Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Naru from Prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My pitch for Chopping Mall 2.

The movie opens on 80’s mall with a different mall that bought into the security robots. Time lapse in a montage skipping through the proceeding years and decades. Music shifts, crowd styles shifts and dwindle as time goes on. Present day it’s abandoned. Bring in the Dan Bell type who explores abandoned spaces. Robots reactivate, vagrants are killed, streamer types crew are killed, cops are killed and teens who are also exploring the space for internet cred are in the mix. We’ll mix it up and it’ll be two robots. Lot of gags, first person death gags with those cameras mounted on their heads looking back at the user, turn an escalator into a meat grinder, laser deaths and a gag around an orange Julius.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Erin (Sharni Vinson) from You're Next

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zwabu posted:

Who are the best Final Girls?

Ripley's always going to be on top. Linda Hamilton is 2nd.

Charlie Bucket is up there.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Time to double the budget of Terrifier 3 and hire a cinematographer and pay to get it color corrected.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2022/10/15/friday-box-office-smile-and-terrifier-2-hold-but-amsterdam-drops-66/?sh=62d390db796c

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Who are the best Final Girls?.
I love Ginny from Friday Part 2, and thinks she’s a really well drawn character.

But without a doubt, Allison from Chopping Mall is a loving beast of quiet competency. Lady would have loving killed Michael Myers in like five minutes.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Tonight I watched the one Halloween movie (other than Ends, which I'm seeing in the theater with friends tomorrow) that I've yet to see - the producer's cut of 6.

It can't be overstated how much the Carpenter soundtrack and more straightforward editing improved it compared to the theatrical version, to say nothing of the story and ending actually being coherent. It's still loving terrible for the most part but I'd at least put it ahead of 5 and Resurrection now (and the Zombie remakes but I try to pretend those never happened).

Psycho Mantits fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 16, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Psycho Mantits posted:

Tonight I watched the one Halloween movie (other than Ends, which I'm seeing in the theater with friends tomorrow) that I've yet to see - the producer's cut of 6.

The story and ending were actually somewhat coherent, and it can't be overstated how much the Carpenter soundtrack and more straightforward editing improved it compared to the theatrical version. It's still largely loving terrible but I'd at least put it ahead of 5 and Resurrection now (and the Zombie remakes but I try to pretend those never happened).

If nothing else the Producers Cut is a "Halloween film" with the right vibe and feel. And that's very much the feel and identity of the franchise and why people talk about H20/Resurrection and the Zombie films as something else but got excited by '18. Because that vibe Carpenter created is what people associate with Halloween probably more than Myers, Laurie, or Loomis. And the Weinstein cut of 6 is the moment when someone decided "we can do something different and better" so its not only a bad film but it doesn't feel like a Halloween film.

The Producer's Cut still has basic story and concept flaws it can't overcome but it at least feels like a Halloween film. And that goes a long way. Its also a better made film in general. And if nothing else it speaks hugely to the power of how a movie can change just in post production.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i didnt like rob zombies halloween 2 originally but after watching the directors cut i thought it was pretty good i dont think it should have been a halloween movie but i appreciate rob trying something new instead of just remaking carpenters halloween 2 like the studio wanted him too

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 16, 2022

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
God I forgot how bad the mask in 4 and 5 looked. Just total dog poo poo.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait, Halloween 6 producers cut has a Carpenter soundtrack??

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Origami Dali posted:

Wait, Halloween 6 producers cut has a Carpenter soundtrack??

No. But it does have one done in the same style with the same Carpenter original themes. The theatrical cut takes all of that out and replaces it with pop music. It completely changes the tone of the film.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

No. But it does have one done in the same style with the same Carpenter original themes. The theatrical cut takes all of that out and replaces it with pop music. It completely changes the tone of the film.

Yeah that's what I meant to say, it's not literally a Carpenter soundtrack but it uses the main themes. Compared to the theatrical version it's night and day.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Which Myers mask had that terrible CGI over it because it was so bad or something?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sigher posted:

Which Myers mask had that terrible CGI over it because it was so bad or something?

H20

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
does the producers cut at least keep that ‘and fools shine on’ song?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

STAC Goat posted:

If nothing else the Producers Cut is a "Halloween film" with the right vibe and feel.

