Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Frame rates etc seems fine in the starting area, crashed as soon as I finished loading into my first mission though. Whelp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I actually laughed out loud when I realized ogryn blitz was just the box.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

ChickenHeart posted:

Don't forget to check the armory once in a while - it sells weapons that you might not have encountered yet and it updates every 45 mins or so.

Once you hit level 11 you can start doing challenges similar to Okri's stuff from Vermintide - these give you a premium currency that you can use to get high quality items

Powersliding is very useful - it appears to sour the aim of anyone shooting at you and it allows you to close the last couple feet towards an opponent or cover

Despite being only a little taller than other guardsmen, Maulers are beefy bastards; they're basically Chaos Warriors from Vermintide. Shotguns and other heavy ordnance stumble them reliably though

Both the dogs and mutants (the guys that look like Goliath zerks) can be sidestepped at the last moment

There's an armory!? I mean, it makes sense because you're getting paid in stuff and picking up mats of some sort, but clearly I did not explore the hub well enough. Roughly where is it located so I can check it out next time I log on?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

IthilionTheBrave posted:

There's an armory!? I mean, it makes sense because you're getting paid in stuff and picking up mats of some sort, but clearly I did not explore the hub well enough. Roughly where is it located so I can check it out next time I log on?

Turn left when you spawn in and run that way

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
loving Guardsmen are the kings of friendly fire. Either shooting barrels when your in the middle of melee or throwing grenades right on top of you.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ogryn is a lot of fun, but yeah, getting semi frequent crashes.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Arghy posted:

Played 2 hours and i gotta say i wasn't impressed beyond the lack of information given to the player. Specials blended in and were just mysterious like how the gently caress do you deal with them? VT2 specials and monsters were very telegraphed and you quickly found ways of dealing with them. The armored melee dudes were impossible to tell from normal guys and only when you tagged them then you'd realize oh wait its a special? Ranged combat feels like an afterthought with majority of game play being VT2 melee. The lack of designated classes means every game feels like everyone picked the same archetype and now theres a weakness except not really because theres not really any supporting roles?

Grenades are horrendous friendly fire machines and you can go entire runs without using any because its too risky and honestly it's not like you need them. Explosive barrels being loving everywhere and impossible to spot is also a really bad move with multiple runs having teammates shooting props thinking they were barrels.

This might be a fun game in like 6-7 months if they get their poo poo together with tool tips and an ingame codex telling you about everything but atm it feels like a worse VT2 without the amazing characters and setting.

My experience so far was very different. The mix of enemies is one of the things I like most when compared to vermintide. The elite units (e.g., the armored guys with chain axes, the shotgun soldiers, the shielded ogryns and so on) are recognizable but don't stick out like a sore thumb, so paying more attention pays off. The actual specials still have callouts and intro sounds, like the lighter sound for the scorcher, the howl for the plague dog, the mad laughing for the trapper, the beeping that becomes louder as he closes in for the bomber, and I think just a roar for the charging ogryn.

Ranged combat was something I was worried about because I really love the vermintide melee combat. I was worried the game would be too ranged heavy. Now after playing a bit, I think they nailed the balance between ranged and melee. It feels like you need both, and both feel satisfying.
For example, the first couple games I played as the ogryn felt bad to me. The character felt sluggish and I took loads of damage, mostly from ranged mobs. That's because I played him like a vermintide character, charging into stuff and swinging my stick. When I started playing a bit more shooter-y, e.g., using cover on approach and firing of more shots before starting swinging, the character immediately felt tons better.

Cannot comment on the grenade thing because I haven't played as veteran yet. The barrels also haven't made much of an impression for me. I believe they have blinking lights on them and look like you expect an explosive barrel to look in a game. I prefer that over bright red barrels that essentially scream "SHOOT ME" visually.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Second mission went fine. I got a huge performance bump by switching from windowed fullscreen to just regular fullscreen too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My main problem with barrels is that so many of them not only do a lot of friendly fire damage if they hit you, but they leave a patch of fire on the ground. So if someone running ahead of the group shoots one it can either force everyone else to take damage or slow down.

Does the Psyker get any guns that aren't the revolver? I kept crashing when I tried Zealot so I went back to Psyker, but the revolver's so bad I never use it and I haven't seen any other guns :(

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I had shotguns start showing up for my Psyker around level 5. It's fine? More bursty damage, for sure.

Re: specials: I'd like them a lot more if the lighting wasn't pitch loving black 80% of the time.

e: And I wish you could alt-tab from fullscreen without it loving up the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you're good at flicking out headshots, the psyker's revolver kicks rear end

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

takes about 30 years to reload is the main issue. the force swords are nice though, me and my friends got through whatever the assassination mission’s boss was by them breaking his shield and me whomping him with a special strike. kind of lousy crowd control as a tradeoff though, plus the animation for the force strike feels really weird, like it locks your view onto whatever guy you strike it with to play its animation and it feels very disorienting when you’re trying to keep scanning around for targets

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 15, 2022

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
My big dumb canister shot Ogryn sized m79 hit an armored guy so hard he gibbed from slamming into the wall behind him. Then I pushed one of the big chainaxe wielding bruisers over a railing into the smelter. Saved our psyker from a tox flamer by beaning him in the head with a box.

Ogryn is joy.

Got to say I miss the Vermintide 2 mission end stats layout and kill messages being in the top right corner of the screen.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What tool do Veterans get against armored traitor two-handers, or am I just hoping for the best with newbie gear? Lasgun + ability doesn't seem to do much, nor does heavy shovel swings.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

What tool do Veterans get against armored traitor two-handers, or am I just hoping for the best with newbie gear? Lasgun + ability doesn't seem to do much, nor does heavy shovel swings.

dodge and swing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

heavy swings aren’t necessarily always what you want to use against armor. if you open your equipment screen and hit the investigate button, you’ll be given a symbolic view of what each of your light and heavy combos look like. i *think* the armor piercing hits are the explosion symbol, but there’s no key and no one else has mentioned if they’ve deciphered it differently

edit: me from last page

Cowcaster posted:

anyone have a legend for what the melee attack symbols mean when looking at their combo descriptions? i figure it's something like:

blade with arc: standard hit
three arrows fanned out: cleaving hit
explosion: armor piercing hit
blade with lightning bolts on the side: does extra damage when hitting from behind(?)

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 15, 2022

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Zealot is quickly becoming my favorite. Axe and shotgun makes for very chunky single target damage, and slamming the axe into some armored dudes head just feels right. The lack of horde damage hasn't been an issue so far, but I am only playing on difficulty 3. And survivability is off the charts, your charge ability refills your whole shield, on a pretty low cooldown.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

With Psyker's head pop ability, despite the fact that you have to charge it up, it will instantly stumble smaller enemies. This is particularly fun with snipers and laser soldiers on faraway catwalks or whatever because you can often stumble them right off the edge to their death. It seems to work on any of the non-heavy specials too. So you can just spam click to stumble a big horde or whatever (but you have your skyrim shout for hordes so that'd be a waste). It's the best 'oh poo poo' button psyker has for when you run into a squad of laser soldiers by yourself, stumble them all while you scramble to cover.

Also you can meditate with your sword out

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 15, 2022

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Starting to run into more and more frequent crashes while playing with friends. Really sapping my enjoyment, but hey it's a beta and betas crash. Game is fun as hell otherwise, though.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Maybe I'm "an old" with low expectations but this game seems really good. I like the medium range urban warfare las gun battles. A bit rough in terms of crashes or features not working but excusable.

Also already mentioned but the music is just amazingly well done.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Schnitzler posted:

Zealot is quickly becoming my favorite. Axe and shotgun makes for very chunky single target damage, and slamming the axe into some armored dudes head just feels right. The lack of horde damage hasn't been an issue so far, but I am only playing on difficulty 3. And survivability is off the charts, your charge ability refills your whole shield, on a pretty low cooldown.

Yeah, Zealot’s a lot of fun. My only gripe is being unable to cancel out of the charge with a guard like you can with Kruber in VT2. I overshoot a lot.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I'm away RN but thanks for reminding me about the special attacks. I figure it might be the shovel's stab attack that'll do it, hopefully

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Just played as the ogryn with some friends, it feels like playing left 4 dead but I get to be the tank mutant. Real blast of a game, just needs some bug and optimization stuff and it'll be goty material

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Finally had a chance to play. My i7 6700 and GTX960 are good enough on low with FSR cranked all the way up, suprisingly.

I like it so far and just hope there is more single play options down the line to get a better feel for characters before being thrown into the literal fire.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Pre ordered Imperial Edition of the game, I’m 100% in for the long haul for this game.

I am so happy my shitbox PC runs it so well, but man I should seriously upgrade this january to the 4080 and Ryzen 9 7000 series, I bet this game will look Incredible by then.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 15, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I’m pretty happy with the psyker after hitting level 8. The force sword is really pleasant to use because it interacts well with his abilities. You use the alt ability to charge it for 30 peril and just delete unarmored elites and head pop the ones in the back. The pistol is ok but it’s pretty slow to reload, I just got the stubber but haven’t tried it yet. It does feel like the starting sword is nice for sweeping hordes but it’s very awkward to use his class abilities with it and he just doesn’t feel useful until you get the force sword imo. Looking forward to getting the aoe staff though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I was having pretty much no performance issues running everything on high with DLSS on automatic on my i5-10600K + 3080, but it was definitely getting a bit warm in here. My husband's on a 2070 Super and even on medium his GPU temperature was going nuts. Hope there's a bit more optimization on release.

Game's fun though but idk how much more of the beta I'm going to play this weekend. I can't tell if the lack of weapon variety is because it's beta, because it's low-level, or because there legitimately isn't that much weapon variety in the game, but it's a bummer.

Edit: also I highly recommend an all-ogryn party for maximum memes (and surprisingly unique voice lines on the loading screen).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

game needs a rock and stone button

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

toasterwarrior posted:

Heavy attacks to his head with an armor-piercing thing while kiting him by back-dodging. Works for just about every boss

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm willing to bet the current lack of variety of weapons and skills is purely because this is a stress test beta and not indicative of the full feature set of the final release, I'm pretty sure the final will have all the weapons and goodies and cosmetics of 40k we all know and love.

Wheeee posted:

game needs a rock and stone button

yeah! a cool or fun group chat would be fun!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Drone posted:

Edit: also I highly recommend an all-ogryn party for maximum memes (and surprisingly unique voice lines on the loading screen).

lol yeah the game has tons of funny dialogue with sarcasm and irony and they really bring out each character in a fun way, they really did a good job with the Ogryns especially they play with the ‘big dumb brute’ dialogue very well. I also love the contempt and snark the imperium comma shows them. I genuinely don’t get why some people are down over the dialogue I think it’s great. the only character whose dialogue I’m not a fan of is the sharpshooter, I wish they would add a quiet type who sarcastically snipes every so often or is so brain damaged from Cadias fall he’s a walking Rambo, he talks too much and isn’t interesting the way the other characters are.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Was excited to try this this weekend but releasing an FPS beta without invert y-axis on a mouse is not exactly filling me with confidence in the dev team. That's like having an RTS beta with no hotkeys, or a fighting game with no local multiplayer. It just feels like such an obvious -- and in this case, simple -- thing to include. Do they really have zero people on their entire team who invert y-axis? None of the playtesters thought to mention it, or the devs just ignored it?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cicero posted:

Was excited to try this this weekend but releasing an FPS beta without invert y-axis on a mouse is not exactly filling me with confidence in the dev team. That's like having an RTS beta with no hotkeys, or a fighting game with no local multiplayer. It just feels like such an obvious -- and in this case, simple -- thing to include. Do they really have zero people on their entire team who invert y-axis? None of the playtesters thought to mention it, or the devs just ignored it?

What kind of maniac plays an FPS inverted, this isn’t Microsoft Flight simulator.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I don't think that's as common as you'd think.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe, but it's not a big feature to implement, and if you bother to include inverting the y-axis for controllers surely it's not that different? And this is essentially the third game in the series, right? Did the other games just not let you invert the y-axis on a mouse?

edit: I'm now looking at polls on gaming forums and while inverting is definitely a minority it's not that niche.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
There's a lot that's screwy about m+kb. It doesn't like to retain your custom settings between sessions, for one.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Cicero posted:

This oversight was pointed out in the previous test several weeks ago, the devs responded that it was being fixed, and it still isn’t fixed. Really weird that the game is missing a feature that’s been standard on every single FPS since Quake 1. I think even Doom had adjustable mouse sensitivity.

Fatshark reminds me of Obsidian in that they’re overall a very good development studio that’s frequently hamstrung by technical blunders and internal mismanagement. I’ll play the full game at some point for sure, but I’m holding off on a preorder until I’m certain that they haven’t poo poo the bed in some key area.

edit:

Al-Saqr posted:

What kind of maniac plays an FPS inverted, this isn’t Microsoft Flight simulator.

It’s very common. I have literally never seen a PC FPS lack this feature until Darktide.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 15, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Oh it doesn't have mouse sensitivity either, jesus. I can understand not having these things in a prototype but this game is supposed to launch next month right? Bizarre.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cicero posted:

Oh it doesn't have mouse sensitivity either, jesus. I can understand not having these things in a prototype but this game is supposed to launch next month right? Bizarre.

That would be pretty bizarre if that wasn’t in the final I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bare minimum such a basic feature should be there before you let the public play it in pretty much any fashion. If there was an earlier playtest it should've been there, not having it is such a dumb oversight. The game is nearly unplayable if you always play FPSes with inverted y-axis, it's the most fundamental aspect of control in an FPS.

And apparently it just resets all your keybinds if you close the game? Did nobody test any of this stuff before releasing a beta to the public?