Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

From Settings, tap Connections > More connection settings > Private DNS. If something is typed in there, clear it out and change it to Automatic.

Private DNS was set to off but I switched it to automatic, and still no internet.

Edit: This is what I needed to do to fix my tablet.
https://routerctrl.com/samsung-tabl...%20the%20issue. but you guys gave me more search terms to find that so thank you. The clock being wrong after being in a box for over a year was what hosed everything.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Skwirl posted:

Private DNS was set to off but I switched it to automatic, and still no internet.

Edit: This is what I needed to do to fix my tablet.
https://routerctrl.com/samsung-tabl...%20the%20issue. but you guys gave me more search terms to find that so thank you. The clock being wrong after being in a box for over a year was what hosed everything.

Aaaaaaaah, yeah okay now it makes sense lmao

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm usually a naked phone guy but I thought I'd get a case for the P7P cause it's expensive and poo poo...how do you people life like this?
I got a Spigen hybrid ultra cause I thought at least it's transparent and not to big but it's just horrible. The whole phone just looks bad and cheap now. It feels terrible and rubbery and the phone feels twice as big. Dust collects in the corners of the screen which sucks.
I mainly wanted it for protection against wear and tear because the back of my Pixel 6 was scratched to hell in the spots where it touches the table. And I just know that the shiny camera bar will have scratches on it within five minutes.Maybe I should just get a skin instead of a case? I don't really need drop protection since I don't drop phones...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How did you manage to have a Pixel 6 without a case for any length of time without the back getting cracked/smashed. The thing slides off any surface which isn't absolutely flat.

I hate cases too. How much did they spend on R&D and design on these phones' outer structure. And then the whole thing has to be covered by a big bit of cheap plastic or rubber anyway.

The whole idea of making a phone out of... glass... seems like the most insanely dumb thing ever to me. Was googling other options last night (ceramic/plastic backed phones) but nothing great showing up it seems sadly.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

El Grillo posted:

How did you manage to have a Pixel 6 without a case for any length of time without the back getting cracked/smashed. The thing slides off any surface which isn't absolutely flat.

I hate cases too. How much did they spend on R&D and design on these phones' outer structure. And then the whole thing has to be covered by a big bit of cheap plastic or rubber anyway.

The whole idea of making a phone out of... glass... seems like the most insanely dumb thing ever to me. Was googling other options last night (ceramic/plastic backed phones) but nothing great showing up it seems sadly.

R&D prioritizes aesthetics over durability.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Shai-Hulud posted:

So I'm usually a naked phone guy but I thought I'd get a case for the P7P cause it's expensive and poo poo...how do you people life like this?
I got a Spigen hybrid ultra cause I thought at least it's transparent and not to big but it's just horrible. The whole phone just looks bad and cheap now. It feels terrible and rubbery and the phone feels twice as big. Dust collects in the corners of the screen which sucks.
I mainly wanted it for protection against wear and tear because the back of my Pixel 6 was scratched to hell in the spots where it touches the table. And I just know that the shiny camera bar will have scratches on it within five minutes.Maybe I should just get a skin instead of a case? I don't really need drop protection since I don't drop phones...

The best case I've found is Bellroy, but even after a few months of that I went back to naked. I just don't enjoy the extra size increase or aesthetic downgrade that a case adds, and it's not any extra effort to just not drop the phone by paying attention.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are those dbrand skins just a gimmick or is the protection against scratches and increased grip real?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

El Grillo posted:

that's not true at all. take the case off, it's much nicer to use without it. i've had the 1, 3, 4 and 5 caseless without breaking any of them. i got a case for the 6pro that i used only while lifting, and even then i didn't end up needing it and i won't be getting one for the 7. i'm not some kind of super-careful person either. i have terrible balance and i broke my arm earlier this year from a fall while skating at low speed. are y'all actually dropping your phone all the time? what makes you think you actually need the case other than someone is selling it to you?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Day one of P7P life, got about 5h15 screen time with a bunch of crunching (podcasts at 1.1x and skip silence, Fortnite) before the battery died. Eighteen hours off charge, but, you know, Day One with a new phone, definitely not the normal usage pattern. Swapped between 60 and 120Hz and didn't notice a huge difference, so I'll likely drop to 60 and see how that goes, and see the difference between 1080p and 1440p.

Big complaint is wow, Bluetooth on this phone and my car (2013 Honda Pilot) does not get along - pairing is fine, but then it just rapidly connects and disconnects a few times before staying disconnected. I vaguely remembered changing the Bluetooth version on my Pixel 3 to make it work, so I changed it down to 1.3, but no dice. Googling gives some other options, so I'll try those, but if someone's got a silver bullet, I would love to hear it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Might be a bit late to case-chat, but I've been partial to the Spigen Rugged Armor. I've used one on my last three phones and it's a solid case.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

butt dickus posted:

what makes you think you actually need the case other than someone is selling it to you?

nerve damage

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

Are those dbrand skins just a gimmick or is the protection against scratches and increased grip real?

