Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

If anyone likes shootin natsees the season pass of Siper Elite 4 is on sale for 90% off. It’s a lot of content for $3.50

Nice, I've been waiting a sale on that for a while. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SlothfulCobra posted:

Control kind of evokes Mass Effect 2 a lot of the time with how each of the powers emulates a Mass Effect class.

It's certainly neat going through all those office environments, and it's the only game you really want to be accurate with the brightness setting because things can get too washed out in light just as much as they can get too dark.

I started playing Control the other day and didn't understand the brightness settings. It said to move the slider so that the triangle on the left was invisible, middle was just visible and right was visible, but there were only two triangles? :confused:

interesting game but not actually that much fun to play some of the time imo. Awful load times when you die too. Not sure I'll finish it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Control on PS4 was miserable with the load times. You’re better off just turning on the never die mode in the accessibility settings to avoid those endless load screens.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s bizarre how quickly this gen we’ve gone to load times barely even being a thing. Love SSDs.

Last gen games like Control as mentioned but also HZD and Uncharted had horrendous load times and now things can just be near-instant. The Last of Us Part 1 has the slowest I’ve seen so far but it’s still less than ten seconds.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Monster Hunter World load times :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Hitman 2016(?) reboot at launch had maybe the worst load times I’d seen on PS4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Prey 2017 had two entirely separate loading screens in a row for some reason, every time you died

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Hitman 2016(?) reboot at launch had maybe the worst load times I’d seen on PS4

This is why I'm glad I bought 3 on PS5 even though I had to restart my progress. Super quick loads.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Depending on how close to launch you're talking about, there were some issues with the online servers which the game always tried to communicate with and created long load delays due to server connection timeouts. Things went a lot faster if you were properly offline, but the save progress was separate between offline and online modes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Welp I'm starting to get stick drift on my controller. Does anyone have a guide for disassembling and cleaning them that they trust? I thought I should ask before I spend 60$ again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am too

I saw a video where they said they sprayed the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, wiped it and then it worked

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

edit nvm

dumb fail joke

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 20, 2022

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+PS4+Controller+Analog+Drift+(R3+or+L3+not+working)/136967

I've done this myself and ifixit has also instructions for the older model too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Br3instyrm posted:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+PS4+Controller+Analog+Drift+(R3+or+L3+not+working)/136967

I've done this myself and ifixit has also instructions for the older model too.

Much appreciated!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I thought I had beaten the French Revolution Assassin's Creed way back when it came out, but it turned out I had given up about halfway through. The map is an ocean of pickups and icons, it's unreasonable. I thought I was on a new game+, there were so many it didn't look like anything had been done at all. I can tell why I gave up before; between all the stupid collectibles and the controls actively resisting what I want to do, it makes for a very pretty, but frustrating, experience. No other players were available to join when I tried to do a multiplayer mission, and I wasn't really expecting any (and I wasn't expecting to enjoy the experience if anyone had joined).

You get to crawl around Paris and it's pretty, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think they turned the MP servers off a while ago

To this day Unity is one of the few AssCreed games I've never finished.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my favorite part of assassin’s creed unity is the flavor text that was basically one of the game’s historical consultants looking at the camera and ranting about how Les Miserables isn’t about the French Revolution shut the gently caress up about Jean Valjean

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

my favorite part of assassin’s creed unity is the flavor text that was basically one of the game’s historical consultants looking at the camera and ranting about how Les Miserables isn’t about the French Revolution shut the gently caress up about Jean Valjean

There's a collectable in Syndicate where he's (ab)using the Animus to see what all the old beers tasted like, and despising each and every one in very descriptive ways.

