Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

wait, hisoka came back from the dead with nen? why did i not remember this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

wait, hisoka came back from the dead with nen? why did i not remember this

Your mind has the properties of rubber but not gum

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

I think it works best as a continuation of the theme that nen becomes stronger after death, and also if you are completely insane. But yeah, not a huge fan of the way it played out.

I agree, It's clear that Togashi had been hinting how Nen explains a plethora of known 'supernatural' stuff, in this case with Nen of dead users being a thing, he explains the 'curses beyond the grave' phenomena. In fact I think it was his original example in the YorkShin Arc, how nen can persists after death if there are powerful feelings, etc. This concept didn't appear again until Pitou coming back with her ability, and now in the Boat Arc it seems to me he wants to explore it more fully. That's why Hisoka revives, the concept is used in one of the new Chrollo's power, and again with one of the sisters Princes, I don't remember the name. And I remember now how one of the latest chapters comments how a faction had a powerful 'nen power as curse after death'. I'm sure more will appear.

Also, Togashi had the decency to set it up, explaining how Hisoka really died asphyxiated, not blown up in the explosion, so he really could come back to life with CPR.

Speaking of..

351-357: The Fight

I will treat it as a single thing, instead of going chapter by chapter.

-Lots has been written about this fight. First, because it was highly desired and expected by the fans, we waited many years for it. Second, because the high complexity of the fight made it hard to grasp so there was lots to discuss.

-Chrollo's bookmark is pretty OP. Two stolen powers instead of one, OR not having to have the book out to use a power. He mentions how it has some annoying conditions, but from what we have seen, it could be the usual and convenient 'I have to explain it to my opponent'.

-Chrollo strategy for the fight reminds me of deckbuilding roguelike games. In them, usually it isn't about what power gives card A, or B in your possession, or if you get a new better card C, the important thing is the combination of with them, it's about finding broken OP combos. Togashi is so much a gamer.

-In general, Chrollo's owns Hisoka in this battle. Then again, it was a battle, not a fair 1vs1 fight. That was Hisoka's big mistake, not recognizing Chrollo wasn't like him and he wasn't interesting in the fight, he just wanted to kill him to be done with it. Hell he even gives him an opportunity to back up here

Thinking about it, he also chose a set of powers which is a good counter against Hisoka who uses the cards as small knives (puppets have to have their entire head removed to 'die')

My pet theory is that he had help of the other Spiders hidden in the public. The main reason to believe that is, Hisoka is at a high enough level as a nen user and fighter in general that his estimations of what Chrollo should be able to do with the abilities (abilities he knew from before too!, from the time he was in the Phantom Troupe) should be good enough, but Chrollo surpass the estimations by a lot. After understanding all the abilities, he estimated 10-20 puppets remaining and a new one every 2 seconds... then around 150 people attack. That's why I think that the other Spiders were collaborating, while Chrollo used powers A and B (like Sun & Moon and Order Stamp) while Kortopi was creating clones and Shalnark was using the phone, sharing the load of work. Even there is a moment that Hisoka comments how the atennas from Shalnark's phone disappeared, and he thinks 'recovered with a fishing line or something?'. It was a weird line of dialog because it was a plot thread (no pun intended) that wasn't followed up, just left there. And who have a thread ability and reappears as being in the location just after the fight? Machi. She could have been recovering the antennas for his boss.

Or if not, the other theory is that of the audience was planted since before the fight, they were already clones with the explosive seal put, which is why:

-I found this part silly:

Why the puppets gain supernatural speed to climb like that in people in the air? Even more, in this reread I remembered how Chrollo specifies he can only give general orders to them, not control them directly, so it isn't like he could coordinate them to form some 'human stairs'.

However in a later moment we see Chrollo is smartly controlling one or two people with the phone while the zombies do their thing, that's the best of the two worlds.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Doesn't Hisoka going after Kortopi and then Shalnark right after resurrecting and saying that he should control the situation with his opponents confirm that they had were involved with the fight?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Killing them removes their powers from chrollo's book.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not fully, it can be argued he did it to remove those skills from Chrollo's repertoire in future fights, as the normal thing is for the skill to disappear when the original owner dies (sun & moon was the exception).

Edit: sniped

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eh, he killed the two Spiders because he said like 5 pages ago that he was going to kill all the Spiders. Every thing else is a happy coincidence.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

oh jay posted:

Eh, he killed the two Spiders because he said like 5 pages ago that he was going to kill all the Spiders. Every thing else is a happy coincidence.

This is my read. They were nearby because they had their powers on loan to Chrollo and he's usually accompanied by a couple of the Troupe in general. But during the actual fight it's clear Chrollo never returned their abilities, Hisoka just misread how fast Chrollo could work as well as not appreciating the caveat that Sun and Moon added to his estimates.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chrollo for sure pre stacked the audience.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, definitely.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

My two theories aren't in opposition, now that I think about, so it could well be both. A bit of column A, a bit of column B is the most probable answer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

-I found this part silly:

Why the puppets gain supernatural speed to climb like that in people in the air? Even more, in this reread I remembered how Chrollo specifies he can only give general orders to them, not control them directly, so it isn't like he could coordinate them to form some 'human stairs'.

