Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Booted computer, did a Google meet call, it went to sleep after. Woke it up and then Firefox crashes shortly afterwards, and shortly after that I got a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen. Thinking these drivers might not be fully baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AutismVaccine posted:

Power has gotten out of bounds expensive

Assuming a residential rate of 50c/kwh at 450w of power draw it costs about 22 cents/hr to run the thing at a high workload. That is not all that much money. Yes, it's a lot more money than it was, but if you're gaming for four hours a day a dollar a day is not all that material compared to spending $1600 on the video card.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Also winter is coming up and it's gonna be cold so the extra wattage for us apartment dwellers is much appreciated

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Assuming a residential rate of 50c/kwh at 450w of power draw it costs about 22 cents/hr to run the thing at a high workload. That is not all that much money. Yes, it's a lot more money than it was, but if you're gaming for four hours a day a dollar a day is not all that material compared to spending $1600 on the video card.

Well yeah, if you spend 1600EUR on a video card, you probably won't be worrying about a buck a day for your hobby. But I'm guessing for a lot of people it'll simply feel wrong. Like purposefully leaving the tap open 24/7.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lord Stimperor posted:

Well yeah, if you spend 1600EUR on a video card, you probably won't be worrying about a buck a day for your hobby. But I'm guessing for a lot of people it'll simply feel wrong. Like purposefully leaving the tap open 24/7.

Yeah don't get me wrong I am trying pretty hard to minimize power consumption in my system (also a different kind of fun optimization puzzle that is more appealing to me than Frames Go Up), but the idea that this is actually delivering real financial value in any way is silly. Plus, if you are spending less on your video card, it will draw less power. A nice $400 3060Ti draws 200W max, for instance, so now your gaming hobby costs fifty cents a day for four hours a day, etc.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I also got the advertisement in the Experience app for the 4090 but it also says it's no guarantee of availability. I'm curious how many that use the app got the ad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Someone posted some software for testing video cards in here earlier but I can't find it. Can I get a link?

I've got a new-to-me card coming via eBay and I want to put it through its paces to make sure it is good to go.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Speaking of which:

namlosh posted:

If you don’t mind, post here about what you got when/if you do pull the trigger. I’m in the exact same boat :) and I’ll do the same

Took a couple weeks of trawling for deals, but I snagged a Dell OEM 2080 for $230 after shipping.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Someone posted some software for testing video cards in here earlier but I can't find it. Can I get a link?

I've got a new-to-me card coming via eBay and I want to put it through its paces to make sure it is good to go.

https://geeks3d.com/furmark/ here you go this is the classic

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i assume they mean this, for determining whether a used GPU has been mined to death

KillHour posted:

Memory benchmarking.

I used this one but there are a bunch:
https://github.com/kruzer/poclmembench

Run it a bunch of times and take a look through to make sure that you don't see any outliers. Sections of memory with lower performance are probably cooked.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which:

Took a couple weeks of trawling for deals, but I snagged a Dell OEM 2080 for $230 after shipping.

drat. Nice deal!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well, that's interesting - I rebooted my PC after driver update and the redeem/offer screen is now gone. I guess I was saved from potentially making a poor financial decision after all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Tried out the new driver. I got some uplift, but not quite what Nvidia advertised. Still, not gonna complain about free extra performance.

(did 3 runs each, didn't count the first run in the average. 3060ti, 1440p.)

So RT saw the biggest jump. Valhalla not quite reaching Nvidia's numbers (20+%) might be a CPU problem, not sure. CPU load wasn't that heavy, and turning down graphics settings increases av fps.

I also tested Wonderlands and BL3, but the changes where within margin of error. Nvidia said up to 8% increase (at 1080p, but you'd still expect some change at 1440p). :shrug: These are not CPU heavy games, so I'm not sure what's up.

So apparently the optimizations where actually mostly around CPU heavy situations, so those Borderlands numbers make sense (I was testing at max settings). At lower settings (which I actually play at) I do see a minor fps gain (~5%).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also holy moly the stutter is bad when you first run the benchmark.

