Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I moved to Iceclad after I got back to 34 since I could actually port there. Too many powerlevelers in CT alligator alley.

Just dinged 36, so that's another hell level cleared. I've looted 3 Cougar Claw Earrings so far, traded one for a Forest Loop and sold the other two, so that kinda rules. I've never had this much plat when I was playing classic era on live! I'm gonna stay here until cougars start turning green.

I got lucky and killed Midnight for his bone (only needed one cougar pet and a DoT), so maybe I'll see if I can buy a Garou Skin for the weapon trade-in.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I leveled my ranger off of snow cougars from like 30-39 with panic animal. It's a great camp with tons of mobs

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Dunno how you guys happily solo in this game. It’s tense but so much downtime. Only time I was able to truly enjoy EQ is in groups, as an active role like puller or tank. People who can solo for many levels without going insane are quite a mystery to me.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Solo camps where you can just alt-tab back in to kill something every few minutes are chill

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Exactly that. I kinda like quad kiting on a druid for that reason, burn through your whole mana bar for a big chunk of exp, then alt-tab until your full up again.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Summit posted:

Dunno how you guys happily solo in this game. It’s tense but so much downtime. Only time I was able to truly enjoy EQ is in groups, as an active role like puller or tank. People who can solo for many levels without going insane are quite a mystery to me.

For me personally, I prefer being able to log in and log out whenever I want, even if there's way more downtime. With grouping, I have to commit a chunk of time that might get interrupted by one of several reasons at home, and I don't want to put people out like that. I also have weird anxiety issues with socializing, even when it's through the filter of a game.

Some people prefer different playstyles and that's okay!

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

This is me explained.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Solo iksar monk plays like a survival game

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
groups are great but god drat is the exp split painful. i can get like 2 levels solo if i have a spot and confidence to handle a mob or two, but with a party i can do 8 hours and i get like 80% of a bar.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

My bone knight is now soloing the entrance to Splitpaw at 33. If anyone has an alt in Blue in the 30-37 range they want to duo with,, the exp moves fast.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Dizz posted:

groups are great but god drat is the exp split painful. i can get like 2 levels solo if i have a spot and confidence to handle a mob or two, but with a party i can do 8 hours and i get like 80% of a bar.

When you have a full group it can be tough to balance/make efficient. You might have better luck with a group of 3-4 from an efficiency perspective.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can bards still run around and kite the entire zone basically?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yes

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can bards still run around and kite the entire zone basically?

Yup, AoE is limited to only 25 mobs so it takes longer to DoT them all down.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I guess I got into a pretty good groove this week 'cause I just hit 39 tonight. Moving down a couple islands to kill dire wolves and frost giants for a couple more levels, and then probably walruses over in Eastern Wastes maybe?

This is officially the highest-level classic EQ character I've ever had. 60 actually seems like an attainable goal now, unlike when I was a kid playing this game.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

I guess I got into a pretty good groove this week 'cause I just hit 39 tonight. Moving down a couple islands to kill dire wolves and frost giants for a couple more levels, and then probably walruses over in Eastern Wastes maybe?

This is officially the highest-level classic EQ character I've ever had. 60 actually seems like an attainable goal now, unlike when I was a kid playing this game.

Real Everquest starts at 51.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

milkman dad posted:

Real Everquest starts at 51.

Doesn't going from 1-50 only take up 33% of the total experience needed to get from 1-60, or something to that effect?

it definitely feels that way, having been 54 for the past who knows how long killing seafuries :v:

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

After a certain point very early on, you get weaker compared to individual monsters too. That’s why it’s such a party focused game

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Telltolin posted:

Doesn't going from 1-50 only take up 33% of the total experience needed to get from 1-60, or something to that effect?

it definitely feels that way, having been 54 for the past who knows how long killing seafuries :v:

I would say 50-60 takes about 3x the amount of effort as 1-50. Individual character power is probably part of this. Mobs start summoning at level 51 so if you were to solo you’re generally limited to mobs level <51. Another part is generally high level zone experience modifiers aren’t as good as lower level zone experience modifiers, or that there is only one viable camp in some high zem high lvl zones (such as permafrost bear pit).

If I were to design it myself I would make the same decision. You have a lot of class identity 50+. Warriors, for example, start to get access to really powerful disciplines and taunt becomes more and more reliable.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Experience calculations in Everquest are also really crazy.

