Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I mean you can play games at 1080p 60.. but 4k120 is faster, and better in every way. So is 10Gbe ethernet compared to 1Gbe.

It doesn’t really compare this way.

Using the same concept, it’s like buying the 4K 120Hz monitor. You have potential, but the game isn’t automatically in 4K. The cabling , system , processes , etc need to be up to the task . If your server and a switch are connected at 10Gb, but other stations at 1, that could be worse depending on the traffic type and the hardware. You’ll get that extra zero on the stats screen though.

In this case linking the two things only, a mGig cable adapter with a 6A cable (actual 6A and not various labeled trash from Amazon or similar) would be a great choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp. Well. The server without network card was 1700€, so I guess it doesn't hurt too much to lose a bit extra to the 10Gbe cards.

Anyways, why is robocopy so slow when moving n very large files? Regular copypaste copies at full speed (gigabit), robocopy at 1/10 speed (100mbit) to a SMB share. Adding threads doesn't seem to help the speed. If I don't use /z it skips the folder it's supposed to copy...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 14, 2022

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
e: Started to blame SMB but nevermind, I misread.

I'm not a robocopy expert but with a bit of searching it looks like the /z option uses a header block that it updates after every write to track progress. If you're on a spinning disk this will be a huge hit on an otherwise sequential workload.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 14, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Right. I'll have to test to figure out why it doesn't work at all without /z. Maybe it's just easier to copy the files over with copypaste...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Welp. Well. The server without network card was 1700€, so I guess it doesn't hurt too much to lose a bit extra to the 10Gbe cards.

I'm curious now, what did you buy? :eng101:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Anyways, why is robocopy so slow when moving n very large files? Regular copypaste copies at full speed (gigabit), robocopy at 1/10 speed (100mbit) to a SMB share. Adding threads doesn't seem to help the speed. If I don't use /z it skips the folder it's supposed to copy...

Did you try using /j to use unbuffered IO?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

I'm curious now, what did you buy? :eng101:

Mobo: Supermicro X10 SRi-F 2011
CPU: E5 2680 V4 (14core 3.3GHz)
RAM: 2x32GB DDR4 ECC (yes I know cpu has 4ch, but I guess 2ch will be enough for now..)
Case: white Fractal Define R5
Fans: 3x Fractal GP-14
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12DX i4 with 2x Arctic P14 fans
Wifi/BT card: Asus PCE-AC58BT
SSD: Samsung 980 pro 1TB m.2
HDD: 4x Toshiba MG09 18TB

The only problem so far is the power usage, which is terrible :v: And lack of decent skills to use server software...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Mobo: Supermicro X10 SRi-F 2011
CPU: E5 2680 V4 (14core 3.3GHz)
RAM: 2x32GB DDR4 ECC (yes I know cpu has 4ch, but I guess 2ch will be enough for now..)
Case: white Fractal Define R5
Fans: 3x Fractal GP-14
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12DX i4 with 2x Arctic P14 fans
Wifi/BT card: Asus PCE-AC58BT
SSD: Samsung 980 pro 1TB m.2
HDD: 4x Toshiba MG09 18TB

If there's any consolation, I paid about €1300 for this in april/may:

Asus X99 ROG Strix
E5-2670 v3 (12core 2.6GHz)
128GB ECC DDR4 RAM (4x32GB)
Fractal Design R6
Corsair TX750W
Corsair MP600 1TB NVMe SSD
Quadro P400 GPU
intel 10GbE SFP+ NIC

Adding 9x8TB and an LSI SAS controller puts it at 150W idle after I enabled power saving stuff in BIOS. It's way overkill for what I do :v:

Ihmemies posted:

The only problem so far is the power usage, which is terrible :v: And lack of decent skills to use server software...

