Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StrangersInTheNight posted:

it's like something written by Roald Dahl

If it were written by Roald Dahl the kids would find some way to use their game to cast a magic spell that causes the PE teacher to die horribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
AITA for telling my dad and his family that my son's name is none of their business?

quote:

My wife Briony (29f) and I (30m) had our little boy last week. He's our first child. When Bri was pregnant we had talked about names and she knew I would love to name our child (we did not know the sex) after my mom who died when I was 8 years old. My mom's name works as a unisex name and we both loved a nickname for it so we decided to go ahead with that as his first name. We did not announce the name until he was born, though we told my maternal grandparents beforehand.

My dad and I not all that close. We've had our differences over the years and one of those has come up again. How controlling he is. It was always there but came up after he and his wife Jana had my half sister. There was a whole argument about me being present for the birth because Jana's kids were going to be. How he saw it as a great bonding moment and important for me to witness. There was also stuff like don't mention mom around Jana or her kids. Don't speak to my maternal family members if Jana or her kids are in the house. Don't skip college and go for an apprenticeship, that's not what our family does. Don't move out at 18 if you're staying in town. He also tried to dictate mine and Bri's wedding.

So fast forward to now. My dad brings the whole family over to meet my son and as soon as they hear the name it becomes clear they are not happy. My dad and his stepson tell me unless we'd name a future daughter Jana then my son's name should not be after my mom. Jana tells me how uncomfortable the names makes her. Her daughter (not my half sister but her daughter from a different relationship) tells me the name takes my son right out of their family and places a wall up. My half siblings say it's weird for him to be named after someone who isn't part of the family. This is all coming at me and I had to get loud for them to stop. I told them my son's name is none of their business and if they don't like it, they do not need to be part of his life. Cue arguing from everyone and I make them leave. My dad called back the next day alone and told me I was an rear end for saying my son's name was none of their business and that they didn't have to be in his life. He said I am doing everything to make them fee like they don't matter and aren't family to me. He demanded I change the name. I told him to go to hell and stay away from us.

AITA?

Oh no, they'll never speak to op again. Love it when the trash loudly takes itself out.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wouldn't they be sending emails or letters or calling by that point to tell you that you need to pay something on your 1500 dollar balance though?

Could be enrolled in automated minimum-required monthly payments. So they may have initially noticed that their checking account was down like $50 more than expected. Then not thought too hard about investigating either the difference from their internal calculation, or what the full balance behind the transfer to credit was.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
He straight up said she had been paying some of it off.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lmao I re-read the christmas dad one, he's not getting back to wife till 6PM

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

run on sentience posted:

He straight up said she had been paying some of it off.

Which also means she probably had access to the account. Which means she controlled where billing statements went.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

AceClown posted:

lmao I re-read the christmas dad one, he's not getting back to wife till 6PM

When he said he did Christmas in the morning with his daughter and ex I figured he would get home around noon. Dude is spending all day there and wonders why his wife is uoset.

I kind of want to know why the divorce happened and who instigated it. My money is on the ex being the one that first filed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fezz posted:

AITA for telling my dad and his family that my son's name is none of their business?

Oh no, they'll never speak to op again. Love it when the trash loudly takes itself out.

It also solves their problem of having the last vestige of She Who Shall Not Be Named in their lives. Win-win!

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Anyone got a link to that post where OP was working on their car and blasting loud music all day, and the neighbors were complaining, but they argued it was totally all right because they weren't making noise during quiet hours? (I.e. they started the music at exactly 7 AM and usually stopped at 10 PM.)

e: I actually found it; took a little digging because there are lots of "quiet hours" posts: https://old.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/anqk5v/aita_for_blasting_my_subwoofers_in_my_own_parking/

ScienceSeagull fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 15, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ScienceSeagull posted:

Anyone got a link to that post where OP was working on their car and blasting loud music all day, and the neighbors were complaining, but they argued it was totally all right because they weren't making noise during quiet hours? (I.e. they started the music at exactly 7 AM and usually stopped at 10 PM.)

e: I actually found it; took a little digging because there are lots of "quiet hours" posts: https://old.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/anqk5v/aita_for_blasting_my_subwoofers_in_my_own_parking/

quote:

AITA for blasting my subwoofers in my own parking spot during non quiet hours at my apartment complex?

