Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Bhodi posted:

I haven't needed it yet, but isn't there some way of reducing your liquid stool meter; maybe ginger root? Maybe you could double-fist ginger tea and coconut juice.

Eating charcoal will stop it far more effectively than ginger but the tea is also useful for other buffs so worth it if you have it.

That is one thing I think should be harder, though. You rarely see bacteria or infections if you make sure to cook food regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Bhodi posted:

I haven't needed it yet, but isn't there some way of reducing your liquid stool meter; maybe ginger root? Maybe you could double-fist ginger tea and coconut juice.

Drinking ginger tea will make it decrease slightly faster than normal, while eating charcoal will instantly reduce it by about 1/5 of a bar, albeit with a hydration and happiness cost so it's only worth it when it's mostly full if your worrying about water. And there's the anti-shits pills some starting conditions give you, which instantly empty the bar.

And yeah, you can get a coupla water bottles from the rocks, I mainly end up using them to store pesticides or oil.

Rynoto posted:

That is one thing I think should be harder, though. You rarely see bacteria or infections if you make sure to cook food regularly.

Bacterial infections can happen quite easily, just have to have the right variables in place. If your skin integrity is lowered due to sunburn/bug bites/bee stings/hand/foot damage your very likely to pick up something nasty just from doing a bit of clayworking or butchering if your not compulsively washing yourself every other step. That and if your playing without the immunized perk that nasty thing you pick up will most likely make you poo poo your guts out for a solid week. Camp Fever usually kills me.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 14, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've got two jerrycans, one from the airplane crash start and one from the boat :toot:

How many plastic sheets can you get? I've dismantled the raincoat before and got the sheet back, so I figured you just got the one that you could switch around

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I -think- you can get two at most from the wreck, but not entirely sure. Assuming that, max possible that can exist in a run is six if you go with the parachute or liferaft start and have the survival trunk perk.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Is The Forest any good? I saw a streamer playing it and it looks interesting.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

OneTwentySix posted:

I noticed the table talked about a crafting bonus but never noticed it - what exactly does it do?
It seems to reduces time on crafts. For example, palm fronds weaving only takes 30m instead of 45 with a table and chair. But it doesn't seem to apply to everything made, probably because of aggressive rounding up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Canuckistan posted:

I loved it. I did play through it with a friend though so I'm not sure how it'd be solo.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bit of a side question here because it's not the same genre, but I'd welcome the opinion of anyone in this thread who has played Days Gone? I dabble in "moto camping" and adventure bike riding IRL and days gone seems like the only game that has a motorcycle and anything like survival elements, so I'm curious if anyone has played it and could speak to how granular it gets with fuel, repairs, etc.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Bit of a side question here because it's not the same genre, but I'd welcome the opinion of anyone in this thread who has played Days Gone? I dabble in "moto camping" and adventure bike riding IRL and days gone seems like the only game that has a motorcycle and anything like survival elements, so I'm curious if anyone has played it and could speak to how granular it gets with fuel, repairs, etc.

I know Strix Nebulosa talked about adoring it in the Steam thread, you could ask her

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Canuckistan posted:

The Forest is pretty dang good, tho I'd classify it more as a survival horror with an open world and base building tacked on than a proper survival game, it's pretty much impossible to starve, especially since birds will literally line up to become dinner in an almost comical fashion and there are infinite caches of soda and energy bars around. There's allot to explore and find and that's pretty fun, and the base building system is extensive enough to feel rewarding though the game will punish you for staying in one place for too long so you can't super get into it unless you wanna play wave survival after a point. Or get the "postgame" item that let's you turn your base into a proper safe zone

I'd say give it a swing and go in with minimal spoilers, the underlying mechanics for the tribes are fun to figure out and learn.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HopperUK posted:

I know Strix Nebulosa talked about adoring it in the Steam thread, you could ask her

oh hi!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't drive, I have no experience with motorcycles. I am speaking as a person who plays video games.

