Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

all ww2 kill stats for all the involved countries were inflated

the most inflated were tanks destroyed by planes, easily over 90% were imaginary

some of the kills were invented for propaganda purposes, but most were wrong just because irl it's very difficult to know what happened to the enemy, especially if you're in a fast plane diving at a tank and the only thing you see after your bomb has dropped is a smoke cloud

As I recall this was a particular problem in the pacific theatre because of a peculiarity of Japanese plane engines. Basically when they put the engine into overdrive to get maximum power out of it, that caused some of the oil to burn off and would produce thick, dark exhaust. And naturally when you find yourself getting shot at, one of the first things you might do is diving and slamming the engine on max to get away. So US pilots might find themselves shooting at a Japanese plane, see it suddenly start belching thick smoke and losing altitude, and conclude quite reasonably that they'd shot it down.

But yeah, usually overclaiming kills is a result of genuine honest mistakes. Thinking you hit something when you didn't, thinking you destroyed something when it was merely damaged and recoverable, or claiming something as a kill when another guy who also shot at it also claimed it for himself. Stories like that one Wehrmacht tank commander claiming 200 heavy tank kills when the Soviets didn't even have 200 tanks total in the area at the time (and none had reported any significant fighting) tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Claim inflation was endemic to everyone. An example:

15 August 1940 was a day of large raids in the battle of Britain. The Luftwaffe flew 2000 planes mainly on airfield raids over Britain. The RAF claimed 182 kills, but Luftwaffe losses were about 75. In turn the Luftwaffe made 108 claims while the RAF lost 34.

I know in the Luftwaffe at least this lead to some pretty poor intelligence where crews were frequently told that the RAF had virtually no planes left (Things were pretty dire, but they never ran so short as to stop squadrons intercepting.)

Jaguars! has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Oct 1, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There are also differences in reporting. Our own Ensign Expendable runs the Tank Archives blog (and has some published books) and it does a lot to dispel common myths about WW2 and translate documentation that most people never read.

During WW2, the Germans only counted a tank as a "loss" if it was truly destroyed and unsalvageable. The Soviets counted a "loss" as a tank knocked out or otherwise rendered useless in battle (such as by getting stuck and abandoned), even if they could recover it and return it to inventory. This was a large contributor to claims of the Soviets taking extreme losses to win battles and doing human wave attacks with cheap gear while the Germans took barely any by comparison, as both sides were counting kills in different ways and thus Soviet reports seemed to be listing insane amounts of tanks blown up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Blood brothers and the typical ritual associated with it has long been linked to Native American practices and is, you may not be surprised, complete bunkum.

However, it's origin is not likely to be from non-Native Americans, but from Germany - most likely adapted in stories about Native Americans from the likes of Karl May from old Scandinavian sagas.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
When the wokescolds come for Winnetou I'll have to act like my grandfather and .... do nothing. Unlike my grand uncle who had to walk back from Poland.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/petetoth/status/1576887653449859073

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I loving LOVE incidental historical documents. They're so much more revealing and relatable than the stuff written for prosperity.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samovar posted:

I loving LOVE incidental historical documents. They're so much more revealing and relatable than the stuff written for prosperity.

:yeah: they're the absolute best

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ye olde MTG player who loaned out his favorite combo deck.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

girl dick energy posted:

Ye olde MTG player who loaned out his favorite combo deck.

Dozens of letters found complaining that Ea-Nasir had actually sold the writers proxies of Black Lotus

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thetoughestbean posted:

Dozens of letters found complaining that Ea-Nasir had actually sold the writers proxies of Black Lotus
He made way too much money selling counterfeit Copper Tablets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So! This may not properly count since I'm sure it must still be practiced somewhere... But, nevertheless.

I was reading a book about the history of castration as you do and, in one of its chapters, it mentioned other forms of genital modification; circumcision, infibulation (the 'proper' name for FGM) but it also made mention of something called (and this is some :nws: stuff) called subincision. It is apparently a practice that was done, and maybe IS done by a number of separate civilizations throughout the world.

As far as I can tell, the Wikipedia article doesn't have a picture of the result, but you can see some on GIS. But I can assure you, it is truly cursed knowledge.

Edit: Guess I should have expanded the subheadings in the android settings of Wikipedia before writing that last paragraph.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Oct 10, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Samovar posted:

So! This may not properly count since I'm sure it must still be practiced somewhere... But, nevertheless.