I have a dbrand leather skin on the back of my Pixel 5 and like it a lot. The P5 isn't super slippery to begin with, but it does provide basic scratch protection. The leather is also weathering nicely if you're into that look. I had one of the printed skins on my Pixel 3 that held up for a year+ without showing really any signs of wear, which was also impressive. They both stay stuck well if you take the time to apply them with a hair dryer and press the edges down.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

effika posted:

nerve damage
i'll give you that one, but am i to believe everyone here has nerve damage? i even used to get hella drunk on weekends and never smashed one. now i just get hella high every day and still don't smash them

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah, cases actually are required for lots of people who can't handle their phone for a lack of dexterity beyond thoughtless clumsiness, or live active lifestyles or have kids or have pets or whatever. Doesn't stop goons from assuming everyone lives life exactly as they do and only needs what they deem necessary.

Someone asked about dbrand, their skins are actually textured, so the leather skins are actual leather feeling (and might be actual genuine leather, I can't remember). I've used the Matrix or Hive one, and that texture was borderline hard.

I ended up buying Google's official case with the store credit I got for preordering. I know they aren't great, but that seemed like a good gamble using credit. I also got the actual dbrand Grip case, and I've had that in the past. It's high quality, super grippy along the sides, the skins they sell fit on it, it's not super bulky-- it even flares in to be flush with the sides along the middle of the device so it's easier to get your hand around compared to other cases. It's also kinda spendy at $40ish, though.

I like the Spigen Tough Armor I've had on previous phones, and the Spigen Liquid Air I have on my 6a. Those cases are both available for the P7.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Incessant Excess posted:

Does anyone know a thin case for the 7 Pro? I got the Thin Fit but they changed the texture compared to the 6 Pro variant to be less grippy which I'm not a fan of, unfortunately all the other ones I've seen are wider and thicker and the 7 Pro is pretty hefty as is.
I had a Thin Fit for my P2XL but have just ordered a Spigen Liquid Air, based on recs from this thread.
I would definitely prefer to not use a case, but it's just so ridiculously slippery I dropped it twice on the table while unpacking it.

God I miss the days of Nexus 5 with a plastic back that had this rubbery feeling like a TPU case.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, cases actually are required for lots of people who can't handle their phone for a lack of dexterity beyond thoughtless clumsiness, or live active lifestyles or have kids or have pets or whatever. Doesn't stop goons from assuming everyone lives life exactly as they do and only needs what they deem necessary.
that would be cool if people said those things. it's always "this phone is so slippery!" which isn't true

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

butt dickus posted:

that would be cool if people said those things. it's always "this phone is so slippery!" which isn't true

If people want a case, why do they need to explain their need to you? You don't have to be a myopic dingus, you can just recognize the current bit of conversation isn't for you and move on.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

butt dickus posted:

Could it be different levels of humidity depending on where you live, and/or dry or moist hands?
Just saying that I have only dropped my current phone once in 4 years (nothing broke), due to having a non-slippery case, and just handling the brand new P7P, and as mentioned above, dropped it twice on the table.
I'm not a clumsy person and I treat my phone as a very expensive piece of fragile electronics, but I just don't dare walking around with phone that I pull out of my pocket and have to do a clown juggle to use every time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

butt dickus posted:

The fingerprint indent on the 5 was really shallow and a case helped make it more obvious, but I just used some super thin hard plastic one for that. Definitely preferred it without a case except for that one specific thing. The 6 slides off my leg if I'm sitting on the couch and rest it there, so it needs a case all times I'm not holding it lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I went caseless on me P5 a lot of the time, but I don't like doing it with glass phones, especially glossy phones. I actually don't like how glossy glass phones feel in the hand and I hate the fingerprints. Dbrand could alleviate that, but that much for a sticker that I would gently caress up putting on...

If I didn't have hard wood floors, I would probably go caseless more often.

Phones are weird. Some stuff will break them easily, some stuff doesn't. I had a slim case on my pixel 6 pro and it was even in a padded pouch (where I stash it when I'm going to toss it in my gym bag) and it slipped out of my pocket when I got out of my car and it managed to cause a tiny under-glass spider web in the corner. That happened in the 2nd week of ownership last year. It's super tiny and never progressed further, but it's there. It's also the reason I can't sell it on Swappa or trade it in since it TECHNICALLY has a cracked screen.

I went with Bellroy right out of the gate this time and I like the feel and it's pretty slim. I like the texture this year better than last year's Bellroy case. The grain is finer and it's more matte. I don't know if it's a difference in construction or just due to the color I got this year as I know the finishes can vary.

Often times I would go for the aramid fiber cases as they are super slim and feel good to grip and at least give token protection against scrapes and some types of drops.

Super bulky cases I can't stand, though I'll usually have something a little more beefy I'll slap on if circumstances dictate. If I'm traveling or going to an amusement park or something, I'll put something like that on the phone because I'll be in an uncontrolled environment with hard ground. Last thing I want is for someone in a crowd to clip my elbow as they are walking by and punt my phone into the concrete unprotected.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

sirbeefalot posted:

I have a dbrand leather skin on the back of my Pixel 5 and like it a lot. The P5 isn't super slippery to begin with, but it does provide basic scratch protection. The leather is also weathering nicely if you're into that look. I had one of the printed skins on my Pixel 3 that held up for a year+ without showing really any signs of wear, which was also impressive. They both stay stuck well if you take the time to apply them with a hair dryer and press the edges down.