Players in a group share experience based on their current experience number and experience needed is based on class and race. In theory, it makes everyone level at a relatively similar level, but in practice, that loving Ogre or Troll is eating all that extra experience. In a group, there is a group experience bonus that really kicks in at 6 people. The only way I got through level 59 on my Shaman was soloing rats in the basement of Plane of Mischief with it's good zone experience modifier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah they really hosed up how they calculated exp all around which led to hell levels because you had to "make up" for all the experience you didn't earn prior to the new modifier kicking in as if that modifier had been in place the whole time.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Telltolin posted:

Yeah, I figured the real grind would be post-50. I'm in no rush to cap, I mostly wanted to make a high-level character as a long term goal and to scratch a very old itch.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah they really hosed up how they calculated exp all around which led to hell levels because you had to "make up" for all the experience you didn't earn prior to the new modifier kicking in as if that modifier had been in place the whole time.

Oh, is that why hell levels are the way they are? Whoops. :v:

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
Getting 60 is the weirdest anti-climax.

59 is just brutally long. You go from cruising through 56-58 to a seemingly-dead stop in exp movement. After grinding a few chars through it, I’ve learned to just not look at the progress bar.

Then you get 60… and if you’re a shaman (with 50k+ to spend) you’re suddenly god. Everyone else just gets some dumb new spells that aren’t really great. Aego, potg, arch/demi lich, dictate. Meh.

At least monks get triple attack. That would have been much more useful for all that grinding lol.

Then you do some farming for pp, spend that pp on twink gear, roll another char, and do that poo poo again.

Oh and your 60s bind at tov and mostly just get logged in to cast 1 spell over and over while a dragon dies.

Anywho… 23 enc with a Zlandi heart looking for duo/trio friends on green!

Hibajubwa fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 15, 2022

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hibajubwa posted:

Getting 60 is the weirdest anti-climax.

59 is just brutally long. You go from cruising through 56-58 to a seemingly-dead stop in exp movement. After grinding a few chars through it, I’ve learned to just not look at the progress bar.

Then you get 60… and if you’re a shaman (with 50k+ to spend) you’re suddenly god. Everyone else just gets some dumb new spells that aren’t really great. Aego, potg, arch/demi lich, dictate. Meh.

At least monks get triple attack. That would have been much more useful for all that grinding lol.

Then you do some farming for pp, spend that pp on twink gear, roll another char, and do that poo poo again.

Oh and your 60s bind at tov and mostly just get logged in to cast 1 spell over and over while a dragon dies.

Anywho… 23 enc with a Zlandi heart looking for duo/trio friends on green!

Aside from the obvious 60 cap, I don't think I really had an end-goal in mind, other than getting the chance to properly explore the classic EQ world. Despite having played a lot of EQ as a kid, I never actually owned Kunark or Velious. I did come back a bit for Luclin when that was current and messed around with Beastlords for a bit. That was before every expansion in every MMO came bundled with all the previous expansions, so I could fly to the moon but couldn't ride a raft across the ocean. So now I actually have a chance to explore these classic zones I totally missed on live.

It's also neat to finally be the one casting the big sparkly buff spells on the new players!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

upsetting that lots of casters are perfect for soloing but none of the melees are minus monk but i guess it's a given when you have tons of safety utility. i hope an untwinked shadowknight is fun for solo/party until like 40-45 when i will most likely burn out again

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

You can solo with anything if you're patient and persistent enough. Sqid did a solo rogue to what, 60, awhile back?

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Summit posted:

Just adding to this, it really depends on the class.

I got a Necro and then an Enc to 60, and if you're not soloing for the majority of your exp you're just gonna level a lot slower than you would otherwise. Like, I remember taking a break from Howling Stones to try out grouping in Karnor's sometime between level 51-54, and my memory is a big foggy on the exact numbers but I went from getting on the order of ~10%/hr or more to 1%/hr. It was just totally wild. After a couple hours I never went back.

Also soloing is a totally different game. Charm killing on either of those chars in Howling Stones or just about any of the other good charm spots is a white knuckle ride, with very little to no downtime, but huge risk and reward. It's a lot of fun, and part of why I love EQ because I am not aware of any other MMO that can replicate that experience.

That said, groups are awesome. I found myself wishing a lot of the time that there wasn't such a discrepancy in group vs solo exp rates, because the bigger part of why I love EQ is the socializing. I actually loved doing 54-60 in The Hole with my enc. It's kind of like Cheers, it ends up being filled by the same regulars every night, you get to know them all and make friends, the assholes develop a bad reputation and you shun them together, the awesome people also get a reputation and it's a joy to get to group with them. And then of course nothing makes the long hours of grinding all those levels enjoyable like being in a good group of funny people shooting the poo poo.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

retpocileh posted:

Just adding to this, it really depends on the class.

