Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

drat kids these days won't even recognize the buzz when you're about to get a phone call in GTA4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
This entire time I assumed his name was Josh Whedon, and it's actually Joss?!

Joss isn't even a loving name!

This is like Bimmy and Jimmy all over again!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's a really dumb nickname for Joseph

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

wow that is really dumb

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Humanity would be so much better off if we had hideously long brick shithouse arms like the great apes

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Humanity would be so much better off if we had hideously long brick shithouse arms like the great apes

Not going to lie - after watching videos of gibbons and siamangs swinging about in trees, I'd be down for this.

Cities designed for brachiation would be so much fun.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Elissimpark posted:

Not going to lie - after watching videos of gibbons and siamangs swinging about in trees, I'd be down for this.

Cities designed for brachiation would be so much fun.

Yeah, until rush hour when you're stuck in branch to branch traffic.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's ok to not know where New Zealand is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lampsacus posted:

It's ok to not know where New Zealand is.

I’m not saying I believe that New Zealand is a fake place made up to promote the Lord of the Rings movies. But it’s drat hard to prove otherwise.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Captain Monkey posted:

Also refer to Topher (short for Christopher)

First time I saw it I was like "what kind of wack-rear end hippie name is that? I bet that kid got swirlied in school"

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I hate hippies so God damned much. But I love hippie music somehow.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Most of the hippies I've met were dicks, but ex-hippies are worse. It's everything that truly sucks about hippies plus the lyrics of "Love Me, I'm a Liberal."

I could lay into hippy music here but I think Aramek is the one with the unpopular opinion. I thought we'd agreed as a society that Grateful Dead has one good song and 50 years of bad ones. I guess there are outliers!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

Most of the hippies I've met were dicks, but ex-hippies are worse. It's everything that truly sucks about hippies plus the lyrics of "Love Me, I'm a Liberal."

I could lay into hippy music here but I think Aramek is the one with the unpopular opinion. I thought we'd agreed as a society that Grateful Dead has one good song and 50 years of bad ones. I guess there are outliers!

.... what's the good one?

I just figured I wasn't on enough drugs for the Dead.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

DeadlyMuffin posted:

.... what's the good one?

I just figured I wasn't on enough drugs for the Dead.

The one Sublime covered?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1iEJavHE1M

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I checked and I was remembering wrong. "Touch of Grey" is toothless and boring.

Is Hendrix hippy music? They don't deserve him but if his stuff is hippy, well, never mind.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For many years I had an ipod in a car that had nothing but all the GTA SA music, complete with the commercials mixed around but it took a lot of by-hand work to set it up and after about the fifth time Apple reset the order I gave up.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I stand by my post. :colbert:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
God, games like Werewolf and (as I have recently learned) Secret Hitler that revolve around people hiding stuff from each other and lying and pretending are so unbelievably unfun, especially when (like in Secret Hitler) there are like hundreds of thousands of different rules.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

YeahTubaMike posted:

God, games like Werewolf and (as I have recently learned) Secret Hitler that revolve around people hiding stuff from each other and lying and pretending are so unbelievably unfun, especially when (like in Secret Hitler) there are like hundreds of thousands of different rules.

Just going to ask for clarification. "Werewolf" is also known as "Mafia" right? I'm not familiar with "Secret Hitler" but if they're in the same family they're also known to kids as "Among Us."

They all suck, I've played one IRL and one online.

It's based on accusation and convincing a crowd you're either a good person and not going to kill them or doing the opposite. It might have some value for understanding group dynamics.

Also lawyers are strangely good at them. Make of that what you will.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
They are excellent icebreakers, maybe the ideal group is a bunch of bored kids in a college freshman dorm. There are way better incomplete-info games for a regular group.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I dislike the ones like mafia, werewolf and among us where there's barely game mechanics between the rounds of accusation. It's just "someone died, now fanfic about whodunnit". Secret Hitler, Camelot or the battlestar Galactica board game all have each player make gameplay decisions in full view of all the other players, which means you have to be discrete in your sabotage when you're evil. Also the "vote for someone to die" phase isn't obligatory so you don't do it until you have actual suspicions.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My mom’s been reading some of my manga so I had her read the very good oneshot manga Look Back (available at your local bookstore). She didn’t quite understand the scene that takes place in the main character’s imagination as she imagines being able to save her friend from being murdered.

This kind of drives home something that I’ve heard before that I didn’t really believe: younger generations nowadays are significantly more media savvy than the older ones. I think part of it is that newer art is made with younger people in mind and part of it is that recreational media analysis is much more available than it used to be. Discussions of tropes and theme certainly existed in the past, but it wasn’t nearly as readily available or as broad in content as it was now. My mom’s 61, for context.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Board games with social mechanics in a zero sum system? Yeah, gently caress those. Including games with pacts and trade systems and such. You make deals because you have to, but every deal is made with both sides thinking they're going to exploit the other, usually with some planned betrayal, but there are other ways to exploit.

