Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Chinston Wurchill posted:

100% agreed! I just finished the finals and it was great al around despite having the winner spoiled when I was looking for information about tie breaks.

Overall I may have enjoyed the FSGP more than the G1 this year. The highs weren't quite as high, but there was no Bad Luck Fale or Chase Owens in the field so the lows weren't nearly as low either.

Sounds like there may be some more English commentary shows on the horizon which I'm looking forward to.

I absolutely enjoyed the 5*GP more than the G1 this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
That reminds me, I've got to breeze through the rest of 5*GP that I haven't watched yet this week because I have a friend coming over Friday to watch the finals.

I have a feeling AphroditE will take the tag league win, but I'll probably be rooting for Black Desire. Cool to see Yuu in there too, putting her in the same block as Iida means we'll get at least one tiny-hoss fight.

yea ok posted:

Red > White? Yes?
The way I had it explained to me is comparing it to NJPW's pre-unification belts, where IWGP Heavyweight & Intercontinental were seen as equals and could headline either show, but Heavyweight was still ostensibly the top belt. So you can apply that to the World & Wonder belts respectively.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

good stuff. im just going through 2019 cause i have a lot of free time on my hands in the afternoon. my stardom knowledge mostly comes through the filthy tom show & it was funny watching utami hayashishita vs doudrop, then looking back on this thread and finding out that people (not in this thread) were really pissed that utami was getting pushed so much, knowing that she's like one of the aces now. :razzy: Funny how things work out sometimes

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I think that works as a comparison - the basis of them were AJW's top belts where on paper the WWWA was the top belt but both could main event shows; at times the All Pacific was the more significant one; and there were big names who didn't win the former and its never really talked about as being to the detriment (for example: between January 1990 and May 1995 you had two reigns: Bull Nakano for almost three years, Aja Kong for two and a half so there wasn't the possibility for an Akira Hokuto reign so she did the All Pacific instead). Now the World Title is entrenched as the top one but in 2018/19 it could be argued that the White Belt was the one they were focusing on more: the Red Belt had the accidental Toni Storm reign (Mayu Iwatani got shoot injured in her match forcing a change that was not meant to happen and they rolled with it); a Kagetsu reign that felt secondary to stuff happening with the White Belt and a Bea Priestley run that wasn't very good: while on the White Belt side you had Io's last hurrah in Stardom before putting over future ace, err, Momo Watanabe who had a great year long reign before losing to Arisa Hoshiki who then went on to have the fun "they are in the same faction; Arisa likes Tam; Tam hates Arisa" thing they were doing. Mayu beating Bea very much established the Red Belt again and since then its been the one they'll main event the top shows with.

On factions I was going to put together a rough face-heel order but then I came to the realisation that Stardom's factions don't feel like they have the same clear identities they used to probably because there are so many. Initially you had three (STARS as the clear face group; Queens Quest initially were heels but shockingly turning Io Shirai heel didn't work so they became face-leaning tweeners and Oedo Tai were fun heels under Kagetsu). You had JAN for a while who were an alternative face faction that died quickly; TCS were the cool face group but they obviously lost a lot with the death of Hana and probably had to go away afterwards; Oedo Tai went evil heel after Kagetsu retired (although they've pivoted back with the wrench stuff a bit: inherently quite funny); Giulia formed DDM as a group of outsiders that were sort of cool tweeners; Cosmic Angels are the idol and gravure group (and Waka loses every match); then you add God's Eye who are sort of DDM but more face and Syuri is the leader? Oedo Tai are the only clear feel faction; STARS are the clear home army; and like in the middle you have mostly face leaning groups that don't really have a collective message that make them stand out in the way that the 2018 factions did. I think this is partially just them growing as a promotion quickly; having a roster full of people they want as faction leaders and having a clear house style for their factions.

yea ok posted:

good stuff. im just going through 2019 cause i have a lot of free time on my hands in the afternoon. my stardom knowledge mostly comes through the filthy tom show & it was funny watching utami hayashishita vs doudrop, then looking back on this thread and finding out that people (not in this thread) were really pissed that utami was getting pushed so much, knowing that she's like one of the aces now. :razzy: Funny how things work out sometimes

As an Utami fan since Day 1 (literally her first match - find it on Stardom World and watch it its great) that was a very, very funny period to go through. There were people that would outright block you on twitter if you replied to their tweets with one of the Utami All Belts photos (this was the best one); people annoyed at them daring to push someone new because it wasn't THEIR TURN; all that stuff. Very common thing with Stardom: Giulia got it (although she wasn't very good when she initially started in Stardom); MIRAI is getting it; Unagi got it despite getting a midcard push at best: just typical Stardom fan behaviour that if its not the person they think should be pushed then its wrong and offensive.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 5, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/haruka_kato/status/1577656497554616320?t=MJCgoo4CXrRmUlqa7M_SZA&s=19

Ganbare Pro's HARUKAZE feels sick because she ate half a tub of margarine.