However in a later moment we see Chrollo is smartly controlling one or two people with the phone while the zombies do their thing, that's the best of the two worlds.

it's not a human staircase. it's a bunch of superhuman drones all leaping into the air at the same target, but hisoka could jump higher. as for the antenna, hisoka speculated that maybe chrollo retrieved them with wires and we never saw different. that detail didn't end up mattering much, so hisoka was probably right. chrollo definitely cheated by stacking the crowd, but he didn't get any outside help.

also, despite how hisoka was being pointlessly dramatic (like always) by talking to his nen, he used the post-mortem curse properties of nen to give himself a time delayed heart massage. it's a pretty mundane result achieved via decidedly supernatural means.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chrollo ended up losing both of those antennae after the fight so in the end it doesn't matter

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I can't remember the prince's name, but the psychopath, the one who can do the 10-second instant time bullshit - I wonder if Chrollo is going to try and steal that ability. That's the kind of thing I feel like he would be all over if he learned about it. Given all the moving parts of the succession war, I can't imagine the Spiders won't be involved in at least some significant way in how it plays out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kurapika is going to use a convoluted 8 step process with his dolphin chain in order to use chrollo's skill hunter to steal skill hunter

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man , I somehow had forgotten about the freaking dolphin. It even gets a volume cover!

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, despite how hisoka was being pointlessly dramatic (like always) by talking to his nen, he used the post-mortem curse properties of nen to give himself a time delayed heart massage. it's a pretty mundane result achieved via decidedly supernatural means.

Hisoka restarting his heart using nen is fine , the thing that kinda bothers me is that he should have a lot of brain damage due to being dead for hours. His face being ultra hosed only makes up for that a little.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We only saw him revived for like ten pages, maybe he’s really stupid now

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his personality and goals are very different. normally he'd never kill people with an ambush, much less while they are weakened. whether that is due to the traumatic experience or the brain damage is unclear. and yeah, we haven't seen hisoka in what, 6, 7 years?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I assumed machi was helping chrollo with that ‘fishing line’ thing hisoka brought up randomly

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

Hisoka restarting his heart using nen is fine , the thing that kinda bothers me is that he should have a lot of brain damage due to being dead for hours.

There have been rare cases of people IRL avoiding brain damage with clinical death for a few hours - admittedly, they were children falling into extremely cold water and drowning, which triggered the mammalian diving reflex and massively reduced oxygen requirements in the time before revival.

Given that nen makes you superhuman, and the cause of death, hisoka's cpr is on the edge of plausiblity imo.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 14, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lucas Archer posted:

I can't remember the prince's name, but the psychopath, the one who can do the 10-second instant time bullshit - I wonder if Chrollo is going to try and steal that ability. That's the kind of thing I feel like he would be all over if he learned about it. Given all the moving parts of the succession war, I can't imagine the Spiders won't be involved in at least some significant way in how it plays out.

Tserriednich, frequently just called Tserried by his soldiers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If we want Hisoka to win, I think he should learn somehow that Kurapica is in the boat. Maybe through Leorio who is on the lower decks? Then the play is obvious, involve Kurapica in his game with the Spider and use that as an opening to attack.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Turin Turambar posted:

If we want Hisoka to win, I think he should learn somehow that Kurapica is in the boat. Maybe through Leorio who is on the lower decks? Then the play is obvious, involve Kurapica in his game with the Spider and use that as an opening to attack.

I still think kurapika and hisoka both help each other out, kurapika yanks feitan at a pivotal moment and then hisoka glues tse’s eyes shut or some poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tse's minions bring in hisokas as his next victim, and Tse get entranced looking at hisoka's great tattoo and trying to figure out how to remove the skin so he can hang it on his wall.

But it isnt a tattoo, it's texture surprise, and when Tse touches the skin to prepare for the first incision, his hands get stuck, because Hisoka's Nen has the properties of rubber and gum.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

skipmyseashells posted:

I still think kurapika and hisoka both help each other out, kurapika yanks feitan at a pivotal moment and then hisoka glues tse’s eyes shut or some poo poo

Feitan being taken out would be good overall for the safety of the boat. His ability is super dangerous just for how much collateral damage it can do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kurapika lost his taste for killing spiders already. i don't think hisoka would choose kurapika as an ally now no matter how hosed up his brain is. a decoy or distraction, though? he's perfect for that. however, right now the succession battle is sealed off and inaccessible to the rest of the ship. so it doesn't matter that kurapika and the spiders are on a boat together. presumably this will change when (or if) the arc gets that far.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kurapika lost his taste for killing spiders already. i don't think hisoka would choose kurapika as an ally now no matter how hosed up his brain is. a decoy or distraction, though? he's perfect for that. however, right now the succession battle is sealed off and inaccessible to the rest of the ship. so it doesn't matter that kurapika and the spiders are on a boat together. presumably this will change when (or if) the arc gets that far.