Posting from a throwaway for whatever reason, just don't want this to blend into my other subs.

So basically my car is my life. I have a tuned Subaru Impreza WRX STI that is my hobby, my transportation, my life, I'm more comfortable behind the wheel than I am in my own bed. Its not quite as fast as I want it but it looks amazing and the sound system is seriously as good as it can be.

I live in a large apartment complex in Tucson, I'm guessing probably 100 units or so. Not sure. Anyways the complex is really cool because a lot of places won't let you work on your car, well I can pay an extra premium every month to get a mechanics spot under shade. It's an extra 2 bills a month but so worth it.

When I work on my car I BLAST my system. It helps me think and focus. Also important to note our complex has quiet hours between and 10pm and 8am, I follow these to the letter but I do need to work on my car so some Saturday's and Sunday's I crank poo poo from 8:01am to 9:59pm. I am not breaking any rules at all.

I moved in in January and this Sunday was apparently a major problem. I had two people ask me to turn it down. I totally did but one came back and said its not the volume, it's the bass, can I turn the bass down. I said I would try but I guess that wasn't good enough because he came down a third time. Finally I told him I paid for the spot, I wasn't breaking any rules, I'd only be out there until 10pm. He said his kids had to go to bed at 8:30 and the bass from my car was rattling his walls. I told him I'd done my best to accommodate him but I was done. He told me he'd call the police (who never showed) and talk to management. I just stopped responding to him and cranked my system to drown our his barking. I worked on my car until 9:59 when I turned my system off.

I got an email from my apartment manager asking if she could come by. She's really cool and I want to help her but I feel like I'm paying extra for the mechanics spot, I'm not breaking any rules and that guy had no right to talk to me like that. She said she managed a nice place and she's gotten complaint after complaint about my car. I told her I was sorry but I was still well within my rights and not breaking rules. She asked me to please consider for her sake using headphones Or earbuds if music is that important to me. I said I'd try,

I worked on my car all night last night and used ear buds and it just wasn't the same. I spent thousands of dollars and so much time to tune my system perfectly and to not use it when I want sucks. I want to help her out but am I even being an rear end in a top hat in the first place?

UPDATE-I guess since everyone thought I was the rear end in a top hat you'll be happy to know my WRX got keyed.

quote:

I'll so loving pissed because it wasn't even a month ago I drove it to Cali to get it repainted and I came out this morning and it has key marks all up and down the side some even down to metal. I stopped playing bass in my mechanics spot so no one had any right or reason to do this. This isn't a touch up job either this will have to be taken to metal and reprimed for it to look right and I don't know about insurance since they don't value a 2001 WRX STI the same I do. This sucks so bad.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

an idiot posted:

and I don't know about insurance since they don't value a 2001 WRX STI the same I do.

So good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Classic me sowing vs me reaping story

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for laughing at my fiance when he got pinkeye at the strippers?

quote:

I was raised by a couple of sex positive Gen Xers who taught me to enjoy life as long as I wasn't hurting anyone.

My fiance was raised by Mormons. Nothing wrong with Mormons. His family didn't cut him off when he left the church but they are still distant from him. They think I'm the devil 😈.

So one of his friends from work is getting married and my boyfriend went to his bachelor's party in Montreal. I'm not against sex work so long as it isn't exploitative. I told him to go have fun and have him $100 in singles because I know Canadians use coins and I have no idea what the stripper games are like there.

So he came home with conjunctivitis. Pink eye. From getting too close to a stripper's butt I imagine. As soon as I saw him I knew what happened and I laughed. I mean who gets pinkeye at 28? Once again I trust my fiance. He loves me. I love him. I know he was just having fun with his friends. So I got him the drops and made sure there were lots of clean towels and face cloths for him.

I also put a plastic bag besides the dirty clothes hamper for anything that went near his eye to be seperate so we could wash it in hot water.

He is embarrassed and says I made him feel like an idiot for laughing at him. I feel bad but I think it was funny.

