Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been using itunes for my ancient ipods for a long, long time. now that I've switched from those to using my phone for media playing at work(due to the ipods all stopped working), I need a new media player for my samsung galaxy S22 ultra, one that I can import my itunes library + playlists to and sync up with my phone from my PC, if that's possible. Do any of the ones in the OP do that, or is there one that does? I'd rather not have to rebuild all my playlists from scratch if I can help it.

MediaMonkey should be able to do that, if I remember correctly. Can't remember if that feature is premium or not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, I wasted a hundred bucks trying to get my old ipods repaired/replaced, I don't mind buying some premium version of an app if it does everything I need. Thanks!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a calendar app that uses the Google calendar but offers smaller widgets than the official one? I like having upcoming events on the Homescreen but the default widget takes up a lot of space even at its smallest size.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a calendar app that uses the Google calendar but offers smaller widgets than the official one? I like having upcoming events on the Homescreen but the default widget takes up a lot of space even at its smallest size.

I like Simple Calendar Widget, but I don't know if the resizability of the widget is built into the app versus doing it through Nova.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.calendarWidget

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I got back in to podcasts now that I have Pixel Buds with my Pixel 7. I am using BeyondPod and the audio keeps dipping out for half a second, randomly l, like it was pausing for a notification sound or something.

I can't figure out what search phrase to use to get help. Alternatively, what podcast app should I be using that doesn't cut out constantly like this?

EDIT: I think BeyondPod is dead now? I found AntennaPod and it does not have this problem at all. Seems to work just fine with Android 13 on a Pixel 7. Problem solved!

effika fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 22, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a long audiobook that is unfortunately just one audio file. What app do you guys use that can track progress on books?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Medullah posted:

I have a long audiobook that is unfortunately just one audio file. What app do you guys use that can track progress on books?

try your favorite podcast app

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

effika posted:

I got back in to podcasts now that I have Pixel Buds with my Pixel 7. I am using BeyondPod and the audio keeps dipping out for half a second, randomly l, like it was pausing for a notification sound or something.

I can't figure out what search phrase to use to get help. Alternatively, what podcast app should I be using that doesn't cut out constantly like this?

EDIT: I think BeyondPod is dead now? I found AntennaPod and it does not have this problem at all. Seems to work just fine with Android 13 on a Pixel 7. Problem solved!

I get the same problem using Podcast Addict on a Pixel 3aXL and the recommended solution (to remove it from the phone's battery optimization) has never worked. I'm probably gonna get a new phone soon anyway so I probably won't bother setting something new up til then. I'll keep AntennaPod in mind.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Medullah posted:

Listen Audio has been good to me in the past, though I haven't used it in ages.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

docbeard posted:

I get the same problem using Podcast Addict on a Pixel 3aXL and the recommended solution (to remove it from the phone's battery optimization) has never worked. I'm probably gonna get a new phone soon anyway so I probably won't bother setting something new up til then. I'll keep AntennaPod in mind.

I have podcast addict without adjusting the phone battery optimization or whatever, on a samsung s9+, and it works flawlessly.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I've only used pocketcasts.

besides dialogue boost and the thing that cuts out dead air, what goes into choosing a podcast app? I feel like if I wasn't set in my ways I would have started using Spotify because I'm already paying for the music

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Medullah posted:

Currently using Listen Audiobook Player, and have for the better part of a decade.

My biggest annoyance with it is a new one; It doesn't seem to have the Assistant hooks that almost everything else I listen to on my phone does, so I can't just tap my pixel buds and say "Go back five minutes," to jump back without pulling out the phone.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

forest spirit posted:

besides dialogue boost and the thing that cuts out dead air, what goes into choosing a podcast app? I feel like if I wasn't set in my ways I would have started using Spotify because I'm already paying for the music

Yeah I WFH these days so I'm not listening to podcasts as much but:

• The things you mentioned - cutting out dead air mostly for me
  • File handling - ability to customize how many episodes to keep downloaded, when to delete old episodes, whether you can choose to have it download older episodes first (when you discover an older podcast) or newer ones, etc
  • How it plays with the android UI/OS when it comes to pausing - does it stay around so you can unpause, does the OS dismiss it, etc
  • Control over when it downloads new episodes - on WiFi only? LTE?
  • How it presents your podcasts - time from opening the app to starting a podcast
  • How easy it is to search within the app for new podcasts

That's I think the just of it for me. Podcast addict ticks all these boxes for me but I probably spend maybe 30 min a day on average listening to them compared to commuting when it would be several hours a day sometimes.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Medullah posted:

I've used both Listen Audiobook Player and Smart Audiobook Player and they both will handle this just fine. I switched from one to the other at one point but they're so similar to each other I can't remember which one I used more recently or why, now.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I listen to podcasts at 1.5x speed and having my music player doing that would really alter the music experience.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Inceltown posted:

I listen to podcasts at 1.5x speed and having my music player doing that would really alter the music experience.