I really needed to share this because wtf

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

So far I've only watched up to and including Mayu vs SLK and that match absolutely ripped. Everything so far has been really good. The only match I didn't really like a ton was Ami vs Saya k but that's probably more a me thing than the match actually not being good. Even Mina had a good match and I'm usually not a fan

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

IceAgeComing posted:

On factions I was going to put together a rough face-heel order but then I came to the realisation that Stardom's factions don't feel like they have the same clear identities they used to probably because there are so many. Initially you had three (STARS as the clear face group; Queens Quest initially were heels but shockingly turning Io Shirai heel didn't work so they became face-leaning tweeners and Oedo Tai were fun heels under Kagetsu). You had JAN for a while who were an alternative face faction that died quickly; TCS were the cool face group but they obviously lost a lot with the death of Hana and probably had to go away afterwards; Oedo Tai went evil heel after Kagetsu retired (although they've pivoted back with the wrench stuff a bit: inherently quite funny); Giulia formed DDM as a group of outsiders that were sort of cool tweeners; Cosmic Angels are the idol and gravure group (and Waka loses every match); then you add God's Eye who are sort of DDM but more face and Syuri is the leader? Oedo Tai are the only clear feel faction; STARS are the clear home army; and like in the middle you have mostly face leaning groups that don't really have a collective message that make them stand out in the way that the 2018 factions did. I think this is partially just them growing as a promotion quickly; having a roster full of people they want as faction leaders and having a clear house style for their factions.
The thing that's taking me a lot of getting used to is that most units in other promotions are color-coded, have similar gear aesthetics, and wear their logos everywhere, where it doesn't seem like that's nearly as prevalent in Stardom. I still don't entirely have them completely sorted on sight alone.

DDM seems to be the closest to that, with the black/white/red color scheme. Oedo Tai uses black & purple but not always, and it's not uniform across all members. But the rest seem to not really have much rhyme or reason, at least to someone just coming in. Cosmic Angels are noticeably more glam and brightly colored, but Color's and Stars also do brighter shades. God's Eye and Queen's Quest have, I don't know, more straps on their outfits I guess? I still don't have a handle on Prominence yet either.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Crapple! posted:

So far I've only watched up to and including Mayu vs SLK and that match absolutely ripped. Everything so far has been really good. The only match I didn't really like a ton was Ami vs Saya k but that's probably more a me thing than the match actually not being good. Even Mina had a good match and I'm usually not a fan

Mina has a couple really good ones down the stretch, notably with Saya K and Natsupoi.

The first two nights and the final were obvious standout shows, but the Korakuen show from September 23rd was really great too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bonk posted:

The thing that's taking me a lot of getting used to is that most units in other promotions are color-coded, have similar gear aesthetics, and wear their logos everywhere, where it doesn't seem like that's nearly as prevalent in Stardom. I still don't entirely have them completely sorted on sight alone.

DDM seems to be the closest to that, with the black/white/red color scheme. Oedo Tai uses black & purple but not always, and it's not uniform across all members. But the rest seem to not really have much rhyme or reason, at least to someone just coming in. Cosmic Angels are noticeably more glam and brightly colored, but Color's and Stars also do brighter shades. God's Eye and Queen's Quest have, I don't know, more straps on their outfits I guess? I still don't have a handle on Prominence yet either.

Prominence's unifying aesthetic theme is scars, because they love doing deathmatches.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

IceAgeComing posted:

a Bea Priestley run that wasn't very good

I will never forgive Rossy for not putting it on Hana

quote:

Mayu beating Bea very much established the Red Belt again and since then its been the one they'll main event the top shows with.

With the exception of twice during Utami's reign. I get the hair v hair match main eventing, but the Goddess Belts main eventing over the Red Belt was purely due to Giulia being half the winning team and part of why I was sick of her during that period. She also really didn't hit her stride ring-wise until this year.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_qKra0OzSI

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Kraken hall

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

https://twitter.com/jimmygabagool/status/1578452785187913728?t=ONqldWTcC8raBHE_IyuHdg&s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Reluctant Pom is amazing lmao

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Max Vs Pom was the perfect debut, did exactly what it needed to and got out in 5 minutes

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Pom still can't escape the nightmare

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1579733638098595841

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Feud of the Year

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Max seems to be having fun with it as well

https://twitter.com/_theyaremax_/status/1579789310408404992

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

Feud of the Year

Agreed.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
If Max and Yuki Aino need a name for a tag team they can use my SA forums custom title for free

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Max vs Aja Kong is gonna be the best match of 1/4

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

was watching some random tag match with arisa hoshiki and thought wow shes cool those kicks are sometjing else. then i look and shes retired really early from injuries. please tell me more about arisa hoshiki.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

yea ok posted:

was watching some random tag match with arisa hoshiki and thought wow shes cool those kicks are sometjing else. then i look and shes retired really early from injuries. please tell me more about arisa hoshiki.

