Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

What's a good inexpensive black primer? I finally finished my old GW rattlecan and I need something moreasonably priced

I just sprayed it last night, so I have not tested to make sure it takes paint well, but Rustoleum Camo Black is ultra flat sprayed really nice and is inexpensive. And it definitely is matte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

What's a good inexpensive black primer? I finally finished my old GW rattlecan and I need something moreasonably priced

Rattlecan? Krylon Painter's Touch is what I usually use.

Airbrush/Brush-on? Vallejo Surface Primer

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I use car primer from the hardware store (and/or the pound shop if they happen to have a matt black, but I have a feeling that those cans are a false economy on a price/ml basis).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Now you can just have AI do it for you. I like snowbonk myself, but Turdly has a nice tone.

Hello, my name's Ronching Blue.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Hello, my name's Ronching Blue.

Ronching Blue is very close to the color my space marines are.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gonna paint my minis with Stoner Blue and Dope, man :okpos:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ronching Blue is very close to the color my space marines are.

I hope you based them with Sindis Poop.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Silhouette posted:

Don't

Get an airbrush

Yeast posted:

not an empty quote

I will if I ever get good enough for it to really matter. :v:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

You should not look at an airbrush as an elite or high tier tool, it's a basic instrument that streamlines a great deal of workflow, saving you precious time.

If anything you deserve to have an airbrush.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Airbrushing just makes laborious parts of painting take like 10% of the time and it opens up a variety of techniques are fairly simple, especially with the popularity of acrylic inks, and look very good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Airbrushing is inexpensive and extremely helpful.

Never needing to use rattle cans again is reason enough.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I'm a weirdo who finds brush priming relaxing. :shrug:

I'll rephrase: Maybe I'll get an airbrush when I'm fast enough to really justify it. I don't get to the varnishing stage for many tiny mans. Setup and up keep seem like a pain in the rear end if I'm barely gonna use it.

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010

Siivola posted:

Oh and to be clear I was talking about AP's line of ordinary acrylics, Warpaint. They're plenty transparent when thinned.

Edit: AP's Strong Tone wash is cheaper than Nuln Oil, get that if you're on a budget.

Yeah, I thought as much, I've heard great things about the washes they do.

SiKboy posted:

People get quite militant about their paint brand preferences but every line I've tried (and I feel like I've tried most of the major ones) have had some good paints in their range and some absolute stinkers. Army painter are overall fine, their yellows suck out loud, their washes ("tones", so strong tone, weak tone, flesh tone) are great. A lot of their paints require more shaking than most to properly mix, if you go down the army painter route I'd recommend putting some kind of agitator in the bottles of any paints you feel are coming out watery, it'll make your life easier. A couple of ball bearings, beads, stainless steel bolts, or even bits of sprue if thats all you have. They've said all their paint moving forward has ball bearings in the bottle already, but if you end up with older stock you can add them yourself.

IIRC strong tone is their dark brown wash, its a good general purpose wash, but its closer to Agrax Earthshade than it is to Nuln Oil. Dark tone is their black wash.

Yeah, I am aware of that and was planning to buy some ball bearings (maybe AP's own brand ones to be safe) to help with that. As well as the nail polish shaker we have in the home here that I could borrow I think I will be fine with shaking them. But yeah, I've seen praise and disdain for them on places like YouTube and such but I feel they would be the perfect brand for me. So thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The time it takes to unpack, hook up, spray, break down, clean and put away your airbrush is still like less than half the time it takes to prime or varnish by hand

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DressCodeBlue posted:

I'm a weirdo who finds brush priming relaxing. :shrug:

I'll rephrase: Maybe I'll get an airbrush when I'm fast enough to really justify it. I don't get to the varnishing stage for many tiny mans. Setup and up keep seem like a pain in the rear end if I'm barely gonna use it.

If you want to try a dead simple airbrush, perfect for priming or simple base coats, I'd recommend a Paasche H. Get one of those, with a side cup, and you're good to go. It's a single-action, external-mix brush, so it keeps things as simple as possible. Press the trigger to start painting, let go to stop. Adjust the paint flow by turning a knurled ring. Those are the only 2 things you'd need to do to use the brush. There are no small fiddly bits at all on this brush, everything is big and chunky. You can break down and clean it in about 10 seconds flat. It's outclassed by modern airbrushes, but it's still a workhorse in the special effects industry because of it's simplicity, hardiness, ease of use, and ease of care. You can find them for under $50 when they're on sale.

