Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
It's one of the greatest RPGs of all time, so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Syfe posted:

Is Xenoblade Chronicles Difinitive Edition worth it? The Walmart by me has a bunch of copies and it's tempting.

If you haven't played it before, yes. If you've already played it on the Wii, yes.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Syfe posted:

Is Xenoblade Chronicles Difinitive Edition worth it? The Walmart by me has a bunch of copies and it's tempting.

Yes. Very tedious in the side quest department so if you're a completionist watch out. Outside of that, efinitely worth exploring the overworld on the big screensometimes (because it's awesome) and grab the soundtrack somewhere after youre done, too!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just about to get on a plane. Time to start a new game. Do I crack out Rune Factory 4 or AI Somnium Files?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I'd personally say RF4 (just bought 5 today) but it has hours of gameplay that just fly by, I'd imagine it's more distracting than AI, not that AI is bad, it's very good. I just feel RF4 sounds like grand time wasting.

Also thank you for the replies, I'll have to head out tomorrow and grab a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles DE, I liked what I played on the Wii, even if I never got around to beating it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If anyone's interested in talking No Man's Sky, the official thread is there.

All iterations are welcome.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RF4 it is!

Also, it's absolutely BS that Umineko is on Switch but only in Japanese. I recently "experienced" it on Steam and drat, what a story. Absolutely recommended

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Neither device is superior since they do different things but I certainly am the superior consumer for owning both
I'd say the Deck has a pretty clear superiority both in terms of raw power, but also game compatibility which includes much of the Steam library, but also nearly all of Nintendo's back catalog which is, by large, inexplicably not available on the Switch four years after the launch of NSO.

That said, I do like the Switch it's better than the Deck in a few specific ways. Glad to have both.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah in fairness my deck would win by default if it had that sweet OLED screen and magically had two times the battery capacity and didn't get hot/ loud.

The sticks feel insanely good on the deck! I don't see people mention this a lot because I think every device/ controller has serviceable sticks now

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I don’t like the way the joycons buttons and sticks feel and it’s a big part of why I don’t use it handheld often.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd say the Deck has a pretty clear superiority both in terms of raw power, but also game compatibility which includes much of the Steam library, but also nearly all of Nintendo's back catalog which is, by large, inexplicably not available on the Switch four years after the launch of NSO.

That said, I do like the Switch it's better than the Deck in a few specific ways. Glad to have both.

its a pile of trash

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If I gather up your last posts from the last few pages, I'll have a neat little pile of trash

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Stux posted:

its a pile of trash

Someone's jealous

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

of what

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

American McGay posted:

Ori 2 is really good because it steals all the good ideas from Hollow Knight while not being an ugly flash game.

Real talk.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the switch is def a bit weaker than its contemporaries but hell its also a relatively beefy handheld that can play console stuff and thats Pretty Win

i hope the super switch fixes the sticks tho 🙏

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Just finished the fourth floor of Luigi's Mansion 3 and am reminded all over again of why it's my favorite floor & boss in the entire game, and possibly favorite game level ever

The effects of blowing air into the brass instruments had me laughing so hard

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

I kinda bounced off NMS. The exploration felt shallow, the need to constantly hoover up materials to maintain your life support systems was annoying, the crafting felt unintuitive, and the flora and fauna didn't really impress me.

One nitpick that irrationally annoyed me was building a base on a planet with lethal ambient radiation. You can hide from the radiation by building a wooden house. I was like What the gently caress kind of wood is this. Maybe it's exotic space wood, idk. It just felt like "wood" was the entry level crafting material and they didn't want you to get stuck on a radiation world so they made wood protect against radiation. Took me out of the experience and I realized there was a gameplay treadmill behind the curtain and that felt bad.

Also I have a spaceship and can materialize complex machinery out of thin air why am I building anything out of wood? I'm not running a space etsy.

I found what I was looking for in Elite Dangerous but I'm probably dumb and crazy and lots of people love NMS so it's probably worth a shot, but don't feel bad if you bounce off it like I did.

Just by the way, a piece of paper and a goodsized book can protect you against several types of radiation.

A big piece of sturdy wood would reduce even gamma radiation by a lot

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love my Switch but I just wish more 3rd party devs would put even a modicum of effort into optimizing ports. There's no reason Bloodstained Ritual of the Night should run like like absolute dogshit (some areas/boss fights dipping below 10-15 fps, room transitions having several second load times, being able to reliably crash the game by clicking too fast through menus). Civ 6 has serious memory leak issues after about an hour of gameplay, even when you play small maps with few opponents. Pillars of Eternity is so broken that Nintendo actually handed out refunds for it, something that they're notoriously stingy about.

And yet you have loving DOOM 2016 and Eternal on the system, running at a smooth consistent framerate without sacrificing too much in the graphics department. It's clearly doable, but companies just don't give a poo poo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man this year (after elden ring) has been a good year for switch. I’m pretty much ignoring my ps5 and Xbox lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m ignoring those consoles because there’s literally no games on them.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

dolphinbomb posted:

And yet you have loving DOOM 2016 and Eternal on the system, running at a smooth consistent framerate without sacrificing too much in the graphics department. It's clearly doable, but companies just don't give a poo poo.

Sorry but this is a ridiculous take. If a game wasn't built using an engine that scales well and the team was only targeting PC and/or more powerful consoles it could be a nightmare to port. Demanding graphics may have little to do with it. Even if the engine is OK, they may have built out their project's core systems assuming hardware speed or functionality that the Switch can't provide.

Short of re-creating the game using a different engine, which I imagine isn't in scope/budget for a Switch port most of the time, the teams in question may have done all they can afford to do without losing money on the project. I'm sure the developers would love their Switch port to run nicely but they're still trying to run a sustainable operation.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 15, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dolphinbomb posted:

Eternal on the system, running at a smooth consistent framerate without sacrificing too much in the graphics department.

lol come on

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:lmao:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it’s a good game and that’s all that matters

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it’s a good game and that’s all that matters

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More like Doom Eturdal

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I seriously don't see an issue? Everything looks clear enough. I don't have other consoles, but this looks more than fine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I seriously don't see an issue? Everything looks clear enough.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
shoot the big red guy

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I seriously don't see an issue? Everything looks clear enough. I don't have other consoles, but this looks more than fine.

So you've never seen how the game looks on a not-Switch?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nope I don't have local friends with high-end consoles and I don't bother much with video game media.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Console war never changes.

I remember when this thread was good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Sean posted:

Console war never changes.

I remember when this thread was good.

I can't recall such a time.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

the time is now

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Douglas Bowser closely monitors the thread. And every time people start to make things look grim, he presses the "make another youtube about the Pro" button.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Stop being loving weirdos and post about Switch games.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I love being able to buy forty games in a fanatical bundle again. God bless the Steam Deck.

Also the battery is great considering it’s brute forcing the portability of the big AAA games. When you’re playing indie games it gets 4-8 hours, but getting two hours out of Elden Ring is also crazy.

edit: but uh the switch is cool. It has Kirby and the triangle strategy game thumbs up emoji

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Combine the Switch and the Deck threads into a single handheld Megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hatty posted:

Combine the Switch and the Deck threads into a single handheld Megathread

pls do not infect this thread with aids actually