Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Infinitum posted:

How good is Andor? I'm sorta maxed out on shows atm
Andor is exactly the Star Wars all the ragey proto-nazis who turned hating the prequels into their entire personality wanted and it still manages to be really, really good because instead of stopping at "Star Wars, but MATUUUUUUURE" meaning no fun or smiles and filled with rape, murder, and dick jokes, it actually does Star Wars maturely.

I prefer my Star Wars to be more grounded in the serials of yore, but since now all we have to do to get something flavored to our liking is wait a year or so instead of loving twenty of them, I can get all the way behind whatever flavor they wanna' show me provided it's done well and boy howdy is Andor done well.

Cargo culting maturity never works. You can't take a story with no characters you can get behind and slap some dirt and War Is Hell on it and call it a day. You still have to tell a story that's about something. That was my problem with Rogue One, after all its rewrites and such, so I was looking forward to Andor to the tune of zero. "I'll give it a shot" was the sum total of my excitement.

It is now one of my favorite parts of the franchise and I would take a blaster to the chest for Cassian Andor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's been rape in Star Wars?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

live with fruit posted:

It's a rhetorical example of a hypothetical "dark" and "edgy" vision for Star Wars from lovely fans, one that thankfully has not been realized.

Gonna concur that Andor is legitimately great, though I haven't seen the last two episodes because I'm watching them with someone and they've been out of town.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

D-Pad posted:

I love that this show is a 9 episode takedown of the toxic side of the marvel fanbase. Even better is instead of hating it for that reason, it flies completely over their heads and they hate it for the exact reasons the show itself predicted and explores. It's like meta 4th wall breaking, a step above the normal 4th wall breaking she-hulk does in the show.

This show has been the weirdest experience for me because I previously subscribed and watched videos from people like Critical Drinker and I'm watching his videos while watching this show and just wondering... is he watching a different show? Like at the very worst this is a harmless and fairly inoffensive show, unless you're "one of those guys" the show lambasts... so, I guess what I'm saying is, I'm dumb and I have unsubscribed from an idiot.

Video in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rt0en0f_pU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone gone through the comics in KEVIN’s room and identified them?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They're also in the law office when Jen is first hired and doing the walk through

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

delightful posted:

This show has been the weirdest experience for me because I previously subscribed and watched videos from people like Critical Drinker and I'm watching his videos while watching this show and just wondering... is he watching a different show? Like at the very worst this is a harmless and fairly inoffensive show, unless you're "one of those guys" the show lambasts... so, I guess what I'm saying is, I'm dumb and I have unsubscribed from an idiot.

Video in question:

Looking through their other videos I'm concerned about how much of this guy you've been watching

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

Looking through their other videos I'm concerned about how much of this guy you've been watching

since i don't want whatever the gently caress this is polluting my recommendations, what exactly is going on in this video?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

There were some really great jokes in the climactic scene that just blew right past super fast. I loved the "wait, who says that?"

Did not expect the show to go from Woman vs. Society to Woman vs. God that hard and I think it kinda worked

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Soonmot posted:

since i don't want whatever the gently caress this is polluting my recommendations, what exactly is going on in this video?

Intelligencia breaking the 4th wall

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Seems like the kind of person who thought Jeff was really cool and should’ve had sex with Annie.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

delightful posted:

Video in question:

Critical Drinker is a chud with lovely opinions. I'm glad you've finally noticed.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

why would any sane human watch videos from someone named Critical Drinker and think you're getting anything other than engagement? Everyone's only doing this for the money lol

These people have made so much money making GBS threads on Shehulk cause the other side gleefully goes along with the fight and amplifies all these idiots.