I have one just so I can throw undiluted primer through, or nasty paints I don't want in my more expensive airbrushes. Never let me down so far.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you want to try a dead simple airbrush, perfect for priming or simple base coats, I'd recommend a Paasche H. Get one of those, with a side cup, and you're good to go. It's a single-action, external-mix brush, so it keeps things as simple as possible. Press the trigger to start painting, let go to stop. Adjust the paint flow by turning a knurled ring. Those are the only 2 things you'd need to do to use the brush. There are no small fiddly bits at all on this brush, everything is big and chunky. You can break down and clean it in about 10 seconds flat. It's outclassed by modern airbrushes, but it's still a workhorse in the special effects industry because of it's simplicity, hardiness, ease of use, and ease of care. You can find them for under $50 when they're on sale.

I have one just so I can throw undiluted primer through, or nasty paints I don't want in my more expensive airbrushes. Never let me down so far.

Quoting this to ponder later. This is a pretty good sales pitch.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Speaking of airbrushing and varnish what's a good airbrushable matte varnish? Bonus points for one that doesn't require precision PSI since I have one of those rechargeable USB air compressors that can't be adjusted.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

rantmo posted:

Speaking of airbrushing and varnish what's a good airbrushable matte varnish? Bonus points for one that doesn't require precision PSI since I have one of those rechargeable USB air compressors that can't be adjusted.

The matte can get a bit shiny if you put too much on, but I've been using Vallejo Mecha varnishes and like them well enough.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Was dipping my feet back into painting with a broadside suit model I got as a birthday gift, so I gave him a Tradie/Construction worker paint job.

I'm tempted to look into how to print custom decals or stickers so I can put a Ryobi logo on the green "Equipment"

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

rantmo posted:

AK Interactive Matte Varnish, or Mig Lucky Varnish Matte is superb.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Yeast posted:

AK Interactive Matte Varnish, or Mig Lucky Varnish Matte is superb.

i can second ak interactive matte varnish. used it on some csm that had a bunch of red pigment for mars terrain and they still look great.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, I purchased warhammer 40k kill team recruit edition, I’m thinking ahead for how I want to paint to paint the miniatures, the box features 10 Ork Kommandos and 10 Veteran Krieg Guardsmen.

I want to try going full Bad Moonz or Death skulls for the Orks. Something wierd and vibrant accents like that. The black and yellow or black and blue are very appealing to me and I don’t want to go with the typical red of the blood axe and angry sunz.

For the guardsmen I’ll propaply go for a mix of French-German WW1 grit with maybe one of their side pauldrons being something bright like a copper or silver to denote rank and role.

My question is, is there a good resource to look up color schemes and designs? Something just to jog my thinking, thanks.

Also I might want to add bits and bobs to my guardsmen like aquilas, ribbons and maybe war trophies, does GW or others sell small stuff like that?

Also I want to make my melee guardsmen and choppa orks look like they’ve Just sliced through 20 foes, how do I add dried blood spatter effects in their blade and clothes in a decent way?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 14, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Blood splatter: mix Vallejo still water, red paint, burnt umber ink until you get an arterial blood color. Reference some GIS blood bag pictures. Then take a small makeup brush and flick the bristles from the direction blood would be splattering from. Less is more

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This guy owns. :black101:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

This guy owns. :black101:

Thanks. I never mentioned it, but the cloth is just soulblight grey "shade" over the same drybrush base colors as the rest of the model. It says shade on the bottle but it really behaves more like a contrast paint. Wasn't so sure about it but I like how it's more of a warm white rather than the cool white of the apothecary contrast.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

WHTV painters: By using contrast paints we're going to paint models in these classic colour schemes.
Duncan: Hold my beer. This is how you do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiLPKJzx_A4

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

rantmo posted:

I've been using a golden matte varnish thined down a bit with water/vallejo flow improver and that seems to work well. I'm sure there's a dull-coat out there that's better though

Those USB compressors are a game changer. Grabbed one off Amazon and I use it over my big tanked compressor constantly. Opens up the option to paint outside, it's quiet as hell, and seems to work as well if not better than a traditional compressor

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I just sprayed it last night, so I have not tested to make sure it takes paint well, but Rustoleum Camo Black is ultra flat sprayed really nice and is inexpensive. And it definitely is matte.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Rattlecan? Krylon Painter's Touch is what I usually use.