How many watts does it use idle?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

If there's any consolation, I paid about €1300 for this in april/may:

Asus X99 ROG Strix
E5-2670 v3 (12core 2.6GHz)
128GB ECC DDR4 RAM (4x32GB)
Fractal Design R6
Corsair TX750W
Corsair MP600 1TB NVMe SSD
Quadro P400 GPU
intel 10GbE SFP+ NIC

Adding 9x8TB and an LSI SAS controller puts it at 150W idle after I enabled power saving stuff in BIOS. It's way overkill for what I do :v:

How many watts does it use idle?

The PC itself was quite cheap, the 4x18TB Toshibas were 316€ each.

There's no power saving in the E5 2xxx platform apparently. It used 70W idle without HDD's. Now it uses 140-150W with 4 HDD's when I'm writing data to the disks. I'll look at it again after this file transfer finishes some day...

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I hope this is the right thread, if there's a better place to ask please let me know

I'm helping a friend with a restaurant where they use tablets running Square to handle all the POS stuff. The tablets are often refusing to connect at the worst times. The internet access is a iphone in tether mode connected to a pc connected to a wireless router in a back room. I figure this might be the root cause of the problems. What would be the cheapest way to improve this? The setup is only used for the POS tablets so I figure it doesn't need much bandwidth. My current plan is to get one of those cellular modems instead of the iPhone/pc setup and add another wifi router to the middle of the restaurant.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pekinduck posted:

I hope this is the right thread, if there's a better place to ask please let me know

I'm helping a friend with a restaurant where they use tablets running Square to handle all the POS stuff. The tablets are often refusing to connect at the worst times. The internet access is a iphone in tether mode connected to a pc connected to a wireless router in a back room. I figure this might be the root cause of the problems. What would be the cheapest way to improve this? The setup is only used for the POS tablets so I figure it doesn't need much bandwidth. My current plan is to get one of those cellular modems instead of the iPhone/pc setup and add another wifi router to the middle of the restaurant.

Budget?

I could recommend a janky solution for a couple hundred or a enterprise grade solution for like 5k or something in between

Is cell internet the only option where they’re at? If they don’t need much bandwidth even a 10 meg dsl line might be more reliable.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Get a real ap and mount it on the ceiling. Unifi, omada are the two simplest ones.
For internet access, if the usual culprits (telco/cable) aren't available, then yeah, rocketsticks (or whatever the local branding is for 5g modem/router) are fairly good if mounted in a spot with good reception (ie, not the basement).

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Budget?

I could recommend a janky solution for a couple hundred or a enterprise grade solution for like 5k or something in between

Is cell internet the only option where they’re at? If they don’t need much bandwidth even a 10 meg dsl line might be more reliable.

Cheap is the priority, we'd be willing to invest in one-time costs but want to keep the monthly bill low. This is in an urban area, all the regular options should be available. "janky solution for a couple hundred" sounds up our alley lol.

unknown posted:

Get a real ap and mount it on the ceiling. Unifi, omada are the two simplest ones.
For internet access, if the usual culprits (telco/cable) aren't available, then yeah, rocketsticks (or whatever the local branding is for 5g modem/router) are fairly good if mounted in a spot with good reception (ie, not the basement).

The iphone at the root of this setup is sitting on a table in a semi-underground concrete cube. Theyres a lot of room for improvement. I could mount an antenna outside no problem.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got my node 804 case so this weekend I will move my ex desktop 8700k mATX in there and then decomission my 2500k unraid server. Served me well!

I have a RTX 2070 Im am putting in there for transcoding too.

The node 804 box tape looks sus I am wondering if amazon sent me something previously opened :sigh:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

priznat posted:

The node 804 box tape looks sus I am wondering if amazon sent me something previously opened :sigh:

Might want to check that out ASAP :v:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Pekinduck posted:

Cheap is the priority, we'd be willing to invest in one-time costs but want to keep the monthly bill low. This is in an urban area, all the regular options should be available. "janky solution for a couple hundred" sounds up our alley lol.