And yes, BL3 is a UE4 game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lih posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-graphics-driver-quietly-adds-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-ga102-and-new-rtx-3060-series-support

seems there's a new 3070 Ti SKU using GA102 on the way too, in addition to the GDDR6X 3060 and 3060 Ti that have been rumoured
Really interested to see what $700 can buy me in December once the 4080 and RDNA3 have released.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

And yes, BL3 is a UE4 game.

unreal engine moment

https://twitter.com/bsthlc/status/1578881863082733568

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

latency becime more noticeble at lower frames. Even at higher frames they mention how it feels weird to have a smooth picture but the latency of playing likenyou were at 60fps

I spent a lot of money on a good display just to be able to have high resolution, high framerate and instant input response, it does seem like a backwards step to have high framerate, high input response time again. The days of vsync input delay are long behind and I don't fancy going back.
It's a fascinating tech and I have no doubt nvidia will eventually crack the code, but for now even with reflex running alongside it, it's a bridge too far imo.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Best Buy is now bundling Spider-Man Remastered with all 3000-series Nvidia GPUs, including the $400 3060 ti FE

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think I have discovered something interesting: I can't find any Asus 3070 Noctuas on sale used, and what sales I am finding, are new. Asus, may have found the leg up they need over the rest of the competition (including Nvidia) in justifying their value as a partner.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Arrath posted:

drat. Nice deal!

Yeah, I figured at that price even if there's some crazy black friday deal with people trying to clear out their 3000-series stock I can turn it around and either break even or come out ~$CASE_OF_BEER behind.

From what I can tell squinting at online comparisons it's about equivalent to the 3060ti as far as performance goes. DOn't know about power but I've got enough overhead in my system to run the 2080 as it stands.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Josh Lyman posted:

Really interested to see what $700 can buy me in December once the 4080 and RDNA3 have released.

Realistically probably still gonna be a 3080 for $700-$500 I don't know if anyone would even want a 3090 at $700 if it came to that lol.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GPU-side decompression is landing soon

no new hardware required, it's designed to run on the shaders

https://twitter.com/DirectX12/status/1580658975225221120

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Honestly surprised at this point that Nvidia doesn't launch either their own platform by now. People would call it a console but basically an SFF PC running a system they built, something sitting between a Mac and the original Xbox. They could set performance targets and segment hardware into normal and uber-rich person tiers, and have more clarity about what you get from each system.

Just get Microsoft out of the picture already.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Honestly surprised at this point that Nvidia doesn't launch either their own platform by now. People would call it a console but basically an SFF PC running a system they built, something sitting between a Mac and the original Xbox. They could set performance targets and segment hardware into normal and uber-rich person tiers, and have more clarity about what you get from each system.

Just get Microsoft out of the picture already.

lol if you think this is a better idea.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Kinda wish I got a geforce experience buy offer, harrumph

*first world problem noises*

e: Anyone want to give me their invite ^_^

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 13, 2022

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Making people feel they are privileged/lucky to have a time-limited opportunity to spend £1,700 on a GPU is top sales work.

(Where is my invite)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Craptacular! posted:

Honestly surprised at this point that Nvidia doesn't launch either their own platform by now.

Please no. I don't want to know what kind of end-user expierence / support they come up with.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I uninstalled GF Experience* last week during a driver snafu that was keeping 2D games like Shredder’s Revenge from running, and I did a clean install of Windows on a new SSD this week, so I don’t think I’ll be angling for the exclusive invite to drop fat stacks. I’m not ready to buy until next month anyway, so here’s hoping it’s completely superfluous by then.

Also, I went ahead and turned on Resizable BAR and SR-IOV in my motherboard’s settings, even though I don’t think they will do anything for my existing 1070. And I’m not going to get anything GPU-wise out of SR-IOV with a consumer grade card anyway, right? Does this open up any known security holes?

