Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TrueHUD has them too, the gray numbers at the right end of the bars here though I dunno about how it works in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If y'all are using the BoBW patcher you may run into the lstring error I've mentioned before, which looks like this:

I posted about how using BoBW is better for most people on Reddit and someone said to remove the strings folder from Skyrim - Patch.bsa. Sure enough that fixes the missing lstrings, I presume by having the game load them from the 1.6 files:

Here's a fixed version of the file: Fixed Skyrim - Patch.bsa.

I suggest making an empty MO2 mod and putting this in there. Put the mod at the very top of the list on the left, right below the DLC Dragonborn entry and activate it. Check the Archives tab on the right to be sure it's loading right after the <Unmanaged> section.

You can drop it into the Data folder, too. But make a backup of the existing file there first of course.

This is deeper magic than I know, just cargo culting the solution here. So caveat emptor, etc.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

thanks for the rundown, that patcher looks like exactly what i need! had a fair bit of stuff working on 1.6, but hit a wall where all the youtubes i've been watching tout combat mods that rely on 1.5 animation frameworks.

feelin like i picked a pretty woeful time to try out modding though. this split patch poo poo is adding even more layers of complexity & points of failure to a process that's already overheating my tiny brain :cry:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Was playing survival mode and happy to unlock the airship in LOTD only to find out it can only be sent to someplace new while standing on the deck, and it treated me as standing outside for hours and I would arrive half frozen to death anytime I used it which kind of defeats the purpose of having a sort of fast travel if I need to then go inside and warm up for a few minutes anytime I used it.

Also, it wouldn't bring my horse with me, which again feels like a major flaw for doing survival mode.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
What behind this link could be?
A slimy dong or titty beast?
You'll never know until you click
so have a look and wish you didnt!

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/76953

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

*Adam West Batman voice* "Nice try, Riddler, I have my Bat-Adult Content Filter on!"

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

_jink posted:

thanks for the rundown, that patcher looks like exactly what i need! had a fair bit of stuff working on 1.6, but hit a wall where all the youtubes i've been watching tout combat mods that rely on 1.5 animation frameworks.

feelin like i picked a pretty woeful time to try out modding though. this split patch poo poo is adding even more layers of complexity & points of failure to a process that's already overheating my tiny brain :cry:

Yeah, it's definitely way more complicated to mod Skyrim than I remember from 2013 or 2014 lol. The multi-version stuff is part of it, but there are also so many options now as to how to munge the mods together, so many patches floating around etc.

Some of the stuff I've found useful with load order and my own patches, automated or not:
- LOOT comes up with very sensible load orders I find. I have a few overrides, but the majority of its suggestions just work.
- Mator Smash and Synthesis patchers are both awesome things, but I had to figure out how best to use them together. My list of Synthesis patchers has shrunk since Smashed Patches entered the picture, it does such a good job by default.
- Biggest trick I found was to disable the smashed patch and the synthesis patch and any others that follow in the load order when generating those patches like so:

- They don't stomp on each other this way. OWL is a special case and shouldn't be mixed into either's output and my own patches assume this setup.
- One unexpected benefit of this is that several items in the Synthesis output get to override their Smashed versions. This is useful in my load order, but may not be in the general case.
- I've put all config files into my own mod, so removing and re-adding mods doesn't lose me any configs. I just have to remember to copy any config files over before editing them:

This works partly because I've deliberately tried to avoid collisions between mods. No armor mods and just a couple of vanilla-like weapon mods for those leveled lists. Hardly anything that can conflict with the SimonRim mods. Which is to say I've got a pretty limited load order compared to normal I would guess.

E: Just got my rear end kicked pretty comprehensively in EmbersHARD a few times before I remembered I'd turned up the difficulty while testing lol. SimonRim is good stuff.

Dropping timescale to 10 has solved my issues with Frostfall and Last Seed. They were popping up a bit too much because of the default timescale of 20. May go down further to 6 or so, will see. It's good to have additional reasons to eat and sleep, but not when time is flowing quite so quickly.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 12, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Every time I get started I discover some other mod I should have paid more attention to when putting the load order together. Might as well get these fixed while I'm still in Riverwood.

