Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

riderchop posted:

gently caress off

I always feel like
Anthony's watching me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's Blandthony.

Selachian posted:

That's Blandthony, who an adult Elizabeth will eventually dump her career and far more interesting boyfriends to move home and marry at the very end of the strip.

Ah..thanks.

"Some things are not worth marrying for".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I DIDN'T EVEN SAY ANYTHING WHAT THE gently caress
Hnnrghh, Colonel, I keep trying to tell the Phantom that if it sucks hit da bricks, but I'm dummy thuck and the clack of my rear end bones keeps alerting his dog wolf.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

The_Other posted:

Steeple: The Silvery Moon

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple Website

What is that gesture she's making in panel 2?
It's as long as her forearm?
Pantomiming cranking it?

Can't be moving hand and tongue in cheek, tongue's clearly sticking out.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

thisusedyet posted:

Pantomiming cranking it?

Can't be moving hand and tongue in cheek, tongue's clearly sticking out.

You hold your elbow/lower upper arm with one hand and stick the other up with a fist and go whaayy and it means big erect dick. It can also mean gently caress off and/or go gently caress yourself if directed at a person. I hope this helps

edit: haha holy poo poo it has a name.

TyrsHTML fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 15, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

thisusedyet posted:

Pantomiming cranking it?

I believe that's the bras d'honneur, here used to demonstrate how stiff that unconcealable lupine stiffy was.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

That's Blandthony, who an adult Elizabeth will eventually dump her career and far more interesting boyfriends to move home and marry at the very end of the strip.

And the most profoundly nothing marriage proposal in entertainment history.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (October 18, 1975)

I Was Promised An Old Man Getting Snapped In Half, You Son Of A Bitch

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 17, 1939)

Out Our Way (February 5-7, 1940)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
FOOB bad.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

New in the paper: This thing. It doesn't seem like it'll be interesting enough to post regularly.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thisusedyet posted:

the military salute of the Spaceball Empire

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 11, 1953)

But…Sussex is named for the (Southern) Saxons.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (January 7-12, 1985)

Bullwinkle

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Curtis

This movie came out in 1977:

It's also the subject of an old bit from Patton Oswalt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYyYl3RdjI

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

See? The scary skeleton just wants to help.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

That's gonna be me with The Big Lebowski in time.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Selachian posted:

That's Blandthony, who an adult Elizabeth will eventually dump her career and far more interesting boyfriends to move home and marry at the very end of the strip
No you don't understand, Anthony was so mature by then: he'd grown an ugly moustache and married some cold harpy BITCH named Therese who wanted a CAREER UGH and was INDIFFERENT TO THE BABY he whined at her to have and he was separated from her so Elizabeth had to RESCUE THE MAN because he was such a fuckin' catch.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"I really wanted to put a ring on that tiny, tiny finger."

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

See? The scary skeleton just wants to help.

drat. drat that's metal.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Mark Trail

Drakyn posted:

No you don't understand, Anthony was so mature by then: he'd grown an ugly moustache and married some cold harpy BITCH named Therese who wanted a CAREER UGH and was INDIFFERENT TO THE BABY he whined at her to have and he was separated from her so Elizabeth had to RESCUE THE MAN because he was such a fuckin' catch.

Thanks I hate it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 8/27/50

That's called a Woodie and, yes, at that time they were made of actual wood.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Drakyn posted:

It's legitimately amazing to me how hard it dips into narrative-centered morality by making Elizabeth be the other woman in Therese and Anthony's relationship so much so that when Anthony ruins his relationship and gets kicked out he comes begging to Liz to take him in because "he has no home" and she's just like "...yep, get on in here".

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Register Cat

Cthulhu and Girl

Self-Propelled Public Bath

Much could be (and has been) written about the decline of the no-frills “mom and pop” public bath in postwar and late-20th-century Japan as more and more houses and apartments were built with baths in them, leading to the transition to larger, flashier, let’s-be-honest-cleaner, and usually more expensive “corporate” public baths with fancy names like “health centers” or “super sentos” that are a leisure destination rather than a necessity (and how working-class and poor people still living in bathless housing were / are the last to stop using traditional public baths), but that tension is part of what this comic is going to be playing with.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 11, 1953)

Val, in Ireland: those silly Irish clinging to their pagan religions, unlike the good Christian knight I am
Val, the moment he's back in England:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

For those who did not experience the Saga of Elizabeth giving up on life and settling for her boring-rear end childhood friend, here is a good writeup of why Anthony sucks:

https://shaenon.livejournal.com/29475.html

Be warned that it is Livejournal and is formatted accordingly.

