Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I just finished watching the first two seasons. I really like the show, but was not crazy about the end of season two.

So, Belos's big plan was just to kill everyone, and return to the human world as a hero witch hunter? I guess I was expecting there to be more to it than just that. I don't really get the motivation there. But, the addition of the Collector is worse. Turns out Belos was never the real bad guy -- it was Gravity Falls Bill all along. Man behind the curtain reveals are lame. I don't think the show needed an additional escalation. Belos was powerful enough. Now his character is completely sidelined for a much less interesting villain. I would have much preferred if Belos had just been wrapped up properly, and some new plot line was introduced in subsequent seasons.

Yes, I know season 3 is going to be a short-finally. Too soon to say, but to me the ending of the second season just makes it worse. There is so much to resolve in just three episodes. I have a hard time imagining how it's going to be in any way satisfactory.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Belos/Philip's motivation is that he's a white British colonialist who sees anyone who deviates from his norm as an existential threat to the whiehuman race.

And the Collector was never the 'Man Behind the Man', Philip's plans were always his own since before he even heard of the Collector. Philip just needed the Collector to teach him how to do the whole mass draining spell thing and as soon as that started working he ditched the kid.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Technowolf posted:

And the Collector was never the 'Man Behind the Man', Philip's plans were always his own since before he even heard of the Collector. Philip just needed the Collector to teach him how to do the whole mass draining spell thing and as soon as that started working he ditched the kid.

Yes, but to me the result is essentially the same. The interesting villain is undercut and replaced by a less interesting but more powerful villain out of the blue. To me, it is not as satisfying as it would have been if it had instead been resolved without upping the anti, and some new threat was introduced in the next season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Part of that can be blamed on Disney, Dana herself has said that they only came up with the concept of the Collector after they heard the show was getting cut short.

That said, we barely know anything about him at this point aside from some vague hints (he apparently trapped the owl beast in the scroll, he presumably helped the Trappers wipe out most of the titans, he was sealed away by King’s father before Phillip found him with a little unwitting help from Luz and Lilith, and the draining spell and presumably a few other of Belos’ tricks originally belonged to him) so I assume Season 3 will help flesh him out at least a little more

Also each episode of Season 3 is going to be about 44 minutes long and Belos is still alive in some capacity (at the end of S2 a little blob of him fell on Hunter’s back and caught a ride to the human realm, at the end of the credits we see the same blob jump up and close the door to the old shack, and in the Season 3 poster we see Belos’ monster form looming in the background)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 3, 2022

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Larryb posted:

Part of that can be blamed on Disney, Dana herself has said that they only came up with the concept of the Collector after they heard the show was getting cut short.

That's sad to hear. It's sad Disney didn't do this show better.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

moosferatu posted:

That's sad to hear. It's sad Disney didn't do this show better.

Disney are awful about ending stuff at 3 seasons, they did it to Ducktales too. Though Ducktales at least got a proper season 3, Owl House was just plain done dirty :smith:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the bright side, the cast and crew seem confident about the new season based on tweets/interviews I’ve seen and at least the show’s being given an opportunity to get an ending even if it’s not the one they might have originally envisioned so at the moment I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. It still sucks of course

From what I’ve heard Disney is apparently moving the majority of its serialized programming over to D+ in the future (possibly due to Covid related financial problems) and it was just unfortunate timing on the show’s part. If the situation was reversed TOH likely would have gotten a full third season (but no more) and Amphibia would have gotten cut short instead

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Our first real clip of Season 3 is out:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5C5hgbH9hJY

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They showed the whole first six minutes, but they're not going to upload all of it.

It was very cute.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s a second clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8TwjqRIZMJg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure how long this is gonna stay up for but seems someone leaked the whole 6 minute preview as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=93KsViU0-tw

My god I’ve missed Vee, hope she’s at least a semi-regular this season

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 6, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

there a few things that make me reflexively cringe as much as a crowd of fandom weirdos collectively watching new footage

excited for the thing either way

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

there a few things that make me reflexively cringe as much as a crowd of fandom weirdos collectively watching new footage

excited for the thing either way

I don't know what to tell you except that if you weren't "Awww!"/"Squeeeing" at Lumity Studios and "Hi! I'm Bi! you have a cold, dead void where your soul should be.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

my soul is doing quite fine without every having to think about the word "squee"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Amity and Willow Vs Vee’s alarm clock is already my favorite scene (Gus discovering bubble wrap and Lumity Productions are a close second though)

I’m also glad they eased into the timeskip a little rather than jumping right to it (alas the “Now eat this, sucker!” tradition appears to have been bucked but there’s still a chance the line could come up elsewhere in the season)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 7, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Explains why the show feels....off.