Honestly I don't think the series has been able to reproduce that "Halloween film vibe and feel" since the second one. I think even part III is quite a bit closer than anything else afterwards.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

STAC Goat posted:

Having the signature chase music performed by a rock band is pretty awesome though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The Hausu Usher posted:

It blows my mind that Americans (and pirates) can watch the brand-new Halloween movie just released yesterday on streaming at home. I feel like this is vandalism to cinema based on like the flimsiest of executive meetings from a decade ago. Like Netflix decided to actually make movies one year and there was a meeting where they were considering releasing to cinemas first on a traditional schedule and some execs got hungry so just thought "gently caress it less hassle just to put straight on our site, gently caress having to do traditional cinema distribution and marketing, gently caress that, let's go get some bagels" and a hop and a skip and cinema is now becoming obsolete.

I like watching poo poo at home on a big screen with surround sound as much as the next person, but I could loving wait 6 months so we could have cinema. Also it's not even just the act of going to the cinema any more it's damaging the prestige and how people approach movies to the point of where an endless stream of lovely content has to made to feed the next day's Twitter trending topics and there's something precious and cool we had that is just slipping away. It's madness, I do not understand it. Sign my petition to bring back 6 months delays for home releases, dammit.

Streaming so far is just the latest 'theater killer' same as Video Rental and TV were once considered. The only difference is that streaming is still relatively new in comparison. Streaming services keep their data close to the vest so we don't know how they're really performing. They have to deal with account sharing and group watching. That many streaming services are raising their prices or introducing ads doesn't come across too good, but again, we just don't know. Another thing to consider is a load of us are online so we tend to see the posts and all of people crowing about their home theater and how they haven't gone out to a movie in ages. How many of them just are antisocial for whatever reasons and don't like going out in public in general, or just want to brag about their home set up? How much of that gets parroted by the media because misery sells. I remember when my theater reopened and I had plenty of boomers going on about how upset they were that the theater was damaged during the rioting. Unless you count questionable substances smeared on the glass (not news depending the day), we had no damage. Businesses near us did get hit bad, but not us. When correcting people that we had no damage, they actually seemed dejected that something horrible didn't happen.

Without question, quarantine did damage. Whether it was screwing up filming in progress, film release dates, and people understandably antsy about going out in public again, theaters are recovering. With Spiderman: No Way Home and Top Gun: Maverick, we've hit pre-pandemic numbers by me. People still want the shared experience in the movie theater, case in point how many underage kids are trying to sneak in certain films even with some of them on streaming on release day. Tonight I got to see a Michael Myers, Leatherface, and Jason (best cosplay I've seen, wish I could've taken a picture of it) all talking with management about it being okay to bring in an inflatable chainsaw prop. The other day or so ago, I got to see a twerking Michael Myers out front (dude had some moves going). During Minions, where else would you see a co-worker asking where the walking banana went because they forgot their credit card and you have to respond 'which one, we've got three I've seen already'?

Always remember, movie theaters survived the Great Depression, VHS, Video Rental, and TV. They'll survive this like we always have by adjusting and adapting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
...and by being the only place on earth where you can hear the dialog in a Christopher Nolan movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WHAT?

Speak up.

(I’m bringing my fancy ear plugs I wear to concerts to Oppenheimer next year).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ok Prince of Darkness was really good. It’s such a weird movie that’s part religious horror and part sci fi. There’s a liquid Saran, alien Jesus, super creepy homeless and future people trying to influence the past. Plus returning actors from Big Trouble. The whole thing is a cautionary tale of establishing and following safety protocols in your experiments.

What also struck me is that the conjuring universe version of this would have had the priest dramatically shouting Christ and Bible passages at all the possessed. Here the priest is mostly ineffective and hides for like most of the last 30 mins. I can’t think of any other devil movies like this one.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Kvlt! posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about lol

Haven't seen anyone be "meh" about Halloween Ends, but it's pretty easy to be meh about Zombie's remake with the unnecessary backstory and then a rushed retelling of the original movie with all the atmosphere and tension lowered.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Scissorfighter posted:

Haven't seen anyone be "meh" about Halloween Ends, but it's pretty easy to be meh about Zombie's remake with the unnecessary backstory and then a rushed retelling of the original movie with all the atmosphere and tension lowered.

what?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Finally watching Pieces, thanks to Shudder

e: “I’m afraid I… never pry I to my students’ private lives”

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 16, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Scissorfighter posted:

This is the exact opposite of how people reacted to both of these. Zombie's Halloween mostly just didn't need to exist and did nothing too striking or bad. "Ends" is way more divisive (and interesting.) I fall on the side of really liking it, but wishing it didn't have the baggage of being a trilogy capper. I was way more into Corey's storyline than the promised Laurie/Michael fight, so when that quickly wraps up to continue the plot of "Kills" I found myself less invested. Very ballsy choices all around, though.