Days Gone: the motorcycle controls are great and it feels amazing, but it's not granular at all. Repairs are "do you have repair item? hold F near bike". Fuel is "aha there's a fuel can, hold F while holding can". And like, you need to care about fuel and repairs, but only in the sense that you need to keep an eye out for those items and take care of it as you drive around.

I'd call the game Sons of Anarchy characters deal with a zombie outbreak. You're a sad bikerman driving around between different encampments helping them out and dealing with your past. The stealth and combat are fun/functional.

So... I'd say play it, but don't expect something realistic/granular. It's more of a cool open world game that features a bike than a simulation.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Also since I'm in here yes the Forest is great! It's not really a survival game - Jawnycat is right in that it's survival horror with some survival elements - but wow is it great. I played it co-op with my partner when we were first dating and it was a delight exploring and building a little base together.

Note that base-building can get EXTREMELY tedious in the amount of logs things need, as it's uh. You want to build a log cabin? You need to get a log for EVERY log in the model. This is fascinating and infuriating. We used the console to spawn in more logs because we wanted to spend more time exploring instead of chopping trees.

Finally as a note: a fairly large chunk of the game involves caving....and underwater caving. If you can't handle dark, claustrophobic spaces don't play Forest.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
This sounds like my kind of game. Thanks for the reviews! Something to look forward to after I finish Grounded.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Funny you mention grounded because I'm just about done with it and I keep thinking of how much parts of it remind me of The Forest. The exploring cool handcrafted locations and stuff mostly. It's a neat map with a mystery to unravel and some fun spooky locations to explore.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jack B Nimble posted:

As said above as long as you collect enough fuel and keep pressing F to repair its generally very shallow, although collecting fuel can be fun. The bike riding is neat but the thing that holds it back is that the on foot sections are extremely vanilla. functionally fine, but stop me if you have heard this before, using a thrown bottle to distract a zombie so you can sneak up behind and stealth kill them to clear out a zone

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The Forest is great atmospherically and the process of basically playing it as a vagrant, trying to find the most innocuous places to stick small shelters as you explore, is quite engaging. My biggest complaint about it is that it has a time-based difficulty scaler ala CDDA, except on fast-forward and with no configuration options, so that after about a month on the island the entire surface will be swarming with endlessly spawning supermonsters and completely uninhabitable, forcing you to settle down in the cave systems as the caves are the one place that doesn't escalate or repopulate.

Unfortunately I was never able to find the swimming gear or stockpile enough equipment to access or clear out the remaining half of the caves so I was left basically softlocked with the options of drowning, starving, or getting torn apart like a Cheestring.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The Forest is great atmospherically and the process of basically playing it as a vagrant, trying to find the most innocuous places to stick small shelters as you explore, is quite engaging. My biggest complaint about it is that it has a time-based difficulty scaler ala CDDA, except on fast-forward and with no configuration options, so that after about a month on the island the entire surface will be swarming with endlessly spawning supermonsters and completely uninhabitable, forcing you to settle down in the cave systems as the caves are the one place that doesn't escalate or repopulate.

Unfortunately I was never able to find the swimming gear or stockpile enough equipment to access or clear out the remaining half of the caves so I was left basically softlocked with the options of drowning, starving, or getting torn apart like a Cheestring.

Huh? This wasn't my experience - at least, while playing co-op we never felt pressured to move into the caves or worry about upgrading our defenses to defeat the increasing hoards. But then we were also playing at a steady clip.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Yeah, if you leave them alone and don't deforest too much, they usually leave you alone

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

idk what to tell you, by about 32 days in it had gotten to the point where the regular cannibals no longer even existed on the surface and upon emerging from any cave entrance I would INSTANTLY be accosted by 4-8 supercannibals (the ones that look like Dr. Manhattan and can easily outrun you) and 1-2 of the Leggies or whatever they were called. Sprinting as fast and far as I could in any direction from any exit, at least until my inevitable mauling, there were clusters of supercannibals and Leggies, just, everywhere. Carpeting the loving island. Picture me in my dumbass leafy armor with my axe and maybe a couple sticks of C4, while about 4 minibosses descend on me simultaneously.