The iphone at the root of this setup is sitting on a table in a semi-underground concrete cube. Theyres a lot of room for improvement. I could mount an antenna outside no problem.

Sounds like the very first thing they need to do is reach out to local ISPs and see who can provide service. You don't need much and if you are in an urban area it should be pretty cheap. If nobody can provide a wired connection then the big providers may have an LTE offering in the area.

They should also consider if they want to offer guest wifi, which is becoming standard practice almost everywhere.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Encountered something insane today.

Setup: ATT Fiber with a BGW-200 modem. OPNsense installed on custom hardware running the pfatt bypass in bridge mode to let me bypass the BGW-200. WLAN is served by a TP-Link XE5300 that I got a good deal on at Costco.

Things had been operating with no issues for several months when out of nowhere, devices on WLAN could not see devices on either LAN or WAN.

OPNsense indicated nothing wrong, but I bounced it anyway. Did not resolve the issue. I then bounced the TP-Link. No resolution. I then disconnected from WLAN and tried to WireGuard into the home server via cellular connection. This connected fine, and I could see that wired devices on the LAN had full access to the LAN and WAN.

Certain that the TP-Link was at fault, I hard reset it. No joy. I then changed the switch port that the TP-Link was plugged into. No joy. Finally, I moved the cable plugged into the TP-Link port 1 to port 2. Everything was instantly fixed. I have not retested port 1 but assume it is dead. I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen an Ethernet port die that was not related to an electrical mishap.

Moral of the story is, buy from a place with an unlimited return policy if you must buy sketchy hardware.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Do you get a lot of lightning around your area?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Binary Badger posted:

Do you get a lot of lightning around your area?

No, clear morning that day. Also, I’d be surprised to have the TP Link bite it due to a surge but not any of the upstream equipment (switch, OPN hardware, ATT gateway, ATT ONT).

I was just surprised to see a port be at fault when there are a dozen software-related things that could go wrong in my setup.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pekinduck posted:

If you're in an urban area, and taking payment from customers is how you run a business, you can get a landline internet run. Then from there a router linked to one or two access points. Depending on the size of the space.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For myself, now that the UXG-Pro has had some time to get into the market, its time to finally replace my Edgerouter. For anyone who has used one, can a UXG be setup without any of the cloud stuff? That was a big issue with the dream machines last year right? I want to keep my current local unifi console deployment

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

If you're in an urban area, and taking payment from customers is how you run a business, you can get a landline internet run. Then from there a router linked to one or two access points. Depending on the size of the space.

Thanks, im getting proper wired internet installed.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
What would prevent a 10/100 copper port from switching to base 10 when connecting? If you connect a native 10 base device it will establish a link but any 10/100 or 10/100/1000 device will not switch to 10 base, it's like the cable is still disconnected.

I'm having a hard time finding any relevant information probably because I don't know the correct terminology, I get a lot of articles that are search terms repeated over and over with no actual information.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ethernet has an autonegotiation protocol where both the switch/hub and device try to find the greatest common speed and duplex they support. A bad or improperly terminated cable, or misconfiguration on managed devices could cause a downgrade to a slower link speed but generally they should prefer the higher speeds.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I have found some cheap devices that won't do auto-negotiation, and just do 100 or give up.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Thanks for the term.

It's a base 10 MM fiber to base 10 rj45 media converter, I'm guessing the auto negotiation failed to get all the way to the faster devices where the base 10 only device didn't need it to just start working. Time to find a faster media converter.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress. Of course this loving stupid gaming case/mobo doesn't have room for a card in 2022. I forgot about that. PCIE slots are replaced with m.2 slots.

In the lowest slot the front panel audio connector interfered with the heatsink.

I probably should install a fan to the heatsink. IF THERE'S ROOM. Some loving slim fit noctua may fit still, and it can draw air through the perforated pcie shroud.

