Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
True Lies was a weirdly solid top down shooter, it did a lot of neat stuff and was structured kind of like Doom or Wolfenstein but not an FPS.

And it was incredibly violent for a SNES game too. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

PunkBoy posted:

Which 90s movie tie in games were good? I remember having Toy Story, but I only recall playing Lion King and Aladdin at friends' houses.

Edit: Oh, I did have the Game Gear versions of Lion King and Aladdin. They weren't great!

They made a SNES game based off on The Poseidon Adventure from 1972. It's a movie and game about people trying to escape a luxury ship that's been flipped over by a freak tidal wave and is filling up with water. You get 1 real hour to try and make it out with as many people as possible, and features some seriously harrowing platforming with AI followers as the whole ship is listing from side to side. Multiple playable characters with their own stories and starting locations, and a bunch of mostly bad endings even when you make it out (because like 2000 people died). It's pretty difficult to play but there's absolutely nothing else like it.

Check this poo poo out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQrnQmYWIEA

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I almost put the Dr. Pepper in the fridge, but then I realized that would be a waste of time.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's wild hearing all these opinions about Dr. Pepper when I had never heard of the drink until I started reading American media? Here it has always been either a Coca Cola drink, Pepsi drink or off-brand from the supermarket chain.

Oh and also Aquarius, market as an energy drink no athlete drank which my mother gave me when I was ill and lost a lot of fluids, to recover them despite being so sugary I'm sure it made things worse.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Cola is the absolute worst kind of soft drink, idk why it's so popular when it's worse than every other variety of sugarwater

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

lets hang out posted:

They made a SNES game based off on The Poseidon Adventure from 1972. It's a movie and game about people trying to escape a luxury ship that's been flipped over by a freak tidal wave and is filling up with water. You get 1 real hour to try and make it out with as many people as possible, and features some seriously harrowing platforming with AI followers as the whole ship is listing from side to side. Multiple playable characters with their own stories and starting locations, and a bunch of mostly bad endings even when you make it out (because like 2000 people died). It's pretty difficult to play but there's absolutely nothing else like it.

Check this poo poo out:

It also made for an extremely funny GameCenter CX episode

rox
Sep 7, 2016

rad

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It's pretty much the perfect Gamepass game, a ~5 hour 'experience' that I would probably have balked at paying money to own but will happy play for the monthly sub.

yeah, i would definitely recommend it for gamepass - it's solid for what it is, but it's mostly a very pretty romp without a ton of gameplay as-is to speak of. the middle section of the game is the part that i think got the most polish and refinement, since it's what got shown in all the trailers, but it's also the only stretch of real "gameplay" as such aside from a single (frankly kinda bad) boss near the end

it's also a game that feels almost deliberately designed to be so obscuritan that only youtube lore channels will have anything approaching a clear picture of what's going on, possibly to generate more interest in the game in the long term

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's sorta a bummer in a way cause it looked like it had been presented as H.R. Giger Does Doom

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

That's sorta a bummer in a way cause it looked like it had been presented as H.R. Giger Does Doom

most of the trailers, at least from like 2020 onwards, showcased the gunplay as being very slow compared to an average FPS, and that made its way into the main game. it's mostly more about tactical resource management, although you'll generally have enough ammo to blast through probably 90% of the things in the game without issue

i get the impression that they'd planned to do more with it before they ran out of money and time, as the gunplay feels weirdly vestigial with the overall length of the game. you get your 4th weapon very late in the game and only use it to solve a couple puzzles and on a single enemy

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 15, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Check this poo poo out:

It's by the original Clock Tower devs too. They did another "disaster survival" game where you're playing what looks like secret of mana but as a firefighter and you're having to rush through a burning skyscraper. It was an snes game that was just called "The Firemen" or "The Firefighter" or something like that.

The entire ouevre of video games that are just disaster survival titles is incredibly overlooked and underrated. There are so many great quality titles, lots of unique little gems, some real oddball titles, just a whole buncha stuff. The r-type devs had their own series disaster games and unfortunately the 4th game in the series was delayed and cancelled after being fully finished and ready to ship because the release was interrupted by the 2011 tsunami that hosed up Japan real hard. They thought it'd be pretty bad taste to release their game then. They eventually just remade it from scratch years and years later, as well as putting out a separate disaster survival game where the disaster is that Ultraman, Godzilla, and EVA-01 are stomping around causing a ruckus.

There are also some rts disaster relief games I can't remember the name of, but I doubt it'd be too hard to find them by just looking up rts disaster relief game.

Disaster games are cool. Maybe one day someone will make the Californication video into a playable and good video game with better music.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My pc is malfunctioning, someone plz recommend a game on switch to help cheer me up. Thx!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

My pc is malfunctioning, someone plz recommend a game on switch to help cheer me up. Thx!

Why recommend 1 game when I can recommend 52 games?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

It's by the original Clock Tower devs too. They did another "disaster survival" game where you're playing what looks like secret of mana but as a firefighter and you're having to rush through a burning skyscraper. It was an snes game that was just called "The Firemen" or "The Firefighter" or something like that.

The entire ouevre of video games that are just disaster survival titles is incredibly overlooked and underrated. There are so many great quality titles, lots of unique little gems, some real oddball titles, just a whole buncha stuff. The r-type devs had their own series disaster games and unfortunately the 4th game in the series was delayed and cancelled after being fully finished and ready to ship because the release was interrupted by the 2011 tsunami that hosed up Japan real hard. They thought it'd be pretty bad taste to release their game then. They eventually just remade it from scratch years and years later, as well as putting out a separate disaster survival game where the disaster is that Ultraman, Godzilla, and EVA-01 are stomping around causing a ruckus.

There are also some rts disaster relief games I can't remember the name of, but I doubt it'd be too hard to find them by just looking up rts disaster relief game.