I installed Follower Live Package early on when I was going to do Requiem because Wildlander uses it and I didn't want to spend time looking up the best follower mod, whatever that may mean.

But Faendal either roams far ahead to engage everyone by himself or is ultra passive even after combat starts if I ask him to wait until I engage from stealth. Also doesn't help when he's passively blocking me in a corridor while an angry orc charges me.

Looking at FLP in more detail I'm questioning the need for all the huge functionality it has - it has more functionality than any other single mod I've seen, no kidding. Pretty impressive effort.

What's a good follower mod where I just want them to be a bit more lifelike, don't engage enemies until I do and don't have to be smart enough to go shopping on their own? Yes, they can shop for you in FLP.

Nether Follower Framework seems to have its fans and is more recently maintained looks like. Is that pretty safe to install? Should I just forgo a follower mod? I don't plan to recruit arbitrary NPCs, just the ones from vanilla, 3DNPC and Inigo/Lucien.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 12, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
NFF is the by far best follower management mod basically ever made. Unfortunately, Nether himself lit his reputation on fire with some really dumb choices after Nexus instated it's no mod deletion policy and tried to feign ignorance that the site he uploaded NFF onto as a lifeboat was a haven for hundreds of insanely creepy child follower mods.

He's an idiot who unfortunately made a gold standard mod...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I use NFF and it's exactly what I want for standard/3dnpc followers. Sucks that Nether sucks but I'm not paying him and I didn't get the mod from any creep site so I'll continue to use it.

There's probably a lot of functionality that I'm not even using yet but it's allowed me to do everything I've wanted so far. Big for me was being able to assign any followers managed through it to a specific "home base" that the mod can set. I use Blackthorn and Blackthorn has a follower barracks building that I've been sending all of my adventurer friends who I've grown tired of to. It's nice to have them all in one place in case I want to use them again.

It also helped me fix a bug with a 3dnpc follower last night. I told a follower to wait but she didn't have a dialogue option to follow me again and so she was stuck until I used the "Command Followers" power that I assume came from NFF and I was able to make her follow me again.

I know that NFF has a lot of equipment management and outfit tools but they confuse me a little so I haven't messed with that much. I need to find like a video demonstrating it. I was trying with Lydia at one point and I just kept ending up with her naked.

The custom script followers like Lucien can't be managed with NFF but that hasn't been a big deal for me. The other ones I'm using that don't work with NFF are Arissa and Kaidan for reference.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks, I'll go with NFF.

Just ran into all the Nether stuff in a reddit thread when looking for opinions on the mod. Extremely creepy and now I'm pretty loving sure I'm not clicking on any link for any mod content ever that is not hosted on one of the well known sites. Like ever.

Blackthorn looks really neat. There is just so much stuff out for this game I don't know about.

Not going to install it this run because I'll be damned before I let anything LOD-related near my install again, sick of redoing xLOD and DyndoLOD - takes about 2:15 on the Deck with all the quest worldspaces I've already put in. And Dyndo at least has some weird race conditions that can cause it to hang one run but then work if you re-run right away. So does Synthesis, but that only take a minute or 2 worst case.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm having an unfortunate issue with Jarl Balgruuf. Ever since the Battle of Whiterun he's been following me around, initiating conversations only to act as if I was the one to do so. He's got some leftover trigger from that civil war quest, but can't actually deliver whatever dialogue he was originally meant to say, leaving him stuck in a loop. The only similar issue I've found online involves bounties, but I don't have a current bounty anywhere, so it's not that. I still have a far bit of the main quest left, including the dragon capture. Could it be that I could fix this issue by simply doing the main quest until Balgruuf gets a genuine conversation prompt to overwrite the "empty" one he has now? That is assuming the whole quest won't break with him not even being within the city walls.

I've also tried doing the resetai console command on him, but that didn't change anything.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not to rub it in, and I know this isn't an immediate help, but I've always heard the civil war quest line is among the buggiest in Skyrim, so reloading from the battle may be the best bet...