I remember going looking for advice or guides and finding at least one confirmation that "yeah the surface will rip you apart at this point unless you're filthy with C4, hope you like caves", so it can't have been just me. This wasn't some early in-dev version either, this was after it stopped getting updates post-launch.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just guessing a gameplay mechanic but it sounds like chopping down trees increases their spawns, maybe someone who has played can spoiler a response. don't actually tell me in plain text because I'm gonna install it today and play it - more exploring less base building sounds like a nice change of pace to me

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Basically the more you gently caress with them the more they gently caress with you. What entirely constitutes the full range of 'loving with them' is for you to learn, but it's allot of things.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just guessing a gameplay mechanic but it sounds like chopping down trees increases their spawns, maybe someone who has played can spoiler a response. don't actually tell me in plain text because I'm gonna install it today and play it - more exploring less base building sounds like a nice change of pace to me

After googling to confirm my memories, Jawnycat is right.

I really like how reactive and interesting the enemies in the Forest are. Like, there's a lot of complexities and in-game it can feel like you're dealing with an actual intelligent group of people in some ways, which I haven't seen in any other game.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I chopped down like 6 loving trees, avoided their notice as much as possible and fled rather than fighting whenever that was an option, never built a proper base, never tampered with any effigies or built my own. Although according to the wiki it takes only 20 days for most of the mutants to be replaced with masked mutants and the pale ones I was mostly encountering are the middle of the progression tree. Maybe the AI aggression "fuzziness" bugged out and scaled itself to maximum or something, because the game sure still does have its fair share of residual bugginess.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Card Survival update: there have been no goddamn chilis in either grasslands for long enough I'm suspecting it's a bug / update related problem. I only harvested maybe ten plants total, over an extended period of time. At this point I'd edit my save file for it, except it's really hard to figure out.

I literally just need one, been sifting through gastric leavings on the off chance it has a low chance of giving me a chili :negative:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Card Survival update: there have been no goddamn chilis in either grasslands for long enough I'm suspecting it's a bug / update related problem. I only harvested maybe ten plants total, over an extended period of time. At this point I'd edit my save file for it, except it's really hard to figure out.

I literally just need one, been sifting through gastric leavings on the off chance it has a low chance of giving me a chili :negative:

Not having chilis is rough, they're such an important additive to a bunch of recipes. If I were you I'd diversify out to bees, goats, and partridges asap with a bunch of fish traps so you can make fish n' chips, hearty meals, and round your mood off with yam jelly.

RIP yam curry, though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is anyone playing Stranded: Alien Dawn? It’s kinda a 3D rim world

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Not personally but here's about six hours of youtuber CrypticFox streaming it, just posted a little while ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPld39-gYGw&t=248s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6aL_4dr7dk

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Not personally but here's about six hours of youtuber CrypticFox streaming it, just posted a little while ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPld39-gYGw&t=248s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6aL_4dr7dk

Thanks gonna give these a watch. I’m probably gonna get the game the few videos I’ve seen so far make it look pretty good.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Go shout at the dev on the steam forums; if it is a bug they'll want your save to track it down, and they've fixed peoples saves for them from bugs before as well.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Card Survival's saves are in plain text and all the fields are clearly labeled if you want to try your hand at it, as well. Check the "Chilies_GrasslandPop" first to see if it's even still alive.

Here's my own save's chili population if you just want to do a direct overwrite.
{"StatID":"b61fd5d0c9963454bb4eedf6ea901ed8(Chilies_GrasslandPop)","BaseValue":4478.11767578125,"BaseRate":0.25,"Pinned":false,"StatusDurations":[],"StaleActions":[]}

The BaseValue is what you want to increase. Higher is better. Comparing it to an older save where I didn't farm as hard the value was ~1000 but still alive.

