Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

TheBacon posted:

Someone ban this goon from this thread. Possibly AI entirely

Sorry, Station wagons are cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

whyyyy

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Al-Saqr posted:

Sorry, Station wagons are cool and good.

Yeah but you’re advocating for SUV’s not station wagons:

Al-Saqr posted:

Why would anybody buy a station wagon over an suv.

Some SUVs are OK but I’d prefer them not being around at all, especially compared to station wagons.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I'm of the mind that we need to start developing extra license requirements given the size of modern suvs and trucks. Also start treating distracted driving like a dui.

Station wagons are great and practical. Suvs are fine, but I've never had a fondness for any of the modern ones.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm of the mind that we need to start developing extra license requirements given the size of modern suvs and trucks.
100% agreed, but the ship has definitely sailed on that one since the AARP crowd has glommed on to midsize SUVs and crossovers for the fact that they don't have to get down in to or up out of their seat.

If they can block efforts at stricter licensing for 50,000 lb RVs they can definitely do it it for 5,000 lb Hondas.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking at sales figures I'm always shocked that the top three new car sales vehicles are full size pickups. I think of my GX470 as a big SUV but it's dwarfed by a regular old F-150. On the other end of things, I'm also surprised how small a lot of the popular crossovers are when I actually get close to them. It makes sense since they're based on cars or whatever, but for crossovers a lot of the popular ones aren't actually that big? Like a C-RV and a Camry have curb weights within 50lbs of each other.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The RAV-4 isn't popular because it's big. It's popular because it's a slightly lifted Camry wagon with AWD and a more commanding driving position. This is true of most other small SUVs.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that, my dumb brain just categorizes two row crossovers as like... just a tad smaller than a Tahoe, when of course they are what you say. Intellectually I know that the CX-5 is a lifted 3 hatcback, but it's like I'm expecting them to actually be bigger and they kinda look bigger in isolation, so when I stand next to one I'm like, oh poo poo it's the same size as a 3 (duh.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I wonder sometimes whether the hatch/wagon market in the US at least could have gone better if manufacturers had offered AWD in them more widely. Sometimes it was available but only in specific configurations and conflicting with some other desirable option (often the best engine or the sport package).

Of course as someone who has never owned an AWD vehicle while living in a lake effect snow area my entire life I will 100% die on the hill that most people who think they need AWD really just need a set of Blizzaks on steelies to swap over to when November comes around, but there's no denying that being able to check that box has significant sales/marketing benefits in any part of the US that gets "Real Winter".

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

I wonder sometimes whether the hatch/wagon market in the US at least could have gone better if manufacturers had offered AWD in them more widely. Sometimes it was available but only in specific configurations and conflicting with some other desirable option (often the best engine or the sport package).

Of course as someone who has never owned an AWD vehicle while living in a lake effect snow area my entire life I will 100% die on the hill that most people who think they need AWD really just need a set of Blizzaks on steelies to swap over to when November comes around, but there's no denying that being able to check that box has significant sales/marketing benefits in any part of the US that gets "Real Winter".

Gimme a quick non-VW AWD hatch with a DCT or good auto + adaptive cruise and you’ll have my money. A two-pedal GR Corolla would be choice.

On my second hatchback purchased brand new, no desire to go to a crossover.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BLUE VELOSTER N ACQUIRED

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

wolrah posted:

A west coast benefit to AWD/4WD is being able to skip chain up on major passes. Most of the passes here are chains required, except 4WD with winter tires okay. Even if that doesn’t really make that big of a difference to traction and ability to drive, not having to gently caress with chains on the side of the highway in the snow is nice if you semi frequently traverse passes here in the winter.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Midjack posted:

BLUE VELOSTER N ACQUIRED

Woah dude congrats that’s awesome!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Gimme a quick non-VW AWD hatch with a DCT or good auto + adaptive cruise and you’ll have my money. A two-pedal GR Corolla would be choice.

On my second hatchback purchased brand new, no desire to go to a crossover.

I've said it before, but I'd murder--perhaps literally--for a Fit with a turbocharger. Make it AWD and I'd break into a dealership to buy one.

So many of the small SUVs were designed by taking an existing hatchback and making it less practical.

powderific posted:

Yeah, I get that, my dumb brain just categorizes two row crossovers as like... just a tad smaller than a Tahoe, when of course they are what you say. Intellectually I know that the CX-5 is a lifted 3 hatcback, but it's like I'm expecting them to actually be bigger and they kinda look bigger in isolation, so when I stand next to one I'm like, oh poo poo it's the same size as a 3 (duh.)

