Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I was in tears at that team task lol. What a performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I was laughing when he turned the hat over and then almost died when he lifted the hat up

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The childlike glee as he looked straight into the camera laughing. Perfect task.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Sooo many great lines and moments in that episode.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wonderful episode, and there is Traitor John

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:hmmyes: "You seem like you just eat roasts"

Paladinus posted:

John was the perfect person for the sabotage side-task. What a performance!

John, we want you to act like yourself.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

“This is like finding out one of your relatives has been talking to the FBI”

I like Fearne. :D

nerox
May 20, 2001

Inferior posted:

“This is like finding out one of your relatives has been talking to the FBI”

I like Fearne. :D

She has definitely had my favorite offhand remarks. The entire exchange itry was referring to was hilarious.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It was the first episode where everyone really clicked. Redemption for John.

The episode was so good I completely forgot about Alex saying "gently caress's sake" until now

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Absolutely excellent EP. All of them have been great so far.

That team task was so good, and Alex getting angry about throwing was funny as hell. Banter was really really good too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Incredibly glad John succeeded in the sabotage, as you get the sense Dara and Fearne might actually be annoyed by him and that that task may have solidified that impression.

This season has been great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wish they'd all actually attempted an spectacular catch. The little skits are nice once in a while but it's weird when some people are actually doing the task and others are coming up with a joke for the editing team to make work.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I hope that team task was early and they're just pissed off at him in the rest of them as well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thebardyspoon posted:

I hope that team task was early and they're just pissed off at him in the rest of them as well.

I hope he has to do the exact same thing in all of them.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That may be an all time great episode of Taskmaster. Only forgettable task was the final because it went so quickly.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's a pretty good season so far. May be a classic.

stev posted:

I wish they'd all actually attempted an spectacular catch. The little skits are nice once in a while but it's weird when some people are actually doing the task and others are coming up with a joke for the editing team to make work.

They should have given them more to work with.

stev posted:

Too cruel.

Edit: Already 26 minutes :eyepop:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Outtakes posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnRsjKAUMM

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

stev posted:

That would be absolutely incredible.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
can someone answer my Q from before? I’m very confused with the sand task about all the cutting to a wide and not seeing the camera that was obviously *right next to them*

Edit: I’ve shot and edited video before professionally so I can’t watch TV the same way other folk do

thehustler fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 14, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

thehustler posted:

can someone answer my Q from before? I’m very confused with the sand task about all the cutting to a wide and not seeing the camera that was obviously *right next to them*

Edit: I’ve shot and edited video before professionally so I can’t watch TV the same way other folk do

...zoom lens?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
TV magic.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

thehustler posted:

They use a ton of mounted cameras. There was one mounted to the shopping cart, and there was likely others around. That could explain it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
"it was you that sucked it, not that old man?" - Greg commenting on Dara drinking the orange juice, was loving amazing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just an absolute banger of an ep.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

thehustler posted:

In fairness, you did post your question from before in the UK TV thread...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Heavy_D posted:

In fairness, you did post your question from before in the UK TV thread...

gently caress - did I?

Edit: oh poo poo, thanks! :derp:

Anyway, not a zoom lens, it was the camera running alongside the teams when they were on their way along the side of the house. The focal length didn’t suggest they were filming from the garden hedge where Alex and the rest of the crew was and zooming in.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

thehustler posted:

Nimble camera operators who know how to move around so there's a selection of angles without them in shot, plus editing so non-sequential footage feels like real-time.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I guess that’s the trick, but at points it felt like an immediate cut at the same period of time and then a camera just… disappeared. Obviously with stuff being cut for time your description makes a lot of sense.

Shoot the close, back up a bit, cut at a point that looks seamless (limbs in the same place, blah).

Really hard to get right but magic when it all works

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just watching the second episode of TM Quebec: There's an eat an egg fast task and it ends being one of those legendary moments in TM.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I was nearly crying with laughter when the final task was making the host say a specific word with a question and the word was helicopter

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I love this series so far. I don't dislike a single contestant even a little. Only part I haven't liked so far is the CGI stuff.