*interesting that this works both for Nvidia’s bloatware and a service typically offered by sex workers. Why do I have this feeling that the sex workers have the edge here?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkUAGMYg5Lw

huh, this makes the frame generation stuff look a lot worse than it did in digital foundry's video

way more artifacting and distortion overall and moving ui elements in particular seem to not work at all here where they only very occasionally had issues in DF's breakdown

I mean, both videos were basically just spent the entire time highlighting the issues. Alex is clearly more positive about it than Tim, but in either case you're getting a supercut of the issues and I don't think you can use either to really judge the frequency of these issues.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Was everyone thinking that DLSS 3 would be released in a good place? It's basically customary at this point for new DLSS versions to suck at release and then get good later. I always figured DLSS 3 would be doable in like 3-6 months.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they never figured out a way to make DLSS1 viable, they scrapped the entire concept and went with a fundamentally different approach with DLSS2, which worked well by virtue of taking a proven concept (TAA) and just doing it better

DLSS3 is totally uncharted territory, much like DLSS1s basis of "AI dreaming fake detail" was, so it's really hard to say if they'll be able to fix the issues or it will turn out to be a dead-end like DLSS1 was

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 13, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ah ok mb I thought they managed to get DLSS1 to an ok place but maybe I'm just thinking about DLSS 2.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol I'm mulling getting a prebuilt 7900X + 4090 from a local shop for $3500. My existing PC uses a 3960X TR so a simple GPU switch would bottleneck pretty badly

I'm getting to an age where DIYing is getting less appealing

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

shrike82 posted:

Lol I'm mulling getting a prebuilt 7900X + 4090 from a local shop for $3500. My existing PC uses a 3960X TR so a simple GPU switch would bottleneck pretty badly

I'm getting to an age where DIYing is getting less appealing

I find I need to use reading glasses and flashlights more than when I was younger, but a lot of the designs have improved and I'm better at pre-planning, so I still find it fine. Building is honestly not my favorite part of it, but I do get a sense of satisfaction when I have it completely done and am happy with the results.

My least favorite part is always mounting the CPU, adding paste, and securing the cooler. Coming in second would be cable routing. But the rest of it has been easier with the newer cases I've used.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I mean, both videos were basically just spent the entire time highlighting the issues. Alex is clearly more positive about it than Tim, but in either case you're getting a supercut of the issues and I don't think you can use either to really judge the frequency of these issues.

not saying one is more reliable than the other but this video absolutely shows problems cropping up a lot more consistently and noticeably in regular gameplay

i'm still pretty positive on the tech overall but it'll be interesting to see how it actually performs in the real world

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It doesn't seem clear to me what exactly they can improve about DLSS3. I think some of the artifacting/shimmering that appears around movement can maybe be reduced with improvements to the algorithm, and they could surely do something about camera cuts. I don't think rendering the UI after DLSS3 is in the cards though, and that's one of the bigger, more obvious issues. The "rapid disocclusion" issue brought up in the DF video also probably can't be fixed. There's an issue pointed out in the Hardware Unboxed video (around 8 minutes in) where Frame Generation almost seems to emphasize the ghosting artifacts ordinarily generated by DLSS--look at the difference between the overhead street lamps on the left and right in that part. The only way to fix that is to fix regular DLSS, but you'll never fix all of it there. And this may be the same issue actually, but DF also pointed out how reducing the in-engine framerate by turning on FG reduces the quality of the DLSS upscale, which isn't something that can ever be fixed. I also have a feeling they're not going to be able to do much to improve the input lag situation.

So with all that said, I think there are some things they'll be able to improve over time, but there are some things that just seem inherent to the technology that are going to be bigger dealbreakers for many people than DLSS2's inherent faults.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which:

Absolutely great deal! Thx for reporting back and enjoy the card!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Is the Founders card really so worth it? I have the $1599 MSRP MSI gaming trio on the way… it is supposedly not arriving at best buy until the 20th though. Should I be looking out for a founders?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Doesn't the FE still vent upward? So it's putting hot air right in front of the CPU cooler in most cases? That alone makes me feel dubious about the design, although I know by all reports it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So with all that said, I think there are some things they'll be able to improve over time, but there are some things that just seem inherent to the technology that are going to be bigger dealbreakers for many people than DLSS2's inherent faults.

yeah that's the thing, DLSS2 is such a slam dunk because it's just a more refined version of what most games are doing anyway with TAA

temporal supersampling has its inherent limitations but we were already living with those limitations for years before DLSS2 arrived, so it was no worse in that regard

on the other hand there's no precedent for frame interpolation in games besides VR, where it's framed as a last resort rather than free performance