Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yo they brought back Numbani, nice.

Also:

Resolved a bug where leaving Skirmish could cause Challenge progress to be lost

Hey, people were experiencing that up thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

How do they differentiate people who are actually Bronze 5 and those affected by the rank bug? Lmao.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

teagone posted:

How do they differentiate people who are actually Bronze 5 and those affected by the rank bug? Lmao.

:unsmigghh:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I moved up to Bronze 3 after my first 7 wins so they clearly thought I wasn't there by mistake and I'll be honest - they're right because I am definitely a Bronze Brig.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Servers seem to be broken. I can't connect to any games. Queue pops, "Connecting to server" can even talk to the people matched with me, then it fails.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yo they brought back Numbani, nice.

Also the Necropolis. It has great sandstorm going.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why am I not surprised that the only 3 tanks that are actually capable of defending their team are the ones with highest winrate? It's almost like putting brawler "tanks" into the main tank role is a stupid loving idea.

EDIT: Also I'd kill to see average deaths per minute for dps roles vs support roles.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jack Trades posted:

Why am I not surprised that the only 3 tanks that are actually capable of defending their team are the ones with highest winrate? It's almost like putting brawler "tanks" into the main tank role is a stupid loving idea.

Gotta be honest whether or not it's a winning strategy (I really have no clue), when a high mobility tank like DVA leaves the front line to go harass someone it feels real bad, especially if I then watch their silhouette change color and go critical through a wall.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The funny thing about Widow is that they already fixed her and made her good and balanced by making Ashe. :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Gotta be honest whether or not it's a winning strategy (I really have no clue), when a high mobility tank like DVA leaves the front line to go harass someone it feels real bad, especially if I then watch their silhouette change color and go critical through a wall.

I always hide chat, but my brother said during a comp match that one of our supports was getting annoyed in team chat with my DVa play because I'd keep boosting away from them often to go chase a kill lol. Said something to effect of "gently caress off DVa, why you always fly away" lmao. It was a match we ended up winning so :shrug:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

teagone posted:

I always hide chat, but my brother said during a comp match that one of our supports was getting annoyed in team chat with my DVa play because I'd keep boosting away from them often to go chase a kill lol. Said something to effect of "gently caress off DVa, why you always fly away" lmao. It was a match we ended up winning so :shrug:

teagone posted:

lol at this combo

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: Also I'd kill to see average deaths per minute for dps roles vs support roles.

I mean Zarya was listed as top 3 in win rate and she's more of a brawly off-tank than a consistent team protector. Presumably this is because she can very easily get high charge and do a ton of DPS rather than because she can protect her team at the same level as Rein or Sig.

I think Dva is strong, it's just also easy to play her in a way that fucks your team if you're not careful or are lacking in game sense. There's a fine line between adding a ton of value via boosting in to assassinate or confirm kills or at the right moments, and essentially throwing because you're not really protecting or creating space for your team (essentially just playing her as a flanker rather than waiting for the right time to boost in). If she's just frontlining with matrix she can protect her team probably just as well as Zarya, so I don't think that's the reason. It would be interesting to see all the winrates, rather than just the top 3, as well as winrates by MMR brackets. E.g. does Dva win more at higher ranks where more people understand how to play her effectively, or is it pretty even across the board? In general a big problem for lower ranked tanks is understanding when you're playing healers that can't easily reposition to heal you if you break LoS because they generally play further back and lack mobility (e.g. Ana, Zen). That's much more likely to happen with tanks like Dva, Winston, Doom and Ball compared to more straightforward frontline tanks like Rein, Zarya, Winston, Hog and Orisa.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you keep all communication disabled in team based games you should stick to single player games, you don’t have the emotional maturity to handle playing with others, and the mental shrug you just did reading that since you don’t give a poo poo about other peoples’ experiences is a part of your behavioural problem.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DrBox posted:

Servers seem to be broken. I can't connect to any games. Queue pops, "Connecting to server" can even talk to the people matched with me, then it fails.

