Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Any skipper that wouldn't taste the water themselves isn't fit to wear the star on their chest.

I guess it just feels wrong to me because I'm a chemist, not a Navy officer. And although we joke about "just taste it", one thing chemists are pretty drat picky about is not drinking unknown, possibly contaminated liquids in a professional setting. For me, the act of leadership would be to tell EVERYONE not to taste (or drink) likely contaminated water. And to just test the drat stuff in a lab and fix the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

I get the solidarity with the crew I guess, but, if there was bad stuff in there and the Lincoln needed to do something it seems like a bad idea to have the CO incapacitated??

The best way to get something fixed in the Navy is to make sure it affects officers too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pmchem posted:

I guess it just feels wrong to me because I'm a chemist, not a Navy officer. And although we joke about "just taste it", one thing chemists are pretty drat picky about is not drinking unknown, possibly contaminated liquids in a professional setting. For me, the act of leadership would be to tell EVERYONE not to taste (or drink) likely contaminated water. And to just test the drat stuff in a lab and fix the problem.

This isn't how things are done on the battlefield, son. If you're not willing to put yourself in (some relatively minor) physical danger to prove to your folks that you back them, you aren't worth the position. (I'm not being sarcastic, here. It's dumb, but welcome to the military mentality.)

I would've had 3x more respect if the CO actually dropped after drinking it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

This isn't how things are done on the battlefield, son. If you're not willing to put yourself in (some relatively minor) physical danger to prove to your folks that you back them, you aren't worth the position. (I'm not being sarcastic, here. It's dumb, but welcome to the military mentality.)

I would've had 3x more respect if the CO actually dropped after drinking it.

but like, they're not on a battlefield. as someone said earlier, it was at pier. to me this is like saying Capt. Crozier should've stayed at sea, kept the Roosevelt sailing, and intentionally gotten covid himself instead of going to port. but I think this thread really liked Crozier's decision to respect the health of his crew?

e: if they were sailing into the middle of a fight, I'd have a different opinion on all this

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pmchem posted:

but like, they're not on a battlefield. as someone said earlier, it was at pier. to me this is like saying Capt. Crozier should've stayed at sea, kept the Roosevelt sailing, and intentionally gotten covid himself instead of going to port. but I think this thread really liked Crozier's decision to respect the health of his crew?

e: if they were sailing into the middle of a fight, I'd have a different opinion on all this

TRAIN HOW YOU FIGHT

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

pmchem posted:

Okay, so seeing your tag, think about it this way

The CO passes her esprit de corp and authority check but failed logic

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I get that you wouldn't want to drink an unknown substance, but here's the situation - the crew has already been given this water to bathe/drink/cook with.

I get where you're coming from, but this is something most likely isn't going to kill her as it hadn't killed anyone else in the crew. And when you want people to follow you into battle (even if you're not in a battle right now), they better know you have their loving back. The sailors that know their skipper is going through the same poo poo as them are going to be more willing to work for that person when stressed the gently caress out by the challenges of being on a ship at sea.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yes, it is corny in a way. Yes, it is really unsafe. There are also sailors living on the ship dealing with that every day.

I wouldn't expect the CEO of a company to do that, but this is the military, and if you want people to follow you into battle, this type of poo poo matters.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Also most things on a ship can be identified by taste and are, whether voluntarily or not.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes, it is corny in a way. Yes, it is really unsafe. There are also sailors living on the ship dealing with that every day.

I wouldn't expect the CEO of a company to do that, but this is the military, and if you want people to follow you into battle, this type of poo poo matters.

She didn't have to to prove this though. Just switch to different tanks, dump those, and figure out the problem, its not that hard. I would only expect this if the crew was going to go on drinking that water.

I would expect my engineers to take immediate action if they thought the water was bad. They don't need a taste test from me, they know I don't want to drink lovely water and I don't expect them to either.

They're at the dock for fucks sake they have a potable hose running from city water to the loving ship its not like they are in the middle of the south China sea with evaps down.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Contamination wouldnt be sudden it probably came on gradual. Probably were eating lunch ir sipping some coffee that tasted overly brominated when someone realized they were in port and it shouldnt, "does this taste kind of salty to you?" "Yeah kinda" "break doc, your presence is requested in the wardroom"

"oh no ma'am, we don't test water stateside only foreign ports" "eh, run the tests anyway, see what comes out"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

slurm posted:

Also most things on a ship can be identified by taste and are, whether voluntarily or not.

Yep, that is definitely senior chiefs rear end in a top hat.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

piL posted:

Contamination wouldnt be sudden it probably came on gradual. Probably were eating lunch ir sipping some coffee that tasted overly brominated when someone realized they were in port and it shouldnt, "does this taste kind of salty to you?" "Yeah kinda" "break doc, your presence is requested in the wardroom"

"oh no ma'am, we don't test water stateside only foreign ports" "eh, run the tests anyway, see what comes out"

Why would you test water? We test the tanks on a calendar basis to check for anything nasty living in there, usually dump in a gallon of bleach at the same time. I already have a good idea of where I want to take on water and plan accordingly.

They would have city water at the dock I wouldn't bother testing, the line will be pressurized and saltwater isn't getting in there. Somehow someone either hosed up an evap, dumped saltwater in directly or theres cracks. Cracks would be my #1 suspicion but I don't know anything about CVS. Captain said she went to bed with clear water and woke up to cloudy. I'm assuming pot tanks are at least like 100 tons so thats a pretty quick change.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

slurm posted:

This is how we could tell who was in the rack on the sub.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

lightpole posted:

Why would you test water? We test the tanks on a calendar basis to check for anything nasty living in there, usually dump in a gallon of bleach at the same time. I already have a good idea of where I want to take on water and plan accordingly.

They would have city water at the dock I wouldn't bother testing, the line will be pressurized and saltwater isn't getting in there. Somehow someone either hosed up an evap, dumped saltwater in directly or theres cracks. Cracks would be my #1 suspicion but I don't know anything about CVS. Captain said she went to bed with clear water and woke up to cloudy. I'm assuming pot tanks are at least like 100 tons so thats a pretty quick change.

At least in the submarine fleet we test both RO effluent and the tanks regularly (unless your doc's a piece of gun decking poo poo). We wouldn't test pier water though.

RO/Evap effluent on nuclear ships is very strictly monitored for salinity as it has to meet steam plant purity requirements as well. IIRC CVNs store most of their water in innerbottoms, so through-hull contamination is a possibility.

MonkeyFit posted:

This is how we could tell who was in the rack on the sub.

I woke up to someone finger-banging the space between my toes once, I had assumed it was a moistened finger, but I have a more disturbing idea now.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Youre going to have your salinity coming off the evap and then do your routine boiler water testing daily. Thats a different case and you're not putting city water into your feed tanks.

Also salinity cells in your condenser, feed, condensate, DFT maybe, whatever.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 14, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, obviously it's different when everything's coming from one source at sea vs dedicated potable and pure water connections in port.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

lightpole posted:

Yeah, sorry. What I was trying to say is somebody went, "water's weird" and then they tested it, and that's how they went from thinking to knowing.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you don't have realtime monitoring of salinity and particulates in your potable water system, you're just asking for it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wibla posted:

If you don't have realtime monitoring of salinity and particulates in your potable water system, you're just asking for it.

Smell / taste are all we ever used on all the ships I sailed on except the cruise ship.

The cruise ship had a chlorine monitor.

If you’ve ever showered using Lake Erie water, it’s not a smell you forget.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
How are you getting particulate in your potable?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
It's 0000, do you know which RO is aligned?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One of my HT friends used to like to get up real close to people when they were using a scuttlebutt and whisper in their ear things like “i made that just for you.”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

One of my HT friends used to like to get up real close to people when they were using a scuttlebutt and whisper in their ear things like “i made that just for you.”

loving lmao, just walk up and lean over real close in their ear while they're bent over or something? Its not gay when underway

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
100%. He was great.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Any skipper that wouldn't taste the water themselves isn't fit to wear the star on their chest.

Pretty much.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

Crab Dad posted:

It’s pierside.
Ok I guess make cmc drink it instead.

It wasn’t pier side at the time. The first announcement came about 7 hours after we had pulled out and was 3 days before I could shower or drink the water without oil/cloudiness coming out of the faucet.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Lotta water testing chat in this thread because a carrier loving sucks again. Figured I'd chime in to baseline the discussion:

For those wondering, yes water on a (surface) ship is routinely tested.

Water off ROs and evaps is tested coming out the discharge of the system, in line, for salinity. Precise conductivity to be considered safe depends on the specific system for the ship. After that most ships have an inline brominator before filling a potable water tank.

Potable water tanks are tested for free bromine prior to be placed on suction with the assumption being made today if free bromine is high enough, then there shouldn't be bacterial contamination.

Weekly, medical samples the ice machines and a selection of potable water sources for various bacterial contamination such as e. coli.

Most ships don't have any quantitative method of testing for things like fuel contamination, mostly because that's actually pretty hard to do. That's really down qualitative measures like smell, taste, and sight.

If a ship is having a legitimate e. coli outbreak in their potable water system then loving lol. It implies that there are multiple, systemic, failures across multiple departments. Lol at people who think carrier life is better.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Apologies for typos and not being EOOW board ready in that post. I just got back inport and I'm more than very tipsy right now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ManMythLegend posted:

Apologies for typos and not being EOOW board ready in that post. I just got back inport and I'm more than very tipsy right now.

Beer and Spirits don't come mixed with salt water or fuel oils, so its really just the safest and smartest choice you can drink.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TidePods4Lunch posted:

It wasn’t pier side at the time. The first announcement came about 7 hours after we had pulled out and was 3 days before I could shower or drink the water without oil/cloudiness coming out of the faucet.

Bleh so sorry dude.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

You're fine, welcome home, and thanks for agreeing with me!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hey cool got a letter from an admiral for my fleet week service. Apparently I’m an excellent tourguide and computer/printer toucher.

Hope I get invited back.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Hey cool got a letter from an admiral for my fleet week service. Apparently I’m an excellent tourguide and computer/printer toucher.

Hope I get invited back.

FLOCs will help you in some many ways such as: [file not found]

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

FLOCs will help you in some many ways such as: [file not found]

All I want is to go back. I’ll use it as my cover letter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elviscat posted:

I woke up to someone finger-banging the space between my toes once, I had assumed it was a moistened finger, but I have a more disturbing idea now.

Why is this not the auto-reply whenever someone asks about enlisting in the navy?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Why is this not the auto-reply whenever someone asks about enlisting in the navy?

Feet are gross anyways.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Post feet pics and let us be the judge

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

lightpole posted:

Post feet pics and let us be the judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The Venture Bros is the only show to make a pedophile foot fetishist a sympathetic character