I'm pretty sure they deliberately design them to look more massive than they actually are because people want big, but big is at odds with other design goals like fuel efficiency. It makes the interior less practical but what do they care?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I just want a Fit with a B16A

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I just want a Fit with a B16A

I’ll take what he’s having

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:hmmyes:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

GR Corolla build page is live
https://www.toyota.com/configurator/build/step/model/year/2023/series/grcorolla/

not that there's much in the way of options or colors or whatever lol

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I took the build page as a reason to call Toyota dealers again, I tried when they were announced too. Nothing but “we have no allocation and won’t be accepting orders or deposits”. I’ve gotten the same thing for the Type R, either everyone wants to mark things up when they arrive, or they genuinely don’t think they will get any.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I contacted the Toyota dealer in Austin and got an email back with a ton of typos from a salesman saying the car isn't available yet. They sent a PDF asking for a credit card if I wanted to put down a $1000 deposit but no actual details about allocation or price. (I'm sure it will be marked up).

If I'm gonna pre order a car it better be the Morizo edition, but lord knows $50k for a hatch already feels silly.... That said it does seem neat. Still wish the GR Yaris had come to the US. And besides, I doubt some random like me could even get a 1 of 200 sort of trim when there are people with Bitcoin money willing to pay huge markups.

A dumb thought I had was seeing if the Costco car buying service could get me one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It absolutely won't help, it's just a referral to the nearest dealer

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s spooky season, tiny bat-friends!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have a really dumb picture somewhere of my roommate’s Miata done up more or less the same way complete with Dracula cape.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

My MK7’s trail of blood coolant will have to do this year.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I gotta figure out how to put tiny wings on the mirrors to complete the look. Any ideas?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

wzm posted:

I took the build page as a reason to call Toyota dealers again, I tried when they were announced too. Nothing but “we have no allocation and won’t be accepting orders or deposits”. I’ve gotten the same thing for the Type R, either everyone wants to mark things up when they arrive, or they genuinely don’t think they will get any.
I got a very significant update on my Corolla GR pre-order. "I am watching for your Toyota Corolla GR. I do not have any updates currently."

e: allegedly 2nd on the circuit list and 3rd on the core list (though said I would only buy if specced with the LSD).

gvibes fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 19, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has there ever been a luxury hot hatch?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I guess the AMG A class, but I don't think we got that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

opengl posted:

I guess the AMG A class, but I don't think we got that.

We get the GLA 45 AMG, I think that counts

You could maybe also count the old wagony A3, which was basically an Audi GTi but a but longer. Possibly the Volvo C30, although that was not very hot. If you consider Minis luxury, then those count.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

gvibes posted:

I got a very significant update on my Corolla GR pre-order. "I am watching for your Toyota Corolla GR. I do not have any updates currently."

e: allegedly 2nd on the circuit list and 3rd on the core list (though said I would only buy if specced with the LSD).

First on my dealers list (put my order in w deposit in November) and I get texts from the dealer every few weeks saying literally the same thing,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My FiST is down, likely the turbo seals, hopefully not the head gasket. I called the place I normally go and found out the techs walked out and they only have tire guys and lube jockies right now. I called around and the only place that can get me in this month is the Ford Dealer. So I'm without a car for a bit and borrowed my dad's Audi Q5 and all the creature comforts have definitely spoiled me. Just got me thinking if there was a tiny luxury hatch.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rhyno posted:

Acura is a luxury brand, right? :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tom Guycot posted:

Acura is a luxury brand, right? :v:

GROSS

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is Audi? It’s a premium brand, but maybe not luxury.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is Audi? It’s a premium brand, but maybe not luxury.

I guess my perspective is skewed. But it's every bit as nice as my friends Lexus and a world beyond dad's old Infinity and both of those are marketed as luxury right?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Personally, I’ve never seen Lexus as a luxury brand, but rather a Buick to Toyotas Chevy. It’s certainly no Cadillac, despite the prices.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, google says Audi and Lexus are both considered luxury brands.

quote:

The top 10 luxury car brands of 2022 are Mercedes-Benz, Tesla, BMW, Volvo, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Land Rover.

https://luxe.digital/business/digital-luxury-ranking/best-luxury-car-brands/

So now i want a Lexus version of the GR Corolla

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh yeah, it’s all just personal distaste toward Lexus for me. Neither Audi nor Porsche seem as classy as Mercedes on the top end, but Mercedes makes sprinter vans that have Ford as a competitor. Porsche makes extreme sports cars that have Lamborghinis against them. Compared to a Chevy (who haven’t made a hot hatch since the HHR SS, the bastards) or Ford, yeah, Audi is a luxury brand. I still don’t see them as competing with Mercedes or, on the sports end, Ferrari though.

Again, it’s just me. It’s all personal, everything I’ve said. I don’t dictate these things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I understand, makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Rhyno posted:

Well, google says Audi and Lexus are both considered luxury brands.

https://luxe.digital/business/digital-luxury-ranking/best-luxury-car-brands/

So now i want a Lexus version of the GR Corolla

That lists Tesla as a luxury brand, so it's obviously wrong.