I was reading a book about the history of castration as you do and, in one of its chapters, it mentioned other forms of genital modification; circumcision, infibulation (the 'proper' name for FGM) but it also made mention of something called (and this is some :nws: stuff) called subincision. It is apparently a practice that was done, and maybe IS done by a number of separate civilizations throughout the world.

As far as I can tell, the Wikipedia article doesn't have a picture of the result, but you can see some on GIS. But I can assure you, it is truly cursed knowledge.

This is adorable. Welcome to the internet :-)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Samovar posted:

Just fyi, your wikipedia is apparently different than my Wikipedia.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Papyrus labels from a labelmaker reading "PROPERTY OF NED FLANDERS"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the one where they just put a hole near the base so that they can plug it when it’s time to do their duty for the party?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is adorable. Welcome to the internet :-)

Fair enough. Then another piece of knowledge obtained from said book (thankfully much less mind cracking). Freud, in his claims regarding castration complexes, uses the term castration incorrectly. Because if, as he claims, when boys are made aware that girls do not have the same sex organs as they do, the boys think they have been castrated, Freud must have thought castration meant removal of both testes and penis, even though it is most definitely not the case.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Samovar posted:

Fair enough. Then another piece of knowledge obtained from said book (thankfully much less mind cracking). Freud, in his claims regarding castration complexes, uses the term castration incorrectly. Because if, as he claims, when boys are made aware that girls do not have the same sex organs as they do, the boys think they have been castrated, Freud must have thought castration meant removal of both testes and penis, even though it is most definitely not the case.

Have you seen pearling? Go google pearling

I met dudes who had one pearl for each year they spent in prison

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Samovar posted:

I thought that's how they did it in China and the Ottoman empire, even if in biological terms you just have to get the beans and can leave the frank.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
It's certainly easier and more failsafe. You just need a good choppy axe.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I was under the impression that's what emasculation literally meant.

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Nessus posted:

I thought that's how they did it in China and the Ottoman empire, even if in biological terms you just have to get the beans and can leave the frank.

IIRC in Ottoman empire most eunuchs just had their testicles removed, the palace guards got the full monty (probably because they were pretty much the only men who could enter the sultan's harem), they carried small silver tubes in folds of their turban that they used to direct their piss as a symbol of their status.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://twitter.com/livingarchitect/status/1579155836391559171

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

And people thought that restoration of Christ's portrait in Spain was bad...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm gonna spend the whole morning really annoyed with myself for clicking on the picture to see if there was more text

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1580812383630475266?s=20&t=kyokqu7PlsZ0LGOPC9jZhg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

He would probably have died of delirium tremens if he had gone one day without drinking at that point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

He would probably have died of delirium tremens if he had gone one day without drinking at that point.

yeah that is absolutely lethal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also i assume its 250cl per meal so a fifth per day minimum?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah that is absolutely lethal

When my father started out as a nurse he was placed on a remote island and one night he had to go knocking on doors, asking for anything with alcohol in it in order to save someone from dying of dt.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alhazred posted:

When my father started out as a nurse he was placed on a remote island and one night he had to go knocking on doors, asking for anything with alcohol in it in order to save someone from dying of dt.

was it him?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It was your mother.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Carthag Tuek posted:

how about Christopher Smart's cat Jeoffry (ca. 1760):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilate_Agno#Jeoffry

It’s good to know musing about your cat is something common across all times and cultures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ9ar8YMtvY

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Alhazred posted:

It was your mother.

OHHHHHHHHH

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

"nice". my dad got the same job but he was in a medium city so it wasnt so hard

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also gonna second the excellence of lu yu's cat poems

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

A nurse once told me they keep beer for just such cases in the hospital. If they don't like the patient they give them only the warm once.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I Love Loosies posted:

A nurse once told me they keep beer for just such cases in the hospital. If they don't like the patient they give them only the warm once.

It is prescribed and will come direct from nutrition :v:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My mother in law works in elder care and beer is both a prescription and a reward for good behavior. Budweiser is generally the preferred brand of dementia patients, fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Soul Dentist posted:

My mother in law works in elder care and beer is both a prescription and a reward for good behavior. Budweiser is generally the preferred brand of dementia patients, fyi

I assume this is one of those things that varies depending on the population. Find a hipster old folks' home and it'll all be craft brews.