:wtc:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hughlander posted:

Lol I mean his family thinks she's the devil corrupting him, he does something like this. Therefore corruption working? I mean in her perspective it's just getting him away from Mormonism more and more.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

when i was in college my neighborhood was for some reason prime mission territory for mormons and jws. if i had known the phrase "a stripper farted on my eyeball and gave me pinkeye" i absolutely would have used that to describe my near-constant allergy symptoms in both religious and secular situations alike

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
more likely to get pink eye from the dollar bills i think

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hughlander posted:

At least this means he wipes his rear end right

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hughlander posted:

"I mean who gets pinkeye at 28?"

This is Bob Costas at Sochi erasure.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I got pink eye once from getting a big honking chunk of plaster in my eye while doing demo in our house.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Childfree sister [32f] thinks her husband [35m] is the father of my [26f] baby

quote:

I have 2 sons. My older child \[8m\] has a father who is involved in his life, my ex, and that's all fine. My younger child \[2m\]'s father is not in the picture, and never has been which is for the best. I know who he is, my son will know who he is when he's old enough, and until then my son has my boyfriend \[29m\] of a year and my brother-in-law \[35m\] of about four years.

I did not ask my brother-in-law to be involved with my son. I knew both he and my sister were childfree, and do not particularly like kids, so I thought at best he'd be a distant uncle, but while I was pregnant, I admitted to them that I felt alone and was scared at the prospect of true single motherhood with this child whose father wasn't involved, and my brother-in-law said that I wasn't alone, because we were family, so he and my sister would be happy to be there for my child.

When my son was born, my brother-in-law stepped up in a way I didn't expect. He's still very firmly childfree, won't babysit or anything like that, but he's an involved uncle. He cares about not just my younger son, but my older one, too. He's always up for a game of catch with them, he tags along on days out to the zoo or the park, in a crisis I can ask him to do the school run, though he prefers I don't, but it's nice to know that in an emergency I have someone who cares about the kids nearby.

This is enough for my sister to decide that, despite me telling her who my son's real father is, her husband is the father of my younger son. She says they look alike, which they don't, and that he wouldn't be this attached to a kid he didn't create. I said she knows who the father is and I can't believe she'd accuse me of screwing her husband, and he has a completely normal uncle/nephew bond with both kids. She threw him out of their place right after this conversation but he moved back in the next day, and it seems their issues are resolved, but my sister still thinks he's the father of my child, and doesn't trust me, and she's very happy to tell our siblings \[35m, 30f, 28m\] this. I want to resolve this issue, but my sister is unwilling to hear reason.

What can I do to regain my sister's trust and get her to listen to me?

TL;DR: Sister thinks I shagged her husband because he's close to my kid. I'm trying to tell her that we didn't do anything but she no longer trusts me. How do I convince her I'm telling the truth?

In the comments:

quote:

She has asked for a DNA test, but she wants it done through one of those ancestry-type services. I've said that I'll do a DNA test in an actual lab that will test for paternity, but I don't want to use one of the online services due to their lack of data protection. My sister says that as the nearest lab to us is a few hours away, this is proof that I don't want a DNA test done as I'm trying to make it more difficult for us to do.

quote:

The only other reason I can think of is the situation with the real father. A lab like I want would just test the paternity between my sister's husband and my son, whereas an Ancestry test would store his information and match it to other people. It's possible my sister wants to link my son up with his bio father. What I can't understand, if this is her motivation, is why she would want to do that as she knows the dad is uninvolved for good reasons and I don't want to re-involve him.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whatever motivations the sister has, they ain't good

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i bet it's something like "if the bio dad comes back my husband won't be as involved with the kids"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

There was a crazy one before where the sister wanted to blow up her marriage leading to her husband and sister cheating on her for real. She had a camera to record it so she’d ask for a divorce and be able to keep the house. It blew up instead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

There was a crazy one before where the sister wanted to blow up her marriage leading to her husband and sister cheating on her for real. She had a camera to record it so she’d ask for a divorce and be able to keep the house. It blew up instead.