Yeah, they just added an alert to the launcher. They're aware. Time to do laundry and my timesheet I guess :negative:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Inept posted:

lol at this combo

I placed Silver 5 :smuggo:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wheeee posted:

If you keep all communication disabled in team based games you should stick to single player games, you don’t have the emotional maturity to handle playing with others, and the mental shrug you just did reading that since you don’t give a poo poo about other peoples’ experiences is a part of your behavioural problem.

I excessively use the voice comm wheel (have significant ones bound to kb/mouse shortcuts) and now the new ping feature when I duo. I only like to chat with my stack. I only ever play in a duo or a 4 to 5 stack in comp. [edit] Lol at psychoanalyzing someone for hiding video game chat.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 13, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah, they just added an alert to the launcher. They're aware. Time to do laundry and my timesheet I guess :negative:

Seems to be back

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you are consistently muting voice chat and hiding text chat you'll just end up in whatever rank that play style puts you in, because that's how you've won or lost all your games. It's not throwing unless you just get pissy and do it some of the time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

teagone posted:

They track a ton of performance stats per rank per hero compared to people at the same rank on the same hero.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I got bronze 5 for support where I was playing best and winning most often, bronze 1 for DPS where I less effective and lost more matches, and silver 1 for tank - where I got a poo poo load of kills as hog and zarya and lost even more games.

Get them elims to rank up I guess

Last season I did I was just flitting between gold and plat so that first bronze 5 was emotionally painful

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 13, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
A thing that really needs to be emphasized in the OW2 New Player Experience is something like:

"I know you are used to occasionally being able to win a fight 1v5 in other games. This is so exceedingly rare in Overwatch 2 that trying it even once can lose whole games. You should always look to engage the enemy team when your own is at full strength, and never trickle in over and over again unless the situation is desperate. Doing this will cause you to win the game 10% more often, and if you don't do it you'll get sent to Overwatch Leavenworth to think about why you have so much trouble processing a simple concept"

On the plus side I managed to talk a pubbie out of "GG we suck this game is over" poo poo when the other team had six minutes on the clock on the third point in King's Row. I kept him positive, we won a few fights, and he ended up getting a game-winning ult in the last fight. Good times!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

They track a ton of performance stats per rank per hero compared to people at the same rank on the same hero.

Ahh yeah, that makes sense.

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you are consistently muting voice chat and hiding text chat you'll just end up in whatever rank that play style puts you in, because that's how you've won or lost all your games. It's not throwing unless you just get pissy and do it some of the time.

Been doing it since like Season 4? of OW1 comp, lol. My OW experience has been the better for it, tbh. I haven't endured nearly the amount of toxicity that some goons have described ITT for a good long while. I could have been, I just didn't know it :haw: Though, lack of voice comms could explain why I got hardstuck around 3100ish SR, but I can also just admit to myself I am trash and refused to improve lmao.

[edit] I just want to note that I played in a goon-run Serious Overchill OW tourney several years back, and fellow goon Bittersteel was put on my team. They never used voice chat and rarely used in-game chat, but they were a consistent high master/GM player (not sure if they ever hit T500) and in general, they owned. Just saying.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 13, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

:ok:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comms are overrated at the lower-to-mid ranks anyways. While it most certainly isn't always the case, you're more likely to experience bad and/or suboptimal shotcalls probably lol. I do recommend everyone use the ping system though. It's really good!

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 14, 2022

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
it kind of grinds my gears they didn't take the assets from the removed maps and make them into new maps for the "sequel". as garbage as hanamura, anubis, and lunar colony were, they were fun to look at.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Been playing way too much, got the battlepass done through 80 just by virtue of dumping a ton of time into the game.

