Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol that Zuck bragging about predictive AI legs was a lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Facebook Aunt posted:

They want it to run on a potato though, right? They want meta to capture all the grandmas that play farmville on facebook. That requires simple graphics.
for $15b they could have given everybody on earth a VR supercomputer

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1579905489286369280?s=20&t=XpORluvvatRiMgQwWbIv5w

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TACD posted:

for $15b they could have given everybody on earth a VR supercomputer

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Zucc is just preparing for his inevitable fall from grace and divorce. He won't need to worry about losing everything when he's already built a perfect copy of his life in the metaverse.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
If you add up all of the video games on Wikipedia's most expensive games ever developed at inflation adjusted numbers including disputed and unfinished games...you're under 6 billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

The wright brothers and the us military spent less than 2 million dollars in inflation adjusted dollars inventing the airplane.

The entire Apollo space program cost 25.8 billion dollars.

Leviathan Song has issued a correction as of 13:48 on Oct 14, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Wright brothers did about a man week worth of carpentry so yeah drat straight that didn't cost anything. The rice cooker in your kitchen is more complex a product than the Wright Flyer by orders of magnitude.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
can i get a mod that lets me do the keep on truckin' strut everywhere

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

The Wright brothers did about a man week worth of carpentry so yeah drat straight that didn't cost anything. The rice cooker in your kitchen is more complex a product than the Wright Flyer by orders of magnitude.

Not sure if you're joking but their wing tunnel work was the time consuming complicated bit.

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/wright-brothers/online/fly/1901/wind.cfm

A rice cooker is just a toaster with water in it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leviathan Song posted:

Not sure if you're joking but their wing tunnel work was the time consuming complicated bit.

if we're intentionally rounding off corners, a nuclear reactor is just an efficient and complicated way to boil water and planet earth is an expired salad.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

silentsnack posted:

if we're intentionally rounding off corners, a nuclear reactor is just an efficient and complicated way to boil water and planet earth is an expired salad.

It's not rounding off corners. An automatic rice cooker is an electrical heating element and a temperature sensor. When the water boils off it stops cooling the bottom of the pot through evaporation, the temperature increases, the heating element shuts off. You can buy fancier ones with some timer functions and things but you can also buy a toaster than senses the doneness of bread by sensing the change in color of the toast.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Leviathan Song posted:

It's not rounding off corners. An automatic rice cooker is an electrical heating element and a temperature sensor. When the water boils off it stops cooling the bottom of the pot through evaporation, the temperature increases, the heating element shuts off. You can buy fancier ones with some timer functions and things but you can also buy a toaster than senses the doneness of bread by sensing the change in color of the toast.

i, too, watched the technology connections about rice cookers

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Leviathan Song posted:

Going from rocks in the ground to the chip that controls that cooker requires a global logistics network and refinement and production steps that didn't even exist back then. The wright flyer is, exaggerating a bit, just barely outside what a single medieval village's craftsmen can produce if you give them the plans.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

aphid_licker posted:

Going from rocks in the ground to the chip that controls that cooker requires a global logistics network and refinement and production steps that didn't even exist back then. The wright flyer is, exaggerating a bit, just barely outside what a single medieval village's craftsmen can produce if you give them the plans.

there's no chip in a rice cooker

the Wright flier had an internal combustion engine, right?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

aphid_licker posted:

For cheap or old rice cookers you don't need a chip at all, just a strip of fancy metal and a contact :eng101:

(TC watchers rule!)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's probably our old friend: a bimetallic strip!!!!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i like the fancy best toaster that does that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shear Modulus posted:

begun, the battlebots wars have

drone wars was literally right there

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

more falafel please posted:

there's no chip in a rice cooker

the Wright flier had an internal combustion engine, right?

The majority of rice cookers in the top 10 rice cookers list I get displayed on Amazon have a digital display and 12 programs etc

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
there's no (need for a) chip in a rice cooker

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

aphid_licker posted:

You're exaggerating so much as to destroy the point. The Wright Flyer's engine had an aluminum crankcase to make it light enough to fly, no one could make that with medieval technology.

But then, the Wright brothers could have made a working airplane out of gold for less money than Facebook has allegedly spent developing Meta.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

those yoga mats are a sneak peak into the next 5 years of Pride flag variations

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

there's no (need for a) chip in a rice cooker

explain this, then

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Chamale posted:

But then, the Wright brothers could have made a working airplane out of gold for less money than Facebook has allegedly spent developing Meta.

i can't wait for the laid off reactionary computer touchers

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

feedmyleg posted:

explain this, then

because the oil doesn't boil at 100C like water does

actually i think the bimetallic mechanism ones sense absolute temp not change so that's probably electric?

everyone should watch https://youtu.be/RSTNhvDGbYI

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Oct 14, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

because the oil doesn't boil at 100C like water does

okay sure but why are there chips in a rice cooker tho

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

feedmyleg posted:

crapitalism

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i have a ricecooker. a big tiger one. it has way too many functions. i never use them. gently caress em.

however the one good function it has works fine. it'd be cooler if it was one with a more robust, single-function mechanism instead of the simulacrated everything-goes-on-a-chip, too-many-functions-having, needs-an-advanced-material-extraction-refining-and-fabrication-industry mechanism it and most modern ricecookers have. i think you can still buy those. or make them. a ricecooker doesn't need a chip to cook rice the way it does with a chip.

not that I think you were the one making this argument, but a ricecooker being one of the modern day conviences that relies on integrated circuits is one of the few examples you could try to use and be wrong.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

feedmyleg posted:

how else do u expect to cook doritos

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

feedmyleg posted:

somebody was making pregnancy tests with raspberry pi's (is that how you pluralize that??)

at this point we're gonna put chips in jars of playdoh

anyway the comparison between the wright flyer and meta doesn't feel right to me b/c one is a prototype and one is a global rollout implementation. it's more like comparing the wright flyer vs an entire fleet of airbuses

except in this case meta basically paid for the entire fleet of airbuses and wound up with 3 wright flyers lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbhlay8RI4k

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zECaH8cwFqA

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

feedmyleg posted: