Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Floodixor posted:

i guess that now cyberpunk 2077 is... GOOD now????

it's still an fps with rpg stats and healthbars (ew) and has a completely useless empty open world stapled onto a linear story
but they fixed the worst of the gamebreaking bugs so instead of a 3/10 completely broken game it's a 7/10 slightly jank game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm pretty okay with 7/10 slightly jank games but I will never give money to the people who made the Witcher 3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's still an fps with rpg stats and healthbars (ew) and has a completely useless empty open world stapled onto a linear story
but they fixed the worst of the gamebreaking bugs so instead of a 3/10 completely broken game it's a 7/10 slightly jank game.

Hey now, you can discover a gun that sings a rhianna song in that open world!!!!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

NEVER DO U HEAR ME

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its got exactly one actually good sidequest that is unfortunately undermined by having an extremely easy to find easter egg for Death Stranding in it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cyberpunk is fun and night city is a good city for just driving around. on my second playthrough right now in fact. there are good reasons for not supporting cdpr but im glad the anime has gotten people to give it a second look all the same

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Barudak posted:

Its got exactly one actually good sidequest that is unfortunately undermined by having an extremely easy to find easter egg for Death Stranding in it.

look it isn't a death stranding easter egg every time you find a can of monster energy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

"it takes about 90 hours for the stockholm syndrome to set in"

I played up to the part they told me it gets good, and then they were like "oh I mean that's where it starts to get good. you still have to do like 50 hours of bear-rear end hunting before you get to the part that's really good. but it's all uphill from here"

@(*#^$ expansion didn't even come with a free month subscription

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fur20 posted:

I played up to the part they told me it gets good, and then they were like "oh I mean that's where it starts to get good. you still have to do like 50 hours of bear-rear end hunting before you get to the part that's really good. but it's all uphill from here"

It doesn't get good, ever, except for one brief moment where they rip off the song "This is Halloween" for a bossfight.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is this a queer circles thing? I thought that was just ffxiv players. I assumed they got free extra lives for recruiting people or whatever like Candy Crush.

less it's a queer circle thing, more there are a lot of queer aligned folks who play FFXIV for a variety of reasons, so you just get the proselytizing you would from normal FFXIV players but in a much more concentrated and potent form since there's like sixteen of them in the same discord server

'variety of reasons' btw is really just 'you can play an anime twink catboy and dress them up in fabulous clothing'

which honestly is the most valid reason to like a game. more games need to let you play dress up with your character

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fur20 posted:

Hilariously, that was my impression of WoW back in the 00's as well. EQ had sounded fun and so when I joined some friends who where big into net cafes for an overnight session, I spent the whole 8 loving hours doing WoW bear butt hunting. At the end of it when I commented it didn't really seem that fun, they said "Oh no, when you get to level xx and you get instanced combat is where the real fun begins!"

You stupid motherfuckers, most video games get half a loving hour to get good before I dumpster them. You Stupid. Mother. Fuckers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fur20 posted:

lol that rules, what a well-executed bait and switch

do you also owe any of these friends money? Oh I'll pay you back next week for sure, that's when my investments really start to pay off! What are those investments, you ask? Well none of your business but I have procured a number of rare meme images, you see in the attention economy we will...

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

friends don't let friends play mmorpgs

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Back when I played EQ there wasnt any instanced combat. You had to have guild members with alts camped at raidboss spawn locations so you know the minute they pop so you can rush and beat the other guilds to it. Most of my time playing EQ was spent staring at the screen waiting for something to happen

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Even if you're just staring at the screen, the game still vibed way harder than any modern MMO

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's dire. Some friends started playing wow again so I started a free character (levels 1-20) and I had to quit at lvl 3. Most mobile games offer more gameplay than wow. I'd play snake or one of those tiger electronics games over wow. I'd rather doodle on a piece of paper.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something with noting about FFXIV is that a lot of people, especially its most dedicated evangelists, have been playing for over 8 years. That means they didn't push through the gigantic pile of story content all at once--they've done it piece by piece, either as it was released or in smaller chunks between breaks, over the course of several years. That's a very different experience to what you'd have starting now, to the degree that even though I like FFXIV, I don't think I could recommend it to someone now. There's just Too Much Game there. Even if it was all 100% killer, it'd still be too much for a lot of people, and it very much is not 100% killer.

That said I'm also a pretty casual FFXIV player. I come back to play major story updates, maybe screw around on another class for a bit, then unsubscribe for like 6 months to a year at a time and then come back and play a bit more. I'm not a big MMO player so I'm not spending every day hanging out in game trying to get my friends to play with me or whatever.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Caesar Saladin posted:

Even if you're just staring at the screen, the game still vibed way harder than any modern MMO

the conundrum is that the most fun and interesting MMOs are the ones that are punishingly difficult but that inevitably drives away everyone but the poopsocks

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
MMORPGs to me feel like a data entry office job where you just fill stuff into forms or operate some old poo poo piece of software that was supposed to be replaced with automation back in 2008 but because of byzantine corpo reasons this wasn't done. And even if you streamline absolutely everything you can about it, it's incredibly time consuming and thinking about it drives you nuts because it just could be done so much easier. After a while you get used to it and it becomes kinda zen and you can do it for 8 hours day without noticing. It's relatively stress free, and you like your coworkers, there's people to talk to, so it ain't all that bad for a year or two. And hey, you get paid for doing that.

