Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I have a savings account with a credit union and while the actual account and institution itself is great, their app sucks hard. It’s clunky and takes forever to load sometimes but everything else is good so I’m just going to put up with it I guess :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

HOLY gently caress posted:

I have a savings account with a credit union and while the actual account and institution itself is great, their app sucks hard. It’s clunky and takes forever to load sometimes but everything else is good so I’m just going to put up with it I guess :smith:

The credit union curse

The closest thing to an ethical financial institution, but they universally use terrible/ancient software

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I just switched to a credit union and whyyyyyy does paying off my credit card take like 3 days

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Because it's being processed by a 94 year old man that has his secretary print out his emails so he can read them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hirayuki posted:

I'm tired of my goddamn phone filling up with who knows what deep in the bowels of inaccessible system folders. I can't get in there to see what's taking up all the space, so I can't do anything to keep it from happening, and all the usual tricks for cleaning up your phone don't work. I don't want to root it (if that's even possible) and gently caress with Knox. The OS itself and space-sniffer apps show nothing amiss, then turn around and say "Hey, you better do something about this lack of disk space." The only thing that works is a wipe and restore, which buys me 11 months.

Possibly related to this (a cache/buffer issue?): WHY does my music app just quit after playing a few seconds of a song?? And WHY is it fine when I reopen it and play the song again?

I need a new phone. :mad:
It's by design. They gradually make your phone run like poo poo so you have to buy a new one that doesn't do anything your old one didn't do. It wouldn't even do it better than your old phone, if your old phone still worked like it did when you first got it. But you can't make your old phone work properly again, because all the apps are required to update to the new versions that weren't designed to work on your phone and make it run like poo poo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Killingyouguy! posted:

I just switched to a credit union and whyyyyyy does paying off my credit card take like 3 days

Paying off my CC bills always takes a shitload of time too, and I just assumed that everything involving CCs was slow as hell so that you'd be more likely to forget stuff & run up more interest or something

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

It's by design. They gradually make your phone run like poo poo so you have to buy a new one that doesn't do anything your old one didn't do. It wouldn't even do it better than your old phone, if your old phone still worked like it did when you first got it. But you can't make your old phone work properly again, because all the apps are required to update to the new versions that weren't designed to work on your phone and make it run like poo poo.
This is absolutely what happened to my last tablet, which was a lot older than my phone. I just started having apps say, "Look, we literally cannot update on this device." But even that never ran out of room. :(

The kicker is that my provider no longer accepts my particular model of phone (with this capacity) for trade-in. They did as recently as last week. "But we'll absolutely mention this to our team," they assured me. UGH

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My work computer defaults to printing in black & white, I print massive submittals to our client that are required to be in color.

If I change the defaults in the pdf program or even in the printer settings, they get reset again from group policy or something every time the computer restarts.

I have lost count of how many printouts I have had to junk as a result of this bs.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I know you think that everyone will love your decorated cookies, but basic store-bought buttercream on a plain, dry sugar cookie is a terrible dessert. It tastes like generic sweet with a hint of flour

Probably worse than nothing at all

Everyone hates these cookies

A non-zero number of people will spit their first bite out, guaranteed

Don't make these or at least make them interesting

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

I know you think that everyone will love your decorated cookies, but basic store-bought buttercream on a plain, dry sugar cookie is a terrible dessert. It tastes like generic sweet with a hint of flour

gently caress you I love those and will die for them on this hill

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cool please eat all of them in the world from now on

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Cool please eat all of them in the world from now on

Candy corn too, please. Take it all.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Arrath posted:

Candy corn too, please. Take it all.

I do in fact love candy corn so yes I will thank you

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Halloween candy pet peeves are coming. Brace yourselves. :ohdear:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Goons when faced with a candy they dislike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX5sDIAVXDE

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My internet is poo poo tonight.

Intermittently poo poo. I can stream some episodes of frontline just fine, but websites occasionally won't load or will take forever. Destiny 2 is contacting its servers every minute or so. But I can stream video just fine.

I want to play games, dammit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Killingyouguy! posted:

More evidence of your wanton deviancy. Send the food heretic to Bastille.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Manager Hoyden posted:

They look perfect and beautiful but they taste like someone made them with sweetened Play-Doh. The icing is hard and chalky, and the cookie overwhelmingly tastes of butter extract.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Killingyouguy! posted:

I prefer the pumpkin shaped ones to the candy corn, but I love both. I will join you on the candy corn hill. You can keep the store-bought sugar cookies though, sorry.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I really thought I hated the mallow pumpkins but then they were my daughter's favorite in the pack and it really caused me to reevaluate them. Turns out, they're good.

