Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's like people never even did the Hall of Novices lesson about pulling with your ranged attack to avoid being overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the trick with aurum vale is to pull through the boss barrier around the corner after hugging the left wall
no more patrols and itll pull the ranged mobs to you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tekopo posted:

The only time I reported someone was, in all places, Arum Vale. Tank pulls part of the first room, one of the DPS pulls an extra mob by mistake (it’s easy to do in AV first room because the mobs move around a lot), and instead of adjusting the tank decides to stand still, not draw aggro and types “DPS don’t pull”. We wipe and everyone including me is like “chill, it was a mistake” but the tank decides to stop tanking altogether and just stands there while others drop. We kick him from the instance.

As a tank main, nothing gets to me more than lovely prima donna tanks.
'you pull you tank' guys are absolutely the most common idiots to run into

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Endorph posted:

'you pull you tank' guys are absolutely the most common idiots to run into

Not only are they common, since they only reveal themselves when a non-tank pulls there's probably way more of them than it seems. Any time you get through a dungeon without a non-tank pulling, the tank could've been a 'you pull you tank' guy the whole time and you'd have no way of knowing. A truly scary thought.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Aurum Vale is where you learn dancer's standard step has a deceptively large range.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

15 yalms can a surprisingly mysterious distance

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zinkraptor posted:

Not only are they common, since they only reveal themselves when a non-tank pulls there's probably way more of them than it seems. Any time you get through a dungeon without a non-tank pulling, the tank could've been a 'you pull you tank' guy the whole time and you'd have no way of knowing. A truly scary thought.

"You pull you tank" is mitigation. Healers adjust.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I see way fewer "You pull you tank" tanks once out of ARR dungeons. The ones that last are those that discovered the secret: equip a pet healer. Now they never have to grow up. Always worrisome to see a tank/healer pair with the same last name. The tank/dps or healer/dps pairs seem to be fine though

derra
Dec 29, 2012
One report for racism, one report for a tank that was deliberately trying to kill people in Delubrium Reginae where you can't kick, and one when I beat them in a CC match and they /t 'ed me after wishing me a horrible day and they would throw any games when I was on the same team???

Given how much I've played it's a very rare occurrence overall.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

derra posted:

One report for racism, one report for a tank that was deliberately trying to kill people in Delubrium Reginae where you can't kick, and one when I beat them in a CC match and they /t 'ed me after wishing me a horrible day and they would throw any games when I was on the same team???

Given how much I've played it's a very rare occurrence overall.
Silver lining is that apparently SE takes this poo poo pretty seriously, so they are likely going to face some sort of consequence for being assholes after you've reported them.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah, I have only had to report someone for non-bot reasons once and it was over being wildly transphobic in one of the Thanalan shout chats during a pride parade. I have not seen that character name in ages, so I'm assuming they got hammered for their bullshit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm glad that RMT bots can be reported real easy, but the one time I needed to report something else I needed to dig for the option. Which is probably good, you can't just be troll-swatted by someone who disagrees with how much DPS you're outputting.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Things you should do when you've just finished base ARR and are working your way through patch content:

- Every couple of quests, do one of the optional dungeons that popped up! veterans will appreciate seeing Pharos Sirius suddenly popping up in their dungeon roulette after probably not seeing it in a year. Also clearing a dungeon for the first time will get you a bunch of 'Allagan Tomestones of Poetics' which you'll want, in order to trade them in for the best level 50 gear.
- Do the Alliance Raids! You'll be forced to do this anyway, might as well get a headstart on some of the quests so you don't suddenly stop dead.
- Find some helpful veterans to carry you through the Coils of Bahamut raids! The ancient Allagans will be more and more relevant to the plot as it goes on, and learning lore from the Coils of Bahamut will help explain matters such as "Where the gently caress has Alphinaud's sister been after she hosed off back when I was choosing a Grand Company?" and "Who is this Louisioix guy that was apparently a big enough deal for one of the big baddies in the end dungeon to name him?"
- Do the Hildibrand quests! They're comedy. If you do them all, I find the ones post-Stormblood to actually be genuinely funny! They also have actual trials gated behind them! gotta catch all the trials
- Level an alternate job! Now's a great time to try out a different role.
- Gathering and crafting! Now that you can fly, and have access to the whole of ARR, this is a good time to pick up some of the crafting-specific quests and clear them out. It's also valid to hold off on this until you unlock the 'Firmament' in Heavensward content which makes levelling gatherers/crafters quickly much easier.
- Decide if you want to do one of the 'Relic Weapon' or 'Primal Weapon' subjects and grinds! You don't actually want to do this, trust me. But you could.
- Maybe trying doing some Beast Tribe daily quests! Yeah, it's tedious, but if you're going to log on daily anyway... Be thankful you get to do this with flying unlocked, instead of the awfulness it used to be. There's a special questline at the end for doing them all!