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Ive uninstalled living skyrim 3 and want to know what wabbajack I should try next. One of those dark souls/requiem onces sounds nice, but im unsure where to go. I tried to look into Aldanari but besides install music and a love for folklore music I couldnt make out what the mod list did different

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Could you jump ahead to the end stage of the quest? https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Battle_for_Whiterun_(Imperial) has them listed.

Or maybe try starting the next quest's first stage? https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Civil_War

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

See the problem is I've fully completed the Civil War questline, whatever initiated this bug would've been like ten hours of gameplay ago. It's my fault for not having addressed it immediately the first time I spotted it, hopefully it won't actively break other quests.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

v1ld posted:

Yeah, it's definitely way more complicated to mod Skyrim than I remember from 2013 or 2014 lol. The multi-version stuff is part of it, but there are also so many options now as to how to munge the mods together, so many patches floating around etc.

Some of the stuff I've found useful with load order and my own patches, automated or not:
- LOOT comes up with very sensible load orders I find. I have a few overrides, but the majority of its suggestions just work.
- Mator Smash and Synthesis patchers are both awesome things, but I had to figure out how best to use them together. My list of Synthesis patchers has shrunk since Smashed Patches entered the picture, it does such a good job by default.
- Biggest trick I found was to disable the smashed patch and the synthesis patch and any others that follow in the load order when generating those patches like so:

- They don't stomp on each other this way. OWL is a special case and shouldn't be mixed into either's output and my own patches assume this setup.
- One unexpected benefit of this is that several items in the Synthesis output get to override their Smashed versions. This is useful in my load order, but may not be in the general case.
- I've put all config files into my own mod, so removing and re-adding mods doesn't lose me any configs. I just have to remember to copy any config files over before editing them:

This works partly because I've deliberately tried to avoid collisions between mods. No armor mods and just a couple of vanilla-like weapon mods for those leveled lists. Hardly anything that can conflict with the SimonRim mods. Which is to say I've got a pretty limited load order compared to normal I would guess.

E: Just got my rear end kicked pretty comprehensively in EmbersHARD a few times before I remembered I'd turned up the difficulty while testing lol. SimonRim is good stuff.

Dropping timescale to 10 has solved my issues with Frostfall and Last Seed. They were popping up a bit too much because of the default timescale of 20. May go down further to 6 or so, will see. It's good to have additional reasons to eat and sleep, but not when time is flowing quite so quickly.

Can you help me understand mator smashed?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

You can try enable / disable on him. Dunno what that could break, though.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

Can you help me understand mator smashed?

The video below covers what it does, but here's the short summary:
- You use it to create a Smashed Patch that covers all your mods. This is much like a Bashed Patch and smushes together records that would otherwise conflict and hide each other. It's pretty intelligent.
- Add Mator Smash to MO2 like you would any other tool.
- When you launch it, it will give you a list of all your plugins, just click OK.
- The next, main window shows all your plugins again and you have to select the ones you want to add to the Smashed Patch. Here's a random image from the internet:

- This has plugins in first column, what you want to do with it in the middle, and the patch it should go into if any in the final column.
- Your first step is to select all the plugins you want to include in the final patch - that's everything not marked as "skip" in the middle column in the picture above. I include all plugins except the first for reasons below.
- Select all the plugins except Skyrim.esm at the very top and any others you want to exclude. Easiest is to click on the second plugin and then shift-click on the last one so that all but the first is selected.
- Right click on the selected plugins and select the first option that says "Add to patch" as in the image. Select new patch or if you're running it again later, select the patch you created the first time. The 3rd column will then show the patch name.
- Name it "Smashed Patch" or whatever name you like.
- Then right click on that same selection and choose "Smash setting" then "Smash" and finally "Smash.All" - the picture is choosing a different option, you want Smash.All which is where the magic is. Apocalypse shows Smash.All in the picture.

Now click the big green arrow in the top left and wait for the Smashed Patch.esp to be produced. Close the program by hitting the X in the top right to have the patch saved, there's no button for it.