At least the cards work. In linux it worked straight out of the box. In Windows I had to manually download Intel Drivers, manually unzip them, manually open devmgmt with admin rights, manually install the driver twice for 2 separate lan devices/ports. Great experience really.

Will these X540 intel NICs cook without the tiny fan when they're idling?

Edit:

also the click tabs from the other card are broken, great. I have to ask if I can swap it for a functioning one. Some idiot has just forcefully unplugged cables from the NIC or they are not durable at all.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 18, 2022

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I wish fractal or anybody made a case designed for putting the gpu in the bottom pcie slot, I want access to all my slots.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How does pihole actually work? I thought it would be some kind of proxy server which I just boot up in docker, setup the device to use pihole's IP as a proxy and be done with it. But no. I pulled pihole/pihole from docker hub but when it tries to start it says:

code:
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: starting
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: starting
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: starting
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started
s6-rc: info: service cron: starting
s6-rc: info: service cron successfully started
s6-rc: info: service _uid-gid-changer: starting
s6-rc: info: service _uid-gid-changer successfully started
s6-rc: info: service _startup: starting
  [i] Starting docker specific checks & setup for docker pihole/pihole
  [i] Setting capabilities on pihole-FTL where possible
  [i] Applying the following caps to pihole-FTL:
        * CAP_CHOWN
        * CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
        * CAP_NET_RAW
  [i] Ensuring basic configuration by re-running select functions from basic-install.sh
  [i] Installing configs from /etc/.pihole...
  [i] Existing dnsmasq.conf found... it is not a Pi-hole file, leaving alone!
  [i] Installing /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf...
  [✓] Installed /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf
  [i] Installing /etc/.pihole/advanced/06-rfc6761.conf...
  [✓] Installed /etc/dnsmasq.d/06-rfc6761.conf
  [i] Installing latest logrotate script...
	[i] Existing logrotate file found. No changes made.
  [i] Assigning password defined by Environment Variable
  [✓] New password set
  [i] Added ENV to php:
			"TZ" => "Europe/Helsinki",
			"PIHOLE_DOCKER_TAG" => "",
			"PHP_ERROR_LOG" => "/var/log/lighttpd/error-pihole.log",
			"CORS_HOSTS" => "",
			"VIRTUAL_HOST" => "0.0.0.0",
  [i] Using IPv4 and IPv6
  [i] Preexisting ad list /etc/pihole/adlists.list detected (exiting setup_blocklists early)
  [i] Existing DNS servers detected in setupVars.conf. Leaving them alone
  [i] Applying pihole-FTL.conf setting LOCAL_IPV4=0.0.0.0
  [i] FTL binding to default interface: eth0
  [i] Enabling Query Logging
  [i] Testing lighttpd config: Syntax OK
  [i] All config checks passed, cleared for startup ...
  [i] Docker start setup complete
  Pi-hole version is v5.13 (Latest: null)
  AdminLTE version is v5.16 (Latest: null)
  FTL version is v5.18.2 (Latest: null)
  Container tag is: 
  [i] pihole-FTL () will be started as pihole
s6-rc: info: service _startup successfully started
s6-rc: info: service pihole-FTL: starting
s6-rc: info: service pihole-FTL successfully started
s6-rc: info: service lighttpd: starting
s6-rc: info: service lighttpd successfully started
s6-rc: info: service _gravityonboot: starting
s6-rc: info: service _gravityonboot successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting
  Checking if custom gravity.db is set in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
  [i] Neutrino emissions detected...

[✓] Pulling blocklist source list into range
  [i] Preparing new gravity database...Stopping pihole-FTL
  [✗] Unable to create new database /etc/pihole/gravity.db_temp

[i] Cleaning up stray matter...
  [✓] Cleaning up stray matter
  [✗] DNS service is NOT running
Stopping pihole-FTL
pihole-FTL: no process found
Then it starts to repeat those two last lines ad inifnitun. I guess I am missing something.