If you try to blast through every MSQuest you'll have a rough time.

If you do five to ten MSQuests a day, and then maybe give one of the optional dungeons a shot, you'll have a much more pleasant experience.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 15, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Before the 2.x trim, doing Hildibrand quests is what got me through the 2.1-2.3 doldrums.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

bewilderment posted:

- Decide if you want to do one of the 'Relic Weapon' or 'Primal Weapon' subjects and grinds! You don't actually want to do this, trust me. But you could.

If you insist on doing an ARR relic weapon, please wait until the class is 70+.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

You should note that there are several levels of them and you can basically get the initial phase for free if you like the look of it. The grind comes after.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Note that for the ARR relic grind -- I would actually recommend grinding the first couple steps of it (up to Zeta, I think?) because they are relatively fast to do, unlock a couple extra trials, and you get a neat weapon glam out of it. But stop after the game asks you to start grinding fates, because that's when the shite hits the fan.

Basically what ^^^ they said.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Feldegast42 posted:

Note that for the ARR relic grind -- I would actually recommend grinding the first couple steps of it (up to Zeta, I think?) because they are relatively fast to do, unlock a couple extra trials, and you get a neat weapon glam out of it. But stop after the game asks you to start grinding fates, because that's when the shite hits the fan.

Basically what ^^^ they said.

That was the first quest (Besides fates you need to talk to dudes to start) I ever said"no" to in dialogue and the guy just went "Oh, give it a shot anyway, you might like it." :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bewilderment posted:

- Gathering and crafting! Now that you can fly, and have access to the whole of ARR, this is a good time to pick up some of the crafting-specific quests and clear them out. It's also valid to hold off on this until you unlock the 'Firmament' in Heavensward content which makes levelling gatherers/crafters quickly much easier.

Note that levelling them is insanely fast to begin with. Leves, Grand Company supply, and Ixal Tribe quests hand out bucket loads of xp and you will easily outpace any combat class by paying even a little bit of attention to them in ARR.

Especially if you're a fraud who buys their crafts on the marketboard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Considering an alt where I play in true Ironman mode, refusing to equip anything I didn’t make myself, and spend the whole game in first person. Problem there, of course, is little questions like “do consumables count”, “can I use retainers” and “how do I handle trials”.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

girl dick energy posted:

Considering an alt where I play in true Ironman mode, refusing to equip anything I didn’t make myself, and spend the whole game in first person. Problem there, of course, is little questions like “do consumables count”, “can I use retainers” and “how do I handle trials”.

Free trial restrictions: no market board, no retainers. Honest craftsman shop only at local vendors or gather themselves (or desynthesise). Unique class quest reward gear acceptable but grotty old dungeon drop stuff is not. You can cook and brew potions so they count.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

Solo Self Found FF14, that's a bold idea.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

One thing I will absolutely give the 2.x patch content is that the instanced content is just so, so good. I just did Shiva last night and it was incredible, plus the plot attached to that was really compelling too. Shame all the rest of the content is so grindy!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Currently debating which Triple Triad rules are worse: Plus/Same or Chaos.