Prestige tiers for titles up to level 200. :smith:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jack B Nimble posted:

I hit diamond in every role hiding basically all comms and just alt-f4ing out of pretty much every game where people started yelling slurs or having adult tantrums at the times when I didn't have chat muted. Comms are extremely impactful at a certain point, but that point is probably up around GM. I've said it previously but a ton of people have cumulatively negative impacts because they suck at comms and either make bad callouts, talk over sound cues, or actively tilt their team mates. Good shotcalling is hugely impactful at low ranks, but if people were really good shotcallers they pretty much by definition are not in lower ranks.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Wheeee posted:

I'd like to see the Venn diagram of people who say this poo poo and people who have awful voices and/or terrible mics.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I just apply the same standard that I do to pickup basketball or any other sport or game: if someone is such a dipshit that I'd walk away from a game of basketball with them, then I do the same in game. life's too short to listen to some 35 year old loser throw a tantrum

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I just apply the same standard that I do to pickup basketball or any other sport or game: if someone is such a dipshit that I'd walk away from a game of basketball with them, then I do the same in game. life's too short to listen to some 35 year old loser throw a tantrum

force all OW pubbies to play physical team sports for a year before they're allowed to queue

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is anyone else losing all progress on the weekly's that track damage, healing and mitigation? They're basically all at zero now and never seem to increase anymore.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I also spent a lot of time touching the poop that is overwatch solo queue toxicity and now I play with comms muted and chat hid and I'm having a great time. You know what else didn't have voice comms? TF2 because I wasn't using mics unless I was on, gently caress, teamspeak? 99% of my non-goon play time was just playing silently on servers that didn't have a lot of mics, and it was better than the current state of expected communication. I don't like these nerds! I don't want to hear them!

I unhide chat to compliment enemies that get good kills, and to tell people glhf and gg.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Coms are def not needed.

But this scoreboard absolutely was.

Only a single dumbfuck asked why I was playing brig and I just told him to check the meters.

I crush heals every single game and now I can easily prove it.

I do miss being “far left” card though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Coms are def not needed.

But this scoreboard absolutely was.

Only a single dumbfuck asked why I was playing brig and I just told him to check the meters.

I crush heals every single game and now I can easily prove it.

I do miss being “far left” card though.

it's also nice to be like "hey bro could you stop pushing in 1v5 and dying so often" and then being able to back it up when everyone else has died 6-to-8 times while dude is on life number 14

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
90% of comms you need are now easily and better done with in game pings

"enemy here" will ping actual hero icons when you use it on one, great for showing a widow or flanker

"attacking here"/"group up" for leading the charge

"fall back" when someone over extends

and ult status (though all players should be keeping an eye on the scoreboard for coordinating this)

most comms beyond that are superfluous or noise

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Went 4-0 tonight for comp. Ranked up Gold 3 to Gold 2. My brother has climbed from Bronze 5 to Gold 4 in a little over a week. If he can do it, y'all can too! I believe in you.

Bleck posted:

I'd like to see the Venn diagram of people who say this poo poo and people who have awful voices and/or terrible mics.

It's funny because I'm pretty sure Wheeee is the goon who said they only play arcade and that anyone who enjoys role queue or the main modes of OW have brain damage, lmao. They using voice comms to shotcall in arcade? Lmao.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
i think you all are sleeping on the effectiveness of praising pubbies over trivial triumphs.

also i can't tell you how thrilled i am to get a player icon for 31 levels of battlepass.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DoctorJones posted:

i think you all are sleeping on the effectiveness of praising pubbies over trivial triumphs.

Oh I'll at least unhide chat after a game if it's a good W or a decent match and tell the supports or dps or whoever thanks for the heals and big ups for all the damage. Good vibes only. I've always done that.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

After the Bridgett chat yesterday I'm trying her out and she's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

teagone posted:

Went 4-0 tonight for comp. Ranked up Gold 3 to Gold 2. My brother has climbed from Bronze 5 to Gold 4 in a little over a week. If he can do it, y'all can too! I believe in you.

It's funny because I'm pretty sure Wheeee is the goon who said they only play arcade and that anyone who enjoys role queue or the main modes of OW have brain damage, lmao. They using voice comms to shotcall in arcade? Lmao.

I'm normally low gold and I'm having an easy time getting 7 Wins + keep moving up.

Bronze something, silver 5, silver 3, silver 1

Called taking POG from a very good genii last game as a healer.

Was correct and it owned. :unsmith: