Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Shadow0 posted:

Huh, they added a new "user history" button.

that means they made you IK (or Mod, but you're an IK).

According to your profile In LP. Happened to me too once, people will message you about changing thread titles now.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol that he got buttons without realizing

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I didn't realize either when it happened to me. Noticed the user history button, someone told me that's a thing only mods see. No one told me until several hours after I started panicking in a discord about someone somehow making me a mod. Thankfully it was just IK-ship. I think they do that on purpose.

E: by they I specifically mean Sally.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

think of all the extra buttons jeffrey must have

probably looks like internet explorer with every toolbar installed when he's logged in

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He just has one button and it deletes the forums

Better hope it's not Tuesday :ohdear:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Rarity posted:

He just has one button and it deletes the forums

Better hope it's not Tuesday :ohdear:

don't worry

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Taking a break from more serious questions to answer this prompt with a story.

A few weeks before nu-FYAD was ultimately closed, I was reading forums code. I had just started learning the codebase, being pretty new at the time. I found the "delete forum" button in the admin panel, and went to check out the code to see what it did. I was pretty aghast at what I found - it was incredibly destructive. It not only permanently and irrecoverably deleted the forum itself, it went through every non-archived thread ever made in that forum, and deleted them, along with every post in each of those threads. As far as I could tell, it had not been used in years, as even LF and old BYOB and Helldump were not deleted in this way. I hastily removed this code and replaced it with a message that printed "We do not burn the Library of Alexandria and we do not delete forums." I figured I was being paranoid and it wouldn't come to that, but I did it anyway. Forums can be closed and hidden without being deleted and that ought to be enough for anyone.

Of course, just a few weeks later, lowtax calls me on the phone to say "I'm deleting FYAD". I'm upset to say the least. We get off the phone and fifteen minutes later he calls me back and says "it's not letting me delete fyad, the button doesn't work". I hastily explained, "uhh, try closing it." He was willing to delete 5+ years of posts just like that, without a second thought. I'd love to say it was only my clever and just-in-time code changes that prevented this fate, but I can't quite. If that feature still had worked, well, at least he didn't think to scroll down the page past Vichy FYAD - it might have been good for something. My actions did save a few good fyad threads that had been moved to Vichy FYAD

I hope this communicates what I think about the idea of "deleting forums". I don't really see it as on the table. It was dumb that people were calling for that with FYAD, and it's dumb when people call for it with CSPAM/D&D/GBS/TFR/whatever else. You expressed the harm it causes better than I ever could and I endorse your platform here as my own.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I had buttons once :(

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shadow0 posted:

Huh, they added a new "user history" button.

congrats OP you now have IK buttons in LP!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bad Purchase posted:

think of all the extra buttons jeffrey must have

probably looks like internet explorer with every toolbar installed when he's logged in

Oh man, the thread tag thread in QCS took me back to webring days.

Grats on the buttons traveler.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Thread continues to deliver!

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
OP just chain probe yourself until saturday so you get out of having to do an mmo thread

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The self probe was :discourse:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:lol:
The one reason I am jealous of posters with buttons

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

sigher posted:

The self probe was :discourse:

Eh, it'll only be good if...

teen phone cutie posted:

OP just chain probe yourself

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
The FYAD probes were expected, but this latest development was a nice surprise. Keep it coming OP.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

quote:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:
Taking a break from more serious questions to answer this prompt with a story.

A few weeks before nu-FYAD was ultimately closed, I was reading forums code. I had just started learning the codebase, being pretty new at the time. I found the "delete forum" button in the admin panel, and went to check out the code to see what it did. I was pretty aghast at what I found - it was incredibly destructive. It not only permanently and irrecoverably deleted the forum itself, it went through every non-archived thread ever made in that forum, and deleted them, along with every post in each of those threads. As far as I could tell, it had not been used in years, as even LF and old BYOB and Helldump were not deleted in this way. I hastily removed this code and replaced it with a message that printed "We do not burn the Library of Alexandria and we do not delete forums." I figured I was being paranoid and it wouldn't come to that, but I did it anyway. Forums can be closed and hidden without being deleted and that ought to be enough for anyone.

Of course, just a few weeks later, lowtax calls me on the phone to say "I'm deleting FYAD". I'm upset to say the least. We get off the phone and fifteen minutes later he calls me back and says "it's not letting me delete fyad, the button doesn't work". I hastily explained, "uhh, try closing it." He was willing to delete 5+ years of posts just like that, without a second thought. I'd love to say it was only my clever and just-in-time code changes that prevented this fate, but I can't quite. If that feature still had worked, well, at least he didn't think to scroll down the page past Vichy FYAD - it might have been good for something. My actions did save a few good fyad threads that had been moved to Vichy FYAD

I hope this communicates what I think about the idea of "deleting forums". I don't really see it as on the table. It was dumb that people were calling for that with FYAD, and it's dumb when people call for it with CSPAM/D&D/GBS/TFR/whatever else. You expressed the harm it causes better than I ever could and I endorse your platform here as my own.

Wow. Turns out the internet is serious.

This is a great thread. Mods popping outta nowhere. OP probed then modded. Bit of a rollercoaster.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
At the end shadow becomes a full admin and all future mods must follow in his posting path, setting the trend for years to come.

Truly magnificent

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I specifically asked you not to get mugged, op. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i was an IK for almost a year without realizing it once

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! 🧙‍♂️ Your favorite feature they added to your MMO

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 15, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Could you link your threads when you announce them?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

sebmojo posted:

Could you link your threads when you announce them?

And/or link then in the OP, on the date schedule list?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Bananana posted:

And/or link then in the OP, on the date schedule list?

They are, you just have to scroll way to the right because of how the code formatting works. Announcement links would be nice, though, just to avoid so much jumping around in the thread.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol, I'm stupid

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I tried too hard to imitate them without making something I didn't want to have attached to this thread. It's not my style of comedy. It happens.
I don't think it's so easy you can just say "just be funny". FYAD has a specific style. And they're very clever and funny in their own way. But the funniest GBS or BYOB thread in the world might get gassed there.

Pro-tip (pity you didn't heed my previous one): The given ban reason and perhaps some of their typical BS protestations in response to this post may all be safely ignored. FYAD literally hates practically every GBS regular who isn't already a FYADer. If you post there again, ever, you can almost certainly wave byebye to your account. They'd either find some manipulative way to ban it (and they've stacked QCS with their own so it wouldn't be worth appealing), or they'd chain probe it forever.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Steve? You okay, man?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

BigBadSteve posted:

Pro-tip (pity you didn't heed my previous one): The given ban reason and perhaps some of their typical BS protestations in response to this post may all be safely ignored. FYAD literally hates practically every GBS regular who isn't already a FYADer. If you post there again, ever, you can almost certainly wave byebye to your account. They'd either find some manipulative way to ban it (and they've stacked QCS with their own so it wouldn't be worth appealing), or they'd chain probe it forever.

Tell me more about this like it's a computer virus that you can get by simply looking at a hyperlink.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BigBadSteve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJzWEYeUT6U

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

BigBadSteve posted:

lmao

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

BigBadSteve posted:

Why is only one side of your face droopy, Steve?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

:gb2gbs:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if i'm ever banned, just know it was because a team of my posting enemies from another forum were meticulously reading and cataloguing thousands of my posts, assembling in a dossier every scrap that could be construed in some way as problematic, ready to deploy at a moment's notice should a vulnerability emerge.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

our team needs to find a way to stack qcs. i've been told the enemy team has been able to place many operatives in qcs. how can we unlock this technology?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

why can't we goldmine individual posts

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
fyad is gay

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

:munch:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014