Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Forceholy posted:

Ethnic Groups.
I almost did a spit take when that came up. "Do u know being ETHNIC means you're a societal problem that we have to think very, very hard about? Do u kno? DO U? BITCH! Those ETHNICS are like our poor and elderly wastes of space. drat them all."

So glad Xi is advertising to English speakers. I was really worried that he ran out of good will towards us foreigners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

An Ethnic Home

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it doesn't even matter what ethnicity, xi is polite and tolerant of them all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The ethnics are happy, see how they dance

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Once every year Comrade Xi visits your village, comes into your house, sits down on your filthy mattress, and puts his hand on your thigh before he gazes longingly into your eyes and smooches you on the mouth. With tongue if you're a member of the party.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

Ha ha! They dance differently to the way "normal" people dance. They talk funny too and their clothes are all strange. I hear their food is also delicious, but I haven't tried it, (why would I? It's clearly foreign.)

Look at how inclusive and not discriminatory we are!

Now that's enough dancing for now. Get back in your cage, you need to get your rest before the 12 hour work day in the factory tomorrow. And remember, don't tell your family about this in your one phone call scheduled for next week, or you may well soon find them joining you here.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

I only care if those wastes of space and oxygen have cute little hand-made costumes for me to try on so I can take selfies and pay a Han guy to photograph me for my WeChat profile photo. If they don't have that, why do they exist? Plz, someone tell me.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
BREAKING NEWS:

Uncle Xi has finally stopped going for jet black hair. He is now mixed grey. HOLY poo poo.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HOLY poo poo :siren: :siren: :siren:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
This is a good thread about how messed up the Chinese internet is lately, and I think it's a good estimation of how things are going there as the government clamps down more over time.

https://twitter.com/lizalinwsj/status/1581299384884506634

For example:
https://twitter.com/lizalinwsj/status/1581324876308443136
China is whatever it is now. I have some fond memories, but I'll never assume my past years there are indicative of anything except memories of the past. I am sad for those days to have changed so much, but at least I got to have them when I did.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PITY BONER posted:

BREAKING NEWS:

Uncle Xi has finally stopped going for jet black hair. He is now mixed grey. HOLY poo poo.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

We have entered the Bo Zone

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My God. It's full of Bozos.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
If China unilaterally opposes unilateralism, could that be offset by two other countries bilaterally opposing bilateralism?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

PITY BONER posted:

This is a good thread about how messed up the Chinese internet is lately, and I think it's a good estimation of how things are going there as the government clamps down more over time.

https://twitter.com/lizalinwsj/status/1581299384884506634

For example:
https://twitter.com/lizalinwsj/status/1581324876308443136
China is whatever it is now. I have some fond memories, but I'll never assume my past years there are indicative of anything except memories of the past. I am sad for those days to have changed so much, but at least I got to have them when I did.
A WeChat ban is about as close as you get to rendering someone stateless on mainland, right?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah can someone explain the WEchat thing a bit more for context

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah can someone explain the WEchat thing a bit more for context

Not sure what exactly you're asking but WeChat is the app that runs everything in China. It started as just a chat program like Kakaotalk or Whatsapp but has grown over time. It's used to verify access to almost everything now, call taxis, WeChat Pay is the main way a lot of people access their money and pay for stuff. There's a ton of stuff in China that requires it and if you get banned from WeChat you're boned.

Like when I was there WeChat Pay was in the process of taking over and there were places you couldn't use debit cards anymore, I'd hand it over and the person looked at it like they'd never seen one before. I'm sure it's gotten worse. I think it ties into the covid color coding thing too?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 16, 2022

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Shumagorath posted:

A WeChat ban is about as close as you get to rendering someone stateless on mainland, right?

For communication, kind of. There are other communication apps, but Wechat is king. As for its functions, Alipay has those too.

Grand Fromage posted:

Like when I was there WeChat Pay was in the process of taking over and there were places you couldn't use debit cards anymore, I'd hand it over and the person looked at it like they'd never seen one before. I'm sure it's gotten worse. I think it ties into the covid color coding thing too?

Depending on where you are in China, your Covid health code is tied into your access to public transportation. Some places just check your health code app. Other cities, like Shanghai, tie into the QR code needed to pay for metro tickets.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 16, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
You technically can use alipay for most things now, so a wechat ban isn't as bad as it would have been ~5 years ago, but if you meet someone and refuse to exchange wechat contact, then they will assume that you hate them or have something really weird going on.

And yeah, if you somehow catch a ban to both wechat and alipay... I guess forget about living in cities. Just too essential.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
China doesn’t get brought up enough when discussing Cyberpunk dystopias

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grand Fromage posted:

Not sure what exactly you're asking but WeChat is the app that runs everything in China. It started as just a chat program like Kakaotalk or Whatsapp but has grown over time. It's used to verify access to almost everything now, call taxis, WeChat Pay is the main way a lot of people access their money and pay for stuff. There's a ton of stuff in China that requires it and if you get banned from WeChat you're boned.