IDs are constant so if you want to spawn a chili plant add this

{"CardID":"cda0585e31f03fe4fbb6d8d09b12c64b(ChiliPlant)","CustomName":"","EnvironmentID":"9b82bbf1e5870944594b1e518763fc50(Env_GrasslandsW)","PrevEnvironmentID":"","PrevEnvTravelIndex":0,"IgnoreBaseRow":true,"SlotInformation":{"SlotType":2,"SlotIndex":6},"CreatedOnTick":10157,"CreatedInSaveDataTick":0,"IsPinned":false,"NotYetCreated":false,"IsTravelCard":false,"TravelCardIndex":0,"Spoilage":0.0,"Usage":0.0,"Fuel":0.0,"ConsumableCharges":0.0,"LiquidQuantity":0.0,"Special1":0.0,"Special2":0.0,"Special3":0.0,"Special4":0.0,"ExplorationData":{"CurrentExploration":0.0,"ExplorationResults":[]},"BlueprintData":{"CurrentStage":0},"CollectionUses":[],"StatTriggeredActions":[]}

You'll have to edit slotindex and createdontick. Slottype is what row it's on. 2 is the top row, 1 is middle row, 0 is in your inventory. Slotindex counts from 0 so you'll want to paste that in the correct spot in the save based on the slots you choose. It's quite fiddly though so imo just try to increase the chili pop instead, first.

I should check if someone has compiled the IDs, yet. Wouldn't be that hard to make a proper save editor.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 17, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Have they improved Planet Crafters much the last few months?

I haven't checked this thread in a while, but the consensus back when I tried the demo was that while many people found something very nice and relaxing about it, it was essentially a 3D clicker game and the overwhelmingly positive reception on steam seemed a bit blown up. Has it earned that reception now?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I would say its the same game but they have added more content.
More progression and new areas to explore.

But then i'm one of those people who finds it enjoyable still.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
chili grassland number is at 700 and very slowly going up, so i suppose it's actually working somewhat as intended

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
First thing I did on unlocking crop fields was plant two fields each of yams and chillies. Never catching me off guard again stingy-rear end island

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

First thing I did on unlocking crop fields was plant two fields each of yams and chillies. Never catching me off guard again stingy-rear end island

No reason not to just grow everything, really. End up with more fertilizer than you could ever use in short order.

Ginger and Kava are both excellent to have in bulk if you want to make mood easier to manage and 8 or so crops will last you a hundred days.

Rice is another good lategame staple as you can grow and cook it in large amounts.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 19, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

OgNar posted:

I would say its the same game but they have added more content.
More progression and new areas to explore.

But then i'm one of those people who finds it enjoyable still.

Eh, I guess that's enough to go for it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
DLC for The Long Dark coming in December: https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-october-2022/

Everything sounds great except the new areas being only connected to a new hub you have to travel to. I was hoping for increasing the gameplay depth in the current world. Do people like seeing even more maps? I've always felt TLD had enough.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

DLC for The Long Dark coming in December: https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-october-2022/

Everything sounds great except the new areas being only connected to a new hub you have to travel to. I was hoping for increasing the gameplay depth in the current world. Do people like seeing even more maps? I've always felt TLD had enough.

Safehouse customization??

If I can make a cozy cottage I am never coming back.

Edit - I have no map opinion because I only play the campaign (obviously I'm considering playing this updated survival mode).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Making paths/permanent fixtures in the long dark would be amazing. The paint was a nice idea but way too hard to use and you need something you can use is low light / blizzard conditions to find your way.

Those new gameplay systems look great, especially travois, if they give you some sort of sled you can haul that would be so great; one of the huge issues is lack of portage options as you scour an area to bring back to your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh I had to google travois, yeah that's neat.