It's how we got trump as president afterall, free advertising

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I really want Jessica to appear on another show like Daredevil and try to do a little to-camera joke about being a cameo and then Daredevil has to be like "hey hey hey save it for your own show, Fleabag"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tom Tucker posted:

I really want Jessica to appear on another show like Daredevil and try to do a little to-camera joke about being a cameo and then Daredevil has to be like "hey hey hey save it for your own show, Fleabag"

We see her 4th wall break from the other characters' perspective and they're going "Why is Jen staring at the wall and muttering again??"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tom Tucker posted:

She Hulk vs. The Priest from Fleabag is NOT where I thought this show was going, but I'm onboard!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Barreft posted:

It's how we got trump as president afterall, free advertising

Trump got around average Republican votes, Hillary got less than average democratic votes, and the electoral college still exists. it’s certainly how news networks made lotta money in 2015 through 2021

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I guess I subscribe to lovely people and should maybe re-examine some of them. Like, AngryJoeShow is mostly a stan for Marvel/MCU and he seems to hate She-Hulk too. Did he become a chud? I never got chud vibes from him before.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

delightful posted:

I guess I subscribe to lovely people and should maybe re-examine some of them. Like, AngryJoeShow is mostly a stan for Marvel/MCU and he seems to hate She-Hulk too. Did he become a chud? I never got chud vibes from him before.

Some people don't like this show, it doesn't make them a chud. It's become such a big thing in social media that you're either with it or against it. I haven't watched it but from what I've seen the right wing dickheads are out as usual doing their thing.

I never took joe as a chud, we all like different things *shrug* it's definitely a hot topic right now for obvious reasons

e: Like is she a chud? she's a bi canadian and just didn't get any of it, timestamped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzz4kM13q60&t=823s

Maybe people on social media understood it?

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 14, 2022

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

delightful posted:

AngryJoeShow never does or says anything explicitly chuddy, but their She-Hulk, Ring of Power, HotD takes have been mirroring CriticalDrinker/Nerdrotic and the rest of chud YouTube completely.

As for the show, this episode didn’t really work for me, they took the 4th wall breaking too far so it went from being fun to cringy. Also for all the hype Titania was given in the run up to the show, she was a really minor part. Jen’s parents probably got more screen time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Golden Bee posted:

Trump got around average Republican votes, Hillary got less than average democratic votes, and the electoral college still exists. it’s certainly how news networks made lotta money in 2015 through 2021

It still bears remembering that after four years of everybody experiencing just how awful/incompetent he was, with people dying from a disease he helped abet with his anti-mask BS, Donald J. Trump in 2020 still got more votes than any previous candidate for President except Joe Biden in 2020.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The criticisms I heard are that it's too meta, nothing about chud stuff. I'm obviously ignoring idiots like Nerdrotic

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Always remember subscribers are going to chase views, even subconsciously, but also consciously because it's their job.

If you create content you effectively live inside a giant immediate feedback generator so all of your decisions become amplified. You start with a valid criticism of something, that gets traction and interaction, so you lean in a bit more, and eventually you're at the far end of the spectrum where you get engagement from those who agree with you and those who hate you, which only amplifies it. The entire content generation ecosystem is designed to push people to one societal extreme or the other.

Every content creator is basically living 24/7 in this dril tweet

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?lang=en

TyrantWD posted:

Jen’s parents probably got more screen time.

Rightly so

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He had a lil' ballcap!!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

Always remember subscribers are going to chase views, even subconsciously, but also consciously because it's their job.

If you create content you effectively live inside a giant immediate feedback generator so all of your decisions become amplified. You start with a valid criticism of something, that gets traction and interaction, so you lean in a bit more, and eventually you're at the far end of the spectrum where you get engagement from those who agree with you and those who hate you, which only amplifies it. The entire content generation ecosystem is designed to push people to one societal extreme or the other.

Every content creator is basically living 24/7 in this dril tweet

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732?lang=en

Rightly so

It gets the metrics unfortunately

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*leans into mic*
It's cause some dudes can't handle sex positive females in a leading role dropping social commentary truth bombs

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

social media is terrible, just stick to dead gay forums

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also a show that drops social media truth bombs isn't going to land with a whole bunch of your audience since they just want to watch a superhero show, so don't call them sexist or dumb because of it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

NewRockStars that does easter egg-spotting and also highlights the crew and inspiration behind nerd media seems to be doing great numbers without having to go into how it's the m she u and the next movie will destroy marvel forever

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This show ruled and that finale was just the type of comic weirdness I love.