Except for one that he legitimately enjoyed had nothing bad to say about.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Last night I had a dream about a Darks Souls ish kinda game where you could block attacks low/medium/high like in a fighting game

Has any non-fighting game actually done this before, or did I just dream the new innovation in action game design

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Last night I had a dream about a Darks Souls ish kinda game where you could block attacks low/medium/high like in a fighting game

Has any non-fighting game actually done this before, or did I just dream the new innovation in action game design

Wasn't that the entire basis of For Honor's combat system?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Isn't that also in Nioh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1494762437605617664?t=wTLVuDip6ARIXtnau5H3zQ&s=19

I know I said a Fallout TV series is a terrible idea but this is perfect ghoul casting imo

They got confused - there's no Nihilanth in Fallout.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Isn't that also in Nioh

Yeah, it’s Nioh basically. I think for honor isn’t really like that, it’s more like a Rock Paper Scissors sort of thing with a ‘top, left and right’ system, and it’s not as much like dark souls as Nioh is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For Honor isn't RPS at all, it's a directional guarding system where you have to read where your opponent's attack is coming from and block accordingly.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah I don’t know why I compared it to rock paper scissors actually, it’s only similar in that there’s three directions and you can attack/block from the top, left or right, I think? Either way, whoever dreamt of the Nioh combat system, play Nioh 2, it’s got one of the better souls like combat systems.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't that also in Nioh

Not really, you get low, mid and high stances but they only effect your attacks, a block is a block.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Surge 2 has a directional blocking mechanic too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really, you get low, mid and high stances but they only effect your attacks, a block is a block.

Volte posted:

The Surge 2 has a directional blocking mechanic too.

it's actually this I was thinking of!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Heavenly Sword had a stance system, where you'd only block basic/heavy attacks if you were doing them yourself. It also didn't have a block button as such, you would block attacks if you weren't doing any other inputs at the moment the enemy connected. You had a light stance but I'm not sure any enemies ever hit you with light attacks, it was mostly for countering arrows and things

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I sort of misread and assumed they meant attacks with high, middle and low stances, but yeah it’s not specific to blocking or parrying, but I forgot about the surge 2 having that mechanic, which is also pretty decent, but I suck really badly at it and I don’t know why, I’m generally not bad with From’s games and haven’t had too much trouble with other souls likes but I barely got past the tutorial in the surge 2.

Also Sifu has a low middle and high dodging/blocking system, and is kind of like a souls like, in that it’s sort of similar to Sekiro.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember The Surge (1) having that mechanic, but also that they slipped up and let the stick inversion setting apply to it, so if you turned on camera inversion you had to push the stick up to crouch and down to jump

I didn't use that mechanic much

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Surge 2's directional block was so overpowered that I beat the final boss twice without dying. I think the second time I did it without getting hit, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Surge 2 owned tbh

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Surge 2 is the closest thing to a Bloodborne-like I've seen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Skyward Sword had directional attacks but I'm pretty sure your block is One Size Fits All in how it works.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Surge 2 owned tbh

Agreed. I also liked the DLC of a suburbia on a cruise ship taken over by robots.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Surge 2 a lot better than 1 because I thought 1 sucked rear end

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Surge 2 a lot better than 1 because I thought 1 sucked rear end
Yeah, way better. Surge 1 was boring to me and I didn't get very far. Better environments and traversal (basically a bona fide Metroidvania) and being able to spec into regaining healing for doing damage means you can play way more aggressively.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
People are correct that Surge 2 is more like Bloodborne than Surge 1. I much preferred Surge 1 though - healing in particular was easier for me to activate and manage in Surge 1. Plus I enjoyed the environments, bosses, map layout and shortcuts and story much more in the Surge 1.

I even thought the DLC for the first was excellent and it was cool to go around a trashed theme park as a mascot.

I think both are great games and really worthy of being called Soulslikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah the mechanic of charging your healing abilities by attacking enemies was a great idea.

It's way better than Surge 1, and this is coming from a person that still enjoyed the first game (even though the environments sucked rear end and were a nightmare to navigate).

Honestly I just really like the mechanic of getting new equipment/upgrades from chopping off enemy parts, makes an enemy a potential treasure trove - sure, you could just kill them by hitting their unarmored head but ooh that armor on their right arm looks real shiny and could be pretty good...