Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I think I am playing Geralt too soft. So far I have spared the allgod, the godlings, both succubi, and every troll. I did murder some students for knocking over those shrines. Got a few peasants hanged.

This will pay off eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I think I am playing Geralt too soft. So far I have spared the allgod, the godlings, both succubi, and every troll. I did murder some students for knocking over those shrines. Got a few peasants hanged.

Canon Geralt is a huge softie, FYI.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Geralts whole, like, deal is understanding what species are really rolled into the monster category and dealing with them accordingly. Not sure wantonly killing Trolls and Godlings falls into that

There’s a really good side quest in Skellige that deals with all of that

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gerault kills monsters, and even then, usually only when he's getting paid.

Arc Hammer posted:

Succubi are harmless but their reputation precedes them

There's one who's a little suspect, but not really any proof either way.

Halloween Jack posted:

The Witcher is such a painfully straight franchise. We never meet an incubus, or a woman who isn't built like a lingerie model.

More seriously-

I guess also of the female characters, so many are somehow intended as love interests or otherwise embroiled in something saucy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Sorceresses are not exactly pinups before they glam themselves

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

The Sorceresses are not exactly pinups before they glam themselves

true, although i don't know if that makes it less male gazey

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ainsley McTree posted:

true, although i don't know if that makes it less male gazey

I just don't get why Wizards don't do the same thing, like can they not use the same magic Yennifer and Triss use to look like Yennifer and Triss to make themselves look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club or Johnny Depp before he started drinking his weight in wine every day? No, I will use my magic to live for 800 years and also look like I'm 800 years old.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mages tend to go for the "wise old man" look to jack up their market value to monarchs. Vilgefortz is an outlier who likes to look more handsome.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Mages tend to go for the "wise old man" look to jack up their market value to monarchs. Vilgefortz is an outlier who likes to look more handsome.

If my name was "mousesack" I'd make myself hot as hell just to confuse people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ainsley McTree posted:

If my name was "mousesack" I'd make myself hot as hell just to confuse people

CDPR translating his name as Ermion is both good for sounding better but also sad for depriving us of many jokes about his name being Mousesack.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

The way I see it, sorceresses make themselves younger and pretty, because kings want to have hot sorceresses around. Wizards go for the distinguished and wise look, because kings are less likely to want younger hotter men around making them look old and fat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Khizan posted:

The way I see it, sorceresses make themselves younger and pretty, because kings want to have hot sorceresses around. Wizards go for the distinguished and wise look, because kings are less likely to want younger hotter men around making them look old and fat.

Rasputin did well for himself until the Brits murdered him.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Rasputin had a female ruler to work with, so the basic rule for court wizards that you should look young and hot for ruler of opposite sex and look experienced and distinguished for ruler of same sex holds true.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Rasputin had a female ruler to work with, so the basic rule for court wizards that you should look young and hot for ruler of opposite sex and look experienced and distinguished for ruler of same sex holds true.

No he didn't

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lol, nope he indeed didn't. I always misremember and think he lived like 100-150 years earlier during Catharine the Great reign for some reason.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There were also many rumours that he was cucking the tsar, so the 'wise old man' thing doesn't even stop those.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The Witcher is such a painfully straight franchise. We never meet an incubus, or a woman who isn't built like a lingerie model.

I mean, this is the real answer. Whatever reasons we might contrive to explain away hot sorceresses and crusty man-Wizards, and for all the good things about Witcher 3, the bottom line is that the setting is heteronormative to its core.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i'm mostly straight, but i'd like to think that if i stayed hot and virile for 150 years i'd have experimented at some point

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

i am a moron posted:

Geralts whole, like, deal is understanding what species are really rolled into the monster category and dealing with them accordingly. Not sure wantonly killing Trolls and Godlings falls into that

This made me think what the most openly evil Geralt playthrough would look like

-kill the succubus, the godling, the doppler, etc
-kill the trolls with lambert you monster
-ally with gaunter o'dimm
-get the dumb brother elected as king of skellige
-let ciri die and radovid win the war
-try for a threesome

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
You forgot “go to bed early like Yen tells you to.”

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rasputin had them convinced he was the only one who could cure their only son's hemophilia. He wasn't competing against an array of other mystics for the position.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wolfsheim posted:

This made me think what the most openly evil Geralt playthrough would look like

-kill the succubus, the godling, the doppler, etc
-kill the trolls with lambert you monster
-ally with gaunter o'dimm
-get the dumb brother elected as king of skellige
-let ciri die and radovid win the war
-try for a threesome

Don't give Shani Wine, push Dijkstra hard. You monster.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Throw beehives at innocent dwarves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Throw beehives at innocent dwarves.