There are people who love these games and it's not because there's anything wrong with them (the board game review site Shut Up and Sit Down is known both for loving social games and for being good and decent people) but I don't want to do any of that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't like Secret Hitler but the idea it is rules heavy is baffling.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't like Secret Hitler but the idea it is rules heavy is baffling.

Because I couldn't think of the name "Among Us" I went through an embarrassing old man moment of googling werewolves and mafias and secret Hitler.

The Wikipedia for Mafia games is kind of a lot to process. The different roles and what is allowed is somewhat complex. Not sure how all these games work though.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Because I couldn't think of the name "Among Us" I went through an embarrassing old man moment of googling werewolves and mafias and secret Hitler.

The Wikipedia for Mafia games is kind of a lot to process. The different roles and what is allowed is somewhat complex. Not sure how all these games work though.

Mostly people just use a narrator, villagers, and mafiosi, then start to house-rule in extra roles as they get bored with the vanilla game. It is a calvinball-intensive pursuit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Scape Goat is a good social deduction game if you want a simple one where lying isn't a real part of strategy. One player is designated the scape goat and they have to escape before the other players turn them into the police. The trick is that nobody, including the scape goat knows who the scape goat is.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've only played Werewolf once but it was a really great way to spend an hour with some friends :shrug:

edit: oh gently caress this is unpopular opinions thread, where did I think I was?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

its obvious but the group you're playing with really matters in social deduction games. there's a kind of player who holds actual non-play grudges and denies it that can make the whole experience miserable instead of fun

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Diplomacy in play by email turn based strategy games, that last months, is the ultimate "social game". Even though (or maybe because) it's affected by how well you are doing in the game and who your neighbours are.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Just going to ask for clarification. "Werewolf" is also known as "Mafia" right? I'm not familiar with "Secret Hitler" but if they're in the same family they're also known to kids as "Among Us."

They all suck, I've played one IRL and one online.

It's based on accusation and convincing a crowd you're either a good person and not going to kill them or doing the opposite. It might have some value for understanding group dynamics.

Also lawyers are strangely good at them. Make of that what you will.

I think Werewolf and Mafia might just be the same game with different branding. Also, I'm glad my opinion isn't the unpopularest opinion possible...which might itself be an unpopular opinion...

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

its obvious but the group you're playing with really matters in social deduction games. there's a kind of player who holds actual non-play grudges and denies it that can make the whole experience miserable instead of fun

I know someone who flat-out refused to play Secret Hitler with her husband because of a grudge, which I found odd after playing it but I've never been married so :shrug:

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Werewolf is 'hello I am a mystical seer and my crystal ball has shown me the truth, you are a lycanthropic child of the moon, prepare to die'

Mafia is 'hello I am a detective and not only did I investigate you and determine that you were a criminal, but I also followed you all night to see what you did, shot your friend in the face with my last bullet, applied first aid to my compatriot who was attacked by someone who wanted to burn them beyond recognition, avoided the hijinx of a hypnotist who wanted me to think I shot someone else instead, all while talking on ham radio to a person I don't know and can't trust, maybe'

It's like coke versus diet coke, I guess

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

postmodifier posted:

Mafia is 'hello I am a detective and not only did I investigate you and determine that you were a criminal, but I also followed you all night to see what you did, shot your friend in the face with my last bullet, applied first aid to my compatriot who was attacked by someone who wanted to burn them beyond recognition, avoided the hijinx of a hypnotist who wanted me to think I shot someone else instead, all while talking on ham radio to a person I don't know and can't trust, maybe'

It's like coke versus diet coke, I guess

That sounds right.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The automatic tip options that all restaurants have now seem like a positive change since presumably people's inherent laziness means they're less likely to hit "other" and then type in "0" so a lot of people who wouldn't have tipped anything are now tipping.

But I can't help but suspect there's some other nefarious purpose.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The best way to play social deduction games is to be silly. It's one of the few games in the 'board game' space in which not trying too hard to win is a good thing.
e: this applies more to blood on the clocktower and other derivatives of mafia

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I forgot why I bought Secret Hitler but it was extremely embarrassing when I was paying for some cleaning help and they found it (by found it, saw it lying on the ground where I left it years after the package came in the mail for it).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you use the term "Review" when you mean "Synopsis" or "Plot Outline" you should be lowered into a well and left there

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

If you use the term "Review" when you mean "Synopsis" or "Plot Outline" you should be lowered into a well and left there

Hard to see how this is unpopular

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rick posted:

I forgot why I bought Secret Hitler but it was extremely embarrassing when I was paying for some cleaning help and they found it (by found it, saw it lying on the ground where I left it years after the package came in the mail for it).

its a fun game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Secret Hitler is Resistance/Avalon but worse.