Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Danknificent posted:

Hey, I'm a scrub, and I'm trying to find and kill Reshala. I know that successfully taking him down will be its own problem, but right now I'm having trouble just finding him. I *think* I might have found him once at the gas station, but someone threw a grenade out that instakilled me, so I never got to find out for sure. Are there any indications that he and his guys are nearby? I know which areas to check, but I'd welcome any tips for hunting him down.

I also visited Reserve for the first time ever, got lost in the bunker trying to find the exit, and ran out of time probably... one minute short of being able to limp out :negative:

Easiest way I've found is to pay attention to footsteps. When you hear 4/5 guys moving close to each other it's a fair bet. You can double-check by throwing a grenade at them, they should all sound off. As I recall Reshala has a unique voice, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Being instantly killed by a grenade is also a good indicator that it was Reshala’s pack. :v:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Danknificent posted:

Hey, I'm a scrub, and I'm trying to find and kill Reshala. I know that successfully taking him down will be its own problem, but right now I'm having trouble just finding him. I *think* I might have found him once at the gas station, but someone threw a grenade out that instakilled me, so I never got to find out for sure. Are there any indications that he and his guys are nearby? I know which areas to check, but I'd welcome any tips for hunting him down.

I also visited Reserve for the first time ever, got lost in the bunker trying to find the exit, and ran out of time probably... one minute short of being able to limp out :negative:

A grenade landing on your head is actually pretty good indicator that Reshala and his boys are there.

Edit: whelp, don't multitask folks

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Danknificent posted:

Boss spawns rates are suck-rear end low, like 10-15%. He could be in Fortress, Dorms, or Gas. Usually just rush whichever you spawn closest to.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Boss spawns rates are suck-rear end low, like 10-15%. He could be in Fortress, Dorms, or Gas. Usually just rush whichever you spawn closest to.

Reshala and the Zavodskys actually will no longer spawn at fort this wipe. Dorms and New Gas only.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Thanks for the replies, and the dorms/new gas thing is great to know.

I am getting absolutely destroyed on Reserve. I'm not even living long enough to worry about finding an exit. Is the manhole/sewer exit always open? Maybe I can do a no backpack run and at least extract once to close out some of these quests.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My first solo run at Reserve I took a Glock + light, some PACA and a decent tac rig. No-backpack is a great way to get it done; keeps you fast and lets you avoid one of the worst exits in the game. If you don’t spawn in White Queen, go slow and steady and keep your noise down. If you do, run like hell.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

No backpack worked; it was bonkers and I was in combat as I extracted, but it worked! I don't care if it was raggedy. I don't like that map. Knowing that the manhole is there is comforting.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
My favorite map is Reserves, but I mostly do it on my Scav, so my experience is likely way different. If i'm on my PMC, the start of the match is always the hardest for me. Most of the players just hit up a handful of areas. That or they set up to snipe. I can count a handful of times I've been in the raid during the last 15 or 20 minutes and have encountered a player. It almost always a chad, usually running night vision.

When I'm on my scav, I spawn at night and basically move from where I spawned to 1 of my extracts, collecting whatever loot is nearby. I rarely try and search around the map for as much loot as I can, unless I spawn with absolute garbage. But when your scav karma is pretty decent, what you spawn with plus the other few decent items you can find along the way can really turn a profit. I basically just choose speed and quality over quantity, getting back on my PMC as fast as I can.

Danknificent posted:

No backpack worked; it was bonkers and I was in combat as I extracted, but it worked! I don't care if it was raggedy. I don't like that map. Knowing that the manhole is there is comforting.

The tunnel extract is also a great one, just be careful because sometimes it's camped. I'd definitely learn where it is and how to get it happen. It involves pulling a switch, also in the tunnels. The other one that can work out is having someone else open up the bunker hermetic door exit and you use it before they ever get there. Because of it's proximity to the train, you can hang out around that area and be ready to take one of them when it's time.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I managed a good Reserve raid where I got two quests done and escaped through the underground, filled with relief after a VERY CREEPY scav came after me in the bunker, only to find... another quest on Reserve that deals with the bunker.

Edit: Just had a spicy shootout with a scav on interchange who took a ton of bullets, and since I was high on the success of finally killing Reshala today, after I finally got this guy down, I approached the body thinking "did I just kill the interchange boss???" no just a scav wearing that good, white armor. Then I looked up the interchange boss and now that I've read about him I'm scared to go back there

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 15, 2022

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Feels like player scavs are attacking me a lot more than usual lately, which is unfortunate as my aim is bad and I usually die.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They are. They did a patch on the 12th.