Also, (S14E01 spoiler) Dara was robbed in that bird drawing task. It was clearly a perfectly good pelican with the beak on the left as he said:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Phigs posted:

I love this series so far. I don't dislike a single contestant even a little. Only part I haven't liked so far is the CGI stuff.

Also, (S14E01 spoiler) Dara was robbed in that bird drawing task. It was clearly a perfectly good pelican with the beak on the left as he said:

Agreed with everything but

John. He's randomly entertaining but that's because there's something wrong with him. It's interesting in a :piaa: sort of way

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

He's like a gray man though. My mind just slides off him when he's not doing anything interesting so he doesn't annoy me.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Phigs posted:

He's like a gray man though. My mind just slides off him when he's not doing anything interesting so he doesn't annoy me.

He was alright in the sabotage task, but it would have been very hard for anyone to *not* be good in the sabotage taks, it was set up so exquisitely by the production team.

In the studio I think he's rather poor. Greg and Dara are actively lobbing him easy setup-lines for jokes, or opportunities for him to fire a witty comback at them, and he just sort of sits there quietly and shrugs. And I have tried to see if I like him in other things, but he properly set up my hackles on 8 out of 10 Cats too, with his wig and teeth, so his comedy just isn't for me. Hey, comedy is subjective after all!

I'm loving Dara and Sarah though, and Fern is great, and wonderfully off-kilter in her responses to Greg. Munya taking the "Ed Gamble/Nish Kumar" approach to the throwing task and not changing his approach in the slightest despite its' evident failings was very amusing too!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Kearns was actively sabotaging the task and doing the worst possible thing you could do and they didn’t even consider he might be doing it deliberately. They just automatically thought he was that poo poo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

Kearns was actively sabotaging the task and doing the worst possible thing you could do and they didn’t even consider he might be doing it deliberately. They just automatically thought he was that poo poo.

I mean given Rhod's performance in the "build the best extension to the Taskmaster house" task from S7 it's not unprecedented for the team of 3 to have one member that makes things worse completely of their own volition.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Dara & Sara, Fern, and Munya are all excellent. Anyone can make a funny [something], a comedian can make [something] funny.

But the problematical one. Having seen clips of John's routine now, I'm not sure he understands what his crowd thinks is funny? I mean I don't, but does he? He plays a narrowminded character? who looks ugly and that's sort of it. Nothing's really heightened in his jokes, it's just... stuff a bad but real person would say. Is he just doing stuff he himself would do while looking more fake ugly? Are his people laughing at the twit stereotype alone? Are they laughing at jokes, or is Kearns desperately being random hoping they'll laugh at him again? Does he have any control or is he grasping wildly? Was he a bullied child who turned people laughing at his natural state into a career, shielding behind a wig and teeth? Why isn't he deliberately funny?
So many questions, and I don't get it nor understand it and I don't like him for they vex me

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

I was nearly crying with laughter when the final task was making the host say a specific word with a question and the word was helicopter

Dara turned so red from laughter after Fern's contribution that I was concerned for his health

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Dara & Sara, Fern, and Munya are all excellent. Anyone can make a funny [something], a comedian can make [something] funny.

But the problematical one. Having seen clips of John's routine now, I'm not sure he understands what his crowd thinks is funny? I mean I don't, but does he? He plays a narrowminded character? who looks ugly and that's sort of it. Nothing's really heightened in his jokes, it's just... stuff a bad but real person would say. Is he just doing stuff he himself would do while looking more fake ugly? Are his people laughing at the twit stereotype alone? Are they laughing at jokes, or is Kearns desperately being random hoping they'll laugh at him again? Does he have any control or is he grasping wildly? Was he a bullied child who turned people laughing at his natural state into a career, shielding behind a wig and teeth? Why isn't he deliberately funny?
So many questions, and I don't get it nor understand it and I don't like him for they vex me

I don't get his humor, but I also don't get Liza Tarbuck's humor, and both of them are very popular from what I understand. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I cant shake the impression that Fern doesnt like Dara very much. She just seems pretty cold towards him especially when he's joking around. I dont know if the drawing a bird was the first team task but I dont think they got off on the right foot there.