Let's remember Kurapica let go the Spiders vendetta thing because a reason, or reasons: 1) he sealed the Nen of the boss, 2) he made him not able to interact with the rest of the members, and 3) he believed the group would lose integrity without the boss around, that the spider would die 'without the head'.

Now we know 3) was a bad guess, and 1) and 2) were nullified. They are now exactly as the old Spiders, reunified, just as before he fought them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
No, he realized even back then that it was just a temporary solution. There's a scene in the middle of Greed Island where Gon and Killua call him to let him know about nen exorcists being able to undo the chains and he was like "yes? obviously?" He gave up on his vendetta simply because he realized that there was no easy to way to kill the spider, so he decided to focus on the eyes first.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think the presence of the Spiderd on the boat would still gently caress Kurapika up. Even if he’s given up on hunting them down and eradicating them, they’re still the ones that killed his clan. I don’t see him backing down from a confrontation with them.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

hatty posted:

We only saw him revived for like ten pages, maybe he’s really stupid now

I’ll admit I kinda want this. Maybe not totally dumb, just not all there. Or less there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think the presence of the Spiderd on the boat would still gently caress Kurapika up. Even if he’s given up on hunting them down and eradicating them, they’re still the ones that killed his clan. I don’t see him backing down from a confrontation with them.

I mean it will definitely piss him off, it's not like he ever stopped caring.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
originally kurapika was going to kill a majority of them in york new before dying himself, but the prophecy power chrollo stole prevented that outcome. so instead of a single brief, bloody battle he had time to lose his nerve and decide that his secondary goal was the important one. the dude didn't base his nen restrictions on collecting eyeballs, but here he is doing absolutely anything other than hunting spiders. as soon as the spiders get around to it, he's the one being hunted. even without the incredibly dumb steal chain shenanigans, kurapika's days are numbered. kurapika is likely fully aware of this. unless, of course, he instead went to the dark continent to face unspeakable dangers and opportunities. the manga ain't getting that far, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

I stick to my theory that the battle between Morena's goons, the mafia, and the spiders will wind up luring Tserriednich down to the lower decks and one of them will actually off him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Lucas Archer posted:

Maybe that guy's former bodyguard, the woman who tried to kill him, will hire Chrollo to do that just.

On a different note, was one of the rules of the succession war that none of the princes can leave the ship until they reach the Dark Continent? When they reach the fake Dark Continent, I wonder how many will die when they try to leave the boat.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
every 5 chapters some character brings up the black whale blowing up or devolving to a bloodbath, no way the war isn’t finished by then

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe that guy's former bodyguard, the woman who tried to kill him, will hire Chrollo to do that just.

On a different note, was one of the rules of the succession war that none of the princes can leave the ship until they reach the Dark Continent? When they reach the fake Dark Continent, I wonder how many will die when they try to leave the boat.

She’s still his bodyguard he did not fire her or anything and he’s actually fond of her now.

The Kakin Royalty was never going to the real Dark Continent. There was no destination based end point.

Also all of them would know not to leave the Boat. Kacho knew instinctively that she and her sister would die if they continued down the tunnel which is why she helped her sister back though she was too slow herself. Also I am glad that despite her death Kacho will stick around as her Nen Beast.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
10 days, maybe 7 with speedscans.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I hadn't noticed the third Prince was THAT small

A very intro chapter in any case, with several pages dedicated to the boat departing and the Prince entering, and explanations of how the different decks in the boat work and the corridors are watched by the neural military, Cow explaining the situation is hosed in the lower decks, etc. I liked this 'snipe' about wealthy doctors:

A more dense chapter. Still more setup, with mentiosn of meeting with Morel and Knov later (and when I say later, I mean after the current arc).
...and the first kill of the Arc is here, Woody. And 4 more in a few more pages. In a way the killing starts super early, they literally hadn't finished unpacking boxes on the room when someone dies already. There is an interesting confusion, with Kurapica checking who knows about Nen and noticing finally that other guards don't know about the 'Battle Royale', the experienced guards believed at first it was some inner struggle within the military ranks and they shouldn't interfere.

The queens spy system is revealed, but with a twist, the guards are really guards (and not assassins) who didn't really believe the succession war was 'for real'. Together some facts pertaining the Succession War, about how the killings have to be silent and well planned, as the justice system still applies.
Finally, two more dead guards, thanks to the first hostile action done by a guardian beast. I had already forgotten the 'are you free?' lil' beast.

Dolphin chain! The flashback from Kurapica is interesting, his mentor tried to warn him he will need allies in combat, because how powerful are synergistic nen abilities, and what Kurapica does? What he did was to create the final chain with the power of borrowing abilities. Talking of missing the point.
There was some friction with the guard Bill in the last two chapters, he wasn't a bro from the start.
We also see how one of the Queens diverted guards from Momoze to Marayam. That will have... consequences, maybe she was 'on it'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Time to start up the Princebowl again.

Who'll be the next to die? Place your bets, dear viewers.