Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Fishstick posted:

But really fatshark, what the gently caress are these icons

trying to make sense of strange runes, eh guardsman? :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Game is pretty fun but I am trying to find the balance of Melee/Ranged that I should be going for.

Use one for most of your fighting and use the other for popping hard targets (e.g. if you have a really good gently caress-off gun with low ammo count, use melee for most of your fighting and use that for big beefy things)

Or just focus on melee but use ranged while closing the gap. These have both worked well for me up through difficulty 5 and they worked in Vermintide too.

Pulling out a gun just to cap one mid-range heavily armored chaos warrior dude then swapping back to a sword to cut his buddies down is a very warhammer 40k thing

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 16, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Game is pretty fun but I am trying to find the balance of Melee/Ranged that I should be going for.

The intended balance seems to be melee for nurglites and armor, ranged for specials and rebel guard but the reality is I’mma just play Veteran and shoot the whole time. Which will likely get murdered.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Ran one and a half matches with randos and had a good time with the gameplay, although I do question the decision to go with customisable characters over the old Ubereiks five model. All the voice acting is brilliant but the need to keep conversations fairly open to variation means that you miss out on a lot of the fine detail interactions you got in V2.

Also the lack of subclasses hurts; it was cool realising in V2 that pretty much every class could spec into range and have a weirder class, although maybe this is something that comes out more in darktides late game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The implication I saw was that Sharpshooter etc are the subclasses and the expected quarterly class releasees will be like, “Veteran Gunner” or “Veteran Grenadier” and it seems like the beta is missing some pretty important pieces of buildcraft that have been shown previously.

That said, the complete separation of resources and inventory to per character means I kind of actually dread that model being basically a quarterly wipe of your progress if you have any interest in the new class which is super not my jam for a game like this.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Another thing is that I need to find My Class. I started off with Zelot and I am not sure if I completely vibe with their active skill (At worst, it yeets me off the stage).

Also, may as well ask: Is Vermintide 2 good yet :v:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Got a staff on Psyker finally at 11. Feels very mage-y just like Sienna

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I will be convinced by the new character system if it manages to produce a moment half as memorable as hoggars bridge.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Orv posted:

The implication I saw was that Sharpshooter etc are the subclasses and the expected quarterly class releasees will be like, “Veteran Gunner” or “Veteran Grenadier” and it seems like the beta is missing some pretty important pieces of buildcraft that have been shown previously.

They put up a news post on Steam and all it really did was confuse me more on that, honestly. Nothing about what they're saying really precludes subclasses existing but the way they're framing it makes it sound like what's in the beta re:abilities and feats is all there is until they add totally new classes later (and maybe charge for them.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

They put up a news post on Steam and all it really did was confuse me more on that, honestly. Nothing about what they're saying really precludes subclasses existing but the way they're framing it makes it sound like what's in the beta re:abilities and feats is all there is until they add totally new classes later (and maybe charge for them.)

This is admittedly fairly flimsy but given that despite their massive post-launch support for VT2 they never added new heroes - though obviously that would be a phenomenal undertaking - I sort of doubt they’ll do it here. That coupled with them parsing it as “Veteran: Sharpshooter” and “Zealot: Preacher” makes me relatively confident that setup is correct.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
You know what would be really upsetting? If they never do sword/pistol paired weapons or do it only behind paid DLC. I guess I could kinda understand why not, since it might mess with the stronger ranged combat emphasis this game seems to have, but... there's so many characters in 40K that dual wield pistol and sword, it'd only be natural to have a sidearm as a special attack for some weapons.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Having not played Vermintide the only thing this tells me is that they’re planning on charging for new classes.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I like the gameplay differences between this and Vermintide (especially the Toughness system), but the game is just running too poorly and crashing for me to keep playing this early build. I couldn't even get the game to close properly. Hopefully, the release version will be more stable because the gameplay is a ton of fun and I like a lot of their ideas.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What's the special ammo on the shotgun do?

Also, what's the collateral stat on the autopistol?

So little is explained.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

For anyone having performance issues on an nvidia card, roll your drivers back to the previous version, took me from an unplayably low and inconsistent frame rate that was hitting sub-30fps even at 1080p low all settings with or without DLSS, to ~60-80fps without stuttering at 1440p high most settings no DLSS.