Arisa was widely seen as one of the next big prodigies in joshi wrestling when she was active. She was rapidly improving, and was very popular with audiences, and was face of the company level material for STARDOM. Like you said however, she retired early due to injuries, although the really bad stuff came after that.

After she announced her retirement due to injuries, fans started a harassment campaign against her, which did severe damage to her mental health. Losing Hana Kimura (who was a good friend of hers) did a lot of damage to her, and she herself sent out a tweet which could be seen as a suicide note at the time. Arisa had went to the police about the people cyberbullying her, who refused/couldn't do anything about it.

You can read up more on her STARDOM career here: https://wrestleinn.com/2022/05/30/arisa-hoshiki-the-brightest-stars-burn-twice-as-fast/

Not noted in that article is that she tried to return to wrestling last year for AWG (although she tried to spin it as an acting gig), but her body gave up on her there as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the video your av is from makes me laugh every drat time I watch it

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Haven't been watching the Youtube series, but the ladies from it are making their debuts on today's show. Unfortunately it's on at the same time as the New Japan show, so this is as much to remind me to watch it afterwards as anything else

quote:

TOKYO JOSHI PRO “YUME PRO WRESTLING -DREAM ON THE RING-”, 14/10/2022
Shinjuku FACE

1. Last Mission: Risako Vs Rika Tatsumi
2. Last Mission: Himari Manaka Vs Miyu Yamashita
3. Last Mission: Wakana Uehara Vs Shoko Nakajima
4. 3 Way Match: Hyper Misao Vs Raku Vs Mahiro Kiryu
5. Mizuki & Pom Harajuku Vs Max The Impaler & Yuki Kamifuku
6. Miu Watanabe & Suzume Vs Yuki Aino & Moka Miyamoto
7. Yuka Sakazaki, Maki Itoh & Haruna Neko Vs Rhia O’Reilly, Hikari Noa & Arisu Endo

Tomorrow is the big day for Risako, Himari Manaka and Wakana Uehara.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Edit: It's a singles match

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The tech guy knew about the complaints

https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1580862449628037121

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Uehara is actually looking pretty impressive.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
She is remarkably sound

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Willow got her visa issues fixed!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Max just sent Pom to the loving shadow realm

https://twitter.com/d_wrestlingifs/status/1580881742030069760?s=46&t=9Cne4_FCEzHQVLQBdFV4DQ

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I made sure to watch that before work. :allears:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Some great themes given to the dream on the ring crew.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU-aWLJcpzs

Really good part 2 for the Itoh video.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I really liked that Nakajima/Uehara match. Reminded me how great more hold-oriented wrestling can be, and how rare it is nowadays, outside of opening stretches. When the crowd pops for something as simple as a head scissors you know they're doing something right

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Watched wrestle princess 3 today and really enjoyed it. TJPW do these big events really well. Thought the match order was smartly scheduled, it ebbed and flowed really smoothly. Loved the variety of matches and they were all pretty solid. Fun stuff.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

DuhSal posted:

Watched wrestle princess 3 today and really enjoyed it. TJPW do these big events really well. Thought the match order was smartly scheduled, it ebbed and flowed really smoothly. Loved the variety of matches and they were all pretty solid. Fun stuff.

I really liked Ryo Mizunami against Suzume and the main event was very good as well. The Max and Pom stuff is gold as well

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Max & Pom is one for the ages, it's so good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Browsing Sendai Girl's website I've found that on the 13th October Kanon announced her retirement. She hadn't been on any shows since June as she stepped away in order to focus on her studies. She's only 16 so who knows if she'll come back one day.

An entire career without a single match in front of a cheering crowd.

And while I'm posting about Sendai Girls, couple more matches uploaded to their youtube since I last posted (well, a show & a half)

forkboy84 posted:

Another full Sendai Girls show up on Youtube

9th September in Shin-Kiba 1stRING, Tokyo
ASUKA & Yuu vs Red Energy (Mika Iwata & Miyuki Takase)
Sendai Girls World Title: Chihiro Hashimoto vs Ryo Mizunami

Dalys & Hiroyo Matsumoto vs Manami & Stephanie Vaquer
Ayame Sasamura vs DASH Chisako

14th September in Miyagino Ward Bunka Centre, Sendai
Miyuki Takase vs Momo Tani
Ayame Sasamura & Saori Anou vs Hiroyo Matsumoto & Manami
ASUKA vs Mika Iwata
DASH Chisako & Ryo Mizunami vs Team 200kg

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Off the heels of their promotion with Maki Itoh, Stiffblade apparel have partnered up with Miyu as well, including another baseball jersey

https://stiffblade.com/collections/miyu-yamashita