Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Pipe dream prison to me would be a functional mental health institution. Evaluate prisoners for issues and try to treat those that can be, focused on rehabilitation rather than punishment. People, even mass murderers, are a product of their environment. It's a practical requirement that society isolate and monitor those who cannot safely be free, but the conditions that made them dangerous aren't necessarily permanent or their fault.

I fully admit that functional mental health institutions might be impossible and that this is impossible given our punishment obsessed criminal justice system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Lemme know again when mental health isn't fundamentally apologia for capitalism

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
a "mental health institution" that dangerous people cannot leave is a prison, regardless of how "functional" it is

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
okay well they did say "pipe dream prison" right at the start let's not be too harsh

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

okay well they did say "pipe dream prison" right at the start let's not be too harsh
based on the anarchists i've met, every dream is a pipe dream

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

cagliostr0 posted:

So you abolish prisons by keeping prisons running. Seems legit. Perhaps workshop your messaging since abolition doesn't mean reform.

we have to abolish the current prison system

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
I've given this some thought, and I realize that removing someone from society is always wrong. Tomorrow morning I'll be petitioning the court for Dylan Roof's immediate release into my custody.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

a "mental health institution" that dangerous people cannot leave is a prison, regardless of how "functional" it is

Yeah I agree with that, but in order to have a non-punitive prison system we would need to do something about the horrifically punitive one we have, which isn't happening in my lifetime or during the remaining time Western civilization has before poo poo gets wild.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah I agree with that, but in order to have a non-punitive prison system we would need to do something about the horrifically punitive one we have, which isn't happening in my lifetime or during the remaining time Western civilization has before poo poo gets wild.
keeping somebody locked away, regardless of the care, treatment, or quality of life, is always gonna be punitive because it fundamentally sucks regardless of the conditions of confinement. most crimes are motivated by purely material conditions, but some people do bad things on purpose and need to be punished for causing harm. anders brevik, for instance, should remain locked away from society until the end of his life regardless of his capacity to be "rehabilitated."

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
tenementfunster is right

synthesis or whatever: fair double jeopardy retrials for all the people accused of mass murders and stuff after the revolution

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TenementFunster posted:

Since we're doing this reductio, car seats are a child prison.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
please don't...

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

TenementFunster posted:

some people do bad things on purpose and need to be punished for causing harm.

Wrong and dumb

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Loucks posted:

Wrong and dumb

How so

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Think about animals. Muzzling a dog that can't stop biting isn't punishment, its just a necessity. If the dog can be trained not to bite, then (and only then) can the muzzle can come off. And then there are some truly dangerous dogs that must be euthanized. But even this is not a punishment...

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
nuzzling*

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It will always boil down to capitalism being awful so what's the point in arguing about gulags for white teenagers . Obviously that's a good idea but if that were possible we would live in a society that didn't breed insane white teenagers

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rwanda has people who've done worse things than the Parkland shooter, and they have confessed to their victims' families and now live as part of society. Reconciliation is possible, although very difficult, and it takes a huge effort to achieve successfully.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
ok but there was no civil war going on here. The guy went and got a gun and killed 17 kids for no comprehensible reason with no justification

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

a reduction of the prison system from the current 2 million people to the probably mid double digits number actually responsible for heinous antisocial crimes is functionally abolition. going from 5000 prisons to 1 is functionally abolition. get over yourselves.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what kind of dog would Elliot Rodgers be?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Oops, someone said prison abolition on a forum so now Democrats need to start publicly executing people for weed crimes so Republicans won't call them soft on crime.

This is your fault.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

ok but there was no civil war going on here. The guy went and got a gun and killed 17 kids for no comprehensible reason with no justification

it's absolutely comprehensible. you can see it online anytime you want, just head over to 4chan and read what they talk about (dont actually do that)

this is happening more and more because our current system has created an entire society completely alienated from any traditional social structures. support networks dont exist anymore and have been replaced with social media and online communities that, by design, bring out the absolute worst in humanity. its the same reason people are dropping like flies from drug overdoses

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean I havent been on 4chan since like 2007. Have they gotten to the point where they straight up chat about shooting up schools?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean I havent been on 4chan since like 2007. Have they gotten to the point where they straight up chat about shooting up schools?

more like lionizing the people that have than posting like explicit plans (although that has happened too), but yeah

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I wonder if the dumbass Japanese YouTuber who owns 2chan and 4chan is cognizant of how hosed up 4chan has become

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Chamale posted:

Rwanda has people who've done worse things than the Parkland shooter, and they have confessed to their victims' families and now live as part of society. Reconciliation is possible, although very difficult, and it takes a huge effort to achieve successfully.

yeah, fair. re-try after the revolution or whatever.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I wonder if the dumbass Japanese YouTuber who owns 2chan and 4chan is cognizant of how hosed up 4chan has become

Hiroyuki Nishimura bought 4chan but lost 2chan and the ownership of 2chan is still disputed. by, uh, Jim Watkins. the 8chan guy

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

mark immune posted:

what does a non jail/gulag solution for serial rapists or mass murderers look like? has this experiment been tried in the past, and if so how did it go? tbh my first instinct is that it is a very stupid idea.

To be honest I feel like prison is sort of the worst possible solution for most crimes. Either have a robust and well funded restorative justice and rehabilitation framework or have public beheadings in the main square.

Don't give me this nonsense about creating an entire industry to spend a gazillion dollars just to keep people miserable and out of sight for their entire lives. It's just too cruel and pointless.

E: and also ineffective as a deterrent

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yes the capitcalist carceral system is bad

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah, fair. re-try after the revolution or whatever.

Hiroyuki Nishimura bought 4chan but lost 2chan and the ownership of 2chan is still disputed. by, uh, Jim Watkins. the 8chan guy

from what I remember isn’t 2chan just as hosed up?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I guess it's possible that 2ch is just as bad but I've never spent any time reading it besides a few of those websites where they collect posts on a certain topic

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TenementFunster posted:

most crimes are motivated by purely material conditions, but some people do bad things on purpose and need to be punished for causing harm.

lmao lib hearts can't be tamed. victorian hearts

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

DrManiac posted:

from what I remember isn’t 2chan just as hosed up?

most of 2ch is significantly less hosed up than something awful is. some of it is hosed up. the monthly users is like 10% of the population of japan. it also has crime announcements and harbors reactionaries (and probably does a lot more now than before Watkins yoinked it) but it's way more like reddit than 4chan. normal people use it. it's mainstream. it will have the same caliber of hosed up stuff but the hosed up stuff doesn't make up as high a percentage as 4chan let alone the yikesier ones.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Leroy Diplowski posted:

To be honest I feel like prison is sort of the worst possible solution for most crimes. Either have a robust and well funded restorative justice and rehabilitation framework or have public beheadings in the main square.

Don't give me this nonsense about creating an entire industry to spend a gazillion dollars just to keep people miserable and out of sight for their entire lives. It's just too cruel and pointless.

E: and also ineffective as a deterrent

Hell yeah, death penalty.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
I too read discipline and punish

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BONGHITZ posted:

Elliot Rodgers

Dylann Roof and Elliot Rodger went to a lot of trouble to commit heinous crimes, please show your appreciation by spelling their names correctly

this isn't the trump thread

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Landlords who post on TikTok are the only people worthy of the death penalty.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
Dylann Roof Bader Ginsburg

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Dylann Roof Bader Ginsburg

portmanteaux are fair game

puns as well, but again this isn't the trump thread where puns are guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Filthy Hans posted:

portmanteaux are fair game

puns as well, but again this isn't the trump thread where puns are guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser