Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Everybody says that Old World Blues is a real ballbuster at higher levels, but I forgot just how bad it was. I have high Unarmed with Love and Hate and the perk that pierces through 10 DT with Unarmed attacks, so I'm fine on that front, but my armor keeps getting shredded and I've spent all my saved up caps on repairing it. I'll need all the carry capacity I can spare to bring high-priced gear back to sell.

Also, why is the OWB the only piece of content where Cherchez La Femmes is consistently useful? I've never found an opportunity to use it in the main game yet, and it kinda freaks me out that it works on Dala and a light switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Janissary Hop posted:

I don't think I've ever reported back to Doc Mitchell for anything but certain quests. You can heal broken limbs by jamming a stim into them, not that there's a shortage of doctor bags / hydra lying around the floor everywhere on top of it.

Stimpaks and sleep only cure broken limbs if you're playing vanilla. On hardcore mode you need a doctor's bag, a few other items like hydra, or a visit to a doctor. After Doc Mitchell, there's no doctor available until Novac.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You can find enough Hydra to get by, usually. It's so much better than Doctor's Bags - heals much more, and doesn't weigh anything.

Also, I learned that on Hardcore, different food items will all heal you simultaneously, much faster than stimpaks. When I get badly damaged, I open the menu and eat ten different things and start healing 50 points a second.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Old World Blues would be the perfect New Vegas DLC. . .if not for the constant, seemingly endless fighting you wind up doing in the open world. Seriously, it's like there's always something coming after you, and you rarely have a chance to catch your breath. Honest Hearts was a lot better at giving you downtime to chill and explore at your own pace.

I got Jury Rigging and my repair woes are mostly solved as long as I can find Light Armor, since I'm using some of the DLC suits that are difficult to repair in the field otherwise. Such an awesome perk. I also leveled my Energy Weapons and Melee to the minimum needed for the Sonic Emitter and the Protonic Inversal Axe, so all those pesky Robo-Scorpions are trivial now. As soon as I get back to the Mojave I need to set aside carrying space to hoover up all those packs and cartons of cigarettes so I can make all the .308 ammo and stimpacks I'll ever need from the Sierra Madre vendor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I tend to play every run with combat mods that even up everything to "realistic" standards, which includes removing any forced damage resistance from unarmored human enemies like Lobotomites. You still need good armor to withstand more than a few hits, but those bastards just drop with one headshot or a .45-70 to the chest. It also makes power armor realistically tanky to the point where low level bullets are almost literally pinging off you and you need stuff like .50 BMG and laser and plasma weapons to effectively fight Brotherhood knights.

Using an unlimited companion mod to get everyone together and raiding The Fort with this kind of damage turns into sublime chaos.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Grimthwacker posted:

Old World Blues would be the perfect New Vegas DLC. . .if not for the constant, seemingly endless fighting you wind up doing in the open world. Seriously, it's like there's always something coming after you, and you rarely have a chance to catch your breath. Honest Hearts was a lot better at giving you downtime to chill and explore at your own pace.
If you can afford Animal Friend it becomes a lot more relaxed (and the High School Horror quest becomes almost too easy) since the Nightstalkers will ignore you and they're probably the biggest irritation while you're roaming around the crater. The Lobotomites tend to show up in small easily dispatched groups and drop light armor and useful weapons.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ll never play OWB or Honest Hearts without Animal Friend again

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't remember which it was but there was a mod I used to have that changed the behavior of most wild animals to make them about as aggressive as real animals would be, so stuff like geckos and coyotes would mostly avoid suicide charging you from a mile away and radroaches wouldn't keep trying to nip your ankles unless you provoked them or got too close. The areas full of wildlife are still dangerous to enter for loot, but you don't have every cub coming flying off a cliff straight into minigun fire as you walk.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

NorgLyle posted:

If you can afford Animal Friend it becomes a lot more relaxed (and the High School Horror quest becomes almost too easy) since the Nightstalkers will ignore you and they're probably the biggest irritation while you're roaming around the crater. The Lobotomites tend to show up in small easily dispatched groups and drop light armor and useful weapons.

Need one more point of Charisma, and I'm still a ways away from another perk level. Also, the Lobotomites at my level have friggin' Brush Guns and Hunting Revolvers, so they're a lot more of a threat.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grimthwacker posted:

Need one more point of Charisma, and I'm still a ways away from another perk level. Also, the Lobotomites at my level have friggin' Brush Guns and Hunting Revolvers, so they're a lot more of a threat.

Having 5 charisma is pointless, there's a bug that makes the companion stat boost non-functional. I either set it to 6 for Animal Friend, or just keep it at 1. (Of course, I know it's too late to change that)

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Whenever I make a new courier and use the vigor tester, Doc Mitchell will always say I must have frontal lobe damage.

I will never hear any of the other stat lines :colbert:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

moot the hopple posted:

Whenever I make a new courier and use the vigor tester, Doc Mitchell will always say I must have frontal lobe damage.

I will never hear any of the other stat lines :colbert:

:same:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I wish I’d gotten a reaction from choosing “Doc Mitchell” as my name in the intro Doc Mitchell visit but no

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The All-American is supposed to be in Vault 34, right? I scoured the armory and couldn't find anything. Just a regular Marksman Carbine. According to the wiki it's supposed to be on an overturned table, but still nothing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grimthwacker posted:

The All-American is supposed to be in Vault 34, right? I scoured the armory and couldn't find anything. Just a regular Marksman Carbine. According to the wiki it's supposed to be on an overturned table, but still nothing.

It has a habit of falling off the table and possibly clipping through the floor. Check all the floors and then either noclip or just spawn it

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Grimthwacker posted:

Once I cleaned out Vault 34 and couldn’t find the All American. The next fight I got into Boone opened up full auto on a gecko. He’d yoinked it from the floor after the grenades I’d tossed in there scattered everything all over the room. So check your companions inventories

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Chamale posted:

Having 5 charisma is pointless, there's a bug that makes the companion stat boost non-functional. I either set it to 6 for Animal Friend, or just keep it at 1. (Of course, I know it's too late to change that)
Is this even with all of the patch mods included with Viva New Vegas? I pop some party time mentats and I swear my dudes blast harder.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Apparently they get a damage boost from charisma but nothing else. I don't see anything about it in a quick ctrl+F through YUP's patch notes, which is surprising

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

YUP doesn't do any fixes that would require a script extender. It could be that this particular issue is something that would require additional scripting, in which case it might be covered by Unofficial Patch NVSE Plus or lStewieAl's Tweaks and Engine Fixes, or one of the other NVSE-dependent mods included in VNV.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

2house2fly posted:

Apparently they get a damage boost from charisma but nothing else. I don't see anything about it in a quick ctrl+F through YUP's patch notes, which is surprising
I can't imagine how insane the good companions would be if Charisma actually boosted them; playing with ED-E and Boone pretty much sets the game to easy difficulty already.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
This has been a bit of a controversial topic, and the last edit on the wiki says Nerve works as intended, and apparently it's by a coder who examined the game closely. I'd love some clarification.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The wiki says 'Nerve' is a +5% to Companion damage and armour per point of Charisma, up to +50% at 10 Charisma. I think in base game this doesn't work at all. Some mods may alter it to do more, from the looks of it.

Edit: Misread your post, but the wiki I'm looking at still considered it bugged and not working, so ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 9, 2022

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I blew up the Brotherhood of Steel bunker per House's orders and I feel. . . indifferent? Yeah, it's not something I'd usually do in a game like this, and Veronica introduced me after I brought her there and I did McNamara's mission to make everybody like me.

I also did Veronica's quest, and well. . . saying that they can be asshats is putting it lightly. I happily pickpocketed everybody, punched in the code and ran like hell. Go me I guess.

Poor Vero's going to be sitting in the Lucky 38 for the rest of the game, blissfully ignorant of the atrocity I committed.

Now I have to prevent President Kimball's assassination, and I'm being all sorts of paranoid looking around, seeing if there's anything out of the ordinary, like the engineer who was talking about her friend who hasn't shown up yet and now I'm looking for the barracks in this massive dam and I feel like I'm going to spend hours before kicking things off.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Grimthwacker posted:

Now I have to prevent President Kimball's assassination, and I'm being all sorts of paranoid looking around, seeing if there's anything out of the ordinary, like the engineer who was talking about her friend who hasn't shown up yet and now I'm looking for the barracks in this massive dam and I feel like I'm going to spend hours before kicking things off.

