Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

sleeptalker posted:

Wtf they used the word "spoilers" in 1997? I swear I thought that was generally a post-2000 term.

I believe they mean it in the sense that it will spoil a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

guy in 1997 working for wired, firing up the lathe of heaven and he don't even know it lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loling at the idea that russia wasn't a kleptocratic mafia state in 1997

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

lobster shirt posted:

They had applied enough costs if whitewash for Daily Show libs to take Obama's "reset" policy seriously in 2008.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

it was controlled by the US then

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

chapo's done a few eps on the falwells, this doc looks great/fun

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1580242266177691648

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yeah

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wow, 9 out of 10 with the Chinese Cold War still possible. We're right on track.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Wow, 9 out of 10 with the Chinese Cold War still possible. We're right on track.

cancer rates (at least in the USA) are not on the rise..... yet...... but yea other than that, pretty prescient

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
that wired excerpt has the layout and tone of the exposition in a cyberpunk rpg manual

Truancy-Bot
May 9, 2012

eat a dick, truancy-bot

Mr. Lobe posted:

I believe they mean it in the sense that it will spoil a good time.

this got me into a google books rabbit hole trying to find the oldest use in reference to narrative fiction. i found a 1859 Harper's Weekly article that uses the phrase "spoil the ending" in reference to someone guessing the ending of a story. as far as the word "spoiler" goes, however, the earliest reference I could find was in a 1994 guide to the internet that has a section on internet etiquette. so I'm guessing it was something that started in pre-internet fandom (zines and stuff) that spread to the internet and eventually became common parlance. :eng101:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

lol lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I hadn’t seen that in a while and didn’t realize we were now at 9/10. Christ!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lol haha

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
They left out the worst "spoiler" of all- the kid in third grade who thought revealing endings made him cooler somehow

What am I supposed to think. What a cool thing he described, it's like he did it himself!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Frosted Flake posted:

Which one do you think we haven't achieved? As far as I can tell we are 10/10

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

looks like 10/10 to me

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
trying to figure out if i can watch the adam curtis thing on my tv, for free. hell i'd even pay for it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

trying to figure out if i can watch the adam curtis thing on my tv, for free. hell i'd even pay for it

if you have a smart tv their interfaces for finding new apps may be weird, but should be simpler on a chromecast. try looking to see if bbc iplayer is an app you can download. otherwise i'm just watching a downloaded file on my pc through vlc player and i believe i can cast that to the tv if i wanted to

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think the New Cold War is still largely rhetorical, but we’ll see how the next year goes.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

i say swears online posted:

if you have a smart tv their interfaces for finding new apps may be weird, but should be simpler on a chromecast. try looking to see if bbc iplayer is an app you can download. otherwise i'm just watching a downloaded file on my pc through vlc player and i believe i can cast that to the tv if i wanted to

cool thanks... i will try it

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the New Cold War is still largely rhetorical, but we’ll see how the next year goes.

nancy pelosi insisting on visiting taiwan over chinese opposition and joe biden repudiating five decades of US foreign policy on strategic ambiguity mean I’d rank that one

china clearly doesn’t want war, but the US wants it now before it gets any weaker (hence the explicit goal of the ukraine war to weaken russia and take them out before pivoting to china)

if china was as ruthless and psychotic as the US, the clear winning move right now would be covertly supporting russia in exchange for a mutual defense treaty of some kind. weaken the US and europe, and let them drive themselves to the point of collapse

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

cool thanks... i will try it

ugh apparently i'd have to use a VPN for this. somebody post it on youtube!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Learn 2 :filez:

Windscribe has a roll your own plan and it can be as low as $2/mo

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

torrenting and using plex is the ideal solution

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yeah, I meant it more that China doesn’t seem interested. A lot of US foreign policy moves seem reckless or unexpected and it seems people aren’t sure how to react.

The US offshored production to China and relies on buying consumer products from there to keep society stable and to drive the financial economy. Picking a fight with China does not really fit into all that.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, I meant it more that China doesn’t seem interested. A lot of US foreign policy moves seem reckless or unexpected and it seems people aren’t sure how to react.

The US offshored production to China and relies on buying consumer products from there to keep society stable and to drive the financial economy. Picking a fight with China does not really fit into all that.

sweaty tweaker USA pulling off its t-shirt and following china around, screaming FIGHT ME BRO COME ON FIGJT ME while china awkwardly tries to ignore us

lol good for them. I’m glad at least somebody can be the adult in the room

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

They left out the worst "spoiler" of all- the kid in third grade who thought revealing endings made him cooler somehow

What am I supposed to think. What a cool thing he described, it's like he did it himself!

Complaining about spoilers in class in a failed attempt to get out of todays reading quiz

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NeatHeteroDude posted:

crazy that you didn't ask me about this. this is my whole poo poo!

It's actually an article about troubled teens, and not about seeking the most attention.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
got his rear end

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the teens certainly are in trouble when a blue star gets tehre though

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
another one :thurman:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

The Soviets weren't interested in a cold war either. It only takes one side to be belligerent. Fly Molo has pretty much the correct read on the situation from my point of view.

The only one of the ten that hasn't come to pass is the cancer one and only if you read that in the strictest sense, that it would have to be cancer rates that exposes the US healthcare system's fragility. It also frames it as linked to pollution which is much, much better since the 90s so it's only correct obliquely, that the US healthcare system is on the brink of collapse (or depending on the region is in a state indistinguishable from collapse), but whiffed both on the cause and mechanism. Still, given that this is a list of ten predicted catastrophes of which nine are mostly correct and this is closest to wrong, I'm willing to give it to them because actual consequence was predicted.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the teens certainly are in trouble when a blue star gets tehre though

additionally troubled teens

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
:mmmsmug:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jello Biafra is starting his own podcast

quote:

This is not his long running YouTube rant-cast, “WHAT WOULD JELLO DO?” This is RENEGADE ROUNDTABLE!! Where Jello acts as Interview Host From Hell – in all kinds of free for alls with his not so hapless guests:

Al Jourgensen

Greg Palast

Mojo Nixon

Mike Watt

Fred Armisen

Winston Smith

Eugene Hutz (Ukrainian main man of Gogol Bordello)

Holzfeuer (ArnoCorps)

Dominic Davi (Tsunami Bomb)

GWAR And more!!

Joe Rogan without Joe Rogan!
Less reptilian than Larry King!
All the thorns without Charlie Rose!

https://alternativetentacles.com/2022/10/13/new-podcast-from-jello-biafra-renegade-roundtable/amp/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just to be safe i googled moon unit zappa podcast and she's only done lots of guest appearances but doesn't have her own

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

chapo's done a few eps on the falwells, this doc looks great/fun

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1580242266177691648

That guy did Cocaine Cowboys? I will check it out.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's actually an article about troubled teens, and not about seeking the most attention.

drat dude. between you and ben shapino and the surgery i feel bad for NHD, it’s been a rough week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1580736837261627392