I will say that I've never lost on the last card and had all my cards flipped when the rule was Chaos.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Can't believe I forgot to mention doing Hildibrand sidequests, edited that into my post.

Newbies should do those because they have actual content like trials gated behind them!

In theory I suppose this means you should also do the ARR Relic weapon up to the very first stage, both because it's pretty easy, and also because there's two trials gated behind it.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 15, 2022

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

one of the ARR relic trials is handy for getting 2 blue mage spells unsynced as well

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well that's annoying, I was queueing as DPS, which usually is like a 10 minute wait; I tabbed away for a bit and forgot I was queued, so when I tabbed back in, apparently the queue came up and was "cancelled", so it counts as getting the reward for today? That sucks.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well that's annoying, I was queueing as DPS, which usually is like a 10 minute wait; I tabbed away for a bit and forgot I was queued, so when I tabbed back in, apparently the queue came up and was "cancelled", so it counts as getting the reward for today? That sucks.

if you didn't do the roulette then you didn't get the reward. most likely when you pulled up the duty finder window it showed the first roulette status in the window to the right, which if you've already done it would show in orange "reward received" or w/e

EDIT: iirc the only thing that happens with timing out is if you fail to click "proceed" three times you get a 30 minute penalty

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 15, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think you misinterpreted the message. What happened was the queue popped and you timed out. This increased your penalty count - if you cancel three readied duties in quick succession you'll be put in a time out for half and hour before you can queue again. One missed won't do anything and in no way does it affect the roulette rewards.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
When I queued the reward was still available, and didn't say reward already received.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

What I mean is that when you reopen up the DF window it won't show you what you had selected before on the right, but rather the first roulette on the list, which may be why you saw the orange text

I have Levelling selected (which I haven't done), but it's showing Expert (which I have)

Nothing but completing the duty will give you the reward, and there's no way to lose it (except not doing the daily that day)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hrm, when does it normally reset for EST?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
11 AM EST

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Also worth noting that if you're trying to get it last-minute, doesn't matter if you entered the instance before the reset, if you complete the duty at 11:01 it counts as that day's reward.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alright I must've Mandela'd my memory of it being available somehow, because now its past 11 and the reward bonus is back.

I am going to also try and make sure sounds stay on when tabbed, which sound specifically is the duty finder sound?

fake edit: Accidentily hit post on "stay".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I am in the very strange position of being within spitting distance of qualifying for crafting mentor status... despite not even starting Shadowbringers yet.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm so close to Ishgard :negative:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Alright I must've Mandela'd my memory of it being available somehow, because now its past 11 and the reward bonus is back.

I am going to also try and make sure sounds stay on when tabbed, which sound specifically is the duty finder sound?

fake edit: Accidentily hit post on "stay".
This should let the duty finder ping through alt-tab:
System Configuration, Sound Settings, [x] Play sounds when window is not active, [x] System Sounds

Just make sure you don't mute master volume and system sounds in general.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

girl dick energy posted:

I am in the very strange position of being within spitting distance of qualifying for crafting mentor status... despite not even starting Shadowbringers yet.

:same:

I finished 4.0 Stormblood a couple weeks ago and paused on MSQ and dungeons for a bit while I work on getting all DoL/DoH from 60-70. Highest combat job is RDM at 73.

And then there's my FSH, which is 88, because I can't stop roleplaying Your Reel Dad™️ on ocean voyages. It will without a doubt be my first job at 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

girl dick energy posted:

Every so often someone notes in Newbie Network that it's easier ot get crafting mentor than it is to lose sprout.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

:same:

I finished 4.0 Stormblood a couple weeks ago and paused on MSQ and dungeons for a bit while I work on getting all DoL/DoH from 60-70. Highest combat job is RDM at 73.

And then there's my FSH, which is 88, because I can't stop roleplaying Your Reel Dad™️ on ocean voyages. It will without a doubt be my first job at 90.

Someone help, my miner and botanist are at 70+ because I can't stop doing the Diadem. I haven't even reached Stormblood yet.