I agree completely, and it's a big reason I feel the way I do about both

MrMojok posted:

Pieces rules. If I ever get enough of my new-to-me backlog done I'm able to really rewatch a lot of stuff I've been meaning to, that's near top of the pile

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

M_Sinistrari posted:

They'll survive this like we always have by adjusting and adapting.

Quite the shame.

Scissorfighter posted:

Pretty well said, I really don't care for Zombie's Halloween films because the whole white trash schtick Zombie loves is tired as poo poo, but the films are so mediocre I can't remember much about them. They're the definition of forgettable. But that goes for most of the series so par for the course.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

checkplease posted:

What also struck me is that the conjuring universe version of this would have had the priest dramatically shouting Christ and Bible passages at all the possessed. Here the priest is mostly ineffective and hides for like most of the last 30 mins. I can’t think of any other devil movies like this one.

It's one of the reasons I love it. I avoided watching it for a long time because I thought it was just going to be another religious horror movie but it's so much neater than that.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

MrMojok posted:

yessss. it's honestly amazing and possibly the best film i've watched due to this thread

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

sigher posted:

Quite the shame.

Pretty well said, I really don't care for Zombie's Halloween films because the whole white trash schtick Zombie loves is tired as poo poo, but the films are so mediocre I can't remember much about them. They're the definition of forgettable. But that goes for most of the series so par for the course.
There is nothing forgettable about the first 20 or so minutes of Zombie's Halloween 2. It's probably the scariest most unrelenting series of straight slasher scenes and events put to film. It's exhausting in a good way.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i didnt like rob zombies halloween 2 originally but after watching the directors cut i thought it was pretty good i dont think it should have been a halloween movie but i appreciate rob trying something new instead of just remaking carpenters halloween 2 like the studio wanted him too
I think putting "Weird Al" Yankovic in a Halloween movie is a ton more "ballsy" than anything Ends tried to do.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CODChimera posted:

yessss. it's honestly amazing and possibly the best film i've watched due to this thread

For me that's either Torso or Alucarda

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I watched Deadstream. Overall it was ok, but it started a lot stronger than it ended. I think i would've liked it better if the horror stuff was played more straight and just left the comedy to the host guy.

I forget the wording but the best line was when he told the ghost "stop sending children to fight your battles like you're pewdiepie"

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

sigher posted:

Quite the shame.

It's already happening with concessions offerings. Flix Brewhouse offers full on dinners, even though they're a bitch to severing in a theater environment. Alamo Drafthouse also offers full on dinner menus. Some offer concessions delivery to your seat by the time the movie starts. Some Cinemark theaters have a restaurant in the theater. At my theater, you can also get chicken sandwiches, pretzel bites, mozzarella sticks and chicken strips along with the traditional offerings.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Majkol posted:

There is nothing forgettable about the first 20 or so minutes of Zombie's Halloween 2. It's probably the scariest most unrelenting series of straight slasher scenes and events put to film. It's exhausting in a good way.

Is that the hospital part, where it ends with Laurie having dreamt the entire sequence? Because if so that twist is one of the only bits I remember about Z2 - I remember it because it made me think "why the gently caress am I watching this?"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's already happening with concessions offerings. Flix Brewhouse offers full on dinners, even though they're a bitch to severing in a theater environment. Alamo Drafthouse also offers full on dinner menus. Some offer concessions delivery to your seat by the time the movie starts. Some Cinemark theaters have a restaurant in the theater. At my theater, you can also get chicken sandwiches, pretzel bites, mozzarella sticks and chicken strips along with the traditional offerings.

I'm one of those freaks that legit enjoys getting dinner at a theater. It's nice having a burger n beer while at a theater. I'm not a big popcorn guy tho so before I was just not eating anything. I also have an iron bladder so the beer never makes me miss the movie.

E: RZ's H2 is in the top 5 of Halloween flicks. Hell I'd probably put it in my top 3

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont really like eating during movies but when my local theater started serving beer it def got me into the theater more i have no prob with people eating dinner in a theater if its fun for them

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That sounds like a huge pain in the rear end unless you have one of those cabaret theatres with tables. Like a hotdog I can understand but a big burger seems like a recipe for disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, my local theatre just added a bar alongside concessions and I'm down for a theatre beer. And it pairs perfectly with the true theatre snack, nachos with the plastic cheese.