Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

If I'm really going to be honest about my top ten then I have to include three Carpenters, which does limit the other choices somewhat. But hey, Carpenter is the GOAT so it makes sense.

Halloween
The Thing
The Fog
From Beyond
Return of the Living Dead
Bram Stoker's(Coppola's) Dracula
The Shining
Alien
Bride of Frankenstein
The Exorcist

Painful omissions: Jaws, Jason Lives, Child's Play 2, Tremors, Trick r Treat, Creepshow, Suspiria.

And really if you ask me this on ten different days you might get ten slightly different answers.

Are you me? Am I you? We only diverge on a few of these and mainly because they're ones I haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like the "heavy on the metaphorical" comment was really just an interviewer getting flustered and not really knowing how to explain it. I'm pretty sure most people understand that metaphor has always been and always will be a key element of what horror is as a genre. Nobody thinks A24 invented metaphor in horror.

Definitely not. But I do think there’s (a) the basic human thing we do where we didn’t pick up the depth of stuff we grew up with so now we just have a bunch of nostalgia for back when things weren’t so complicated and heavy… or we just didn’t notice. And (b) some of the usual horror tribalism and jockeying for position where a bunch of people get all worked up on what’s their favorite kind of horror and why it’s not as popular as the other stuff they don’t like.

So I think “elevated horror” has become something for non horror fans to rationalize the horror films they like but also for horror fans to then reject those “fad” films and non fans muddying everything up.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Definitely not. But I do think there’s (a) the basic human thing we do where we didn’t pick up the depth of stuff we grew up with so now we just have a bunch of nostalgia for back when things weren’t so complicated and heavy… or we just didn’t notice. And (b) some of the usual horror tribalism and jockeying for position where a bunch of people get all worked up on what’s their favorite kind of horror and why it’s not as popular as the other stuff they don’t like.

So I think “elevated horror” has become something for non horror fans to rationalize the horror films they like but also for horror fans to then reject those “fad” films and non fans muddying everything up.

I'll NOT have anything so gauche in my horror such as hockey masks and chainsaw wielding! :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The only elevated horror that should exist is the film Hellavator. I don't even know if thats a real thing but it should be.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The only elevated horror that should exist is the film Hellavator. I don't even know if thats a real thing but it should be.

2005 Japanese movie, used to have it on DVD lol

Hellevator: The Bottled Fools to be exact

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MacheteZombie posted:

2005 Japanese movie, used to have it on DVD lol

Hellevator: The Bottled Fools to be exact

I knew when I typed it out that it probably really did exist.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Off the top of my head and In no particular order (except for thing being on top)

The Thing ‘82
Suspiria (you decide. Love ‘em both)
The Blair witch project
Halloween
Alien
Midsommar
Jacob’s Ladder
Masque of the Red death
Hausu
Dawn of the dead 78

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I like seeing so many people dug Blair Witch that much. For some reason I thought it got slagged a lot.

It scared the absolute poo poo out of me, and it still makes me do 'what if' when I'm camping and hear a rustling outside the tent.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I think Blair Witch gets a bit of the Seinfeld Syndrome, it invented so many of the cliches, people watching it now after seeing all those modern found footage movies just see it as bland.

Which is a loving shame, because Blair Witch is still incredible.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Seeing the The Blair Witch Project as a kid in 1998 is also such a unique experience, a mixed media success that can probably never be captured again at the same scale, arriving at the exact right time in the internet's development. There's just never going to be a horror movie again that actually pulls off the magic trick of at least feeling like it's real if not actually convincing the audience it's real. The fact that it also had such restraint for stuff like the time travel aspect also really helped it be this living film you could build theories off of and discuss.

I totally get people who didn't have that experience not ranking it as highly. Like I said, I think its ranking is more as a multimedia art piece than a singular film.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Hollismason posted:

There was a movie but Hellevator was also the name of a short-lived horror-themed game show hosted by the Soska sisters

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You know, in hindsight maybe I shoulda went with The Shining instead of Sleepaway Camp for my top ten but, you know, gently caress it. It's "your favorite", not "the best", and I find myself thinking about Sleepaway Camp way more often than The Shining.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Seeing the Blair Witch in a crowded theater on opening weekend with half the audience believing it was real is still the greatest theater going experience of my life. I went with my cousin who 100% thought it was real. Then at the end of the movie when he is turned back against the wall and the credits roll someone jumped up from the front row in a ghost mask and ran screaming through the theater. People lost their loving minds. Like screaming yelling, people fleeing, my cousin flipped out. It was amazing.

Just hands down GOAT of theater experiences.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

Are you me? Am I you? We only diverge on a few of these and mainly because they're ones I haven't seen.

The Millhouse gif is probably appropriate because I think part of it is that we just have kinda standard, "boring" taste.

Is From Beyond one you haven't seen? If so just admit it so we can make sure that gets fixed.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Seeing the Blair Witch in a crowded theater on opening weekend with half the audience believing it was real is still the greatest theater going experience of my life. I went with my cousin who 100% thought it was real. Then at the end of the movie when he is turned back against the wall and the credits roll someone jumped up from the front row in a ghost mask and ran screaming through the theater. People lost their loving minds. Like screaming yelling, people fleeing, my cousin flipped out. It was amazing.