The reason I pick all my plugins except the few at the end as in the other post is that Smash will first merge all the records using some very clever rules. It will then do an ITPO pass where it removes redundant ones, leaving just the necessary ones. Takes longer with more plugins but it's worth it.

Good luck!

More details in this excellent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wSAB1FrXa4

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a mod to make npc mage enemies stop using wards? They make playing a destruction character extremely annoying.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I had to take a couple of calls while writing that, so it's more of a how to do than what Smash is. Here's more of the motivation for it.

Mods - esms and esps and esls here - work by creating new records and also overriding existing records in the game's base files: skyrim.esm, update.esm, dawnguard.esm, etc. But multiple mods can override the same records, leading to conflicts. The game just picks the record from the file that's lowest in your load order if there are multiple records that clash - this isn't good at all.

An easy example from my load order is that "v1ld Last Seed - Apothecary' patch, where both those mods redefine how certain food items should work. Last Seed manipulates how it reduces hunger, while Apothecary makes them rejuvenate your stamina/health/magicka. Only one of those records can be used by the game.

Bash and Mator Smash take those conflicting records and mash them together to get a combined record with features from both mods. They do it in different ways - Bash has tags, Mator Smash has settings. Mator Smash's approach is a bit more sophisticated, quite a bit more actually, because it's far more recent than Bash.

The Smash.All patch brings together a bunch of Smash Settings to handle records in a very intelligent way. It's not perfect but I'd guess it has handled more than 95% of the conflicts in my load order in an intelligent way.

In some cases, none of these tools can do the right thing - that's why I leave the OWL plugins out of the smashed patch, OWL breaks the normal rules to achieve its goal. Another example is that Last Seed v Apothecary conflict. I don't want those food records mashed together, they'd be too powerful, so I created a small patch where I override everything with the Last Seed foods because that's what I want those foods to do in my game - neither tool can know that.

Used properly, Bash and Mator Smash can auto-resolve a lot of conflicting records for you.

Synthesis takes a different approach, but it's trying to solve similar problems, by the way. Whereas these tools help you resolve conflicts between records in different mods, synthesis lets you write C# code - patchers - that are then allowed to operate on all the mods in your load order. Those patchers get to read all the conflicting records, pick one, edit it with whatever extra data it wants to add or change, and then write it out to a synthesis.esp file. That file like the smashed patch will load really late in your load order and override records as needed.

Here's an example of where a synthesis patcher is useful. I use Precision for accurate collisions and while that mod handles getting the real length of weapons itself, the AI in the game uses inaccurate vanilla data. So there's a patcher that overrides each weapon with a more accurate length - this is not easy to do as a mod because the mod can't know what weapons are in your modded game. But a synthesis patcher can just look at every weapon record in my game and modify it, easy peasy. It doesn't have to guess, it just looks at every record.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 13, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pontificating rear end posted:

What behind this link could be?
A slimy dong or titty beast?
You'll never know until you click
so have a look and wish you didnt!

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/76953

Need to put some tits sexy potatoes on that mudcrab

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The skyrim mod discords I was on used to say you should only do the civil war when you are basically done with a save since it'll likely screw up quests afterwards. I dunno since I haven't done the civil war in many years. I wish there was some kinda independent option or at least just be able to challenge Ulfric and shout him apart without the rest.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm having an unfortunate issue with Jarl Balgruuf. Ever since the Battle of Whiterun he's been following me around, initiating conversations only to act as if I was the one to do so

That's so Skyrim

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

The skyrim mod discords I was on used to say you should only do the civil war when you are basically done with a save since it'll likely screw up quests afterwards. I dunno since I haven't done the civil war in many years.

I'm over 280 hours into this playthrough so I've done a lot of sidequests and such that I imagine would've been affected by the fall of the stormcloaks (yes including Blood on the Ice) so hopefully I've dodged most of those problems.

One of the mods included in Septimus (3) expands on NPCs that normally only appear for the duration of a quest and then disappear from the world, so during the Battle of Windhelm I actually ended up taking down Avulstein Gray-Mane and his buddies, who I'd months ago helped with breaking his brother out of Thalmor prison. The mod makes them hang out around the Palace of the Kings as extra muscle, but during the battle they were just sort of deposited in a corner outside. Guess the mod maker didn't plan for somebody to help them only to take down the Stormcloaks anyway.