The house?? :ohdear:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think the answer is more simple. They are child free but the sister is a child free to a much much higher degree than the husband and literally can not understand him interacting with a child at any level

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE-I guess since everyone thought I was the rear end in a top hat you'll be happy to know my WRX got keyed.

2001 WRX STI

This bit always stuck out to me. The WRX didn't even come to the US until 2002, and the STi much later. You can modify a 2001 Impreza into STi spec, and it would definitely lead to insurance undervaluing it. Maybe they were just glossing over that, but still.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I think the answer is more simple. They are child free but the sister is a child free to a much much higher degree than the husband and literally can not understand him interacting with a child at any level

I initially figured it was that and/or the sister is actually the one cheating and this is some kind of bizarre projection. But the thing about her demanding an ancestry DNA thing and refusing an actual paternity test is just weird. I think the OP might be onto something with thinking the sister wants to find out the identity of the bio dad. There's enough stories of people going behind their partner's back in order to force a reconnection with estranged family that it's not crazy to think the sister might be trying to do something along those lines. Why, who the gently caress knows. It's also possible she's just really stupid and there is absolutely no thought process behind her actions other than her being angry about a baby. Maybe she doesn't actually want real proof he isn't the dad because then she won't be able to complain about it anymore?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Boom.

My (24f) sister (28f) is convinced that her husband (26m) is the father of my baby, despite a DNA test proving he isn't and identifying the real father

quote:

The real father can't legally claim our son without causing himself issues, so we agreed to an informal arrangement where he didn't claim him but still paid support. I gave my sister his name, and he got on a video call with her and verified that he was the father, he just can't do a formal DNA test or claim our son. To clarify by formal DNA test I mean one that would be court ordered and result in him taking parental rights, while the informal test was done privately and we have agreed not to take it to a court.

Despite the actual father telling my sister that he was the father and the DNA test, my sister is still convinced that the father is her husband as they share a significant physical resemblance that the bio dad also shares. Other than the physical resemblance, which I would say is debateable as he's a baby and looks like a potato or a Sontaran most days, my sister suspects that her husband and I had an affair because her husband and I have a lot in common and were friends before they got together, and he's really good with my son. We're also all living together so she thinks there was opportunity.

We told her until we were blue in the face that her husband wasn't the father, and we got another test through the same facility that did the test on the real father to prove it, but because it was done by the same facility, my sister then suggested that we switched the names on the test results. At this point I have no idea what to do. She's being incredibly difficult for no good reason, she won't listen to us, and we don't know how to deal with it as we feel that she's locked onto this idea and won't drop it despite all the evidence we've given her.

Any ideas?

Update on my sister thinking that her husband is the father of my baby despite a DNA test proving he wasn't and identifying the real father

quote:

While I didn't fear for the safety of my child or myself, several commenters on the last post did, and when I showed my sister's husband the post, he admitted that he had found a secret camera in their bedroom a few weeks ago. When I heard that we agreed to deal with this now. We talked to my sister yesterday, saying that if she didn't give us a rational reason for her behaviour we would both go and stay with friends (separately) until she saw a mental health professional and we knew it was safe for all of us to be around her. She locked herself in her room. When her husband asked to be let into the room so he could get his bag to stay with his friend they began arguing, and between rounds of arguing with him, she would come crying to me (literally). Between us we patched together what we think is the truth:

While my sister has always told me that she was on the fence about kids, she told her husband that she definitely wanted them. Truth is, she has never wanted children, and doesn't think she ever will. She knew this before she and her husband got together, but lied thinking that after they married she could talk him out of wanting kids. She managed to convince him that they should hold off on kids, until I had a baby, which prompted him to ask her about kids again. She realised she had to leave him but then she lost her job so he was supporting both of them. A no fault divorce requires they live apart for years before filing, and my sister could no longer afford this, so she realised it would have to be an at fault divorce, and it would have to be his fault. She never believed that he was actually the father of my child, but she thought that by freezing out both of us, combined with her accusing us of cheating, being crammed into a small space together, him being good with my son, and our past friendship, it would all lead to us actually having an affair that she could catch on camera. She could then divorce him due to cheating, and rush the process and push for alimony on the grounds that he cheated on her with me while she was unemployed and without alimony she would be stuck living with me, her husbands affair partner. The only flaw in her plan was that neither of us would ever do that to her.

