Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I had an hour free so collated the top 10 horrors of the Spook-a-doodle crew (left out anyone who didn't stick to 10 films) and it ended up being 11 movies.

1. The Thing
2. Alien
3. Evil Dead II
4. Return of the Living Dead
= The Shining
6. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
= Night of the Living Dead
8. Halloween
9. Day of the Dead
= The Fly
= Dawn of the Dead
= Bram Stoker's Dracula

Honourable Mentions: The Wicker Man, Black Christmas, Hellraiser and Candyman.

edit: Oops, missed adding Night of the Living Dead into the post - it's joint 6th and doesn't change any of the rest of the list.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Good list imo, Horror goons stay winning

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That's just a full stack of stone-cold classics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

checkplease posted:

Ok Prince of Darkness was really good. It’s such a weird movie that’s part religious horror and part sci fi. There’s a liquid Saran, alien Jesus, super creepy homeless and future people trying to influence the past. Plus returning actors from Big Trouble. The whole thing is a cautionary tale of establishing and following safety protocols in your experiments.

What also struck me is that the conjuring universe version of this would have had the priest dramatically shouting Christ and Bible passages at all the possessed. Here the priest is mostly ineffective and hides for like most of the last 30 mins. I can’t think of any other devil movies like this one.

That's the thing, though - the priest does do that. He spends the time hiding reciting Bible verses, he finds his faith again when he sees the axe, he shouts passages in Latin as he attacks Kelly. Then everything he does proves ineffectual, and his faith is defeated. It is such a good movie.

I watched Halloween Ends and I think that it's better than any Friday or Nightmare sequel. There's some really good touches in there. It just doesn't hold up against the style of H18 or the brutality of Kills.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something about the Cenobites in general portrayal is that they feel very limited for creatures seeking the extremes of sensation. They only portray it as a binary scale between physical pleasure and pain, pain that's almost entirely just using the sense of touch. Where are the cenobites exploring the limits of other senses, smell, taste etc? It would be interesting to have a few cenobites who are relatively mundane like one who became a chef because it allows him to experience a wide variety of stimuli at once from all extremes, or one who simply travels the worlds he has access to because he wants to see everything that he can that exists, good and bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm one of those freaks that legit enjoys getting dinner at a theater.

I don't live around any theaters that serve dinner that you can eat in the screening room, but I do like eating stuff more substantial than popcorn when I'm out. I like nachos with extra jalapenos, but my favorite theater snacking experience was eating soft pretzels dipped in cheese while I watched Halloween '18. It just added something to the experience, made it feel like I was at an indoor drive-in or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What other Chinese horror should I watch? Just rewatched Seventh Curse and am now watching Encounters of the Spooky Kind. Just kind of in a mood for Hong Kong horror.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I have misophonia so people eating in a theater, where I can often hear them chew, slurp and whatnot gently caress me up real bad.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BioEnchanted posted:

Something about the Cenobites in general portrayal is that they feel very limited for creatures seeking the extremes of sensation. They only portray it as a binary scale between physical pleasure and pain, pain that's almost entirely just using the sense of touch. Where are the cenobites exploring the limits of other senses, smell, taste etc? It would be interesting to have a few cenobites who are relatively mundane like one who became a chef because it allows him to experience a wide variety of stimuli at once from all extremes, or one who simply travels the worlds he has access to because he wants to see everything that he can that exists, good and bad.

It's 'cause the person that came up with them was into kink. If one of the Brians from Lightning Bolt came up with them they might have been into extremely loud noises instead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, but they were adapted by other people afterwards. Surely someone should have SOME imagination beyond the original author.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

They only portray it as a binary scale between physical pleasure and pain, pain that's almost entirely just using the sense of touch

As opposed to what? the pain of...taste? Isn't all pain a sense of touch/physical neves?

"This is the WORST tasting burger" isn't exactly scary as "this is the WORST pain"

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

As opposed to what? the pain of...taste? Isn't all pain a sense of touch/physical neves?

"This is the WORST tasting burger" isn't exactly scary as "this is the WORST pain"

Well, taste specifically can get pretty interesting. In the real world, you have people who basically injure themselves on purpose by trying to eat the hottest things possible. How far can you go? What do things that are rotten taste like? If your senses are heightened enough, you might be able to taste fear, agression etc. from the sweat of living beings in the air, since taste and smell are deeply connected. Just spitballing here.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Majkol posted:

Well, taste specifically can get pretty interesting. In the real world, you have people who basically injure themselves on purpose by trying to eat the hottest things possible. How far can you go? What do things that are rotten taste like? If your senses are heightened enough, you might be able to taste fear, agression etc. from the sweat of living beings in the air, since taste and smell are deeply connected. Just spitballing here.

I mean we're still ending at "oh no this tastes so bad" which is a pretty boring thing to watch on screen

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Joe Rogan managed to spin an entire career of being terrible out of people's desire to watch other people eat gross poo poo on TV.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

I mean we're still ending at "oh no this tastes so bad" which is a pretty boring thing to watch on screen

Unless they get sick and then he’s funny to watch

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

I mean, what we are getting right now is also "oh no this hurts real bad" if you want to be reductive? Maybe you can add "and it's not at all what I wanted".
I never saw it, but I hear the movie Perfume had an interesting way of portraying the sense of smell. It does seem inherently uncinematic but I think it could be pulled off, you'd have to get pretty creative though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All I can say is now I'm picturing a Cenobite who eats hot pepper chips all the time and another that never showers. And its a whole different group of friends.

But still very scary.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

What other Chinese horror should I watch? Just rewatched Seventh Curse and am now watching Encounters of the Spooky Kind. Just kind of in a mood for Hong Kong horror.