Airbrush/Brush-on? Vallejo Surface Primer

SiKboy posted:

I use car primer from the hardware store (and/or the pound shop if they happen to have a matt black, but I have a feeling that those cans are a false economy on a price/ml basis).

Thank you three :tipshat:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Calhanol posted:

Yeah, I thought as much, I've heard great things about the washes they do.

Yeah, I am aware of that and was planning to buy some ball bearings (maybe AP's own brand ones to be safe) to help with that. As well as the nail polish shaker we have in the home here that I could borrow I think I will be fine with shaking them. But yeah, I've seen praise and disdain for them on places like YouTube and such but I feel they would be the perfect brand for me. So thanks for the tips and suggestions.

A nail polish shaker, a ballbearing and a few drops of distilled water can bring back paints that look completely unuasable, I have been super impressed by how well mine mixes paints. A well mixed paint is significantly easier to use too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Always wanted one of those shakers I see whenever I go to the hospital for blood tests. One of those that keep the blood from coagulating in the test tubes.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

Those USB compressors are a game changer. Grabbed one off Amazon and I use it over my big tanked compressor constantly. Opens up the option to paint outside, it's quiet as hell, and seems to work as well if not better than a traditional compressor

Can you link to the one that you purchased? I'm very curious to see what they're like.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cooked Auto posted:

Always wanted one of those shakers I see whenever I go to the hospital for blood tests. One of those that keep the blood from coagulating in the test tubes.

I've got a vortex mixer, and while it is entirely unnecessary on a basic level it is very satisfying to use. Like I'd not recommend you get one, because you really really 100% do not need it, its a frivolous waste of money, but at the same time I dont regret getting mine. Paint go brrrr.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SiKboy posted:

I've got a vortex mixer, and while it is entirely unnecessary on a basic level it is very satisfying to use. Like I'd not recommend you get one, because you really really 100% do not need it, its a frivolous waste of money, but at the same time I dont regret getting mine. Paint go brrrr.

I glued googly eyes to mine

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SiKboy posted:

It's a godsend for contrast paints since they separate so much over time. If you transfer into dropper bottles you can see the mixer strip the settled paint off the bottom and just imagine how much manual shaking it would've taken to do the same thing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a godsend for contrast paints since they separate so much over time. If you transfer into dropper bottles you can see the mixer strip the settled paint off the bottom and just imagine how much manual shaking it would've taken to do the same thing.

Yeah I enjoy getting to mix up something like tesseract glow after not using it for a while, nice and relaxing to watch the mixing happen.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I just use black gesso (liquitex, specifically), watered down a tiny bit. It brushes on real easy, is very matte, and a good bit cheaper than specific mini primers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Please don't use black gesso on minis. While it's not guaranteed to clog up details, it's specifically made so that clogging up details is a higher risk than other sorts of primer. If you really give a poo poo I can go find a model I've primed with black gesso and a model I've primed with Vallejo primer and you can go "yeah ok you're right" but please just take me on this and don't use black gesso.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Can you link to the one that you purchased? I'm very curious to see what they're like.

I have to imagine the airbrush is trash, haven't used it. Otherwise its worked very well. I would have loved to get one with a more standardized usb charger, but what can you do

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09KH5D32P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This ones out of stock (and in Canada), but I imagine you'd just want to poke around for a similar design and check on the reviews

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Update on the camo flat black: It seems to take paint just fine, from the pot, from a wet palette, and contrast paints. So that is good. It is also very, very flat. It makes most other black primers look shiny by contrast. So I actually think I might like it better than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please don't use black gesso on minis. While it's not guaranteed to clog up details, it's specifically made so that clogging up details is a higher risk than other sorts of primer. If you really give a poo poo I can go find a model I've primed with black gesso and a model I've primed with Vallejo primer and you can go "yeah ok you're right" but please just take me on this and don't use black gesso.

I'm not jovi but if you have those minis on hand I'm interested. My experience with Vallejo primer has been universally godawful, while gesso has served well enough as a substitute when spray priming has been untenable due to heat, humidity, or both. It's not perfect and there are definitely a few models where I've noticed the loss of fidelity, but everything else I've tried for brush primer is so much worse I've basically just accepted it. (An airbrush is not feasible for me.)