Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres won the first game, they are definitely going to go 82-0-0
I know it was just 1 game but... remember when everyone said the Sens and Redwings had pulled away from the Sabres due to winning the offseason? 4-1 Sabres over Sens.

What if the Sabres late season surge last year was the real deal and that's how good they are now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Sabres looked better coached to me than a lot of teams, they play with a really nice structure and their guys are bought in. Not sure if they have the high end talent to make it work all season but it's cool to see a team play like a team.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This is like the seventh year running now that Sabres fans have gotten overly hype for the team early in the season, although I think game 1 might be the earliest this has happened. They’ve gotta be right sometime, why not this year!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Koopa Kid posted:

This is like the seventh year running now that Sabres fans have gotten overly hype for the team early in the season, although I think game 1 might be the earliest this has happened. They’ve gotta be right sometime, why not this year!
?! The Sabres had a hot start in 18-19 and 19-20. 2 years does not equal the last 7.

It’s ok. I’m sure it’s just because 7 is on your mind because this will be the 7th year in a row the leafs get eliminated in round 1.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1580735907401175040

Well I'll be.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Koopa Kid posted:

lol, I love how Buffalo usually starts pretty good out of the gates before getting back into their ways. Remember a couple years ago when they won 10 straight in November?

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

th3t00t posted:

I know it was just 1 game but... remember when everyone said the Sens and Redwings had pulled away from the Sabres due to winning the offseason? 4-1 Sabres over Sens.

What if the Sabres late season surge last year was the real deal and that's how good they are now?

Sabres looked better than I expected, but 2 of those 4 goals were into an empty net in the last minute.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 14, 2022

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

th3t00t posted:

?! The Sabres had a hot start in 18-19 and 19-20. 2 years does not equal the last 7.

It’s ok. I’m sure it’s just because 7 is on your mind because this will be the 7th year in a row the leafs get eliminated in round 1.

I really do appreciate the endless optimism, and I’m not being sarcastic about that

Spelling Mitsake posted:

lol, I love how Buffalo usually starts pretty good out of the gates before getting back into their ways. Remember a couple years ago when they won 10 straight in November?

If early season for the Sabres is like the regular season for the Leafs then February-April is their Round 1 equivalent. Same football, different timescale.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stars undefeated I'm gonna go flip a car

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

this is the high point of the season for Philly

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Keefe letting slip in the postgame that the coaching staff is considering summary execution as a motivational tactic

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1580751816425230336?s=46&t=sf1XtTYwDnAW_G5eUBTl6A

I don’t condone it, but sending Murray or Muzzin to the glue factory would fix a lot of cap problems

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Wild are going nowhere with Fleury as their main goalie
Also based off one game they need more than one line that is consistently threatening (though that one line is terrifying)

Rangers kinda got sloppy at times and especially turned the puck over in dumb ways in their own zone more than a few times but I’ll take the result we got

Womblemania
Sep 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
JFresh model of the Caps being top in the metro looking pretty bad, they are looking old as hell

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How old is Craig Anderson now? 50?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Womblemania posted:

JFresh model of the Caps being top in the metro looking pretty bad, they are looking old as hell

It’s two games back to back and they’ve had bad bounces not go there way. They clearly have problems, Carlson and the Power Play being the obvious, age another, but it’s not dogshit garbage tier.

Trying not to panic yet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How old is Craig Anderson now? 50?

41, coincidentally also his jersey #

Edit: we’re obviously joking about the Sabres being good already. They probably won’t make the playoffs this season but they have a growth mentality and the org has an actual plan now so we’re all very optimistic.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 14, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s two games back to back and they’ve had bad bounces not go there way. They clearly have problems, Carlson and the Power Play being the obvious, age another, but it’s not dogshit garbage tier.

Trying not to panic yet.

Both goalies have looked good. They have gotten goals (pretty much exclusively) from their depth. The old man line looked poo poo last night. And the top line has not been dangerous like a top line should be.

Hopefully they can sort things out against the Habs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just watched the highlights from the Rangers Wild game, that second Boldy goal was something else holy crap.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Koopa Kid posted:

I really do appreciate the endless optimism, and I’m not being sarcastic about that

If early season for the Sabres is like the regular season for the Leafs then February-April is their Round 1 equivalent. Same football, different timescale.
Optimism was at an all time low at the start of last season. I’d actually say there was none. The Sabres had just finished in last place, and had the Eichel injury/trade overshadowing everything. They made no significant offseason moves, signed the worst goalies in the league and were essentially a cap floor team. It looked like intentional tanking.

Then on top of that they lost 500 man games to injury from October to February, which was 2nd to Montreal.

Over the course of the season the Sabres slowly added new pieces to the line up. Like Samuelsson and Bryson from Rochester, Tuch and Krebs from the Eichel trade.