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/news/id/239?lang=undefined

The last line just says "Also, we’ve fixed the incorrect Scav behavior when engaging USEC PMCs."

Edit: Oh you said player scavs. My bad. I was checking out the subreddit for Tarkov and saw people complaining about it and assumed your post was about the same.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 16, 2022

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
no, you are correct. the patch activated the kgb kill switch in the limbic lobe of the american gamer. the tarkov project is in its final phase

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Scav runs aside, sometimes I feel like the only Tarkov player just absolutely incapable of getting a kill on PMCs as a PMC. I know half my problem has been ammo, but I finally hit 15 and have access to fancy ammo now, plus an ammo box to hoard good or rare ammo types. Hoping that helps some. It doesn't help that General Sam (who I got into Tarkov because of) has molded be into a ratling after his own image.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Any specific tips for surviving the first 5-10 minuts on Shoreline without getting domed by an unseen sniper? I know the paths out of the eastern spawns near radar station are usually camped. I'm finding it hard to get out of those spawns alive - and yesterday I got one-tapped in front of a swamp village house.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’m on break because cheating and technical issues killed my squad’s desire to keep playing this wipe, so don’t get too discouraged. Ammo is definitely a factor. Your best puncher’s chance at low levels is 7.62x39 PS to the head and chest, or buckshot to the legs.

On Shoreline, figure out where you spawned ASAP and move in concealment at a right angle to all the fastest paths into the resort. Once you’re in cover and the first wave of sweaty PvP starts popping off you can figure out your objective. The only exit I had consistent problems with was the western tunnel. Never approach it from the road; get north of it and clear the overlook, but beware the absolute madmen who will sprint the nearby open field.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CaptainEO posted:

Any specific tips for surviving the first 5-10 minuts on Shoreline without getting domed by an unseen sniper? I know the paths out of the eastern spawns near radar station are usually camped. I'm finding it hard to get out of those spawns alive - and yesterday I got one-tapped in front of a swamp village house.

Hey, you're playing the worst map with some of the worst spawns, enjoy! There is no avoiding it on some raids if you get a corner spawn.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

CaptainEO posted:

real answer: go prone in a bush and make a sandwich

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

tokenbrownguy posted:

real answer: go prone in a bush and make a sandwich
Let the sweatlords run ahead, chill in a bush for 10 minutes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ultimately every map in Tarkov revolves around memorizing the spawn locations and using sightlines & terrain to try and pick off the people closest to you before moving on. Almost every map in Tarkov can be thought of as a bowtie, with the players spawning at the outside edges, engaging in fights in the broad areas before it narrows to a middle chokepoint. Early conflicts are won by knowing where the people nearest to you spawned and where they will probably go, then shooting them while they try to get there, mid raid conflicts are won by taking advantageous positions over the center of the bowtie's chokepoint. If you're not interested in the sweaty boring spawn memorization, hide for the first ten minutes as the others say.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
alternatively, do what I do on shoreline and just send it.

it's TECHNICALLY possible to farm rogues with just a vpo and a 4x. I have about a 3 in 20 success rate doing that. That way you don't mind getting sniped and occasionally get to take out sniper chads on the big rocks

e: wait, I'm thinking of lighthouse, shoreline you're just kinda screwed. Squat in a bush yeah

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I'm getting destroyed on Lighthouse. How do you even get close to the industrial side of the map where the rogue guys are? I'm not even getting killed by other players, just by them. I can't even tell if it's snipers or mounted guns or what. it's brutal.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Danknificent posted:

I'm getting destroyed on Lighthouse. How do you even get close to the industrial side of the map where the rogue guys are? I'm not even getting killed by other players, just by them. I can't even tell if it's snipers or mounted guns or what. it's brutal.

USEC or BEAR?

If your PMC is a USEC you can get considerably closer to the water treatment plant than if your guy is a BEAR. And yes, the rogues are insanely deadly if you're not familiar with their areas/sight lines

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
As mentioned above, learning their placements is super important. I'm to the point where I can clear everything except the back rooftop almost completely safety on any scav I get with a bolt action.