Actual numbers will vary but point is the new drivers are hosed for a lot of people, if your PC suddenly feels like a Switch, it's probably that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ignoring the "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR VIDEO DRIVERS" prompt in the launcher wins again :pwn:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

IthilionTheBrave posted:

You know what would be really upsetting? If they never do sword/pistol paired weapons or do it only behind paid DLC. I guess I could kinda understand why not, since it might mess with the stronger ranged combat emphasis this game seems to have, but... there's so many characters in 40K that dual wield pistol and sword, it'd only be natural to have a sidearm as a special attack for some weapons.

I mean Saltzpyre had his dang pistol rapier combo in the first game, it should have mapped one to one

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

also: holy poo poo the sound design, sountrack, and positional audio engine in this game are phenomenal

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

MrTheDevious posted:

Sorry if this was already posted, but I didn't see it.

If you're having REALLY atrocious performance and you think it's because you have an older GPU, it isn't. Fatshark in their infinite wisdom hide the RTX options from the menu if your GPU doesn't support them....then default them all to ON.

Open up %AppData%\Fatshark\Darktide\user_settings.config and change the following from true to false:

rt_checkerboard_reflections = false
rt_particle_reflections_enabled = false
rt_reflections_enabled = false
rt_transparent_reflections_enabled = false
rtxgi_enabled = false

Then mark the config file read-only or they'll go and helpfully change them all back to true.

I went from 20-30 fps to locked 60 on a 1080 Ti, definitely works

I just want to double back and quote/highlight this post for others, as it made the game play significantly smoother for me so far!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Luckily I’ve had no crashes in the beta, but I’m one of the other invert mouse look people so I’m using a controller in the mean time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Feel like the free grenade generation on veteran is better than anything else in the tier 10 skills.

Followup: Veteran with revolver is sick as hell, never run out of ammo.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 16, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dang, just had a bug on smelter where the game wouldn't let us leave one of the elevators

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, what happens when a psyker overheats?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

Playing this some more, I have to admit I'm coming out of it pretty disappointed. The core gameplay is great. The shooting feels solid and Vermintide melee is always a blast. But everything surrounding that gameplay gives me significant pause. Some of these may be the result of having limited content in the beta but I'm quite worried that isn't the case.

1. Nearly the only reason I can tell that there is more than one level is because you can see them in the mission select menu. It's all identical generic, dark industrial rooms and corridors with very little color. They don't even do anything interesting with the homogeneous theme. I'm not sure I'll ever learn map layouts because they all look exactly the same. Feels like procgen. Hopefully it's only the early missions and they actually inject creativity and variety into the rest of the maps but I don't have a lot of confidence.

2. VT2 launched with 15 classes and currently has 19. Darktide has 4 and they appear to have no more depth or customization than a VT career to make up for it. There are 4 class abilities in this game and 2 of them are charges, which were also just kinda taken from VT2. The zealot is almost copy + pasted from the Vermintide zealot. Hope you really liked him last time. This is absolutely insane.

3. Game has little personality. The generic characters are very boring compared to the U5 and the ridiculous-but-terrifying ratmen had a hell of lot more going for them than plain fightdudes backed up by zombies. Even the Rotblood Tribe was significantly better.

4. Visibility sucks rear end. The maps are super dark and almost everything is a similar size and silhouette, both in terms of enemies and friendlies. The lack of player outlines doesn't help.

5. Very few weapons, which is especially baffling when they're just copy + pasting weapons in from Vermintide. I'm sure there are more in the full game but the extreme lack early on worries me.

6. There are other issues that I can excuse in a beta, but will be unacceptable upon release. The performance, the bugs, the crashes and disconnects. Lack of menu options and push-to-talk, etc.

I don't think it's awful on the level of Back 4 Blood and I'll still likely buy it just to have something going with my friends, but this feels like a very severe downgrade to the previous game.

Every one of these statements is true.

Psyker players, does your brain burst move kill special enemies in one complete use when you are in Tier 3 missions? What about Tier 4 missions?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SuperKlaus posted:

Psyker players, does your brain burst move kill special enemies in one complete use when you are in Tier 3 missions? What about Tier 4 missions?

Tier 3 it won't one-shot the ogryn enemies. IDK about tier 4.

Also convinced that the power sword is the way. It's so, so good. The shove is enough to contain hordes while the peril-building strike not only obliterates whatever it touches (including the prison boss) but builds peril. Which is a good thing, since you have access to a tier 1 trait that regains toughness when you lose peril. Which you can do on demand, all at once, with your ability. Having the empowered melee strike isn't just strong for it's elite-killing effect, it's strong because it helps you manage peril when pressed (which is Very Often in this game). I just don't see how any other available melee weapon competes with that.