I have a DHCP sever already running in pfsense, I just want to route one ipad's internet traffic through pihole.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 19, 2022

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Pihole does DNS filtering. You set it as your DNS resolver, not proxy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pihole is just a project that integrates a WebUI and combined DHCP daemon and recursive caching name server daemon called dnsmasq.
You either configure your devices to use it to look up things via resolv.conf (or the equivalent on other OS), or get clients up for you by relying on the DHCP functionality.

It looks to me like it's not got the right permissions in /etc/pihole/, so that'd be the first thing to fix.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SamDabbers posted:

Pihole does DNS filtering. You set it as your DNS resolver, not proxy.

So I have to configure DNS servers to pihole, then pihole works as a DNS service for devices where I manually add the IP to use pihole's ip instead of automatic DNS server? Hmm. The pihole default config suggested: https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole

volumes:
- './etc-pihole:/etc/pihole'
- './etc-dnsmasq.d:/etc/dnsmasq.d'

So I put the same to volume settings:

Every other docker container has worked just fine for now, so I have no idea what to really do when things don't work :v:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 19, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Your clients use the Pi-hole as a DNS server, and the Pi-hole in turn applies blocklists and either returns "no such domain" or forwards the request to whichever public DNS servers you specify, and returns that result.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Your clients use the Pi-hole as a DNS server, and the Pi-hole in turn applies blocklists and either returns "no such domain" or forwards the request to whichever public DNS servers you specify, and returns that result.

Well that makes sense. Just need to get pihole running then. At least the ports 53 and 80 should be available:

code:
root@debdocker:~# ss -tulpn | grep LISTEN
tcp   LISTEN 0      128                           0.0.0.0:8123       0.0.0.0:*    users:(("python3",pid=1239,fd=10))    
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                          0.0.0.0:8443       0.0.0.0:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=965,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                          0.0.0.0:8000       0.0.0.0:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=744,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                          0.0.0.0:6881       0.0.0.0:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=797,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                          0.0.0.0:9443       0.0.0.0:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=721,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                          0.0.0.0:9000       0.0.0.0:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=772,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                          0.0.0.0:8080       0.0.0.0:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=997,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                          0.0.0.0:8085       0.0.0.0:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=864,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      128                              [::]:8123          [::]:*    users:(("python3",pid=1239,fd=8))     
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                             [::]:8443          [::]:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=978,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                             [::]:8000          [::]:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=752,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                             [::]:6881          [::]:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=803,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                             [::]:9443          [::]:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=727,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                             [::]:9000          [::]:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=780,fd=4)) 
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                             [::]:8080          [::]:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=1006,fd=4))
tcp   LISTEN 0      4096                             [::]:8085          [::]:*    users:(("docker-proxy",pid=871,fd=4)) 
I tried deleting the container and redoing it but no dice.

Some source talked about old packages, but 2.5.x of this whatever should be new enough:

code:
libseccomp2/stable,now 2.5.1-1+deb11u1 amd64 [installed]
When I stop the pihole container, it stays pihole-FTL is stopped succesfully? So it's running but ??

code:
  [i] Time until retry: 114Stopping pihole-FTL
pihole-FTL: no process found
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service _gravityonboot: stopping
s6-rc: info: service _gravityonboot successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service lighttpd: stopping

[i] Time until retry: 113Stopping lighttpd
s6-rc: info: service lighttpd successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service pihole-FTL: stopping
s6-rc: info: service pihole-FTL successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service _startup: stopping
s6-rc: info: service _startup successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service _uid-gid-changer: stopping
s6-rc: info: service _uid-gid-changer successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service cron: stopping
Stopping cron
s6-rc: info: service cron successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: stopping
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: stopping
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully stopped
Edit: I don't really know about dns either though. I think I don't have any clients pointing to any specific DNS server ip anywhere. I just route all WAN traffic through VPN and I assume there's a DNS server in VPN server's end.

