Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We’re at a point where the current Simpsons writers grew up watching the show. Some are young enough to have been born after the show stopped being good.

They’ve been doing throwbacks and sequels to Golden era episodes (Pin Pals). They’ve been putting memes in episodes (Homer using the gif of him backing into the bush). And now it looks like a new version of 22 Short Films? (Steamed Hams was the biggest meme of 2019, right before covid set the world’s kitchen on fire.)

They’re clearly aware that people love The Simpsons. And they know people love The Golden Era. They just haven’t put together that people specifically love the Golden Era and that the show’s been bad the last ~fifteen years.

No amount of throwbacks and sequel episodes are going to bring that spark back. They really ought to end the show. It doesn’t have any dignity left. And yet they keep trying to wring more out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

je1 healthcare posted:

All of my knowledge of golden-age hollywood celebs comes from Merry Melodies impersonations

Finding out that Peter Lorre was an actual person was a loving trip

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Codenamegamma/status/1579292616612806657

All the voices sound like bad impressions

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah definitely still in the early stage when the writers have mentioned they weren’t consistent about what Krusty’s show was or his level of celebrity. I think in the episode with his dad he’s living in an apt and cleaning his own shower, not many eps later would have a mansion & airplane.

the mansion and airplane belonged to Rory B Bellows, sorry

Mr Interweb posted:

i can't believe frank welker is still alive

I think of Frank Welker and the first thing that comes to mind is We Hate Movies saying "if you printed his IMDB page at work you'd be fired"

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

pretty ambitious to try this bit at a point when Julie Kavner can only make honking noises

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

What if 22 Films of Springfield was really unfunny?

E:

they called you out! they know!

Haha, oh noes, I think I missed that one, probably browsing on my phone.

It wasn't altogether too bad, but the overarching Anonymous parody story was really lame though. It might've come off better if they played it straight with no voice over intros or at least not actually show the hackers on screen.

I didn't laugh too much, but I think I realized that at least for me, a big part of the issue really is that it's been running for too long. Like even if they had legitimately good jokes, it's hard to dissociate from how stale and dragged out the show and its characters feel at its core.

Detective No. 27 posted:

We’re at a point where the current Simpsons writers grew up watching the show. Some are young enough to have been born after the show stopped being good.

They’ve been doing throwbacks and sequels to Golden era episodes (Pin Pals). They’ve been putting memes in episodes (Homer using the gif of him backing into the bush). And now it looks like a new version of 22 Short Films? (Steamed Hams was the biggest meme of 2019, right before covid set the world’s kitchen on fire.)

They’re clearly aware that people love The Simpsons. And they know people love The Golden Era. They just haven’t put together that people specifically love the Golden Era and that the show’s been bad the last ~fifteen years.

No amount of throwbacks and sequel episodes are going to bring that spark back. They really ought to end the show. It doesn’t have any dignity left. And yet they keep trying to wring more out of it.

Not that it matters anymore, but if say, the show had stopped at season 11 or 12 and been brought back a few years ago as a reboot or something, it would likely have had a good chance at being reasonably funny even with the current writing group you mention.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

God drat it! I knew they were lurking! I loving knew it! Listen, Fox. You took my "He's been in a comma since the beer explosion" idea. Just changing it slightly does NOT make this legally okay. Starting right now, when I changed the laws slightly in my favor. I want compensation! :livintrope:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/nanglish/status/1579271623747596288?s=46&t=UJHgYfBQiEwp_jEEieywWg

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, that one is pretty funny.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

This would be an ok idea if it wasn’t for Marge’s voice. That thing is a war crime.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Julie Kavner should take the James Earl Jones approach and just give them permission to AI her voice from this point forward.

She sounds so rough :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

This would have been an awesome ending. Unrelatedly, Julie Kavner sounds like she's trying to talk with a literal rock wedged in her throat. Apparently her voice has been described as "honeyed gravel" -- I think the honey has dissolved by now.

Oh man, this might actually get me to watch The Simpsons.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Lmao I missed the Martin Prince tweet. That’s actually kinda cool, I guess? I mean if the show’s been on this long, go for broke, I say.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just more mutilating the corpse

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

YeahTubaMike posted:

Unrelatedly, Julie Kavner sounds like she's trying to talk with a literal rock wedged in her throat. Apparently her voice has been described as "honeyed gravel" -- I think the honey has dissolved by now.

It's been said before but she now sounds like the voice she did for when Marge's mom had laryngitis.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one has a framing device of an Anonymous-style anarchist collective taking over the show to show unaired footage to destroy the value of the IP with show-destroying scenes.

