Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Was just about to post, wtf does that even mean?

Now we have two people calling the other a liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was already uncomfortable about Bayonetta 3 after seeing gameplay footage, and the Babylon's Fall disaster. Then the voice actor news dropped. Then this tweet happened and all of a sudden it's a lot easier to just skip over Bayonetta 3, a game I was really hyped and excited for. :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's a channel I follow called emkay that just reads out funny highlights from various subreddits and one of the readers is always so pissed off (and rightfully so) when he's given content from r/choosingbeggars where he ends up seeing a lot of stuff about people trying to pay actors and artists in exposure lol

I have to wonder if there was ever a time where the "exposure" schtick worked. Like, not worked as in "the exposure was actually valuable and worthy payment for a service" but rather worked as in "a period of time where people were able to scam others regularly by offering exposure instead of real payment."

I imagine payment in exposure has been a scam since time immemorial.

e:

I said come in! posted:

I was already uncomfortable about Bayonetta 3 after seeing gameplay footage

Wait what was wrong with the gameplay footage?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I was already uncomfortable about Bayonetta 3 after seeing gameplay footage, and the Babylon's Fall disaster. Then the voice actor news dropped. Then this tweet happened and all of a sudden it's a lot easier to just skip over Bayonetta 3, a game I was really hyped and excited for. :(

Sorry. I know how much of a bummer it can be when the ethics part of your brain butts up against the other parts. The dissonance and annoyance certainly aren't, you know, the end of the world but it it can really gnaw at you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Voice acting in games was a mistake.

Bring back text boxes.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

WaltherFeng posted:

Bring back text boxes.

Citizen Sleeper goty incoming

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Wait what was wrong with the gameplay footage?

Frame rate, and just generally the quality of the game and how it looked doesn't feel like it meets the standards of Platinums previous games (Babylon's Fall doesn't count), especially not Bayonetta 1 & 2. This could really be the fault of just how old the Switch hardware is and Platinum did the best they could. I really don't know, the game is out soon and i'm curious about the digital foundry review.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bayo 3 looks like a mash of the original gameplay and astral chain and between that and the extremely visually boring homunculus enemies i was giving it a bit of a side-eye, but still interested

less so now though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hadn't even noticed any framerate issues, it just kinda looked like more bayonetta but with some astral chain thrown in. Sorry to hear that it's looking rough.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

WaltherFeng posted:

Bring back text boxes.

Good idea. That way they'll stop reusing the same series in the Super Robot Wars series and bring back the oldest ones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm mad about the VA issue but I can't decide how mad until I know how much Hellena Taylor was paid for Bayonetta 1 and 2. Like, just how much of an insulting lowball is this?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The weirdest thing is Hale would absolutely be more expensive than Hellena so it can't be a money thing. Either they wanted to change the iconic VA for reasons (???) or someone on the development had something against the VA. Either way pretty hosed up.

EDIT: And if they wanted a new direction they could have just told her "sorry, not what we're looking for" and recast, which sucks but seems more reasonable than making an incredibly insulting offer.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 15, 2022

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Voice-actors are great cause you pay them squat and if you replace them and no one can tell the diddley-ifference.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's hard to believe that Hellena is lying because even if she were telling the truth, by saying this out loud, she's risking a potential blacklisting, and if she's lying, then she's definitely getting blacklisted.

Also if I remember right, Hale has expressed open antivax views in the past, which paints her as the kinda person who would gently caress somebody else over like that.

Even being charitable to Hale, they simply might not have told her about the offer they gave Hellena, fed her the same lie as they did us, and Hale just thought their offer was fair considering that it's both her first time voicing the character and she is generally a more prolific actor than Hellena and might be able to take a lower deal.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 15, 2022

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I tend to be biased towards labor before a company, but I feel as though something doesn't add up with the $4,000 figure if those are the union rates

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe they wanted her to just play the alternate punished Bayonetta but she thought it was for the whole game?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's hard to believe that Hellena is lying because even if she were telling the truth, by saying this out loud, she's risking a potential blacklisting, and if she's lying, then she's definitely getting blacklisted.

Also if I remember right, Hale has expressed open antivax views in the past, which paints her as the kinda person who would gently caress somebody else over like that.

Even being charitable to Hale, they simply might not have told her about the offer they gave Hellena, fed her the same lie as they did us, and Hale just thought their offer was fair considering that it's both her first time voicing the character and she is generally a more prolific actor than Hellena and might be able to take a lower deal.

This is a bizarre amount of extrapolation and it may be best to hold off on speculation like this until the facts come out

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if Hale's antivax then lol but I don't know how much that has to do with this

would Bayonetta get the vax? I know Enzo wouldn't

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd argue that the female VA, both known for being mistreated and abused, does deserve their voice to be heard at the very least. Specially given the hundreds of stories of VA getting screwed over for petty reasons.

But I do agree we need more details because as it sounds right now Platinum just insulted her for no reason and went for a VA who would probably have been less willing to work for that price if Hale is really very union.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

????? What the gently caress is this. This has nothing to do with anything that's being discussed. Like i hate antivaxxers too but come the gently caress on

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Also is there proof to the antivax claims? A basic google search isn't turning up anything

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think any tweets she's made about it have been deleted, and the extrapolation is that if she is, she's probably enough of a lovely person to gently caress over another actor, but yes, this is me reading way too much into the situation, ignore me, I'm just bored at work.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Waffleman_ posted:

a: don't sling poo poo without sources, especially when it's not relevant to the discussion

b: there is no situation in this mess where jennifer hale is in any way responsible for platinum games lowballing the original bayo VA.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

All I could find is she implyed agricultural companies are putting products that increase the rate of autism which is, uh, a take TM indeed.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

I think any tweets she's made about it have been deleted, and the extrapolation is that if she is, she's probably enough of a lovely person to gently caress over another actor, but yes, this is me reading way too much into the situation, ignore me, I'm just bored at work.

oh word

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012
e: poo poo post

3DBlast fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 15, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

:gas:

rox
Sep 7, 2016

how about we dont

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ah man

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:ughh:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Please don’t Twitter stalk the victim to make you feel better about buying a video game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Time to close the thread again

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wait this isn't the industry thread gently caress

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No ethical consumption under capitalism, etc. etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

No ethical consumption under capitalism, etc. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah even if she has terrible views nobody deserves to be hosed like that for their job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And more actors are speaking out about their pay, like how Sean Chiplock said that two offscreen lines in the Detective Pikachu movie paid him more than voicing three entire characters in Breath of the Wild.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
so far we've blamed:

- jennifer hale somehow

- the actual person who got lowballed in the first place

hmmm who other than platinum / nintendo can we go after next to avoid feeling bad about buying this video game....

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i bet mario is anti vax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1581318611829895170?t=fgyQ78IeKtYWkrnZjnYVLw&s=19