Ah, how I envy you your blind playthrough here. Have fun. :haw:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

And Stay Back is the only thing keeping me alive against Deathclaws in Lonesome Road. Two swipes and I'm dead. My usual encounter goes: Potshots with the Survivalist's Rifle at range, Riot Shotgun to the torso to knock them down, Assault Carbine spray to finish them off. I'm saving the Automatic Rifle for real emergencies but the Carbine has been solid all game. Also, screw satchel charge mines, I can barely see them and they do ludicrous amounts of damage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Get Light Step to ignore the mines. And Stay Back is amazing when you get to the Couriers Mile.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

And Stay Back is one of the single best perks in the game, and it's really fun to watch things tumble backwards across the ground when you have a Riot Shotgun.

Tagaziel posted:

This has been a bit of a controversial topic, and the last edit on the wiki says Nerve works as intended, and apparently it's by a coder who examined the game closely. I'd love some clarification.

This ought to be measurable by experiment. I'll use a character with Living Anatomy and watch Boone shoot some enemies with my charisma at 1 and at 10.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
And Stay Back + Shotgun Surgeon + Riot Shotgun makes deathclaws no big deal. Well special loads against the Irradiated deathclaws help cause they deal bullshit damage

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm gonna have to break my hoarding habits and really stomp Hoover Dam with my built up arsenal. Load up on ammo, get ED-E and give Cass an LMG or Dinner Bell so she can be effective against anything even remotely armored. Y'know, have fun with it!

Cat Hassler posted:

And Stay Back + Shotgun Surgeon + Riot Shotgun makes deathclaws no big deal. Well special loads against the Irradiated deathclaws help cause they deal bullshit damage

I need to engage more with ammo crafting because even with the above loadout Deathclaws still take a fair number of buckshot shells to down. Again, I'm in the endgame, time to break out the good stuff and kick some serious rear end.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Nerve damage boost actually works, as it says in the Fandom wiki. The DT boost doesn't work. I let Boone shoot at some Giant Soldier Ants on Very Hard Hardcore- each non-critical, non-headshot dealt 10 damage. Then I increased my Charisma to 8 with Whiskey and Party Time Mentats, and Boone dealt 14 damage.

I thought the whole thing didn't work, so all my characters have had 1 Charisma forever. I should try a support-class character who gives the best guns to companions.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Been getting a little bit of time to play lately, just finished Dead Money, back in New Vegas now, only problem is all my active quests right now are major questlines, and I have to make decision soon. I already know how I'm siding (NCR), but I always hate to pull the trigger, literally, with Mr. House.

Any good new quest mods? I haven't touched any New Vegas Bounties II content yet, nor Inheritance either. Still have 3 DLCs as well, but I like to Honest Hearts after Mr. House dies for story reasons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Been getting a little bit of time to play lately, just finished Dead Money, back in New Vegas now, only problem is all my active quests right now are major questlines, and I have to make decision soon. I already know how I'm siding (NCR), but I always hate to pull the trigger, literally, with Mr. House.

Any good new quest mods? I haven't touched any New Vegas Bounties II content yet, nor Inheritance either. Still have 3 DLCs as well, but I like to Honest Hearts after Mr. House dies for story reasons.

Have you tried Autumn Leaves? It's a more story and investigation-based quest that Bethesda is believed to have stolen for Fallout 4.

New Vegas Bounties doesn't get better. The first one was deemed too easy and too focused on pop culture references, so 2 ramps up the difficulty with massive numbers of enemies and artificially inflated stats to make them more dangerous. 3 is buggy, stupidly edgy, and will permanently kill any companions you bring. As in the mod tells you not to bring companions, and if you do the villain will execute them all to punish you and the mod will permanently delete them from the save file so you can't even cheat to revive them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

3 is buggy, stupidly edgy, and will permanently kill any companions you bring. As in the mod tells you not to bring companions, and if you do the villain will execute them all to punish you and the mod will permanently delete them from the save file so you can't even cheat to revive them.

lol

lmao

Got any primo samples of the edginess? Bounties 1 felt alright, I'd remember if there was anything truly heinous.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

chitoryu12 posted:

Have you tried Autumn Leaves? It's a more story and investigation-based quest that Bethesda is believed to have stolen for Fallout 4.