Shotgun also feels a cut above the other ranged weapons, though not by as much as the power sword. It just kills stuff good.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

also: holy poo poo the sound design, sountrack, and positional audio engine in this game are phenomenal

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well if it's like the table top game, everyone is suppose to die. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fun fact, if you press middle mouse when you're looking at a special, it marks that special. i'd assume that's common knowledge but literally nobody but me seems to do it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Preacher is definitely melee focused but the guns are a necessity from time to time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

fun fact, if you press middle mouse when you're looking at a special, it marks that special. i'd assume that's common knowledge but literally nobody but me seems to do it.

It's not quite as responsive as it is in VT2. I wonder if they are going to tweak it a bit.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Edmond Dantes posted:

The imperial guardsman’s uplifting primer says that any psyker who behaves more oddly than usual or who is alone without his minders shoulder immediately be shot dead lol.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Wheeee posted:

Yeah, I was grooving out to one track when a choir chimed in and my first thought was that it sounded like background music in Hitman or Freedom Fighters. Turned out I was right because Jesper Kyd did the soundtrack.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah, I was grooving out to one track when a choir chimed in and my first thought was that it sounded like background music in Hitman or Freedom Fighters. Turned out I was right because Jesper Kyd did the soundtrack.

Wooooww what a catch that’s awesome

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

You can also hold down MMB to bring up a ping wheel that lets you drop a "hey let's go here" waypoint

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A couple hours have pretty much confirmed my suspicions as far as replacing the ubersreik five (or four, doesn't matter) with generic nobodies and replacing fully handcrafted level scenarios with semi-random levels made of reusable pieces stapled together, all of which seem be "a dark room": a lot of personality and identity is missing.

something that did surprise me is how much worse the controls feel compared to vermintide, as weapon swaps and blocks and so on are now full of weird delays that make basic actions feel unresponsive, and ordinary swing chains feel uncomfortably slow now. Maybe there's some nuance to this that makes it all make sense but technical performance too atrocious for anything to feel good right now. Meanwhile there's a lot of weird jank like getting hit through block or the zealot charge just clipping you through enemies and also being seemingly uncancellable, forcing you to move past where you want to be, so it's weird and clunky to use compared to SIR KRUBER.

Special enemy visibility is highly bad and I learned to just spam the ping button at everything to see which dark blob is the bad one. They're still going to have a lot of bullshit unavoidable damage like vt2, as I watched a charger spin 90 degrees twice on a dime mid-charge to hit a teammate who was around a corner, and saw the marauder equivalent doing the classic mid-swing skate to hit me after I had dodged out of range.

After every single mission I was given the exact same lovely pistol as a reward (sometimes 2 of the same lovely pistol!), nor have I seen a single other ranged weapon type in the store. I'm calling bullshit on this post's claim that they're launching with "70+" weapons. Basically everything about itemization, its baffling presentation and ??? stats, and the inclusion of gear score again is...yikes. Maybe my ranged weapon not killing basic enemies in multiple headshots or not killing specials from an entire magdump is working as designed and it's supposed to feel like dogshit, or maybe I just need more arbitrary number before it's allowed to feel good.

At least I didn't crash?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

It's a shame his best track in Vermintide 2 was relegated to the weird, difficult DLC secret mission that nobody does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2w3GuWC_YE

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

this game is going to become tedious and boring extremely quickly, but it's fun for now and launching on gamepass

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think the complaints about melee being slow are forgetting that VT2 characters start slow... until you stack enormous attack speed bonuses to become a walking blender. Attack speed buffs may or may not come back, we don't know. I hated the ridiculous blenders of VT2 though so I hope it doesn't return.

The bigger problem, IMO, is that this build clearly doesn't have all the canceling and buffering properly ironed out. The one that really stuck out to me was reloading the shotgun seeming to not buffer at all, or pressing both mouse buttons not reliably doing a shove unless it was very deliberately right then left. Feels very clunky.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 16, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friends and I are into this enough after a couple nights with the beta that I think we're just going to buy this on Steam; the no crossplay thing worries me about the gamepass version and I have some other friends that might buy this on Steam so I'd rather hedge our bets and buy it on the platform we're more likely to have a fourth on for. It's kind of the complete opposite of the Back 4 Blood beta which firmly cemented that as a "we'll play it for a bit on gamepass" title after a session with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ok, running around as the ogryn with a club is loving awesome.