Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Played a bit of Cultic this morning. It looks great. Pistol enemies seem to be able to shoot me from miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Played a bit of Cultic this morning. It looks great. Pistol enemies seem to be able to shoot me from miles away.

Sure, but they're not hitscan - keep moving baybee

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah they may not have the character of Blood Cultists but they defo have their aim

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://youtu.be/AvjXhpnTyiU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Trepang2 is going to be sick

:hmmyes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
cultic is in fact extremely good and generally feels like someone made a much better and less janky version of blood

however, I will second that the pistol is insanely good, to the point where it feels like it overshadows the other weapons. you don't even need to upgrade accuracy on it to kill guys at long range, you'll only whiff shots from extremely far and even then you just shoot a bit more and it's fine because it gets a bazillion ammo.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm surprised to see the turnaround on Prodeus here. I'm only now starting to mess around with the community-made stuff. Personally I found myself using all the weapons pretty frequently, not unlike with good Doom play. They all fill their niches nicely, although I agree that the Plasma Rifle is a little too perfect, and the regular shotgun gets obsolteted once you get the Auto Shotgun. They all feel fine to me. I can see the devs rebalancing things as needed but I think they're in a good place right now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo this owns

(I fixed the link)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

gently caress yeah this looks amazing. I never tried watching these movies

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Had no idea it was supposed to...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

gently caress yeah this looks amazing. I never tried watching these movies

I've seen the first two and they're pretty good. didn't know there was a new one i need to watch it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm surprised to see the turnaround on Prodeus here. I'm only now starting to mess around with the community-made stuff. Personally I found myself using all the weapons pretty frequently, not unlike with good Doom play. They all fill their niches nicely, although I agree that the Plasma Rifle is a little too perfect, and the regular shotgun gets obsolteted once you get the Auto Shotgun. They all feel fine to me. I can see the devs rebalancing things as needed but I think they're in a good place right now.

I haven’t turned around on it. Game owns.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

:yeah:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yea, a couple of people are just bein' a lil hyperbolic. It's currently 5th in my GOTY ranking

My two issues were the overabundance of ammo pickups and the sound design on the shotgun being a bit weak, but that didn't impact the fun I had at all. I also love the way it looks.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The 7th Guest posted:

Yea, a couple of people are just bein' a lil hyperbolic. It's currently 5th in my GOTY ranking

My two issues were the overabundance of ammo pickups and the sound design on the shotgun being a bit weak, but that didn't impact the fun I had at all. I also love the way it looks.
The poor balancing of the enemies and respawn system ruins it for me, which sucks because it's so close to being easily my favourite modern "retro" shooter. If it was just a mediocre game all around I wouldn't feel so harshly about it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I like Prodeus way more than a lot of recent Boomer Shooters. A lot of them have a lot of gimmicks which is fine, but at some point, I just need a game that focuses on shooting enemies instead of narrative stuff or non-shooting gameplay gimmicks. And while I was able to overcome my icky feelings with the Ion Fury devs and give that game a shot, I can't abide by legacy Build Engine issues in a game released in the 21st century. Prodeus is just very pure and activates the part of my brain that still loves to replay Doom 2 on the reg.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pennsylvanian posted:

I like Prodeus way more than a lot of recent Boomer Shooters. A lot of them have a lot of gimmicks which is fine, but at some point, I just need a game that focuses on shooting enemies instead of narrative stuff or non-shooting gameplay gimmicks. And while I was able to overcome my icky feelings with the Ion Fury devs and give that game a shot, I can't abide by legacy Build Engine issues in a game released in the 21st century. Prodeus is just very pure and activates the part of my brain that still loves to replay Doom 2 on the reg.

I think that's a really good way to put it actually - if you're the kind of person who "replays Doom 2" a lot, then Prodeus is pretty good for you. But if you're the kind of person who "plays a lot of Doom WADs" then Prodeus falls pretty flat. (And this is not meant to be an insult, to be clear, just I thought that was an insight into why it might appeal to some people and not to others.)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really don't like the way Prodeus handles secrets: instead of there being something useful there's usually an item that I then take to an entirely separate boring hub level to unlock something. Doom Eternal did it, too. I hope it doesn't become a trend. Part of the fun of secrets is finding cool stuff in there. Sometimes it's just a bunch of ammo or armor or whatever, sometimes its a gun that you wouldn't normally get until way later. It's a reward for poking around. A coupon for a weapon later doesn't have quite the same punch to it. If you're gonna give me upgrade currency, that's fine, just have the way to spend it be opening a menu. Walking across an empty hub map to buy a thingy doesn't add anything but busy work.