I do that like once a month, oh wait, you mean in the game.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I saved a village then accidentally killed several people trying to igni a beehive. I thought the peasant I accidentally burnt would live but he flailed his way into a Doom barrel and took some women and children with him when it exploded. "whoops"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yep, been there.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tried to play Geralt tougher and threw the baby in the oven but turns out that was the nice thing to do wtf. Plus what kind of leader is this Cerys? Tricking me into killing a baby and not battling the hym like a true Skelliger. Got me to murder those guards because of it. She is no queen.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Guard murdering is never brought up again. You’d have thought there’d be some blood-feud consequences given it happened in Skellige.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Plucky Brit posted:

Guard murdering is never brought up again. You’d have thought there’d be some blood-feud consequences given it happened in Skellige.

i just chose to take it as geralt cutting them up but not killing them

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm pissed you couldn't just knock them out with your fists, like you can in other circumstances. Seems like a better and sensible way to approach that situation.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i think its a limit of the game tbh, its a short moment and figuring out how to do combat where they are really trying to kill geralt and he just tries to incapacitate them might have just gotten cut

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

In other news I redid my ability points to ditch ranks in firestream and melt armor, which are useless as far as i can tell, and picked up magic trap and puppet mastery. So I can just stand in one place and throw fire bombs at bandits.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Plucky Brit posted:

The Jarl probably just paid the weregeld himself

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

TL;DR: Game crashes while loading, can't start a new one, already reinstalled, using Galaxy and not Steam.

I'm over 100 hours in and in the Blood and Wine DLC. It's been playing fine with minimal crashes to desktop. I save my progress (after getting the third quest from Olgierd) and quit. Hours later, I load up the save. It stalls out during the load towards the end. Other saves, same thing. New game, same thing.

I've done verify/repair. I've rebooted. I've disabled the overlay. I've reinstalled. What do I try next?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Maera Sior posted:

TL;DR: Game crashes while loading, can't start a new one, already reinstalled, using Galaxy and not Steam.

I'm over 100 hours in and in the Blood and Wine DLC. It's been playing fine with minimal crashes to desktop. I save my progress (after getting the third quest from Olgierd) and quit. Hours later, I load up the save. It stalls out during the load towards the end. Other saves, same thing. New game, same thing.

I've done verify/repair. I've rebooted. I've disabled the overlay. I've reinstalled. What do I try next?

Check your cloud save settings? Could be a sync issue there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maera Sior posted:

Any mods? Also, find your INI files and rename/delete/move them so the game creates a new one. Sometimes an INI setting, like incompatible screen resolution, can gently caress over an install.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Check your cloud save settings? Could be a sync issue there.

Would that impact starting a new game? Can't do one those either. Reinstalling GOG Galaxy and the game right now, can check the settings after it's done.

chaosapiant posted:

Any mods? Also, find your INI files and rename/delete/move them so the game creates a new one. Sometimes an INI setting, like incompatible screen resolution, can gently caress over an install.

No mods. Would reinstalling create new INI files?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maera Sior posted:

No mods. Would reinstalling create new INI files?

Usually, no. When a game is uninstalled most games keep their documents and settings folder and files intact. So if you uninstalled a year ago, and say bought a new monitor or something, and then reinstall, it can sometimes mean that the game is trying to launch in a now-unsupported resolution.

It might not strictly be a resolution issue either. That’s just a clearer example. If a reinstalled game won’t start, always move/rename/delete your ini files.

I say move or rename so that you have the original file if there’s some settings you still need access to.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Usually, no. When a game is uninstalled most games keep their documents and settings folder and files intact. So if you uninstalled a year ago, and say bought a new monitor or something, and then reinstall, it can sometimes mean that the game is trying to launch in a now-unsupported resolution.

It might not strictly be a resolution issue either. That’s just a clearer example. If a reinstalled game won’t start, always move/rename/delete your ini files.

I say move or rename so that you have the original file if there’s some settings you still need access to.

Thanks, I'll try that right now.

ETA: Nope, didn't work.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Arc Hammer posted:

Don't give Shani Wine, push Dijkstra hard. You monster.

I'm still annoyed at the option for this. It was like "shove Dijkstra out of the way" or something but then Geralt not only knocked him to the floor he then BREAKS HIS LEG?! Game, that is NOT what I chose