I've also noticed that the normally quite talkative Lucien and Inigo have had genuinely nothing to say about the entire civil war questline, other than their regular voice lines about not liking Windhelm. Guess it's something they didn't really want to touch, like most of the Daedric quests.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

v1ld posted:

TrueHUD has them too, the gray numbers at the right end of the bars here though I dunno about how it works in VR.

Thanks, this and floating damage don't work in VR sadly, oh well.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've also noticed that the normally quite talkative Lucien and Inigo have had genuinely nothing to say about the entire civil war questline, other than their regular voice lines about not liking Windhelm. Guess it's something they didn't really want to touch, like most of the Daedric quests.

Lucien has a couple lines suggesting he's strongly pro-empire during Season Unending. I felt compelled to check if he'd do anything if I joined the Stormcloaks because of it, and he doesn't. I could guess that the author wants to avoid making him a companion who 'whines or leaves' when you do something against his morals, because a lot of players don't like that. I'd respect the mod for it more myself though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greaseman posted:

Lucien has a couple lines suggesting he's strongly pro-empire during Season Unending. I felt compelled to check if he'd do anything if I joined the Stormcloaks because of it, and he doesn't. I could guess that the author wants to avoid making him a companion who 'whines or leaves' when you do something against his morals, because a lot of players don't like that. I'd respect the mod for it more myself though.
I grew up playing Baldur's Gate, so I'd absolutely respect the mod author for making the character leave your service if you do something they don't like.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wouldn't have a problem if Lucien left you for joining the Stormcloaks or whatever, but I also respect maybe the author either didn't like or didn't care enough abut joining the Stormcloaks so they just didn't want to create extra content for that possibility. You have to roleplay a (possibly self loathing) racist to do the Stormcloak thing anyways

Also while we're talking about Lucien, is there a way to cheat him better stats? I'm playing a sword and boarder and I want him as a mage and his skill in destruction is 11 and he only gets 3 random points in mage skills every three days if I don't train him. I'm in the 40s and 50s with all of my relevant combat stats.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lucien is from the Imperial City, so yeah he'd be likely pro Empire naturally. I can't remember if he says anything Ulfric specifically or whether he's just generally anti Windhelm. He's fascinated if you become a werewolf though because Science! and has a few lines about that and the Companions transformations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Okay I'm going to requote myself for some help and also I have an additional question.

First, my initial questions related to some Blackthorn Manor glitches that I'm wondering if I can solve or if I should just deal with it:

Epi Lepi posted:

Can anyone shed some light on if there's anything I should/could do about a bug I'm experiencing?

My Septimus 2 playthrough that I started in January has been very stable and I have been using Blackthorn as my base of operations and it has been very cool. But some weapons will not stay on the weapon mounts and at least one of the storage chests seems to be dropping duplicated items into my foyer somehow. I actually lost one weapon, a random frost enchated whip I encountered called Borealis. I had it on a wall mount and it seems to have fallen off and into the geometry, I can't find it again. It and two other weapons, the Sunder Replica from the Moon & Star mod and a hammer called Doriana's Hammer, will not stay on any rack or wall mounts and when I put the latter two into a chest in Blackthorn Manor's trophy room duplicates somehow show up in front of the front door every so often. Not sure if it's every time I leave and come back or every time I sleep in the manor or what.

Oh, another thing I'm not sure is a bug, there are mounts for each of the dragon priest masks but when I place the one I have on the bust it doesn't visually show up. Should it?

Second, part of Septimus 2 was the Serana Relationship Revamped mod. When I installed back in January that mod was on 1.1Beta, and now it's on 1.3 and has a lot of changes. I have not met Serana yet in my playthrough so I am debating updating the mod. The mod author says that a fresh playthrough is obviously for the best but the worst case scenario is the scripts don't fire for some reason. Does that imply that my worst case scenario is that Serana will not work at all or that the mod will not work at all but base Serana will still function? I'm probably going to go ahead and risk it as while I'd like to do Dawnguard again and experience modded Serana, I have done Dawnguard in the past and I could live with not doing it again on this playthrough. I just want to set my expectations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Can't help with either of ^^^ I'm afraid.