Edit: Googling an unusual phrase you see in a document only for the results to all be that document.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Oct 9, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My phone is just acting like I have no internet connection. I'm sitting next to my router, which is working. I couldn't be more close to working internet, I'm bathed in its radiation, let me look at stupid gifs

Goddamn it, sitting in my house using my data connection, this is bullshit. Why can't things just work?

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Oct 11, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

My phone is just acting like I have no internet connection. I'm sitting next to my router, which is working. I couldn't be more close to working internet, I'm bathed in its radiation, let me look at stupid gifs

Goddamn it, sitting in my house using my data connection, this is bullshit. Why can't things just work?

If you haven't, try rebooting the phone. I had one that would randomly refuse to connect to wifi til it rebooted, and my current phone does that occasionally but with Bluetooth.

Phones kinda suck lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I actually managed to "fix" it. Not sure how or why, but it's working again for now. Thanks for letting me vent!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Arrath posted:

My work computer defaults to printing in black & white, I print massive submittals to our client that are required to be in color.

If I change the defaults in the pdf program or even in the printer settings, they get reset again from group policy or something every time the computer restarts.

I have lost count of how many printouts I have had to junk as a result of this bs.

Work printers that default to double-sided.

I am usually good at checking, but occasionally print out some drawings to compare side-by-side, only to have them come out double-sided and need to reprint

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

How much of my local history turns out to be this thought process: "here's a lovely creek and a couple nice ponds, so all the sewer runoff from several main roads should have their flow directed here. And also, saleratus plants, why not? Oh no, it's disgusting now! If we change the name from "creek" to "sewer" though we're all golden. Yep, all good. Okay, let's just put some dirt over that now and have empty lots for a century."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will never put something in my cart just to see the price. NEVER

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It really bothers me how many calories fitness trackers say I'm burning. All of them, just sitting there lying to me with a straight (clock) face. I'm not even counting calories or anything, I just feel like someone out there is trying to trick me and I don't appreciate it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

It really bothers me how many calories fitness trackers say I'm burning. All of them, just sitting there lying to me with a straight (clock) face. I'm not even counting calories or anything, I just feel like someone out there is trying to trick me and I don't appreciate it

Conversely, I choose to believe that my bike's calorie counter is underestimating things.

:colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't really know how accurate my diet and fitness app is over all, but keeping track of my food and exercise with it helped me lose 20 kg and get me back from the obese category into the recommended weight range, so it's good enough. :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I always assume the trackers overestimate. I don't have a real fitness tracker, I just tell my phone I'm walking/jogging/disc golfing (not actually an option, I have to choose regular golf) and it just seems unlikely that I really burned like 600 calories walking in the woods for a couple hours?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I always assume the trackers overestimate. I don't have a real fitness tracker, I just tell my phone I'm walking/jogging/disc golfing (not actually an option, I have to choose regular golf) and it just seems unlikely that I really burned like 600 calories walking in the woods for a couple hours?

You'd be surprised, although 1) it does assume that you're walking continuously at a determined rate and 2) those figures have your basal metabolic rate built in so 30-50% of that is what you would be burning anyhow.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DrBouvenstein posted:

No, that sounds about right. Its really not hard to burn calories if you make the slightest effort, the real trick is realizing there are calories in condiments and no one ever counts them

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

On the other hand, 20 minutes of reasonable exertion on my recumbent bike definitely burns more than 60 calories. :mad:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

On the other hand, 20 minutes of reasonable exertion on my recumbent bike definitely burns more than 60 calories. :mad:

That does seem low. But on the other hand, 20 minutes is a pretty short time and maybe you're riding slow as well?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

That does seem low. But on the other hand, 20 minutes is a pretty short time and maybe you're riding slow as well?
The bike also doesn't know how much I weigh...and the heart-rate-measuring grips say my heart rate is at 56 BPM during the most strenuous part of the program. Then they say it's 125 BPM. So: entirely unreliable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also most calorie indicators aren't speaking in actual calories but kilocalories, so that might be skewing things. At least I think that's the case.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Also most calorie indicators aren't speaking in actual calories but kilocalories, so that might be skewing things. At least I think that's the case.

You'd definitely know if your numbers were 1,000 times smaller than they should be.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

You'd definitely know if your numbers were 1,000 times smaller than they should be.
As much as I'd like it to be true, I'm certain I'm not burning 60,000 calories in those 20 minutes. Can you imagine? Hot drat!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Hirayuki posted:

As much as I'd like it to be true, I'm certain I'm not burning 60,000 calories in those 20 minutes. Can you imagine? Hot drat!

Probably should check to see if you accidentally turned the gravity up. It happens more often than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's the worst. Remember when Calvin's dad forgot to pay the gravity bill?