I want more of this.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

What was the reason She-Hulk didn't go to jail for putting innocents in mortal danger?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

delightful posted:

When I was a kid I was best buds with some guys who were HUGE Marvel comic stans (I was more of an indie comics guy) and these days there's absolutely no way anyway would call them chuds but on the other hand they're still stuck in the 80s/90s mindset and they've got a lot of underlying beliefs and assumptions which they're super reluctant to examine, especially around depictions of women in media. We eventually drifted apart and although we're still friends we barely ever hang out any more. They'd probably say that I've changed but my comeback would be "Yes, you're supposed to."

Barreft posted:

Also a show that drops social media truth bombs isn't going to land with a whole bunch of your audience since they just want to watch a superhero show, so don't call them sexist or dumb because of it.

Eh, if they just go "Okay this wasn't for me" I'll give them a pass but if they hatewatched the entire season and posted multiple ranty Youtube takedown videos then they're on the hook.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barreft posted:

What was the reason She-Hulk didn't go to jail for putting innocents in mortal danger?

I assume that proving the fact Todd/Intelligencia commit multiple crimes (Jen mentioned invasion of privacy and theft of files to Nikki if I recall) also included showing that they basically set her up, and pushed her into those circumstances specifically to try and frame her as a monster so she would be arrested in the first place. I do wish the show had spent a few minutes after the discussion with K.E.V.I.N. having some legal drama to explore that though, since Jen wanted it to be a legal comedy and all.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When I was a kid I was best buds with some guys who were HUGE Marvel comic stans (I was more of an indie comics guy) and these days there's absolutely no way anyway would call them chuds but on the other hand they're still stuck in the 80s/90s mindset and they've got a lot of underlying beliefs and assumptions which they're super reluctant to examine, especially around depictions of women in media. We eventually drifted apart and although we're still friends we barely ever hang out any more. They'd probably say that I've changed but my comeback would be "Yes, you're supposed to."

Eh, if they just go "Okay this wasn't for me" I'll give them a pass but if they hatewatched the entire season and posted multiple ranty Youtube takedown videos then they're on the hook.

I agree completely. Already said ppl like nerdrotic and drunken whatever are doing it for clicks and hate the show to begin with. I don't think other ppl that have legit critisisms like Joe are though. It really doesn't matter we'll all forget about this by next week lol

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

XboxPants posted:

Now, if Scott Lang opens up a West Coast Avengers branch, I might have to change my tune...

Can't wait for Gwenpool to get her own series and completely alienate everyone who hates the fourth wall breaking :getin:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
This is only going to be funny to the other posters in the Knowledge Fight podcast forum.

I want to see Todd’s deposition tapes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barreft posted:

I agree completely. Already said ppl like nerdrotic and drunken whatever are doing it for clicks and hate the show to begin with. I don't think other ppl that have legit critisisms like Joe are though. It really doesn't matter we'll all forget about this by next week lol

There isn't any more MCU Disney+ content for a few months, and we don't even have a solid date on Secret Invasion; so we'll probably be talking about She-Hulk for a few weeks, even if it's much more sporadic conversation after a few days. Well, there's also a Guardians of the Galaxy: Holiday Special in December, but that's just a once off and not a show.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

tsob posted:

There isn't any more MCU Disney+ content for a few months, and we don't even have a solid date on Secret Invasion; so we'll probably be talking about She-Hulk for a few weeks, even if it's much more sporadic conversation after a few days. Well, there's also a Guardians of the Galaxy: Holiday Special in December, but that's just a once off and not a show.

Everyone's just going to quickly move to Andor it looks like. Gotta finally start that up this weekend.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

tsob posted:

lol if I've learned anything about this thread, it's that it's going to go weird places in between shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

live with fruit posted:

Depends on what you think Jabba the Hutt is physically capable of. Best not to think about it too hard, probably.

Anyhooooo

That was a great finale and I chortled a whole bunch. The bit where the Intellegencia were all "I don't hate She-Hulk because she's a FEMALE, I would have equal criticism if she was a man" etc, is exactly what big ole dummies in shitposting groups say. They must be furious, if they even watched that far.

Hope to see more Shulkie.