Pro tips: approach from the road, take out the left MG nest first, then hug the inside of the wall and take the right nest from behind. , Loot them, then head back to the road. Once you see the building be VERY careful for the guy on top. Hope he gets to his MG nest and cap him. Then head the road again toward the back building. Once you alert the rogues on top they'll call the stairs, and a grenade thrown from the stairs with a high arc should clear two or three of them.

It takes practice, but can become safe and very profitable once you get it down.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

USEC or BEAR?

If your PMC is a USEC you can get considerably closer to the water treatment plant than if your guy is a BEAR. And yes, the rogues are insanely deadly if you're not familiar with their areas/sight lines

They changed that this patch. You get one freebie as USEC, but the first time you kill a rogue they "remember" you and treat you the same as a BEAR

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Lighthouse is terrifying. I'm scared to peek the Rogues, and the way it's played out for the last two matches is that I get into a big fight before I even reach the rogues, so then I'm limping around all out of drugs, food, and health kits and so I just bypass them by taking the beach to the south road. I'm glad that bypassing them is an option (which I didn't know before; I had a tragic death on the road that way), but that doesn't help me with the fact that I have to place like 100 markers inside their dang fortress compound. The little magic yellow shot is the only reason I got out those times. I got decent loot, but I'm like... zero percent closer to doing these lighthouse quests.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
there's a lot of guides on youtube about how to tackle the rogues, though I personally have used the way I've seen Pestily do it, approaching from the northeast along the fence, which lets you run basically all the way up to the warehouse before any rogues aggro on you, then just clearing rooftops that way

i've done it a fair bit on my scav even

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I've watched some guides and I understand some of it, but my problem is that I'm getting into trouble before I can even reach the Rogues so that I'm in no condition to try anything with them when I do, so I end up slinking out. That's okay; I can figure that part out. I'm going to try approaching from a different direction. I'm not too worried; the nice thing about the marker quests is that you get credit even if you die, so I'll find a way, even if it's just one-way.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I’m new this wipe with about 150 hours played and I just learned that each drawer of a file cabinet is a separate loot container :negative:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Danknificent posted:

I've watched some guides and I understand some of it, but my problem is that I'm getting into trouble before I can even reach the Rogues so that I'm in no condition to try anything with them when I do, so I end up slinking out. That's okay; I can figure that part out. I'm going to try approaching from a different direction. I'm not too worried; the nice thing about the marker quests is that you get credit even if you die, so I'll find a way, even if it's just one-way.

If you’re real desperate, you might try dressing as a scav and following a gaggle of other scavs in later.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Rahu posted:

I’m new this wipe with about 150 hours played and I just learned that each drawer of a file cabinet is a separate loot container :negative:

I didn't know that!

On Lighthouse, I got lucky and made it to the rogues in one piece, then extra lucky in that there didn't seem to be very many of them around. So I got a marker on the chopper, which is great. Then I got greedy and tried to get to the truck that's kind of close to there to mark that, and my luck ran out. But the fact that I got in there and placed a marker is reassuring; I can do that a few more times. This new mission to scope out the roofs, though... oof. Do you have to get all three and then survive? Or do you have to survive for it to count? Or can I just extract some other time to get the credit?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Halloween event is pretty spooky. Tagilla now spawns on every map and he has a scythe :yayclod:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Rahu posted:

Halloween event is pretty spooky. Tagilla now spawns on every map and he has a scythe :yayclod:

Sooooooo can you use the scythe if you kill him?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll let you know as soon as he doesn't instantly murder me, so probably never.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I really hope so, but doubt it. All I wanted was his giant fuckoff hammer.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My first Halloween event in Tarkov happened when I'd only been playing for a few weeks and I had no idea that BSG did anything special for it, until I kicked open the door to the power station on Shoreline and nearly pissed myself at the scav wearing a glowing jack-o-lantern. I had no idea what I was looking at for a second or two and it scared the absolute hell out of me. Was an awesome experience.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Tarkov devs are pretty good with their holiday events, I'll give them that.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
anyone have any inside info on the uhh COD tarkov clone thing?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here is my updated review of the Halloween event:

Spawning in with toxin is bad and not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I finally worked up the courage and returned to Lighthouse and got embarrassingly sniped by a Rogue on a mounted gun right away.

Now salty, I immediately returned to Lighthouse again, got into the compound, completed two quests with a small amount of drama and action and escaped on the train.

In conclusion, Lighthouse is a land of contrasts.