The framing device parts are terrible, but the skits are OK. Some notable ones:

- Future Bart goes back in time to the pilot to give them news from the future that they can blow everyone's minds by predicting.
- Martin Prince is a 36-year-old cop undercover
- Lenny is a figment of Carl's imagination
- The whole show was a coma dream Homer had after falling into Springfield Gorge

It's generally not as good as it could have been. Good idea, meh execution.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean if what your'e saying is that the episode's gimmick is to explain that the reason the Simpsons got terrible is that it's all a bad dream or drug-induced hallucination we've been having since 1991,

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I recognized Selman & Nangle as two Doughboys guests who show up too much to make skippable episodes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I can't believe they'd sink *this* low... they really made Martin straight?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Soon I’ll be queen of 21 jump street.

Er, king. KING!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

The new one has a framing device of an Anonymous-style anarchist collective taking over the show to show unaired footage to destroy the value of the IP with show-destroying scenes.

- Future Bart goes back in time to the pilot to give them news from the future that they can blow everyone's minds by predicting.
- Martin Prince is a 36-year-old cop undercover
- Lenny is a figment of Carl's imagination
- The whole show was a coma dream Homer had after falling into Springfield Gorge

It's generally not as good as it could have been. Good idea, meh execution.

I think the framing actually took away from how funny some of the segments could've been. It was really really bad. Heck, they should've just done it as a V/HS parody for Halloween or something. Anything would've been better.

The problem being that like much of modern Simpsons, they overly explained the zaniness of the proceeding clips instead of letting them stand on their own.

And yeah the coma segment would actually have been a great way to end the episode/series.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

I think the framing actually took away from how funny some of the segments could've been. It was really really bad. Heck, they should've just done it as a V/HS parody for Halloween or something. Anything would've been better.

The problem being that like much of modern Simpsons, they overly explained the zaniness of the proceeding clips instead of letting them stand on their own.

And yeah the coma segment would actually have been a great way to end the episode/series.

The framing bit was bizarre, he repeated the line about 20 million bitcoin or whatever twice, I guess the fact that he was mentioning bitcoin was supposed to be the joke in itself because I didn’t hear any.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

PostNouveau posted:

There was another episode recently where Homer talked about some cartoon show that can predict the future, Disney+ even has a section on there now for the episodes of Simpsons that predicted whatever.

It's loving weird. Especially since from what I've seen the majority of these predictions are actually things being photoshopped and passed around twitter, like Bart's Osaka flu being changed to the corona virus, and more recently some one put a screenshot of Queen Elizabeth into homer's coffin and stuck the exact date on the wall behind her.

In all seriousness though, There's the Trump Joke (which cannonically is mentioned by Lisa in 2030 so hold onto your hats next election! simpsons predicted it!) . and a $9 next to a silhouette of the twin towers on an advertisement about cheap bus tickets to New York. what else has the simpsons """"""""predicted"""""""?

edit: I decided to google it!.. good lord why did I google it.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 11, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This prediction still holds up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgI2YAupCM

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Marge did become a robot

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

This doesn’t match the old animation at all. You can easily tell it’s not hand drawn and the colors are all off. If anything it looks like something from like season 12

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol They are just mutilating the corpse at this point

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71s5CPlL9Sk

This is my second favorite Simpsons arcade game. You can download here: https://macaw45.itch.io/kevin-costners-waterworld?ac=qfCyYFQF-yt

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

still prettier than the real thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfRf9eSvMrk

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hate to say it, but recreating a working Waterworld arcade game ruins the joke about the Waterworld arcade game.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Did they actually do a Roblox episode?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Soon I’ll be queen of 21 jump street.

Er, king. KING!

They should've made Martin trans.

Well OK, they shouldn't now, because they should have stopped making it by now

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

They should've made Martin trans.

Well OK, they shouldn't now, because they should have stopped making it by now

There's a future episode where Lisa goes through her Facebook and sees "Marsha Princess." I think the last name was Princess. I might be giving them ideas again.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
OK thats really poo poo. what was I thinking

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

At least you took a line and expanded on it

I'm almost postive their only thought was "what if prince became princess lol"

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Tbh if it had just been Marsha Prince it would've been fine probably

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Should be Martha so it could be a shameless reference to better days

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Did they actually do a Roblox episode?

No, but the Roblox DOES have "Find The Simpsons!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3cFR_IHwzw

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm old and don't understand Roblox.
But also don't explain it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Das Boo posted:

I'm old and don't understand Roblox.
But also don't explain it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ

If there's one thing you should know about it, it's this.