Magic Cop
Boxer’s Omen
Devil Fetus
Bewitched
Spooky, Spooky
Bio Zombie
Dream Home

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

All I can say is now I'm picturing a Cenobite who eats hot pepper chips all the time and another that never showers. And its a whole different group of friends.

But still very scary.

I knew these guys in high shool. loving terrifying let me tell you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMJHJ0i86ts
This man is a cenobite

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Majkol posted:

I mean, what we are getting right now is also "oh no this hurts real bad" if you want to be reductive? Maybe you can add "and it's not at all what I wanted".
I never saw it, but I hear the movie Perfume had an interesting way of portraying the sense of smell. It does seem inherently uncinematic but I think it could be pulled off, you'd have to get pretty creative though.

Physical pain is much more variety. That's why we have creative slasher kills: seeing someone get shot is different from seeing someone get run over vs someone beaten to death etc vs throw in a woodchipper

Taste all you have is "this tastes bad I guess ill make a face bc its gross"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"I'm Johnny Knoxville and I have such sights to show you!"
*jumps dick-first into a cactus*

"Ahh, exquisite!"

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
"We have such sights to show you"

*beaten

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i agree that all the cenobites are basically the same guy which i find insanely boring and also i would expect kvlt to understand that a smell/taste based cenobite film would have the opportunity for full goop

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm thinking poo poo like Anodyne 2, where people have become corrupted by something called Dust and all their obsessions become heightened - one of the early levels is a guy so obsessed with food that his entire body has turned into one big tongue. Just a naked weirdo covered head to toe in tastebuds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i agree that all the cenobites are basically the same guy which i find insanely boring and also i would expect kvlt to understand that a smell/taste based cenobite film would have the opportunity for full goop

It’s just a stinky fat cenobite eating the newest fast food abomination in his car

“Greater delights…await.”

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

It’s just a stinky fat cenobite eating the newest fast food abomination in his car

“Greater delights…await.”

This man, also, is a Cenobite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofsCr-E1VM

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

Physical pain is much more variety. That's why we have creative slasher kills: seeing someone get shot is different from seeing someone get run over vs someone beaten to death etc vs throw in a woodchipper

Taste all you have is "this tastes bad I guess ill make a face bc its gross"

Cenobites are a team, this guy wants to find out what the amygdala of a person who is being skinned alive by some other Cenobite tastes like. Probably has a hosed up bib that looks like a gigeresque rib cage or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the more you think about the Cenobites the less they makes sense. They’re kinky demons with an inflated sense of self worth imo. I almost kind of liked that movie that basically said they were just a problem branch of hell none of the other demons wanted to deal with. Or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No he’s the wholesome soul who dupes them into taking someone else.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm imagining a LABEAST style Cenobyte who's doing crazy poo poo like eating cactus and 10lb boxes of lard.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

"I'm Johnny Knoxville and I have such sights to show you!"
*jumps dick-first into a cactus*

"Ahh, exquisite!"

Hahaha, that's great. I could see Steve-O as a cenobite.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Jedit posted:

That's the thing, though - the priest does do that. He spends the time hiding reciting Bible verses, he finds his faith again when he sees the axe, he shouts passages in Latin as he attacks Kelly. Then everything he does proves ineffectual, and his faith is defeated. It is such a good movie.

Yeah true though at first the tone differs. He begs for help from Christ instead of invoking the name in power. But right, at the end he does use the Bible as a source of strength and it has no effect. The Satan creature just traps him quickly and then ignores him again. The great part is that after the girl sacrifices herself to push them all into the mirror dimension, he does yes smartly decide to break the mirror. But then he takes all the credit for the saving the day and stopping the day while ignoring the girls sacrifice.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm one of those freaks that legit enjoys getting dinner at a theater. It's nice having a burger n beer while at a theater. I'm not a big popcorn guy tho so before I was just not eating anything. I also have an iron bladder so the beer never makes me miss the movie.

E: RZ's H2 is in the top 5 of Halloween flicks. Hell I'd probably put it in my top 3

Rarely do I get a full meal at the Alamo near me, but I do like their cauliflower buffalo wings or their baked pretzel. Both of those and a couple a vodka gimlets and I’m a happy camper.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This discussion is the topic I was getting at earlier. Frank talks about pain and pleasure, indivisible, but everything that's briefly shown in the film is all hooks in flesh and impaled body parts spinning around on a bloody pillar.

I still haven't read Hellbound Heart (and should/must) but this is the kind of thing you could explore in a lot more depth in a book. Talk about how Cenobites might, say, explore producing some kind of sexual pleasure, or pleasant tickling sensation, but them gradually and relentlessly keep dialing it up until it was hard to take, and eventually unbearable agony, and how you might derive insights coming at that from the other side, learning that the extreme agony of their tortures seemed indistinguishable as the unbearable pleasures.

It just seems like a bit of a bad joke that you only see the torture part in the film (I know, it's a horror film). Like, where the pleasure at?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A victim sees the Cenobites and throws them off by not even being scared or impressed, just annoyed at their cliches. "So your face and neck resemble a giant vagina, so what? Are you trying to make a statement about female sexuality or just trying to be edgy?" "Ummm..." "Because it's not working either way." Then Pinhead's all "Hey, my hearts all exposed in my chest... if you come with us, I'll let you poke it." "drat it, that's actually REALLY tempting..." "And this, vagina face, is why I'M the leader. :smug:"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The cenobites do amplify all of Frank's senses 1000x when they first show up to claim him in the books.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Was Piggy mentioned ITT, I stumbled across it today and the name sounded familiar. I'm intrigued so I'm about to check it out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Piggy based on the short?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright