Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

plotting ur downfall...

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Today I learned that my girls think they're too good for honey nut cheerios.

Just completely uninterested in them as treats, the little ingrates.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falstaff posted:

Today I learned that my girls think they're too good for honey nut cheerios.

Just completely uninterested in them as treats, the little ingrates.

What the gently caress?!
I think your rats are broken. Have you tried turning them off and on again?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

What the gently caress?!
I think your rats are broken. Have you tried turning them off and on again?

Several times, in fact. I'm hoping the next one I get will be a bit more normal, maybe rub off on this two somehow.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Had my girls out on the patio the other day (it's twelve feet off the ground with only one staircase on and off, so I block off the staircase to keep them safely contained), and midway through playtime Theno acquired an "admirer..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wED3CihROeA

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Danger Friend

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/asiiceofhistory...yXOjt4MBXCstvew

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:hmmyes:

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Idea for a photo blog: Take one of those relax deluxe hammocks that every single rat owner seems to have (or one of those sputnik hanging nests for that matter), place it in the wild and take photos of the animals using it. I think it has potential to be adorable.

Not to say that rats in relax deluxes or sputniks aren't adorable, just that I don't have access to any right now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Do it

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
https://bigrat.monster/

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Looks just like one of our girls!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I was looking into finding a buddy for an older rat. He's two, and he lost his buddy about a week ago. They got along amazingly and played all night, but they were also raised together. I've found some local rescue organizations and I can probably get an 18 month old rat to live with him, but I have no experience with older rats and I was curious if this is the kind of thing that is likely to work. Both rats are male and intact. My rate is shy and very low key, and the other rat is apparently pretty shy.

Does anyone have experience getting older male rats to live together. Does it work? I don't know how long my surviving rat will live, and I don't want him to be lonely.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Yes, it can work, and it's better than leaving them alone. You'll want to take introductions slow, though. They might get along swimmingly right from the get-go, but you want to be prepared for things to potentially go the other way. As long as they're both properly socialized, though, they WILL get to the point where they're friends eventually.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"What? So I am carrying around five pieces of food in my mouth to hide in various places in the cage. So?"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

She hungers!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/kekeflipnote/status/1571177152879464451

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Using the computer while chilling with my pet rats

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
God drat it.

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1581094300242169858

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gently caress

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

:(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm making tiny rat masks right now.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
this is bullshit. they are innocent...

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

here's a pic of peppermint being elegant. in the bg is chamomile not being elegant

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I found an old picture of our Pulsar (2013) when we lived in Chicago. I want more ratties but they don't live long enough and it's always a heart break.

And Quasar:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

What's everyone's favourite song adaptation to sing to their rats?

I've recently been singing to the tune of paint it black "I see a cute rat and I want to give it kisses"

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I sing "Baby, baby, baby" to my cat. does that count?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i lean in and say "oppa rat style" while staring them dead in the eyes. no tune

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My little ones have started taking all of the food out of their bowl and hiding it in a couple hidey spots in their cage. They didn't do this before.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

My little ones have started taking all of the food out of their bowl and hiding it in a couple hidey spots in their cage. They didn't do this before.

Preparing for winter.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

About half of the mischiefs I've had over the years have done this, it's normal, instinctual behaviour (albeit annoying.)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I always felt guilty cleaning it up. :sigh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I always feel guilty cleaning up their nests.
They spend so much time ripping everything up, arranging the shreds into a nest and then soaking it all in piss and I'm just destroying all that hard work.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
just put a single square of toilet paper equidistant between them all and they'll be fine

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

My rats hide all their food and then come begging for food immediately. I'm onto you guys...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think I got lucky with my lot, other than a bit of nesting they would only ever take what they needed. I would just top up the bowls each day and they never overate.

Unless it was frozen peas in a bowl of water, of course.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'll be taking home two of these babies when they grow up a little.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
hi babies