New Vegas Bounties doesn't get better. The first one was deemed too easy and too focused on pop culture references, so 2 ramps up the difficulty with massive numbers of enemies and artificially inflated stats to make them more dangerous. 3 is buggy, stupidly edgy, and will permanently kill any companions you bring. As in the mod tells you not to bring companions, and if you do the villain will execute them all to punish you and the mod will permanently delete them from the save file so you can't even cheat to revive them.

Yeah I'm aware of the stupidness of Bounties III, I do like some of the stories of Bounties II though, and the Inheritance is good as well.

I think I will try Autumn Leaves, I've heard good things about it. Thanks. I also need to reinstall all the Puce Moose quests too.

quote:

Got any primo samples of the edginess? Bounties 1 felt alright, I'd remember if there was anything truly heinous.

I haven't played it but from what I've read;

1) The main villain Marko spends the entire mod berating you and calling you a killer, and saying you're no better than he is (Because you see he murders and pillages because he's a psychopath while you murder and kill psychopaths, completely similar).
2) Your dialog responses to Marko are all weak and pathetic. You can't call him out on his bullshit, only deny it or whine that he's not fair. Also the final battle against him is crazy hard
3) Going through the story you get a permanent trait that cripples your unholstering speed. No benefits.
4) You can't prevent any of the truly horrible stuff from happening in the mod. Your companions get killed and deleted, Marko still murders an entire village because he feels like it, and your silver lining is you get to kill him and a few scumbags, after they do evil stuff.
5) The ending slides talk about how your courier is crippled, scared, and left with PTSD.

Could've been a simple story mod where you finally meet Marko, and you either choose to fight him to make him pay for all his evil actions, but destroy a town in the process, OR you let him live and spare the town. Instead you get crap sandwiches no matter what choice you make.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 14, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ah, my favorite, forced player reactions in a relatively freeform(for character creation and actions) RPG.

I'd complain about the mod dev having the nerve but I played Lonesome Road already. :twisted:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Doomykins posted:

Ah, my favorite, forced player reactions in a relatively freeform(for character creation and actions) RPG.

I'd complain about the mod dev having the nerve but I played Lonesome Road already. :twisted:

It's still the best suggestion I've seen, from someone in this thread:

[Speech 100] What the gently caress are you talking about, Ulysses? I've never been here before.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Doomykins posted:

From what the dev has admitted, he was going through a rough patch/depression when he wrote New Vegas Bounties III, and given the opportunity, he'd do it differently now. So I see it as less nerve and more "depression can make you write some horrible stuff."

I hear his Better Angels tries to patch things up about it, and I've only heard good things for it. I'll still give the man kudos, he's created days worth of content for an old game for free, I won't grudge him too much if the story isn't to my liking. 1 bad mod (story-wise) out of 6 or 7 is a great track record when you see NV California/The Frontier/Beyond Boulder Dome couldn't even get one good one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Vavrek posted:

It's still the best suggestion I've seen, from someone in this thread:

[Speech 100] What the gently caress are you talking about, Ulysses? I've never been here before.

I'd love that.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

From what the dev has admitted, he was going through a rough patch/depression when he wrote New Vegas Bounties III, and given the opportunity, he'd do it differently now. So I see it as less nerve and more "depression can make you write some horrible stuff."

I hear his Better Angels tries to patch things up about it, and I've only heard good things for it. I'll still give the man kudos, he's created days worth of content for an old game for free, I won't grudge him too much if the story isn't to my liking. 1 bad mod (story-wise) out of 6 or 7 is a great track record when you see NV California/The Frontier/Beyond Boulder Dome couldn't even get one good one.

Ah, nice to hear there's more to it. And I did enjoy Bounties 1! I'll have to mod more aggressively the next time Vegas demands my time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vavrek posted:

[Speech 100] What the gently caress are you talking about, Ulysses?

Add this to every single dialogue choice in LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm playing with a mod that removes the [Speech 40/40] bubbles from dialogue, so you have to figure out from context if a response is going to work or not. When I was trying to buy out Cass's caravan she yelled "What kind of loving negotiator are you?"