I got a Necro and then an Enc to 60, and if you're not soloing for the majority of your exp you're just gonna level a lot slower than you would otherwise. Like, I remember taking a break from Howling Stones to try out grouping in Karnor's sometime between level 51-54, and my memory is a big foggy on the exact numbers but I went from getting on the order of ~10%/hr or more to 1%/hr. It was just totally wild. After a couple hours I never went back.

Also soloing is a totally different game. Charm killing on either of those chars in Howling Stones or just about any of the other good charm spots is a white knuckle ride, with very little to no downtime, but huge risk and reward. It's a lot of fun, and part of why I love EQ because I am not aware of any other MMO that can replicate that experience.

That said, groups are awesome. I found myself wishing a lot of the time that there wasn't such a discrepancy in group vs solo exp rates, because the bigger part of why I love EQ is the socializing. I actually loved doing 54-60 in The Hole with my enc. It's kind of like Cheers, it ends up being filled by the same regulars every night, you get to know them all and make friends, the assholes develop a bad reputation and you shun them together, the awesome people also get a reputation and it's a joy to get to group with them. And then of course nothing makes the long hours of grinding all those levels enjoyable like being in a good group of funny people shooting the poo poo.

I noticed the same kinda thing with my magician. The ONLY time so far up to lvl 54 that grouping has been faster, was when I was duoing with another mage (killing the same mobs I was already killing), but was able to massively increase the pace of kills and didn't have downtime from not needing to pet chain anymore. Even then I think it's a marginal improvement. I was so used to thinking groups=better that when I got in a group for MM CE and noticed it was slower than soloing pond I really started reevaluating my strategies

Now I'm only really drawn to the idea of grouping in places with good loot where I *couldn't* solo. I will get my water staff from phinny eventually :unsmith:

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Pillow Armadillo posted:

You can solo with anything if you're patient and persistent enough. Sqid did a solo rogue to what, 60, awhile back?

That was just a challenge, 'soloing' usually means effective soloing, not pulling singles and hoping you don't die to the next dark blue con because you didn't regen up to 100%

I'm a fungi'd/epic'd monk and man, 54 sucks rear end. Couldn't imagine having to solo this level as a loving non-monk melee

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I find that people talk about certain classes not being solo friendly, but is that true at level cap of non-cap content? In other words, can a non-solo leveling class at level 60 still bop around the world soloing 55-and-under stuff trivially?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ruggan posted:

I find that people talk about certain classes not being solo friendly, but is that true at level cap of non-cap content? In other words, can a non-solo leveling class at level 60 still bop around the world soloing 55-and-under stuff trivially?

Very gear dependent for a lot of non-solo classes. 51+ mobs in general are no joke if you don't have a way to mitigate damage since they can summon (slow/fear/pet/being a big tanky boi). A lot of high 40s-50 content can be nasty too especially if you don't have a way to get singles. 46 and under content, sure.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

yeah im under the impression that 1-50 might be fine solo since the devs didn't know how hard they should tweak mob numbers, and then dumped tons of stats into expansion mobs.

E: also answers why almost all classic items are absolute dogshit or you get them too late to be useful because an item good for a level 20-30 drops off some level 40-50 mob in an endgame dungeon.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

What classes can do at least mid-50s content solo at 60?

Necro
Enchanter
Shaman (w/ torpor)
Monk?

Any others?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Depends on the content, but add druid/wizard/bard to that list if quad/swarm kiting counts.

Shaman/Necro/magician/enc/monk are effective solo classes afaik.

I can solo animals into the mid-50s on ranger using snare and Panic Animal. Play what sounds like fun to you. Anything but erudite paladin is a good time.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah the only other one's you didn't mention are Druid/Wizard/Bard who can kinda make things work, druids/wiz at least having port at a minimum to go where the mobs are to kite; bards being bards who just kill poo poo period.

Also yeah, bards bards bards bards bards.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

How would a wizard or druid kill stuff in the mid 50s if it summons?

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Ruggan posted:

What classes can do at least mid-50s content solo at 60?

Necro
Enchanter
Shaman (w/ torpor)
Monk?

Any others?

Depends on the gear. I soloed my warrior, bard, SK, paladin, ranger, mage, druid, wizard all to 60. Some of these were practically naked (wizard, mage, bard), whereas others need gear in order to solo effectively.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

MooselanderII posted:

How would a wizard or druid kill stuff in the mid 50s if it summons?

They would never solo 50+ stuff, only quad lvl 45-49 stuff (quadding mostly).

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
oh yeah poo poo, been so long since high levels :( Quad is the jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I admit I had to watch a couple youtube videos to learn how to quad at maximum efficiency, but got through 55-60 relatively fast between drakes in CS and sentient armor in WL. The only hard part was finding it uncamped.