It also bothered me in Prodeus that the things you buy were either hugely important parts of your abilities (the plasma gun, mobility powers) or underwhelming (the quadbarrel shotgun that doesn't outperform the regular shotgun).

Decent game, tho. I'm also in the camp that likes the look and sound of it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arivia posted:

I think that's a really good way to put it actually - if you're the kind of person who "replays Doom 2" a lot, then Prodeus is pretty good for you. But if you're the kind of person who "plays a lot of Doom WADs" then Prodeus falls pretty flat. (And this is not meant to be an insult, to be clear, just I thought that was an insight into why it might appeal to some people and not to others.)
That's definitely the vibe that I got from goon reviews, so it's a valid insight. And there are criticisms from the latter that are totally valid too, to be fair. They just weren't issues for me, or I disagree with 'em.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah, I definitely dislike the idea that I'm locked out of the double jump for a few levels because I didn't find all the secrets.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As an observation, I get the impression that, with Prodeus' abrupt ending and the presence of enemies, weapons, and other assets in the level builder that are not present in the base campaign, there's the intention of releasing additional official campaigns in the future.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

That's definitely the vibe that I got from goon reviews, so it's a valid insight. And there are criticisms from the latter that are totally valid too, to be fair. They just weren't issues for me, or I disagree with 'em.

It's at least nice to be able to just be like "oh, the mechanics in this aren't to my taste" instead of issues with chud poo poo in Ion Fury or something. :unsmith: everyone deserves good boomershootering.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm pretty apathetic about secret hunting but I liked how Overload did it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

I'm pretty apathetic about secret hunting but I liked how Overload did it.

How did Overload do it? It’s in my queue but I still haven’t played it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They’re just shootable walls that open iirc. Caveat: I can’t remember finding any secrets in Overload except by accidentally shooting walls.

Overload is really good though. My favorite Descent-like, including Descent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What other Descent-likes even are there? Forsaken, I guess

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

There was also that indie game "Sublevel Zero" that came out several years ago, but it's a Roguelite so that may not jive with some people.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
There was also Descent Underground which got nuked from Steam and never left early access. At least I only spent about £1 on it as it was in a random indie bundle years back

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
bought and played CULTIC through in a single sitting, it owns. Can't wait for episode 2. It definitely goes a bit easy on you so i'd suggest most people with any shooter experience play on hard though. It's like if you cross RE4 with Blood, and anyone who doesn't find that appealing should reconsider their life choices. At 10$ it's a no brainer, buy it immediately!!

I also played the demo for DISDAIN which I liked enough to put on a wish list. The GZDoom 3d models are charming when they're not trying to emulate Doom's art style, and the guns are like if the shotguns in Quake didn't suck.

Next up is Prodeus I think, but the thread seems pretty ambivalent on it so maybe i'll wait

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Episode 2 of Turbo Overkill has been dated for Halloween, bringing with it the spookiest thing of all: A grappling hook. Oh, and a chainsaw bike.

https://twitter.com/Apogee_Ent/status/1581353637812572161

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

Sublevel Zero, RetroVirus, Zerograve, Desecrators (still in EA)...I feel like there was one more, with an emphasis on big asteroids and kinetic weapons, but I can't remember the title and Google is failing me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

skasion posted:

They’re just shootable walls that open iirc. Caveat: I can’t remember finding any secrets in Overload except by accidentally shooting walls.

Overload is really good though. My favorite Descent-like, including Descent.

Not just that but as i recall the game gave you an audio cue when you were near one.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Sublevel Zero, RetroVirus, Zerograve, Desecrators (still in EA)...I feel like there was one more, with an emphasis on big asteroids and kinetic weapons, but I can't remember the title and Google is failing me.

Maybe Miner Wars 2081? By the space engineers people.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

For older ones there's also Terracide and Virus:The Game

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX2Sb48tIzk

Never seen this before, looks cool

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hta6HrN8DaM

What if Half-Life 2 was Doom Eternal?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Is that... Korn?

Lol

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Yeah, that looks like Half-Life, only extra linear. The pistol might as well be shooting blanks; I don't remember it being that weak in the source material.

That, however, looks absolutely nothing like Half-Life. They should probably ditch the vestigial resemblances and make it its own property at this point.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Much deserved. Cultic rocks, just beat it yesterday.

https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1581456225002483712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Turin Turambar posted:

Is that... Korn?

Lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who instantly aged themself by recognizing that