I've finally finally got underway with this run, completed Riverwood stuff and the game feels very good.

I'm thinking of doing a bunch of quest mods and the DLCs as well as just free-form roaming the world instead of doing the main quest or the civil war again, ditto the guilds. Viewing the companion mods I've added as more quest stuff, where spending time with them and doing their quests will be fun new content: have Lucien and Inigo + 3D / Interesting NPCs for this part.

I do want to keep the run a bit balanced where there's always at least the danger of dying to keep gameplay and the build relevant. I get bored once the char is too op and starts steamrolling everything, no matter how good the quests are.

Thinking of heading to Falkreath and Riften to pick up Lucien and Inigo next to maximize time spent with their dialogs. Is this a bad idea, will they be too OP? Given Arena + OWL I can go pretty much anywhere with bandits for quite a few levels, which is nice - don't want to just repeat the main quest path.

Running Interesting Follower Requirements for Interesting NPCs so I can't pick up those NPCs for a while yet.

Game feels pretty well balanced on Adept (Normal) with Faendal along. Playing 3rd person with mods like Precision and the animation commitment mods + SCAR also adds to that difficulty.

I'm thinking of playing a Battlemage with spell in left and sword in right wearing robes with Hand2Hand's nice armor module and Alteration tree that now lets you use heavy or light armor in the other slots.

SimonRim is good.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 14, 2022

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah I'd support getting Lucien and Inigo as early as possible, otherwise after hiring them you'll have to spend time listening to them going through all the comments they would've made in reaction to the things you've already done. The longer you put off hiring them, the more they'll chatter once you do.

e: Lucien starts off as a level 1 coward nerd. He's got no combat skills whatsoever, not even magic. Knows a lot of lore and tidbits though, good source of exposition. Inigo is decently strong and experienced right off the bat and will basically pull double duty for Lucien and himself. He is very much aware that this is the case.

e2: I do quite a bit of battlemage stuff and I'll say this: be prepared to unequip your spell a lot whenever you feel like blocking or bashing somebody with your sword. Unless of course there's an actual mod out there that makes this less of a hassle.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 15, 2022

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There are a number of dual wield block mods that let you assign a dedicated block key (I use middle mouse) that also work for sword + spell. The particular one I use is someone's homebrew off a discord, but I think most dual wield block will work. I used it extensively in my wuxia character who was usually spell + unarmed.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm gonna find out there's already one included in Septimus 3, aren't I

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I have a backup shield and am using iEquip to rotate gear through the slots, but that dual wield block mod idea is great.

Thanks for the Lucien/Inigo info, gonna go get them right away. Be nice to head South right away for a change. I think I'll leave even Bleak Falls Barrow till I've gotten them, do it on the way back up North.

This is why fully unleveled Skyrim is a bit too inflexible for how I want to play this run. Arena handles it nicely.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Inigo and Lucien are good companions, but I've never really liked the follower gameplay in Bethesda games. Beyond the pathfinding and scripting issues if they aren't marked essential they don't last very long, but if they are they end up tanking too much as npcs are slow to switch target. I find it makes the game significantly easier.

It'd be nice to see companions that don't fight or pathfind in a Cyberpunk Johnny kinda way. There's a magic sword follower mod but it's buggy and oddly horny.

Maybe in Starfield we can have AI buddies living in our suit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

There's a magic sword follower mod but it's buggy and oddly horny.

Its Xenoblade 2?

E:

Holy poo poo :lmao:

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 15, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Accidentally launched MO2 with an empty mod folder as I was shuffling files and thought I put the mod folder back but didn't. Completely wiped out mod list, and now I need to redo the entire thing by hand, and I'm so mad over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm gonna find out there's already one included in Septimus 3, aren't I

there's not, you're not missing one