I m waay too old to over analyze kids cartoon but from the pilot to now it felt like the world was still kinda in flux about what it wanted to be. I guess the plan for day of unity got changed around etc.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

NGL, I'd generally been operating under the assumption that Luz was already out to her mom, mostly because I didn't trust Disney to let through a coming out scene that's fleshed out enough to feel genuine, but making it a brief part of a montage and letting the audience fill in the gaps themselves is a clever way to get around that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

NGL, I'd generally been operating under the assumption that Luz was already out to her mom, mostly because I didn't trust Disney to let through a coming out scene that's fleshed out enough to feel genuine, but making it a brief part of a montage and letting the audience fill in the gaps themselves is a clever way to get around that.

Same, mostly due to the fact that there’s been a bi pride magnet on the Noceda family fridge since Yesterday’s Lie. Also the show had pretty much normalized that kind of stuff up until now so I didn’t feel like there was any need to explicitly spell it out, doing it this way still works however

Ups_rail posted:

Explains why the show feels....off.

I m waay too old to over analyze kids cartoon but from the pilot to now it felt like the world was still kinda in flux about what it wanted to be. I guess the plan for day of unity got changed around etc.

Assuming Vee was part of the original plan it’s possible the Day of Unity could have initially involved the basilisks Belos had been cultivating.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Same, mostly due to the fact that there’s been a bi pride magnet on the Noceda family fridge since Yesterday’s Lie. Also the show had pretty much normalized that kind of stuff up until now so I didn’t feel like there was any need to explicitly spell it out, doing it this way still works however

Assuming Vee was part of the original plan it’s possible the Day of Unity could have initially involved the basilisks Belos had been cultivating.

She does say the basilisks were brought back to study how they drained magic, so I just figured that was as a part of the draining spell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, once everything’s all said and done I wonder if Dana will ever give us a full rundown on what got kept and what got changed in regards to the last two seasons.

Hunter was definitely planned from the start since he makes a cameo in the first season and is apparently a mashup of two different characters from an early draft of the series. Belos also expressed interest in the human realm back in season 1 so I assume Phillip was always in the cards as well

Also reminder there’s a new Chibiverse episode coming up soon where Luz teams up with Phineas & Ferb

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also this fan comic is amazing and you should all read it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOwlHouse/comments/xxzlb1/home/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 8, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A better quality version of the montage at the end of the preview:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OYZVmX9FvIU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And one more promo featuring a few seconds of new footage:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zB9e0QhfyqE

Luz also plays a major role in the new Chibiverse episode that just released

Also stay off Twitter for a while as apparently some major spoilers regarding the first S3 episode just recently leaked

Edit: And here’s a better quality version of the whole 6 minute preview:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LP2mD8ZAhKs

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 8, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

An actual trailer for S3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB9e0QhfyqE

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I just posted that above but yeah (also Human Vee is adorable)

Don’t know if this has been confirmed anywhere yet but rumor has it the last two episodes will be out in January and April with the titles “For The Future” and “Watching & Dreaming” respectively (making the final message of the series “Thanks For Watching”)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 8, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The games on Luz's desktop are Moonfarm Valley, Holler Knight, and...Hades. Just Hades.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eda was right, Giraffes are horrible creatures:

Willow is not impressed though:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 9, 2022

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Larryb posted:

Also this fan comic is amazing and you should all read it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOwlHouse/comments/xxzlb1/home/
It really is :3:

As is the preview. So many significant scenes in such a short span of time; if this is any indication, these specials will be something to remember.
And, of course: LUMITY STUDIOS

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New image from this weekend’s episode:

And some official art:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/johnbaileyowen/status/1579577395442749441

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Looks like something out of Marble Hornets.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not gonna lie, that was a hell of a way to start things off (poor Hunter :(), I liked that they actually gave Camila some character development and Vee continues to be amazing.

Unfortunately it seems like there’s a gonna be at least a few months between episodes (currently rumored date for the next one is January 14th)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 16, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

good poo poo, that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like that Camila’s coming along for the ride (which means she’s almost guaranteed to meet Eda) though it’s too bad Vee got left behind

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I liked Luz's fun little presentation on her laptop about being bi.

Also, Vee is staying behind to flirt with that enby from the historical society that she's crushing on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

I liked Luz's fun little presentation on her laptop about being bi.

Also, Vee is staying behind to flirt with that enby from the historical society that she's crushing on.

True, that’s as good a reason as any

Also Camila’s a good mom and I like that she’s ultimately just a more responsible version of Luz. I look forward to seeing the two of them kick rear end together in the demon realm

Additionally, here’s the end credits since they kind of got squashed by an ad:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VMMQY2hKSrw

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So are we gonna get back to earth to see Vee panickedly transforming between Camila and Luz every day like she's Archie going on two dates at once?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

An excellent 45 minutes of Owl House.

I'm only sad thinking about how much more they could have done if they had a full regular season to work with.

But happy to see they seem committed to make every second of footage count while wrapping up the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Belos isn’t down for the count yet so I guess there’s still hope of him being the final boss after all. I am curious what’s ultimately going to happen with the Collector though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 16, 2022