Now imagine not only you don't get paid, but you have to pay them!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I never raided or anything in Everquest, i was 12 and I just explored the massive and weird and varied world full of really scary monsters. It was like the world wasn't actually built for players or something, there were massive zones with almost no reason to go there that never had any players in them but had unique landscapes and interesting monsters.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Caesar Saladin posted:

I never raided or anything in Everquest, i was 12 and I just explored the massive and weird and varied world full of really scary monsters. It was like the world wasn't actually built for players or something, there were massive zones with almost no reason to go there that never had any players in them but had unique landscapes and interesting monsters.

Yeah everquest owned completely for a bored teenager with little better to do. I loved everquest, but I would never play anything like that these days. Havent got the time or inclination. Ff14 fortunately isnt like that cuz its p much a single player jrpg

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Back when I played EQ there wasnt any instanced combat. You had to have guild members with alts camped at raidboss spawn locations so you know the minute they pop so you can rush and beat the other guilds to it. Most of my time playing EQ was spent staring at the screen waiting for something to happen

I played a cleric so I spent a lot of time logged out waiting for the IM or ICQ message telling me it was safe to come back in and start rezzing.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Caesar Saladin posted:

I thought the mid-levels of old MMOs were way more interesting than anything else to come out of the genre for this reason, having a semi-capable character and exploring dangerous areas with a few friends for fun was way more entertaining than being yelled at for not putting up enough dps by a gaggle of angry nerds at 2 in the morning

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

It doesn't get good, ever, except for one brief moment where they rip off the song "This is Halloween" for a bossfight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBeVDXx1bIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6AXb2DNE4M

oh poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I played a cleric so I spent a lot of time logged out waiting for the IM or ICQ message telling me it was safe to come back in and start rezzing.

Oh yeah, I played a rogue so I spent a lot of time dragging corpses lol

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

jokes posted:

Uh... Kupo?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

jokes posted:

Sorry, you don’t like final fantasy and you don’t like MMORPGs and you played final fantasy 14?

We all liked FF games as kids and needed a new game to play together. And some people were saying it held up as a single player game and had the best of the recent FF stories. It almost approached fun in the multi party dungeons but any goodwill it built up there was quickly lost in the intervening hours of letter delivery required.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm playing the original star ocean on analogue pocket and it's real nice to look at

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Star Ocean 1 is cool but ghetto as hell. Toward the end of the game, there are random encounter groups that are just a bunch of casters and they drop more damage than you have health before you have time to walk over and interrupt their spells. otoh you can one-shot the final boss with instant death procs. It is a land of contrasts

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My favorite way to play mmorpgs is to get together a couple friends on whatever new free to play game just launched, make characters with whatever class has the best movement powers, and go on a tour of the theme park, seeing how many places we can get to without bothering to actually fight monsters.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Fur20 posted:

Star Ocean 1 is cool but ghetto as hell. Toward the end of the game, there are random encounter groups that are just a bunch of casters and they drop more damage than you have health before you have time to walk over and interrupt their spells. otoh you can one-shot the final boss with instant death procs. It is a land of contrasts

knowing myself, i will not see the end of the game

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
The correct way to play Alpha Protocol is to cheese the gameplay as quickly as possible with pistols and treat it like a visual novel

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

gently caress the Everquest Dark Elf/Barbarian city. gently caress that place. If you disagree you are the dumbest person ever. Thank you for your time.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 15, 2022

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

There wasn't any dark elf/barbarian city you dummy they had separate ones in opposite ends of the continent.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Also I played on a good vs evil pvp server and Neriak was a beacon of safety in a harsh, unforgiving, endlessly punishing world so I strongly disagree and will fight

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

There wasn't any dark elf/barbarian city you dummy they had separate ones in opposite ends of the continent.

It's all virtual you dummy there are no opposite ends.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Scorn fuckin finally came out, gently caress me, it's been like... 5 years? Or something mad? In the making.

Really really enjoying it so far. It's possibly closer to a walking simulator so far than an FPS, but it's really fuckin' cool. This is my first game in the new unreal engine though, and possibly that's going a long way to my enjoyment, but it is absolutely astonishing to look at. It is actually unnerving, 'sinister' is such a rare atmosphere to find in games and I'm totally here for it.

I wish more games were 'sinister'.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Fur20 posted:

Is this the SNES or the PSP version?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The only thing I remember about Star Ocean 1 is in the fansub one of the characters says that another one "fucks like a tiger" and this was an intense moment for me at a 9 year old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

!Klams posted:

This is my first game in the new unreal engine though

I think it’s a UE4 game, not 5.