Just hands down GOAT of theater experiences.

Even going to look online wasn't like it would be now. I remember going to the website after everyone had gone to bed and there'd be the backhistory clips that you had to wait for it to download and were just at that right quality to open the possibility this could be real.

In a way it makes me sad that you really can't experience that degree of 'is it/isn't it' anymore.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Even going to look online wasn't like it would be now. I remember going to the website after everyone had gone to bed and there'd be the backhistory clips that you had to wait for it to download and were just at that right quality to open the possibility this could be real.

In a way it makes me sad that you really can't experience that degree of 'is it/isn't it' anymore.

Yeah and then you had news channel perpetuating that it was a real film and you had the scifi do that documentary about it that was a real film. People legit thought it was real.

I mean Blair Witch was really a case of lighting in a bottle.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aw man, Blood Quantum/Rhymes for Young Girls director Jeff Barnaby died of cancer at 46. So heartbroken right now. RIP

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Chucky once again continues to be a home run tv series

Edit: stupid auto correct, my apologies Chucky you are not Chunky

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Medullah posted:

A high school friend is doing a Horror movie marathon in October and this is his thoughts on Poltergeist.

He also hated Werewolf By Night and Arachnophobia and LOVED They/Them.

You probably already know this but your friend is an idiot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I am absolutely no Horror film buff, but I am surprised by pretty much all the lists being very famous films I've seen or know about.

I expected there to be lots of Japanese, Korean, Italian, or Spanish things I've never heard of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The classics are classic for a reason

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Famous horror movies are famous for a reason. No use being contrarian and hipster, we're all down in the same trenches here.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair though, this is probably one of the few corners of the internet that will as consistently go up to bat for Child's Play 2 being one of the greatest slashers of all time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Did anyone ever read the Koji Suzuki Ring trilogy, the three books that the original j-horror movies were based on? I found them very entertaining and completely insane, especially the last one. They are called Ring, Spiral and Loop. There's also a decent graphic novel that became a third movie called Ring 0: Birthday that's basically a manga about Sadako Yamamura's life before being murdered and thrown in a well to die.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Demons 2 is also elevated horror because it takes place in a high rise

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If calling something elevated horror gets idiots into the best genre I’ll take it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still think Blair Witch is a drat scary film as long as you don’t have a thing against found footage. It’s one of my go to films to pull out the with mixed crowds of non horror fans who want a good scary horror night and it never fails.

Yeah there’s no duplicating that unique moment in time when “arg” wasn’t a word and the internet and technology was just advanced enough to spread disinformation and confusion fast and effectively… wait… maybe it’s not that different. But yeah. That was a weird one because I can specifically remember the moment I was 100% sure it was a movie was seeing Heather Donahue on some morning talk show. It was a time.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Top 10, no particular order:

The Fly (1986)
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Tetsuo: the Iron Man
Lo
Bubba Ho-tep
Hellraiser (1987)
The Evil Dead (1981)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Lake Mungo
Poltergeist (1982)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elevated horror: Should've taken the stairs

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

My personal Top 10, no particular order:

Jaws
Alien
Aliens
Predator
The Thing (1982)
Evil Dead 2
Child's Play 2
Freddy vs. Jason
Re-Animator
Day of the Dead

Honorable mentions: Candyman (1992), Terminator 1, Doctor Sleep, Halloween 2018, Prince of Darkness, Gojira, Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Good call, gonna add House to mine

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Personal top 10:

The lighthouse
The wicker man
Dawn if the dead 78
Day of the dead
Might of the living dead
Return of the living dead
The shining
The thing
Suspiria
Halloween 3

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

If calling something elevated horror gets idiots into the best genre I’ll take it

:hmmyes:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The Thing
Scream
Jaws
Halloween
Return of the Living Dead
Alien
Fright Night (OG)
Hellraiser (OG)
The Shining
Candyman (OG)

Honorable mentions: Nightmare on Elm St, Child’s Play 2, Bride of Frankenstein, The Blob ‘88

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no order

Rejects
AUM
Abominable Dr. Phibes
New York Ripper
Saw II
Ho1k
AGP: The Song of Solomon
Les Yeux Sans Visages
Eaten Alive
Re-Animator

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1580608210402103296?s=46&t=HM0aOuzIVehdJgd41q0XtA

I fuckin love horror films

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
all horror is good horror. even especially leprechaun 4

but not the munsters

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is there a poll where we can input our ten favorite horrors so we can analyze results?

I’m curious to know the ones that are listed the most (although I can sort of get the picture on a couple of films from reading posts here)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Halloween Ends available to stream on Peacock in a little over an hour (8PM Eastern) apparently

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1580654904955531264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Halloween Ends available to stream on Peacock in a little over an hour (8PM Eastern) apparently

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1580654904955531264

Nice