AMBULANCE, shitheads!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

I always feel like
Anthony's watching me

Worse than that.

He marries a career woman so I guess when Elizabeth moves/goes to college? he takes a silver medal, but always wants Liz. But he is a Good Man Nice Guy, even where he pretty much forces his wife to have a baby (which she does, on the condition she doesn't do the parent poo poo because she wants her career) and then is shocked she doesn't turn into a Perfect Mommy. Then he again goes after Liz after she's nearly raped, and begs her to wait for him while he starts a divorce with his Evil Child Hating Wife.

And he doesn't even propose to Liz. But no worries, she has an Instant Family and no more adventures for her!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

For those who did not experience the Saga of Elizabeth giving up on life and settling for her boring-rear end childhood friend, here is a good writeup of why Anthony sucks:

quote:

I hate Anthony. I hate him more than I’ve ever hated a cartoon character, and, yes, I’m including both Scrappy-Doo and Ted Rall.

:vince:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

davidspackage posted:

drat. drat that's metal.

Phantom is really frustrating when it slows down because when it works it WORKS. The art in the action shots is great and, some quibbles aside, the story for those parts usually backs it up well. Then it decides to twiddle its thumbs for a month and undercut the momentum.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Julet Esqu posted:

This is always a good read, but I wish there was a way for people to go through every relevant Anthony strip in chronological order because it's an amazing study of an author failing to grasp how completely unappealing a character is.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I love this comment from GoRaina (Raina Telgemeier, who is now a successful graphic novel cartoonist): "ANTHONY IS LYNN JOHNSTON---YA' DARN RIGHT SHE FEELS SYMPATHETIC TOWARDS HIM."

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I must be forgetting (or not be aware of) lore regarding this love interest in Foob. Is he a jerk or just a non-entity?

It is time - "Why I Hate Anthony" by Shaenon Garrity: https://shaenon.livejournal.com/29475.html

Edit: drat, beaten!

Modesty Blaise: The Galley Slaves

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Selachian posted:

I believe that's the bras d'honneur, here used to demonstrate how stiff that unconcealable lupine stiffy was.

I'll be damned, my (Italian) grandfather always used to call that the italian salute. Thanks to all 3 of you on that

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Too many to quote but yeah, Anthony was an amazing slow-motion trainwreck of a storyline and watching the narrative move around Liz to get her back with him was awful. Her cool helicopter pilot boyfriend cheated on her and then she quit her fulfilling job teaching children to move back within a mile of her parents' home to ultimately end up with this man who'd carried a torch with her since high school (including the time when, as detailed above, he brow-beat his current wife into carrying a child she didn't want and then whined about how she wasn't emotionally invested in the child).

I think the lowest single strip was the one where not even an hour after he saves Liz from being sexually assaulted or worse, he cries at her how his wife is leaving him and poor poor Anthony.

What a catch.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

AMBULANCE, shitheads!

The burglars probably left? They aren't really known for sticking around.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Julet Esqu posted:

Holy poo poo, the post is almost old enough to vote! Great read though!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Selachian posted:

Oh neat, I read the article about how it's a positive gesture in Japan and often gets censored when it's used in Japanese media, and suddenly I was reminded that it's what Bowser does in his victory pose in Super Mario RPG in the original Japanese version. Which was changed to Bowser just holding up his fists in other countries.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Nov 15, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 19-20, 1992)

Big Nate

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Getting Railed By Your Heat-Influenced Husband While One Of Your Legs Is Broken" Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

What's the matter, Kell? Can't murder a fellow creature unless you can chase them down, feel the fear off them? Just isn't fun when you know they're not desperately trying to survive? I mean you can't be morally opposed to it, far too loving late for that, so I can only assume it's because killing a fellow sapient creature that has accepted its fate takes all the joy out of it for you.

God, gently caress Holbrook.