I didn't know what WEchat was really just seen it in this thread but didn't know it's importance on all the stuff you listed.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Atopian posted:

You technically can use alipay for most things now, so a wechat ban isn't as bad as it would have been ~5 years ago, but if you meet someone and refuse to exchange wechat contact, then they will assume that you hate them or have something really weird going on.

And yeah, if you somehow catch a ban to both wechat and alipay... I guess forget about living in cities. Just too essential.

Not just cities. I was at a buddy’s wedding in deepest rural Hunan a few years back and when we went out to buy some more beers, the local store would only take WeChat pay, not cash.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
spending the weekend listening to xi dada and clapping at the tv for 2 minutes straight +88888888 social credits

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Booty Pageant posted:

spending the weekend listening to xi dada and booty clapping at the tv for 2 minutes straight +88888888 social credits
Fixed to make appropriate for username.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thetoughestbean posted:

Didn’t the UK leave a person stateless pretty recently?

Also I admit I’m confused: what does the new sanctions actually do

i believe so, i think they did it to a bunch of women who ran off to be trad wives with isis and then when ISIS got hosed up in syria/iraq then they tried to return and got told to gently caress off. normally id agree but most of the women were dumb teen who got tricked/dupped into being trad wives and then were basicaly used as sex slaves/brood mares for isis soldiers before said "husbands" got turned inside out by drone strike or kurdish/shia/us forces.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i believe so, i think they did it to a bunch of women who ran off to be trad wives with isis and then when ISIS got hosed up in syria/iraq then they tried to return and got told to gently caress off. normally id agree but most of the women were dumb teen who got tricked/dupped into being trad wives and then were basicaly used as sex slaves/brood mares for isis soldiers before said "husbands" got turned inside out by drone strike or kurdish/shia/us forces.

This Wikipedia entry is quite concerning, she wanted UK citizenship back but still pro ISIS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamima_Begum

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MrMoo posted:

This Wikipedia entry is quite concerning, she wanted UK citizenship back but still pro ISIS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamima_Begum

Why can’t she just stay in syria?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's probably a lot easier to be a terrorist supporter in a country whose military isn't actively hunting you down

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

She has since recanted the pro ISIS line on the basis of not having to hand it to them etc.

I used to be much less sympathetic but for gently caress's sake she was an indoctrinated teenager exposed to war crimes and then dragged in front of a hostile media circus to comment on it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

She has since recanted the pro ISIS line on the basis of not having to hand it to them etc.

I used to be much less sympathetic but for gently caress's sake she was an indoctrinated teenager exposed to war crimes and then dragged in front of a hostile media circus to comment on it.

Nah. She worked to recruit others into the same situation, and she almost certainly murdered people while in Syria. Her stated reason for no longer supporting ISIS was "corruption", not disillusionment with their goal of violent theocratic supremacy, which she still supports. There should be no guilt associated with jettisoning such a person from society.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Strategic Tea posted:

she was also trafficked into syria in the first place by a canadian intelligence officer, a fact that was then covered up by the uk and canada :^)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

yugioh mishima posted:

she was also trafficked into syria in the first place by a canadian intelligence officer, a fact that was then covered up by the uk and canada :^)

I think it was an intelligence 'asset', rather than 'officer'. Canadian Jack Bauer didn't help her, but someone who the Canadian Intelligence Services paid for information did.

For what it's worth, I'm against the stripping of her British nationality.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
send her to xinjiang i'm sure xi'll sort her :clint:

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Devils Affricate posted:

Nah. She worked to recruit others into the same situation, and she almost certainly murdered people while in Syria. Her stated reason for no longer supporting ISIS was "corruption", not disillusionment with their goal of violent theocratic supremacy, which she still supports. There should be no guilt associated with jettisoning such a person from society.

She was a dumb gently caress teenager that got railroaded because she did an interveiw with a merdoc jurno.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

uncitizening someone for wrongthink is a horrible precedent. if she's done crimes, try her for those and lock her up.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

LashLightning posted:

I think it was an intelligence 'asset', rather than 'officer'. Canadian Jack Bauer didn't help her, but someone who the Canadian Intelligence Services paid for information did.

For what it's worth, I'm against the stripping of her British nationality.

yes you are correct! my bad i forgot the exact details i just saw the story a few weeks back

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

how will society survive if we don’t hold child soldiers accountable for their war crimes

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

hypnophant posted:

how will society survive if we don’t hold child soldiers accountable for their war crimes

its sickening how many countries out there are still pro-child soldier, like Canada, which opposed the torture of child soldiers

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also at least publicly, UK police were furious that CSIS knew she was being smuggled in and didn't bother to tell anyone.

To what degree UK asked the Canadians not to inform us because that would be very inconvenient to know, only a cabinet office guy with a big black marker pen can say

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I read today that Beijing is “indefinitely delaying” releasing GDP and other economic stats instead of just making them up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/maria_shagina/status/1581930727943581696?t=bw_ppWG_wbb186_SDr-Spg&s=19

While I'm glad that China's screwing over Russia, if this is an example of China's "friendship without limits", I'm wondering how they treat their "friends with benefits".