I think its one of the things they intend to build at the new Ohio site.

Pretty sure all of their third party offerings are a couple years out from commercial availability, and automotive designs aren't exactly famous for being quick to incorporate new technology

TSMC told everyone a few months ago to update anything they want to keep making to their 22nm node, which was the last stop before FinFET and implied that they will support it in perpetuity and declare it the foreverially mature CMOS process. Not surprising the rest of the industry will follow that bombshell.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

TSMC told everyone a few months ago to update anything they want to keep making to their 22nm node, which was the last stop before FinFET and implied that they will support it in perpetuity and declare it the foreverially mature CMOS process. Not surprising the rest of the industry will follow that bombshell.

Design costs have really exploded with more advanced nodes (chart from 2018, but trend probably holds):

tbh, the chart rekindled some interest in buying some Synopsys and/or Cadence stock (they make software tools for the semiconductor industry among other things), but I've lost enough money in semis this year and the valuations are still a little rich

drk fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 12, 2022

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
saw a bunch of synopsys dudes out whale watching in santa cruz, def a solid buy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I would normally lol at this, but yeah taking the team out to go whale watching is a solid "we're flush with cash" move if I ever saw one

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I almost had a summer internship with them way back when. You telling me I could have gone whale watching!?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m up 10% in the past month (betting against bitcoin) should I quit my job now, or wait till powell stops raising interest rates? My account is larger than 2 digits, if that gives you any idea.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Get a load of mister 2 digits over here

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I would normally lol at this, but yeah taking the team out to go whale watching is a solid "we're flush with cash" move if I ever saw one

You can whale watch from the shore, if you do that it's not exactly an expensive trip. Was this "we chartered a boat for our regular employees" flush with cash, or was it "a gaggle of IT nerds clustered nervously at a picnic bench near the beach parking lot looking through binoculars hoping to spot a whale 2 miles out"?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
somehow inverse gas futures have been printing but i'm scared to hold them longer incase putin drops a nuke or something

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Leperflesh posted:

You can whale watch from the shore, if you do that it's not exactly an expensive trip. Was this "we chartered a boat for our regular employees" flush with cash, or was it "a gaggle of IT nerds clustered nervously at a picnic bench near the beach parking lot looking through binoculars hoping to spot a whale 2 miles out"?

Sound like a quarterly team outting at a company that has updated their budget per person. Intel would give us ~$25/person per quarter. I had coworkers in Austin who would use it to rent a boat to go out on the lake and drink beer/eat BBQ.

My current hardware company I think will give us about $50 per person, not sure if it's quarterly, but it requires someone take the initiative and actually organize something people would attend so nothing ever happens.

All of the computer engineering and hardware companies I'm aware of pay lots of money to Synopsys and Cadence, though, so they seem like they'll be making money as long as we're still designing custom silicon.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

MetaJew posted:

All of the computer engineering and hardware companies I'm aware of pay lots of money to Synopsys and Cadence, though, so they seem like they'll be making money as long as we're still designing custom silicon.

I thought this about about Applied Materials, but they have tracked Intel's return almost to the bp this year:

Only a token position in $AMAT though, since I dont feel like understand what they are up to as well as Intel.

Will keep an eye on $SNPS, they are down ~14% in just the past 5 days. Below $200 (where prices were in 2020) seems like a better entry point, and this market probably wont bottom without significant good news about inflation and/or significant bad news about employment.

Probably the only thing I'm buying this week is the 5 year TIPS auction, which is currently at a real yield of 1.8% (total yield = inflation + 1.8%). Boring, but much better than the rest of my portfolio this year

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm assuming they've been tanking because GPUs were being used to mine bitcoin en masse, which totally distorted the market, and they may well be hitting some kind of fundamental value level at some point. They're down about ~70%, which has roughly correlated to the BTC price:

Yahoo finance 1 year AMD: https://shorturl.at/hlsG9
BTC 1 year: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BTC-USD?p=BTC-USD&.tsrc=fin-srch

So I would guess it's something to do with that.

I would say no, AMD has not bottomed out. Their essentially a producer of consumer electronics, or that is their core business, and without bitcoin miners to prop them up they are reliant on sales of consumer electronics, which you would assume would be mostly correlated to the economy, which the Fed is trying to blow up.

Maybe the Fed Chair thinks If the bernank got a nobel for it they can too?

I've never seen anything showing amd making the chips for asics. So why would Bitcoin miners prop them up?

Are you mixing them up with Nvidia or Ethereum mining or is there some articles I've missed?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
No, GPUs haven't been used for mining bitcoin in a long time. I think they just meant bitcoin in the "general crypto nonsense" way.

Thankfully GPU mining is more or less dead now, though the Bitcoin faithful continue burning the proof of work torch and a small country's worth of electricity. A non small part of me hopes that the fed continues hiking until crypto prices enter their final death spiral.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Speaking of dumb crypto poo poo, whatever happened to that version where you increased your mining odds by having more hard drive space allocated to it? I don't even remember its name.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Burstcoin aka Signum which went from being worth 0.1 cents to 0.000002 or whatever

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

That would be Chia. Down over 80% just from this time last year. Zoom out the chart for more lols.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/XCH-USD?p=XCH-USD

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

drk posted:

I thought this about about Applied Materials, but they have tracked Intel's return almost to the bp this year:

Only a token position in $AMAT though, since I dont feel like understand what they are up to as well as Intel.

Will keep an eye on $SNPS, they are down ~14% in just the past 5 days. Below $200 (where prices were in 2020) seems like a better entry point, and this market probably wont bottom without significant good news about inflation and/or significant bad news about employment.

Probably the only thing I'm buying this week is the 5 year TIPS auction, which is currently at a real yield of 1.8% (total yield = inflation + 1.8%). Boring, but much better than the rest of my portfolio this year

Granted my experience at Intel may not be typical, but I think I worked on two chips in 10 years that taped out. So my groups' definitely used our Synopsys and Cadence licenses way more than we ever utilized the fab. (To explain $AMAT tracking $INTC)

INTC sucks, and I wish we had sold off all of our RSUs when it was $60+

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
drat I had 4500 MMTLP last year at 90 cents

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It sure is fun getting notifications that half my funbux portfolio has hit a 52 week low.... every loving day :q:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

eagerly awaiting the mid day rug pull

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

New chart:

Of note, the old chart, generated back on ....3/2/2022, the average guess was for a low point of $390.70

New average is $298.10, almost $100 lower than before

edit: I guess we hit $366 on 6/16/2022

Looks like we briefly hit $348 which skips a whole lot of people and puts fireside nut in the lead

This is the first time we've had a change to the new chart since mid March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Silly old Wells fargo, up to their usual tricks. Apparently the loan officers have been manually editing home values in their system to avoid needing an appraisal. Sometimes lopping off as much as a cool million dollars from the true sales price

Many of the affected loans have been sold to Fannie and Freddie and thus brought the full weight of the federal government down upon themselves

They preemptively fired a few of the people who had a hand on the wheel at the time, but obviously that's not going to protect them. Many employees are saying that they were explicitly, specifically told to do this in order to qualify for appraisal waivers and make everyone's lives easier. Probably should not have sold those loans to entities under Federal conservatorship then, idiots!