Her husband is currently staying with friends until he figures out what he wants to do. I am at the house still, with my sister and my son. Things are tense, but she's agreed to sell the house, though she isn't happy about it. She has stayed in her area of the house all day and I'm hoping she keeps to this.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

kimbo305 posted:

This bit always stuck out to me. The WRX didn't even come to the US until 2002, and the STi much later. You can modify a 2001 Impreza into STi spec, and it would definitely lead to insurance undervaluing it. Maybe they were just glossing over that, but still.

I love situations like this where a post gets My Cousin Vinnie'd.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Crocobile posted:

She has asked for a DNA test, but she wants it done through one of those ancestry-type services. I've said that I'll do a DNA test in an actual lab that will test for paternity, but I don't want to use one of the online services due to their lack of data protection. My sister says that as the nearest lab to us is a few hours away, this is proof that I don't want a DNA test done as I'm trying to make it more difficult for us to do.
Do the ancestry services even do tests to this level of accuracy? I know we've had stories like this before, but my impression was that there's a decent amount of handwaving / vagueness / straight-up bullshit involved to get their percentages - enough that it wouldn't really hold up as a viable paternity test.

Obviously for the story itself, it doesn't matter since she's clearly just trying to throw poo poo at the wall and hope something sticks, but wondering in general.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ima lmao if the sister and husband do get together now.

When my wife and I got married she was on the fence and so was I but leaning very heavily to the no side. We both agreed that if either of us decided no that's what the choice was gonna be. This is the most important decision a couple can make so jesus christ don't lie about your desires and figure out your game plan if you don't line up from the start.

Fortunately we both decided no. There was always the potential of one of us wanting kids so bad it'd end our marriage but we both knew that moving forward.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mega Comrade posted:

People are making a big deal out of this but it's pretty easy. You just split the bill afterwards with a banking app.

A married couple.

Going out to a restaurant.

Together.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This concept regularly baffles people in this thread. Some married couples have shared bank accounts, some keep their finances separate and square things up periodically. It's just a personal choice. Like how some couples sleep in separate beds.

separate finances is obviously wrong but who am i to judge

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like even then it would be easier to set it up before going out than after. This isn’t exactly a spontaneous outing

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have no qualms about seperate finances but presumably this is a couple both out to enjoy an evening with their significant other. I just don't see why, ever, it would be necessary to have the argument of whether or not someone ordered a dang coca cola so they owe $1.75 more for a communal experience.

Not judging, of course.

judging

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
My ex and I had totally separate finances despite living together for 11 years, and it was still "I'll get dinner this time, you got last time" and "I got the power bill, you wanna get phone and trash since they are roughly equal to that?"

Separate checks honestly sounds like a lot of extra work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

I just don't see why, ever, it would be necessary to have the argument of whether or not someone ordered a dang coca cola so they owe $1.75 more for a communal experience.

that's just run-of-the-mill terminal cheapness

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The three account system is best. As long as you both keep the shared obligations fed to the degree you both agreed to, do whatever you want with your own money

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seperate finances or seperate beds is weird (a pass given to shift workers or CPAP users) but a king size and seperate blankets is a pro tier marriage move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Charity Porno posted:

My ex and I had totally separate finances despite living together for 11 years, and it was still "I'll get dinner this time, you got last time" and "I got the power bill, you wanna get phone and trash since they are roughly equal to that?"

Separate checks honestly sounds like a lot of extra work

I recently saw someone refer offhandedly to "it was Tuesday so I paid for the popcorn" and it turns out they had an arrangement with their partner where on Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun, one pays when they eat out together, and the other pays Tue-Thu-Sat. Their finances are separate, and this way they never argue over whose turn it is to pay, and it evens out over time. It seems to work well for them but also they apparently can communicate like adults. I could definitely see your average AITA poster being mad about getting stuck with a high bill one day, and deliberately ordering something expensive the next day, leading to a passive-aggressive escalating cold war.