Would you mind sending pics of the wear on that leather skin. I've been thinking about getting it (for my steam deck) but I really only see marketing pics.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

If people want a case, why do they need to explain their need to you? You don't have to be a myopic dingus, you can just recognize the current bit of conversation isn't for you and move on.
no, but imo they shouldn't be lying about it to scare others into buying things they don't need that also make using the device a worse experience. there are lots of complaints in here about the fingerprint reader as well and i would wager a good portion of those with problems are using unnecessary screen protectors

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I ordered two 7 Pros, and they arrived yesterday, but I still haven't received my $200 Google store credit, anyone else?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got my credit about 6 hours after they shipped.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Skwirl posted:

So in a move a couple years ago I lost my Samsung tablet, then when I moved again I found it, and it seems to work fine except it won't connect to the internet. It can connect to wifi networks, but can't get on the internet.

I assume it needs a firmware update, but all the places I find when I just google "Samsung firmware" seems sketchy as poo poo. What's a good place to get firmware updates for a tablet that can't connect to the internet? It's a galaxy tab a model SM-T510 if that matters, no cell connection, just wifi.

Is the system clock correct, that can also be an issue. (At least it has been for me in the past)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ragaduffin posted:

Is the system clock correct, that can also be an issue. (At least it has been for me in the past)

If the time is wrong, it will mistaken error that HTTPS Certs are invalid. TLS certs have a validity window that has a begin and end date. Meaning the cert is only valid between 2021-10-01 -> 2022-11-30. Devices that have been off for a while with a dead battery may think the system time is before the validity date and will not do any HTTPS connections. Including the connection to the hopefully https protected update server.

Try to browse to http://neverssl.com that's a site that don't have SSL. Obviously fix the system time, but that site is a cool little troubleshooting tool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Real world unblur example.

This a photo I took 18 years ago at the local auto show on a Kodak DCS3200 digital camera. This 1mp bad boy had a fixed 3.6 aperture so indoor photos even with a decent amount of light had relatively long shutter speeds. 1/6 in this case with obviously no sort of image stabalization.

Blurry is an understatement.

Here's what unblur did from Google Photos on my Pixel 7 Pro.

Still not what you would call a pretty picture, but I was really impressed with how much it was able to clean up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any good alternatives out there that work as a replacement for Youtube Vanced, which I guess is now discontinued? Mainly just want to stop seeing ads in youtube...

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

bull3964 posted:

I got my credit about 6 hours after they shipped.

I contacted Google, and apparently I'm not eligible because I ordered my Pixels through Google Fi and not the Google Store. loving bullshit.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any good alternatives out there that work as a replacement for Youtube Vanced, which I guess is now discontinued? Mainly just want to stop seeing ads in youtube...
youtube premium

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sneeing Emu posted:

I contacted Google, and apparently I'm not eligible because I ordered my Pixels through Google Fi and not the Google Store. loving bullshit.

What the gently caress?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

NewPipe
or
NewPipe + Sponserblock which will also skip in-video ads.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Revanced is out now, it's kind of more annoying to set up though. To keep themselves from getting dmca'd the Revanced manager is an apk patcher and you'll need to download the target YouTube apk and then use the manager to patch and build it on your phone. You'll also still need the vanced MicroG package from github.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

does (re)vanced do stuff that youtube premium doesn't? premium has been something i'm happy to pay for given it does music better than spotify

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nitrousoxide posted:

NewPipe + Sponserblock which will also skip in-video ads.

hot date tonight! posted:

Revanced is out now, it's kind of more annoying to set up though. To keep themselves from getting dmca'd the Revanced manager is an apk patcher and you'll need to download the target YouTube apk and then use the manager to patch and build it on your phone. You'll also still need the vanced MicroG package from github.

Thanks, I'll take a look at these.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

butt dickus posted:

youtube premium

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Uthor posted:

What the gently caress?

Yeah the Fi store is different than the Google Store apparently. Wankers.

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 14, 2022

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I normally don't use cases, but I did get a Spigen Liquid Air for this one. First impression is I like it. Phone is fairly big on its own (compared to my previous Nokia8) and the case doesn't add too much bulk. It's also quite grippy and it feels more secure, which I need since I got rid of my previous all-glass phone (Samsung S... some number) because it was waaay to fragile.

I hope this one is better. And add me to the "why the hell do phone companies design these fragile all-glass scratch magnets that 90% of people then lock up behind ugly cases to avoid them exploding into tiny pieces when you look at them funny" camp. It would make way more sense if they made them actually able to survive a day in the wild on their own.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Uthor posted:

What the gently caress?

Google Fi offer I think is just $100 off base price for either 7 Pro or regular 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Asked upthread no doubt, but what is the general timeline of getting the credit back for a trade-in? $325 to unload my 4a 5g for the 7 was too enticing to pass up.