Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

fsif posted:

Apologies for being so dense, but how does Miami get any optics wins for having Bridgewater active as a backup? I don't think there are a chorus of people who demand Teddy sit in the first place, but if there were, why would they be okay with him being a backup? It's okay to risk his health in this case because there's only like a 3% chance he sees the field?

That feels like the worst of both worlds—they're playing the worse QB while also not really getting points for protecting their players.

I think it's more a combination of all the factors. I'd guess Skylar is starting because he actually got the full week of practice with some additional influence from not wanting to repeat the Tua incident, and at least on the former after seeing Teddy's spot starts I can't really blame the coaching staff for it. I imagine they still probably rate Teddy with no practice above Sinnett and that's why he's the backup. That certainly flies in the face of the aforementioned optics concern, but from an overall franchise perspective having 3 QBs knocked out in 3 weeks (and Teddy twice, in this worst case scenario) is a bigger disaster than being lit up in the media for another week because Teddy gets concussed as the backup QB.

I think it's still very possible that Teddy actually was concussed and the Miami beat coverage selectively reported some of this stuff over the course of the week, but Teddy dressing but not starting doesn't rule out the optics IMO.

stuker fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

certainly i miss brian flores' hot start to any given season, without a doubt

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
If Flores coached, Tua would never have been injured since he’d be benched halfway through the Ravens game, and our defense would be 11% better. Also we’d be 1-4.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay, I'll stop belaboring this point in a second because I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is completely insane logic.

BUT, if I understand the optics calculation correctly, Miami has a certain risk tolerance for the negative PR they'd (theoretically) receive if Teddy Bridgewater sustained a head injury next week. The percentage chance he sustains a head injury as a starter is too high for them; the percentage chance that Skylar has to leave the game and Teddy has to enter in relief and THEN sustains a head injury is significantly lower. They're queasy about the former, but willing to roll the dice on the latter.

(And, importantly, Miami believes that no one will care to notice the obvious point that they are willing to protect Teddy's health JUST SO LONG as Reid Sinnett doesn't have to take a snap.)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Seems like you get it.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

I mean I think there's a legitimate chance they think Skylar gives them a better chance to win this week after getting a full week of practice which factors into Teddy not starting. That could be very dumb and he lays an egg against the Vikings, but again Teddy has not looked great when forced into the game in Tua's previous departures. I know I had some hope that he would look better after a week working with the starters before the Jets game, and I guess I'm extending that logic to Skylar now this following week. Regarding optics in general, if Miami didn't care about them then I'm not sure why they'd have announced Tua being out or specifically mention that Bridgewater would be the expected backup as early as they did-- those data points are certainly helpful to an opponent.

e: Flores stuff made me realize, the "who should be the starting/backup QB" conversation is a nice callback to last season

stuker fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 15, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

(And, importantly, Miami believes that no one will care to notice the obvious point that they are willing to protect Teddy's health JUST SO LONG as Reid Sinnett doesn't have to take a snap.)

I have no idea what anyone in the Dolphins org thinks but the idea that nobody cares as long as no one gets hosed up on camera is absolutely correct. We’ve seen Wilson literally just blow of a concussion check and put himself back in the game. Mahomes has taken bad hits a couple of times and been cleared basically immediately and played the next week. In those cases they made it through the games without incident and everyone just forgot and moved on.

But McDaniel didn’t claim that Teddy was being moved to backup out of concern for his health. There’s no gotcha there.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hey look, a happy ending.

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1581123379146686465

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This might be kind of old. But the Badlands guys (mostly Connor Rogers) did an absolutely incredible film session on the play design of the Breece Hall 79 yard wheel. Everything about it is hilarious—LaFleur literally had 3 Miami defenders running into each other with no idea where Breece Hall was and it’s very cool to see how they drew it up.

Anyways I’m excited for Sunday. Those are famous last words.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 15, 2022

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This has me wondering what the scene would look like if Snyder pushed his wife off the yacht tragically lost his spouse and remarried. Obviously people will turn out for a freaking billionaire’s party, but would he be able to pull talent like Elton John to play for him? Just how much does the entire world despise him?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gross

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol great wedding outfit. he looks like a billionaire from the waist up, and my dad after a trip to the outlet mall from the waist down.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Love to see it.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBillsPR/status/1580981773562880001?s=20&t=mc8JxekFrs4VITv3DfpK8g

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Wow

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tua cleared. Should play next week.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1581279653557587969?s=20&t=2r4eCuD_nDTXHewP1xYW5Q

Teddy also cleared and active tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1581282306199027712?s=20&t=8_kA-OsYtLRQZiAvbN2Jrw

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Yesss

The Bills got the good heal spells

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

pasaluki posted:

Yesss

The Bills got the good heal spells
I'm sure they'll pick style more up but at least it's a bye week after that. They ought to smash Greenbay the way both teams have been playing, but Rodgers will probably decided that the week to start looking like another mvp.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1581331751913213952

Agholor, whatever, but Jon Jones is a big deal. Luckily the other two Jones (Jack and Marcus) have been stepping up to various degrees already, so hopefully it continues

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

That seems surprisingly early, it's been a little over two weeks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1581383114173341696

Jets are giving up on Cager I guess. I wonder who sits for Curry, I hope it's not Bryce Huff.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1581383114173341696

Jets are giving up on Cager I guess. I wonder who sits for Curry, I hope it's not Bryce Huff.

Jeremiah Johnson is hurt and not playing, so I figured Curry would get his spot. I can’t imagine it would be Huff. He’s been a demon in pass rush situations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Hamhandler posted:

That seems surprisingly early, it's been a little over two weeks.

As soon as he wasn’t paralyzed this was always going to happen

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Well, that should give him a nice easy comeback game against the decrepit remains of what was the Steelers' defense.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Sunday Night Football so if something terrible happens everyone will be watching again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Jeremiah Johnson is hurt and not playing, so I figured Curry would get his spot. I can’t imagine it would be Huff. He’s been a demon in pass rush situations.

Oh right I forgot JJ was down.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nosre posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1581331751913213952

Agholor, whatever, but Jon Jones is a big deal. Luckily the other two Jones (Jack and Marcus) have been stepping up to various degrees already, so hopefully it continues

Agholor is addition by subtraction. One less interception hot potatoed into a defenders hands.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

TheBizzness posted:

As soon as he wasn’t paralyzed this was always going to happen

I don't think the Dolphins are doing anything at this point without the NFL's explicit say-so and an eye towards PR.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Re: CMC

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1581415254428647425?s=20&t=4TOBVH4lYIGi-ShmcVoX6w

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You know he's getting hurt the week after you trade for him.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

mcmagic posted:

You know he's getting hurt the week after you trade for him.
Also I'm honestly not sure it would help our running game much, just because we're so wretched at run blocking (though I'm not sure that the brass sees it that way).
He would probably be a sweet outlet receiver for the few quarters he would have before his ankle snaps like a twig or something though.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'd like CMC on the team but I don't know what I'd give up for him. I assume he'd just be a one year rental and it feels like there are about even odds that he'd be the final piece for the offense or be a total non-factor.

Guess I'd pretty enthusiastically give up a 4th or less, be fairly pensive about a 3rd, and say "definitely not" about a 2nd or more.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

His contract really balloons next season. His 2023 dead cap number is like 18 million, and 11 million in 2024. I’m sure there’s some restructuring shenanigans that can make it more palatable but (to my limited understanding of contract/cap crap) trading for CMC would be a multi year investment. You really gotta believe he’s the missing piece.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Oh right I forgot JJ was down.

For some reason I keep saying Jeremiah Johnson instead of Jermaine. I’m not quite sure if it’s an autocorrect thing or me just losing my marbles.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

His contract really balloons next season. His 2023 dead cap number is like 18 million, and 11 million in 2024. I’m sure there’s some restructuring shenanigans that can make it more palatable but (to my limited understanding of contract/cap crap) trading for CMC would be a multi year investment. You really gotta believe he’s the missing piece.

My understanding from various tweeters was that Carolina would have to eat a ton of dead cap and the CMC recipient is essentially free to cut him after this year without penalty.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

fsif posted:

My understanding from various tweeters was that Carolina would have to eat a ton of dead cap and the CMC recipient is essentially free to cut him after this year without penalty.

Oh that’s not bad then. A one year rental is worth a 4:5

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I thought much of the point in Carolina moving their best player was to get out of cap hell for next year. If they are willing to take on all the financial burden and risk then yeah that becomes a LOT more tempting.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I thought much of the point in Carolina moving their best player was to get out of cap hell for next year. If they are willing to take on all the financial burden and risk then yeah that becomes a LOT more tempting.

He’s not even their most desirable player on offense

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I think McCaffrey is probably a shell of himself but that’s still good enough to win Buffalo a ring before he disappears into the ether.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CMC is a hell of a weapon in the passing game as well. They probably should have traded up for Breece Hall in the draft but barring that, I’d probably pull the trigger on a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd. It’s Super Bowl or bust already. Just go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

McCaffery is going to hit Carolinas cap for 18 million if they trade him or 19 million if they don’t. It barely helps them at all from a cap perspective. But it does clear him from their books in 2024 and 2025 when he has cap hits of 19 and 15 million.