Edit2: realized I can still log in to the web interface to see poo poo beter:

code:
2022-10-19 16:49:05	DNSMASQ_CONFIG	FTL failed to start due to bad option at line 1 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/adlists.list
... :shrug:

The file has only one entry, but the container has no editors, so I just remove the file. Next up:

code:
FTL failed to start due to bad option at line 1 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dns-servers.conf
Man these error messages suck hairy balls.

Edit3: I deleted a bunch of poo poo and then realized the problem is elsewhere. Instructions said to create 2 volumes, but wtf it needs 2 for?

volumes:
- './etc-pihole:/etc/pihole'
- './etc-dnsmasq.d:/etc/dnsmasq.d'

So I just dropped the dnsmasq volume and now it booted up fine??

Edit4: now the fucker ignores queries from my ipad since it's on a differnet network (docker virtual network which is connected to my LAN via docker bridge or some stuff like that)

code:
ignoring query from non-local network 192.168.1.53 (logged only once)
Edit5: Pihole -> settings -> DNS -> Respond only on interface eth0 ... now it works, finally. Such a hassle for one device!! (ipad)

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 19, 2022

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

SpeedFreek posted:

Thanks for the term.

It's a base 10 MM fiber to base 10 rj45 media converter, I'm guessing the auto negotiation failed to get all the way to the faster devices where the base 10 only device didn't need it to just start working. Time to find a faster media converter.

Oh, media converters are different - they don't do auto negotiation. They convert the media format (ie:fiber to copper), and not the data - many (old ones) were built to literally not care about the signalling/packet contents (ie:zero buffering - bit in on one interface goes out the other), so are unable to do any form of negotiation - some couldn't even do link failure pass through.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does anyone have 6e mesh setup they are happy with? I've seen lots of complaints with the 6e models from Eero, TP-link, etc about stability, consistent performance, etc.

I'm sitting on the first gen Google Wifi with 2 nodes right now and looking to upgrade but seems like maybe the best answer for now is looking at a cheaper wifi6 option while things shake out.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Maneki Neko posted:

Does anyone have 6e mesh setup they are happy with? I've seen lots of complaints with the 6e models from Eero, TP-link, etc about stability, consistent performance, etc.

I'm sitting on the first gen Google Wifi with 2 nodes right now and looking to upgrade but seems like maybe the best answer for now is looking at a cheaper wifi6 option while things shake out.

A buddy has the ZenWIFI 6e set and says it works great.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought 2 supermicro 10gbe cards. One of them had broken rj45 connectors. Cables won’t click into them. They sent me another one and said keep the old for “less critical networks ;-)”. So. I could use it on my htpc and maybe use hot glue to secure the cable? They really didn’t want the card back although I suggested it. Now I’m wondering how expensive 10gbe switches are..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kinda weird how Ubiquiti is now listing all of their wired products with the name "UISP" in front of everything.

The venerated EdgeRouter X is now the UISP EdgeRouter X, and have tweaked the sales copy to sell it as a gigabit router. Geez maybe more like a half gigabit?

Guess it doesn't matter much anyway since like 50% of their lines are out of stock at any given moment, with bot-driven opportunists using scripts to bulk order anything that comes into stock to sell on eBay. :sigh:

They now have two items which I suppose will eventually supplant the previous line of EdgeRouters and switches: UISP Router and UISP Switch.

The Router has a dual-core MIPS running at 880 MHz, it's literally the EdgeRouter X with twice the RAM and Flash and the same CPU, and 8 PoE (passive) ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's kinda impressive how many Octeon CPUs that Cavium managed to get onto the market, before they got acquired by MicroSemi, for there to still be stock left.

The ASIC they use to fastpath network traffic (unless you're doing DPI, if memory serves) is plenty fast for doing 1Mpps of 64 byte Ethernet packets when I used it.
If you're doing DPI, set up a divert port to a more powerful machine running suricata.