Then they all got healthy in March and the Sabres broke out of their round 1 equivalent. They went 16-9-2 in March+April, with only 8 of those games against non playoff teams. Including 3-0 against the
Maple leafs.

More wins than in the previous 4 seasons March+April’s combined, against the hardest strength of schedule in the league during that stretch.

It was the first time we had any optimism to end a season in 11 years.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington needs to put McMichael in the lineup tomorrow. It’s baffling that he didn’t get a lineup spot to open the year.

I appreciate what Lars Eller did for the Capitals in 2018 but he was dogshit last year and has been poo poo this year. He shouldn’t be blocking McMichael’s spot in the lineup.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

this is the high point of the season for Philly

Looking ahead at their schedule after the Canucks game tomorrow, they've got the Lightning, then the Panthers, and Predators

Unless they do some genuinely shocking thing like score goals consistently, they are likely in for a rough time

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cartoon Man posted:

Trying not to panic yet.

They've also played two of the better teams in the league. If this was mid season I think people would be disappointed but not necessarily surprised that the Caps dropped those two games.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They've also played two of the better teams in the league. If this was mid season I think people would be disappointed but not necessarily surprised that the Caps dropped those two games.

Yeah that’s kinda my thought. They were “in it” for most of each game, both were winnable.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1580700808139591681?s=46&t=eFswVwELT6NfU9Fvc34kvw

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

And the he loving slapped her Skinner.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Washington needs to fix their powerplay which has been terrible to start there year. 0 for 9 and only a 53% xGF.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Washington needs to fix their powerplay which has been terrible to start there year. 0 for 9 and only a 53% xGF.

I’ve only seen about 2 of those power plays that looked good and just wouldn’t go. I’m pretty sure Ovi rang the pipe on at least 2-3 of them. But yeah, it’s trash.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Didn't watch the game because gently caress this team

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage (at tanking)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

bub spank posted:

Sabres looked better than I expected, but 2 of those 4 goals were into an empty net in the last minute.
Yeah, and 2 with the goalie in the net.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

41, coincidentally also his jersey #

Edit: we’re obviously joking about the Sabres being good already. They probably won’t make the playoffs this season but they have a growth mentality and the org has an actual plan now so we’re all very optimistic.
Yeah lol. Me saying the Sabres are better than Det and Ott is not the same as calling them good. And even if they are as good as they were during their "hot finish" that would mean they are a middling team. They were 15th in the league for March+April, 2 points from 10th place and 2 points from 20th during that stretch. I don't think it's crazy to think the Sabres could be in the 15-20th range if things go well for them this season. That's how low the upper bound of my optimism is.

Instead of being near the top of the garbage heap of the bottom teams of the league like they were last year, maybe they could move up to the bottom of the garbage heap of the middling teams of the league this year.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I thought I was overreacting to the Sens losing their season opener, but then I saw Sabres posters after a win lol

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Went to the Pens opener and had a blast. Arizona looked like garbage and did get better as they game went on, but it’s kind of crazy to think there are two or three other teams who could be worse than them.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

I thought I was overreacting to the Sens losing their season opener, but then I saw Sabres posters after a win lol

Could have been worse. Imagine if they lost to The Montreal Canadiens in their opener.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:discourse:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Washington needs to put McMichael in the lineup tomorrow. It’s baffling that he didn’t get a lineup spot to open the year.

I appreciate what Lars Eller did for the Capitals in 2018 but he was dogshit last year and has been poo poo this year. He shouldn’t be blocking McMichael’s spot in the lineup.

Honestly I'd be okay with it if they lose the first ten or fifteen games of the season because they desperately need a coaching change.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
still cannot fathom the coaching decision that led to Erik Haula playing on the first line PP over Jesper Bratt

I kept waiting for the classic win a faceoff then sprint to the bench to get Bratt on, but no

Lindy Ruff is the worst coach in the NHL

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That is an awesome shot

(The photo is good too :v:)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1580770619917942785

https://twitter.com/ARHockeyStats/status/1580737633810255872

what a loving idiot

e: lol he apparently he left the press conference after the reporter pressed him again on this, amazing

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 14, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

are they punishing him for trying to get a fair contract?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I remember allegedly after the Muzzin puck flip that Tkachuks Calgary teammates had told him to cut back on his bullshit because they were sick of getting in dumb scrums for no reason

Watching the Panthers highlights and he started some poo poo with Matt Martin between the whistles leading to everyone on the ice hugging each other. I can totally see that getting old fast, why start poo poo with the Isles 4th line, what’s the benefit of getting inside Matt Martins head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

what’s the benefit of getting inside Matt Martins head?

I dunno, it should be pretty roomy in there?