One thing I like about PocketCasts is that I can set the playback speed of specific podcasts to override whatever I currently have it set as. I keep my player at 1.2x, but I have a couple that are telling stories (eg Welcome to Night Vale) and one music one that I want at 1x. I just add them to my queue, don't think about it, they play at 1x, and everything goes back to 1.2x afterwards.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

I use DigiCal. The widget is completely resizable, and you can even make it transparent if you want to.

forest spirit posted:

The big thing for me is the ability to make playlists. I regularly get behind on my podcasts, so I like to make a playlist of my backlog with all the different episodes alternating (Podcast 1, Podcast 2, Podcast 3, Podcast 1 episode 2, etc) and Spotify never did that in a way that worked for me. PocketCasts just does everything I want in a way that I want without me fighting it. And I like the "shut off after X minutes" feature too, when I listen before bed.

On an unrelated note, is there an app/workaround to block Youtube ads? I currently pay for a Youtube subscription, but with them raising the price 5$/month it's getting harder to justify. I thought a Pi-Hole would work, but apparently not, and all the other stuff I'm seeing online leads to shady Russian websites. I mean if I have to pay I have to pay because gently caress sitting through multiple ads per video, but I figured if anyone had something legit then you guys would.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 23, 2022

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Soysaucebeast posted:

I use DigiCal. The widget is completely resizable, and you can even make it transparent if you want to.

In the reviews there's talk about some of the features being subscription based, can you talk about what those are?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

In the reviews there's talk about some of the features being subscription based, can you talk about what those are?

I don't subscribe and I've had no issues. Doing a real quick scan of the options, it looks like changing the font style/sizes, setting up multiple different calendar profiles (the default one can pull from multiple sources just fine), and customizing the colors away from their presets are what you'd be paying for.

Per google, this is the full list of what you get:
  • No advertising
  • Year view with heat map for spotting free/busy periods
  • Text Month widget and Month widget (also available in lock screen widget)
  • Configure background colors and transparency for the widgets using the color picker or by inserting hex code
  • Customize text size and text colors in the widgets
  • Select which calendars to display in your widgets
  • 7 extra widget themes
  • Choose from 4 different widget font styles (thin, light, normal and condensed)
  • Choose from 42 additional primary colors in DigiCal to pair with your light or dark calendar theme.
  • Hide week numbers in the app's Month and Text Month views
  • Change the font size in Text Month view.
  • Default snooze options (instead of the standard 10 minutes).

This is how mine looks on a free account. The cyan and magenta are one of my calendars, and the green is a different one. You can have it import over the colors from Google Calendar, or set your own.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thank you for the detailed response.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Soysaucebeast posted:

On an unrelated note, is there an app/workaround to block Youtube ads? I currently pay for a Youtube subscription, but with them raising the price 5$/month it's getting harder to justify. I thought a Pi-Hole would work, but apparently not, and all the other stuff I'm seeing online leads to shady Russian websites. I mean if I have to pay I have to pay because gently caress sitting through multiple ads per video, but I figured if anyone had something legit then you guys would.

Newpipe. It doesn't do logged in stuff though so you'll need to redo subscriptions and things.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
You can export your subs from YouTube thrn import them in newpipe or libretube maybe

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, it's a slightly convoluted process but you can do that.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have a recommendation for an app I can use to take time lapse photos? Ideally something where I can setup a schedule so I can just set the phone up and have it take a pic every minute from 7AM-7PM for a few days. I had used Lapse It in the past but that hasn't been updated in quite sometime.

edit: just saw there's one built into the camera app but that seems to make a video and I'd like a bit more control over how often pictures are taken.

Horn fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 23, 2022

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there a way to sync the downloads folder on a Pixel to Google Drive? I see a way to upload everything in the directory but not a way to have it be synced. Looks like you can sync through Google Photos but I'm guessing that's limited to photos/video.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

gariig posted:

Is there a way to sync the downloads folder on a Pixel to Google Drive? I see a way to upload everything in the directory but not a way to have it be synced. Looks like you can sync through Google Photos but I'm guessing that's limited to photos/video.

There's an app called DriveSync that should do this. I think the ad supported free version will do what you want, but you can pay a couple bucks to remove the ads, or a few more for some other pro features (one time fee for all upgrade options).

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I've got .epubs I like to read.

I drive sometimes.

These goals are generally incompatible.

Is there a good app that does a decent job of reading epubs out? I've tried Moon+ Reader for it, and while the audio's pretty good, it's often a bit of a hassle to control its playback.

Barring that, is there a decent online service or windows software for converting an Epub to an MP3 or other audio file to throw to an Audiobook player?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

maltesh posted:

I've got .epubs I like to read.

I drive sometimes.

These goals are generally incompatible.

Is there a good app that does a decent job of reading epubs out? I've tried Moon+ Reader for it, and while the audio's pretty good, it's often a bit of a hassle to control its playback.

Barring that, is there a decent online service or windows software for converting an Epub to an MP3 or other audio file to throw to an Audiobook player?

This video describes how you can use amazon polly to turn an epub into a audio book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNPaK_E2nQc

I've listened to a bunch of audiobooks this guy has made and it's a pretty good and natural sounding experience.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

This video describes how you can use amazon polly to turn an epub into a audio book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNPaK_E2nQc

I've listened to a bunch of audiobooks this guy has made and it's a pretty good and natural sounding experience.

I'll have to give that a shot, thanks. Turns out I've listened to a few audibooks converted by that method before, and I've enjoyed the experience.

Edit: Yes, this worked fantastically..

Edit ^2: Probably a bit more expensive than I was expecting, though. It looks like the default settings for the script are using the Neural voice, and at 1 million characters free, $16 per million afterwards, each month. Got a little enthusiastic, and refined the script a bit, and ran about about a dozen epubs through; suspect I'm looking at about a $50 charge for it at the end of this month.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 27, 2022

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have an Instagram account but I only use the messenger part and I would really like to delete my Instagram app from my phone. Is there a way that I can make it so I don't have to use the main Instagram app on my phone to send messages?

Seems like I can convert my account to a business one and use the Meta Business Suite app but that would mean I would have to make my account public instead of private.

There used be an official Instagram app called "Threads" that was just for messaging but they deleted it a while ago.

Any other suggestions?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
You could use your phone's browser to access Instagram, it does have messaging available.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Sorry I wasn't clear in my original message. I want to get rid of Instagram because of the mindless scrolling whenever I open it. I've muted and hidden everyone but it still finds a way to get me back in. So it would be nice to just have an app where I can be notified of any new messages / send messages.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there an app that'll let me use my phone as an infotainment system of sorts when I have it in my car mount? Ideally something that triggers automatically upon connection to a specific Bluetooth device.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there an app that'll let me use my phone as an infotainment system of sorts when I have it in my car mount? Ideally something that triggers automatically upon connection to a specific Bluetooth device.

Android Auto if this was a year or two ago!

If you start navigating via Google Maps, you can hit big buttons and control your media. Doesn't seem to work with MediaMonkey, but seems fine with YouTube Music and PocketCasts.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
My car's touch screen is busted so I have a phone mount to keep Maps open, then I picked up a Spotify Car Thing to control Spotify on the phone without having to press buttons on the phone and hide my map. I used to control Spotify by having to press the buttons to swap apps but it got really annoying and I was having to spend too much time clicking on the phone and not paying attention to the road, it's been a lot nicer having two screens (and the Car Thing has physical buttons so it's nicer to interface with too).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Incessant Excess posted:

Check out Automate - I used to use it years ago before I had a car with android auto and it does exactly what you want. Looks like it's still being worked on and updated.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Now that Signal is axing SMS support, is Textra still the recommended 3rd party SMS app? What's up with the developer having a second SMS app ("Chomp SMS") that looks exactly the same in the screenshots?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Busy Bee posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear in my original message. I want to get rid of Instagram because of the mindless scrolling whenever I open it. I've muted and hidden everyone but it still finds a way to get me back in. So it would be nice to just have an app where I can be notified of any new messages / send messages.

Check Messenger (the standalone Facebook messaging app). I believe it merged messaging with Instagram so you may be able to use that?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just splashed on an S8 Ultra. Any apps I might have overlooked that are cool on a big-rear end tablet or are otherwise good with a pen? I'm trying out Concepts, seems like a pretty solid tool for sketching and such. Grabbed CDisplayEx for comics, Kindle, Moon+, the usual for reading. Tossed a few games and Parsec on there.

Can't get a few of my live wallpapers to play ball, though. Have a few Maxelus ones, but only have gotten Galaxy to work. AMOLED and Lines don't load and just seem to crash on preview.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If anyone is in the same boat wrt NewPipe subscriptions and channels not coming up with any videos at all for the last couple of days, it's due to Google a/b testing some new feature and NewPipe developers are working on it. In the mean time I've installed LibreTube from the f-droid store, which is adequate to tide me over. It should be able to import subscriptions from NewPipe or YouTube. That didn't work for me, possibly because I normally use the NewPipe x Sponsorblock fork, idk. But it does see the new videos for the channels I've entered manually and plays them, so whatever.