Disaster games are cool. Maybe one day someone will make the Californication video into a playable and good video game with better music.

Nuclear Blaze was alright

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's still weird to me that the xenoblade devs made a disaster survival game on the wii, Disaster: Day of Crisis, that just never got an NA release. All because of Reggie.

Wikipedia posted:

The game's North American release was cancelled due to poor sales outside the country and the fact that Reggie Fils-Aime, then-president of Nintendo America, hated the game, calling it laughable and overpriced.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He was right, it's not good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess this seemed obvious to other people but i didn't expect scorn to be one of those "click everything and solve sliding tile puzzles" adventure games lol

I am also stuck in the first area lol, i have clicked on everything i think i can click on

Edit: oh complaining on the internet solves problems yet again, i figured it out but also the animation where the little dude gets the keyblade glitched out so it was happening while they were stuck in the wall 3 feet away from the machine lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 15, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

He was right, it's not good.

We're talking about the wii game library though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh this is just like the god of war 3 poseidon door puzzle.

uh, this sucks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If Nintendo can put out Wii Music they can localize a mediocre action game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

oh this is just like the god of war 3 poseidon door puzzle.

uh, this sucks

God of war 3 went in some pretty dumb directions

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess this seemed obvious to other people but i didn't expect scorn to be one of those "click everything and solve sliding tile puzzles" adventure games lol

it's an adventure game that then turns into half-life on valium that then turns into the budget conspicuously running out

i was kind of expecting the length for how long the game had been in development and how low the profile (and, subsequently, the budget) of the developers was, but the final boss being the most generic-looking steampunk strogg imaginable - that you fight twice in quick succession - is a big letdown after the entire game built up such an incredibly solid and unique biomechanical aesthetic. i'd be shocked if the thing wasn't somewhere on the unity asset store

Vermain fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 15, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
scorn was borin

i must reluctantly place my halloween hopes in the french

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
So this year I spent a whole lot of time playing FFXIV but then I tried to join a static for Abyssos savage that pretty much immediately disbanded and so then I went and played other games instead.

So here are some quick reviews of games I've played recently:

The Excavation of Hob's Barrow -- A nice, creepy little adventure game. It's well done all around, a great game to play in October.

The Case of the Golden Idol -- An Obra Dinn-inspired puzzle game. It's good--maybe a bit easier than I'd hoped but well crafted and fun to work through.

Return to Monkey Island -- There's no game I'm more nostalgic for than Monkey Island, I played the first two countless times as a kid. I was skeptical about Return but it ended up being everything I could've hoped for, just a perfect addition to the series. I'm pretty sure the ending will always be controversial, but it hit well enough for me. It's well worth playing if you're a fan of the series at all.

Horizon: Forbidden West -- It's hard playing a game like this after Elden Ring--where Elden Ring learned all the right lessons from previous open world games Forbidden West seemed to have only learned the wrong ones. It's undeniably a solid, well-constructed AAA open world action RPG, but it just feels dated already. I still enjoyed it a lot, though, and I thought the writing and story were almost as good as they were in the first game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i got demoted in tekken but it's all part of the journey of learning

i have handwritten notes now, we'll see if that helps at all

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've been playing the Coral Island preview through Gamepass, and that seems like a really solid Stardew clone. It's specifically Stardew and not Harvest Moon, I want to clarify, it pulls inspiration directly from that game's mechanics and story but it's all streamlined, with great graphics and a storyline with bigger and clearer stakes. It has a lot of missing features at the moment but what's there is proof of concept enough that I'm definitely going to pick it up when it's fully released.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i have been demoted all the way back down to grey ranks like three times lol, bouncing around is a fact of life i think

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I haven't played Stardew before. Are there any features you'd expect should be there aside from the ones mentioned by the devs as being on the to-do list on the Steam page?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

It's so clear now *scribbles down notes*

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kerrzhe posted:

Just play King and force everyone to play a guessing game with you.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/hellenataylor/status/1581289084718227456?t=rWWM1H11j4bMZLfRi2JyGw&s=19

So the scheduling conflicts line was bull, they just didn't want to pay Bayo's English VA

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/hellenataylor/status/1581289084718227456?t=rWWM1H11j4bMZLfRi2JyGw&s=19

So the scheduling conflicts line was bull, they just didn't want to pay Bayo's English VA

What doesn't make sense is this is a game with all union actors, Hellena is part of the SAG/AFTRA union I believe, but everything sounds off then if it is a union production? Or that Jennifer Hale being basically one of the biggies behind the Voice Actor Union and the strike from a few years surely wouldn't have been okay with how these events played out.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What doesn't make sense is this is a game with all union actors, Hellena is part of the SAG/AFTRA union I believe, but everything sounds off then if it is a union production? Or that Jennifer Hale being basically one of the biggies behind the Voice Actor Union and the strike from a few years surely wouldn't have been okay with how these events played out.

Yeah Hale doesn't strike (:haw:) me as the scab sort, something isn't right here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Unions are still good, but it's not hard at all for companies throw their resources around to abuse union workers as much as possible. I have a friend who works in the movie/TV industry as a crew member, they are apart of a union, and despite this have been on sets that required working 16 hours a day with zero breaks including lunch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What would a living wage for that kind of job be? Like, obviously more than the 4k she was offered but idk what it would be. I didn't watch the whole vid or the followup vids so apologies if she gave a number there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To me, a living wage would be based on the city a person lives in. It would be enough that at most 30% of their income goes towards the average cost of a 2-bedroom home for rent or mortgage. Nintendo is a massively wealthy and profitable company, they can afford to pay every single employee this amount easily with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1581316361657102337?t=UwGFrzhyrCwXH9ia9FFs6Q&s=19

Classy AF response there my guy